Skip to content

Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

Comments

• @wim said:
    @jimpavloff, it would be so cool if, when a pad is set up for midi-out, the knobs became midi cc senders, including all the automation features.

This would be an absolute killer feature addition!

• One question, how would you compare GR-16 to Arturia Ispark? Is the same kind of animal? The latter I bought it on discount but never clicked on me. Should I expect something substantially different from concept point of view/workflow?

• @AlexB said:
    One question, how would you compare GR-16 to Arturia Ispark? Is the same kind of animal? The latter I bought it on discount but never clicked on me. Should I expect something substantially different from concept point of view/workflow?

Hardly comparable.
    iSpark has a few advantages like in-app sampling, round-robin and multilayer velocity-switched samples on pads, a full-screen step sequencer and a really nice drag&drop song mode, also the sample kits can be exchanged between Spark on desktop and iSpark.
    GR-16 on the other hand has sampled instruments and a great (and soon even better!) synthesis engine that can be played polyphonically (not possible in iSpark!). Modulations and tweaks per-track (part) are much faster in GR-16 because of the 1-screen approach for sound generation.
    Both apps allow for sample import, MIDI synchronisation to external apps and gear, both have a great selection of effects and both are rather straightforward and fast to use.
    If all you need is just a good drum machine, iSpark might fit the bill very well, but composing music can only be done seriously in GR-16.

• @rs2000 said:

@AlexB said:
    One question, how would you compare GR-16 to Arturia Ispark? Is the same kind of animal? The latter I bought it on discount but never clicked on me. Should I expect something substantially different from concept point of view/workflow?

Hardly comparable.
    iSpark has a few advantages like in-app sampling, round-robin and multilayer velocity-switched samples on pads, a full-screen step sequencer and a really nice drag&drop song mode, also the sample kits can be exchanged between Spark on desktop and iSpark.
    GR-16 on the other hand has sampled instruments and a great (and soon even better!) synthesis engine that can be played polyphonically (not possible in iSpark!). Modulations and tweaks per-track (part) are much faster in GR-16 because of the 1-screen approach for sound generation.
    Both apps allow for sample import, MIDI synchronisation to external apps and gear, both have a great selection of effects and both are rather straightforward and fast to use.
    If all you need is just a good drum machine, iSpark might fit the bill very well, but composing music can only be done seriously in GR-16.

When’s the last time iSpark was updated...

• wimwim
    edited September 2018

@anickt said:

@rs2000 said:

@AlexB said:

Hardly comparable.

What is your point? Is it broken and in need of a fix?

• @wim said:

@anickt said:

@rs2000 said:

@AlexB said:

Hardly comparable.

I’d take an app with the level of support @jimpavloff has given to GR-16 to one like iSpark that hasn’t seen an update in 2 years. Read the reviews. @AlexB asked for comparison and this certainly addresses an aspect of comparison.

• wimwim
    edited September 2018

@anickt said:

@wim said:

@anickt said:

@rs2000 said:

@AlexB said:

Hardly comparable.

I’d take an app with the level of support @jimpavloff has given to GR-16 to one like iSpark that hasn’t seen an update in 2 years. Read the reviews. @AlexB asked for comparison and this certainly addresses an aspect of comparison.

I suppose. It just bugs me when people imply apps are dead because they haven't been updated for a long time. I'm not saying you were doing that exactly, but sometimes an app is just "finished", not dead. That doesn't apply if there are shortcomings or bugs, so I was curious if you had any in mind.

Certainly @jimpavloff's amazing dedication and constant improvements are worthy of extra special endorsement! And absolutely I'd recommend GR-16 over iSpark unless someone asked which is the better drum machine (only).

• Hyped for the next update, hope it comes soon, but not TOO soon.

• Is anyone able to export their presets from this app currently? I’ve only been able to just assign my presets to channels on a blank pattern, export that pattern, import the pattern on a second iPad/iPhone, then manually save each channel again as new presets on that device.

Sorry if this was mentioned before but reading 104 pages of comments is a bit much at this point. I skimmed a few hoping to find something... I’ve only had the app I guess 2 weeks. I love it!! Well lots of shortcomings like any “groovebox”, but it’s almost at the point where I can have fun trying to work with/against them.

