Skip to content

Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

Comments

• Love your app. Love your update.

And FYI - I'd buy any other IAPs you put out. They work as well for listening music as for they do for app functionality. :) (They make a really nice background groove when I'm working!)

• Song mode, please! :D Love this app - was playing with the surprisingly robust slicing functionality earlier. Groove Rider just keeps on giving!

• @Carnbot said:
    I agree, I’d like to see unlimited/lots of user banks too, this current way puts me off, I would probably use a new bank for different projects then, so it’s easier to access them.

This and the jogwheel scroll menu keeps me from using it more. I can see this works as hardware and on small devices like an iPhone it’s a good method. But on a 12.9 iPad it’s more of a hindrance as an interface for me. Although I’m sure if you use it as your main app it eventually sticks with you, but if you are jumping from different workflows it’s hard to get used to personally. :)

Yep, not a fan of the jogwheel either.. those ‘pad’ can toggle so much info as shown in GarageBand BeatSeq......long presses, etc..

Someone mentioned about The Mk 2...

• @RajahP said:

@Carnbot said:
    I agree, I’d like to see unlimited/lots of user banks too, this current way puts me off, I would probably use a new bank for different projects then, so it’s easier to access them.

This and the jogwheel scroll menu keeps me from using it more. I can see this works as hardware and on small devices like an iPhone it’s a good method. But on a 12.9 iPad it’s more of a hindrance as an interface for me. Although I’m sure if you use it as your main app it eventually sticks with you, but if you are jumping from different workflows it’s hard to get used to personally. :)

Yep, not a fan of the jogwheel either.. those ‘pad’ can toggle so much info as shown in GarageBand BeatSeq......long presses, etc..

I like the jog wheel. It’s like a random button, wheel of fortune style

• @db909 said:

@RajahP said:

@Carnbot said:

Me too. This and the combination with menus and lists works well in most cases, except with long lists.

• @db909 said:

@RajahP said:

@Carnbot said:

A random button. Now there’s a good idea! :wink:

• On a 2nd Gen iPad, I’ve been using the latest version of GrooveRider and not one single crackle. It’s handling everything I do just as well as my 2017 Pro. This is crazy, how many new apps running the latest version work flawlessly on a 2nd Gen iPad? I’ve been able to import samples by AudioShare. Haven’t tried importing wavetables in the new update, as I don’t know how but will read manual later.

Still can’t pattern chain odd time stuff, which I’m not surprised, but is the biggest thing holding me back now. At least now I’m stuck in 8 bars, not 4 bars.

I’m not sure about quantize off, it sounds extremely quantized when it is off. Must just be one of the worst MIDI resolutions ever, but it is a groovebox.

• What are the chances of getting a dedicated tips/techniques thread instead of sifting through this one? There are some amazing tips here!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I don't know if it's the last update or iOS 12 fault but it's crashing every time i try to delete all user patterns (both on an iPad pro and a iPhone 8plus). It's not a big problem however since the patterns are correctly deleted.

• @greenboots77 said:
    I don't know if it's the last update or iOS 12 fault but it's crashing every time i try to delete all user patterns (both on an iPad pro and a iPhone 8plus). It's not a big problem however since the patterns are correctly deleted.

Seems like a bug. Thanks for reporting!

• edited September 2018

@jimpavloff said:

@greenboots77 said:
    I don't know if it's the last update or iOS 12 fault but it's crashing every time i try to delete all user patterns (both on an iPad pro and a iPhone 8plus). It's not a big problem however since the patterns are correctly deleted.

Seems like a bug. Thanks for reporting!

Thank to you for this wonderful app! Is there any chance to have next and previous pattern triggered by midi cc in future updates? it would be the last thing to make grooverider perfect for my workflow :)

• edited September 2018

@jimpavloff said:

I think I have a bug with midi learn. It works then I save it but then I keep losing some of the learned controls and I have to keep redoing it, either that or there's sometimes a big delay in receiving the signal after changing parts, think that could be the issue....

• edited September 2018

@Dawdles said:

@slowmotionblues said:
    What are the chances of getting a dedicated tips/techniques thread instead of sifting through this one? There are some amazing tips here!

Yup. Even better, a cheat sheet would be really useful for gr16 if any of the long-time heads have been compiling one they could maybe share?

After some initial trial and error, I never felt the need for something like this - but the best thing you can do is probably to make up your mind about what the most important tasks are and then spend a lazy sunday afternoon reading the fine manual and sketching your own cheat sheet, as everyone has a different workflow and different preferences.
    You can also use screen shots and a drawing program that you can write numbers over buttons or menus to indicate step-by-step procedures :smile:, then just flip through your cheat sheet manual like they're photos.

• @DMan said:
    On a 2nd Gen iPad, I’ve been using the latest version of GrooveRider and not one single crackle. It’s handling everything I do just as well as my 2017 Pro. This is crazy, how many new apps running the latest version work flawlessly on a 2nd Gen iPad? I’ve been able to import samples by AudioShare. Haven’t tried importing wavetables in the new update, as I don’t know how but will read manual later.

This is wicked news! Thanks for that. I have an old iPad 2 at work for lunchtime fun. I just downloaded GR-16 to this iPad and will check it out!

• edited September 2018

@jimpavloff I feel it would be a good idea to make all the Insert Fx also available to select one of them as a Send Fx Especially the Decimate which is creative for an overall bitcrushed/decimated sound to a whole beat - can this be done Jim?
    As it stands the available Send Fx are bit limited to mainly Reverb
    Also need to fix the MFX to be able to be exported with Pattern/Chain Audio Export Stems
    Bit frustrating you can only bounce MFX audio if you audio export Pattern Audio meaning you have to Solo each track then bounce the audio to get the MFX contained in the audio bounce.

• @stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff I feel it would be a good idea to make all the Insert Fx also available to select one of them as a Send Fx Especially the Decimate which is creative for an overall bitcrushed/decimated sound to a whole beat - can this be done Jim?
    As it stands the available Send Fx are bit limited to mainly Reverb
    Also need to fix the MFX to be able to be exported with Pattern/Chain Audio Export Stems
    Bit frustrating you can only bounce MFX audio if you audio export Pattern Audio meaning you have to Solo each track then bounce the audio to get the MFX contained in the audio bounce.

Applying MFX to each part separately during export is technically impossible, as it was described in the past on this thread. If you try to do it this way, you will get a very different sound result than you hear on the master, because in most cases MFX is not additive effect (sum of MFX'es does not equal to the MFX of a sum, and vice versa).

• @Carnbot said:

@jimpavloff said:

I think I have a bug with midi learn. It works then I save it but then I keep losing some of the learned controls and I have to keep redoing it, either that or there's sometimes a big delay in receiving the signal after changing parts, think that could be the issue....

Thats not a bug, it is called parameter "Catch" mode, you can google it. The knob starts to react only after its position matches the position of your midi knob. This prevents sudden value jumps when using a controller. If you want, you can turn it to "Jump" in Settings.

• Thanks to everyone in this thread for supporting me with buying IAP! I really appreciate it!
    There's one more thing I would like to Groove Rider in the future updates to polish it. Regarding making of unlimited projects/folders/user patterns, it is impossible without harming the backward compatibility, it would lead to a total reorganizing the internal data structure. The only thing I can propose here is ability to sub-divide 256 user patterns to several sub-banks, 2 x 128, 4 x 64 or 8 x 32 user sub banks (adjustable in Settings), this is what I'm currently working on. At least you will have a several bank pages for easier navigation in the user patterns list.

But the main (and maybe the last) thing I would like to add to GR-16 is a Song Mode. This would solve the projects problem, because it could replace the term "project" with a term "song". So you would be able to construct songs from the created 256 user patterns. Something similar like it is done in Korg's Wave. And export/import these songs, both, as audio wav data & stems, and as a pattern data (to backup separate songs to some other locations).