I’m going to get together a few controllers to make a semi permanent set up just for this app. Trying to figure out exactly what I want to do.

• @wim said:

@anickt said:

@wim said:

@anickt said:

@rs2000 said:

@AlexB said:

Hardly comparable.

I suppose. It just bugs me when people imply apps are dead because they haven't been updated for a long time. I'm not saying you were doing that exactly, but sometimes an app is just "finished", not dead. That doesn't apply if there are shortcomings or bugs, so I was curious if you had any in mind.

Certainly @jimpavloff's amazing dedication and constant improvements are worthy of extra special endorsement! And absolutely I'd recommend GR-16 over iSpark unless someone asked which is the better drum machine (only).

B)

• @DMan said:
    Glad to hear we will have 8 bars. Wavetable, I guess is cool too. What I really really hope for someday is to be able to chain patterns in different time signatures, or at least in a way other than 16 steps forced pattern chain. 8 bars will help though and I can just stay there in one pattern and add more parts by muting and unmuting the extra channels. Now I can have 8 bars of 14 steps for some 7/8 stuff. When I try to chain patterns or export it adds extra steps I don’t want in accordance with the “rhythm base”. So for exporting I can just chop off the parts I don’t want, but pattern chain isn’t going to work so well.

Thanks for making the interface work nicely on our tiny phone screens. This is now what I turn to when I only have my phone and a few minutes to fiddle around. Most other things are way too frustrating and I should really just delete most everything that I haven’t already on my phone and just use Groove Rider.

I’d like to see an improvement in the “Chain Patterns” capability that would make it more like a “Song Mode”. :smile:

• @rs2000 said:

@AlexB said:

Hardly comparable.

ISpark groove / swing quantize is seriously lacking and not sure but unlike Gr16, iSpark can’t manually shift notes and the effects to my ears need improving

• @Audiojunkie said:

@DMan said:
    Glad to hear we will have 8 bars. Wavetable, I guess is cool too. What I really really hope for someday is to be able to chain patterns in different time signatures, or at least in a way other than 16 steps forced pattern chain. 8 bars will help though and I can just stay there in one pattern and add more parts by muting and unmuting the extra channels. Now I can have 8 bars of 14 steps for some 7/8 stuff. When I try to chain patterns or export it adds extra steps I don’t want in accordance with the “rhythm base”. So for exporting I can just chop off the parts I don’t want, but pattern chain isn’t going to work so well.

Thanks for making the interface work nicely on our tiny phone screens. This is now what I turn to when I only have my phone and a few minutes to fiddle around. Most other things are way too frustrating and I should really just delete most everything that I haven’t already on my phone and just use Groove Rider.

I’d like to see an improvement in the “Chain Patterns” capability that would make it more like a “Song Mode”. :smile:

Agreed i think an added song screen mode would help on ipad/iphone

• edited September 2018

@anickt said:

@wim said:

@anickt said:

@rs2000 said:

@AlexB said:

Hardly comparable.

I Agree 100% Arturia are a big brand and have not updated iSpark in ages means I have no Spark to use it - @jimpavloff Jim a one man team has really given his customers lots of new requested features in less than a year This gets my full support for GR16

• Yeah but iSpark has a dedicated hardware controller with lots of flashing lights n stuff :smiley:

• @DMan said:
    Is anyone able to export their presets from this app currently? I’ve only been able to just assign my presets to channels on a blank pattern, export that pattern, import the pattern on a second iPad/iPhone, then manually save each channel again as new presets on that device.

That's exactly how I do it in GR-16 and Gadget, and I guess it's currently the only option.

I’m going to get together a few controllers to make a semi permanent set up just for this app. Trying to figure out exactly what I want to do.

Good idea. Might try my SparkLE controller with GR-16 B)

• @BiancaNeve said:
    Yeah but iSpark has a dedicated hardware controller with lots of flashing lights n stuff :smiley:

Doesn’t it not work properly though?

• edited September 2018

Looking forward to this update...

Best workflow yet...

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aASNJe5i4tE

New patterns bank "Bank B: Techno Sessions" will soon be available inside Groove Rider GR-16 app as In-App purchase!