• @jimpavloff said:
    Thanks to everyone in this thread for supporting me with buying IAP! I really appreciate it!
    There's one more thing I would like to Groove Rider in the future updates to polish it. Regarding making of unlimited projects/folders/user patterns, it is impossible without harming the backward compatibility, it would lead to a total reorganizing the internal data structure. The only thing I can propose here is ability to sub-divide 256 user patterns to several sub-banks, 2 x 128, 4 x 64 or 8 x 32 user sub banks (adjustable in Settings), this is what I'm currently working on. At least you will have a several bank pages for easier navigation in the user patterns list.

But the main (and maybe the last) thing I would like to add to GR-16 is a Song Mode. This would solve the projects problem, because it could replace the term "project" with a term "song". So you would be able to construct songs from the created 256 user patterns. Something similar like it is done in Korg's Wave. And export/import these songs, both, as audio wav data & stems, and as a pattern data (to backup separate songs to some other locations).

That all sounds good. Thanks for all your hard work on this great app @jimpavloff

• @jimpavloff said:
    Thanks to everyone in this thread for supporting me with buying IAP! I really appreciate it!

Song mode.... nice...

• Song mode indeed! Thank you!

• @jimpavloff said:

I don’t see the number of patterns as a huge limitation given that there is the ability to export and import banks.

Now, THIS, would be terrific! Wave’s song mode is the only thing that has tempted me to consider it.

The only other feature I could hope for making the list would be some way to edit the length of notes separately when more than one note falls on a beat. It seems like you can record different lengths, but as soon as you edit, all the notes then have the same length. Unless I’m missing something. Not a deal breaker, but something that I run into when I try to channel my inner @echoopera in GR-16.

• @wim said:

@jimpavloff said:

I don’t see the number of patterns as a huge limitation given that there is the ability to export and import banks.

Now, THIS, would be terrific! Wave’s song mode is the only thing that has tempted me to consider it.

The only other feature I could hope for making the list would be some way to edit the length of notes separately when more than one note falls on a beat. It seems like you can record different lengths, but as soon as you edit, all the notes then have the same length. Unless I’m missing something. Not a deal breaker, but something that I run into when I try to channel my inner @echoopera in GR-16.

You actually can’t record different lengths. They will display in the sequencer, but only one length will play, not sure how the engine prioritizes. I could be wrong, but I’ve done quite a bit of experimenting with all those details

• Song mode +++

• wimwim
    edited September 2018

@db909 said:

@wim said:

@jimpavloff said:

You actually can’t record different lengths. They will display in the sequencer, but only one length will play, not sure how the engine prioritizes. I could be wrong, but I’ve done quite a bit of experimenting with all those details

Humm. Maybe I’m mistaken, but I thought I had played a chord on the first beat of a pattern, held out the bass note, then had the top note coming in and out across the pattern. Maybe I’m imaging that. Anyway, I’m already violating my self imposed moratorium on making feature requests, so I’ll leave it at that. B)

• Song mode - yes, that would be the cherry on top. Especially if each pattern has a mute part per pattern.

• @jimpavloff said:
    Thats not a bug, it is called parameter "Catch" mode, you can google it. The knob starts to react only after its position matches the position of your midi knob. This prevents sudden value jumps when using a controller. If you want, you can turn it to "Jump" in Settings.

oh I see, that's nice, thanks :) will try it again.

• @db909 said:

@wim said:

@jimpavloff said:

Yes, that is the limitation of step sequencer idiom. To have different independent note length, there must be another, midi file based idiom, but it won't work with step sequencer.

• @wim said:

@db909 said:

@wim said:

@jimpavloff said:

Humm. Maybe I’m mistaken, but I thought I had played a chord on the first beat of a pattern, held out the bass note, then had the top note coming in and out across the pattern. Maybe I’m imaging that. Anyway, I’m already violating my self control to finally stop making feature requests, so I’ll leave it at that. B)

Oh yeah you can play it for sure, but the recorded pattern won’t play back that way. It probably still sounded cool regardless when it played back so you didn’t notice. I’ve had the same thing happen.