• Sounds great- looking forward to it- absolute definite purchase even if only to thank you for the attention you have given to this masterpiece.
    Btw the link is still not working in the manual to get to the updates? I mentioned this before- I think it was working on yours Jim- can others maybe check and report back?
    Thanks

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited September 2018

@jimpavloff said:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aASNJe5i4tE

New patterns bank "Bank B: Techno Sessions" will soon be available inside Groove Rider GR-16 app as In-App purchase!

Release this now!!! Just kidding... (not really) :p

• edited September 2018

I'm not exactly sure what this is? New sounds in a new bank of presets? Not remotely interested in techno, but I'll definitely be buying; this app's development is totally crazy (as in good beyond expectation), and if this supports Mr. Pavloff or inspires him to make a lo-fi ambient sound pack, or a broken-piano and cassette vibe sound pack, all the better.

Plus you note there are now 16 EIGHT bars!

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    I'm not exactly sure what this is? New sounds in a new bank of presets? Not remotely interested in techno, but I'll definitely be buying; this app's development is totally crazy (as in good beyond expectation), and if this supports Mr. Pavloff or inspires him to make a lo-fi ambient sound pack, or a broken-piano and cassette vibe sound pack, all the better.

Plus you note there are now 16 bars!

Nowhere in that video were there 16 bars shown. We’re getting 8. Did I miss something?

• Easy Transpose to key\scale would make these In-app crazy.. Key\scale ‘lock’ will be cherry on the top..

• @db909 said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

Plus you note there are now 16 bars!

Nowhere in that video were there 16 bars shown. We’re getting 8. Did I miss something?

Sorry, 8. Your'e correct.

• edited September 2018

I registered here just to add to the heaps of praise already piled on GR-16. I've been using sequencers and synths since the mid 80's and I'm having so much fun with Grooverider at the moment. The built in sampled sounds are excellent, so is the stripped down poison, love it, so immediate and easy to create good patches, and of course the sequencer is great too! It doesn't really need anything else imho. It is what it is, and it's awesome! Hats off and a big thank you @jimpavloff ...you've created an absolutely stellar music production tool!

• edited September 2018

I have recently discovered that stereo delay settings are saved with your sounds presets. This is great news to me. One of the little things that bugged me is you open up the app and everything is pretty mono sounding at first. There’s an initial period of things sounding rather 2 dimensional before you get going, that is a tad uninspiring, even though the goods are within reach. @jimpavloff i encourage you to bake more stereo delay into any future preset banks, for anyone who may start going through the presets as a first step. Might make just a tiny bit better of a first impression.

Anyways, glad I found this. Cool

• @db909 said:
    I have recently discovered that stereo delay settings are saved with your sounds presets. This is great news to me. One of the little things that bugged me is you open up the app and everything is pretty mono sounding at first. There’s an initial period of things sounding rather 2 dimensional before you get going, that is a tad uninspiring, even though the goods are within reach. @jimpavloff i encourage you to bake more stereo delay into any future preset banks, for anyone who may start going through the presets as a first step. Might make just a tiny bit better of a first impression.

This is it- I have actually been thinking this myself for some time- which is why I failed to return to it as often as I hoped I would. I just couldn’t get a radical enough variation of sounds that I liked- even with the Poison engine. I kept thinking to myself that everyone seems to love it- but I can’t get the best out of it. I am just useless at sound sculpting.
    If ever there was an opportunity for selling preset packs- this has to be it. I - and I’m sure many others would be happy to fork out for a list of pre- made sounds.

• @robosardine said:

@db909 said:

This is it- I have actually been thinking this myself for some time- which is why I failed to return to it as often as I hoped I would. I just couldn’t get a radical enough variation of sounds that I liked- even with the Poison engine. I kept thinking to myself that everyone seems to love it- but I can’t get the best out of it. I am just useless at sound sculpting.
    If ever there was an opportunity for selling preset packs- this has to be it. I - and I’m sure many others would be happy to fork out for a list of pre- made sounds.

There are over 70 sound presets currently in GR-16, and will be 50 more in the upcoming Bank B as In-App purchase.