Skip to content

Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

Comments

• @Dawdles said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Dawdles said:

@jimpavloff said:
    Thanks to everyone in this thread for supporting me with buying IAP! I really appreciate it!
    There's one more thing I would like to Groove Rider in the future updates to polish it. Regarding making of unlimited projects/folders/user patterns, it is impossible without harming the backward compatibility, it would lead to a total reorganizing the internal data structure. The only thing I can propose here is ability to sub-divide 256 user patterns to several sub-banks, 2 x 128, 4 x 64 or 8 x 32 user sub banks (adjustable in Settings), this is what I'm currently working on. At least you will have a several bank pages for easier navigation in the user patterns list.

But the main (and maybe the last) thing I would like to add to GR-16 is a Song Mode. This would solve the projects problem, because it could replace the term "project" with a term "song". So you would be able to construct songs from the created 256 user patterns. Something similar like it is done in Korg's Wave. And export/import these songs, both, as audio wav data & stems, and as a pattern data (to backup separate songs to some other locations).

Will you still be able to jam patterns in any improvised order in Song mode? Like you would if you opened a Project on octatrack etc? Or would it be a static pattern chain? If the latter then that wouldn't really solve it imho. No good for organising live sets etc..

You added another preset bank no problem? Can we not just pay IAP for empty banks? I guess there must be a math/code reason why not. Bummer tho :( I guess even the mentioned division of the current user bank is better than nothing tho. Thanks for work on it.

I think the order of patterns in Song Mode will be a static list, but you will be able to jump to any position of this list during live playback by tapping desired pattern in this list.

Just occurred to me that it'll need some kind of 'loop current pattern' button to be useable in this context for live improv jams ;)

That's why I suggested the option to organize patterns into sets of 16x16 and trigger patterns by pads (in beat/bar-sync).

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Dawdles said:

@rs2000 said:

@Dawdles said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Dawdles said:

@jimpavloff said:
    Thanks to everyone in this thread for supporting me with buying IAP! I really appreciate it!
    There's one more thing I would like to Groove Rider in the future updates to polish it. Regarding making of unlimited projects/folders/user patterns, it is impossible without harming the backward compatibility, it would lead to a total reorganizing the internal data structure. The only thing I can propose here is ability to sub-divide 256 user patterns to several sub-banks, 2 x 128, 4 x 64 or 8 x 32 user sub banks (adjustable in Settings), this is what I'm currently working on. At least you will have a several bank pages for easier navigation in the user patterns list.

But the main (and maybe the last) thing I would like to add to GR-16 is a Song Mode. This would solve the projects problem, because it could replace the term "project" with a term "song". So you would be able to construct songs from the created 256 user patterns. Something similar like it is done in Korg's Wave. And export/import these songs, both, as audio wav data & stems, and as a pattern data (to backup separate songs to some other locations).

Will you still be able to jam patterns in any improvised order in Song mode? Like you would if you opened a Project on octatrack etc? Or would it be a static pattern chain? If the latter then that wouldn't really solve it imho. No good for organising live sets etc..

You added another preset bank no problem? Can we not just pay IAP for empty banks? I guess there must be a math/code reason why not. Bummer tho :( I guess even the mentioned division of the current user bank is better than nothing tho. Thanks for work on it.

I think the order of patterns in Song Mode will be a static list, but you will be able to jump to any position of this list during live playback by tapping desired pattern in this list.

Just occurred to me that it'll need some kind of 'loop current pattern' button to be useable in this context for live improv jams ;)

That's why I suggested the option to organize patterns into sets of 16x16 and trigger patterns by pads (in beat/bar-sync).

Yeah that's probably a better option for me personally than a song mode. 16 x 16 = Elektron style which can usually work pretty well for a long live jam.

Shame that that would still only = one elektron project available at any one time in GR16 tho, without using backup/import etc to open another one. Maybe some kind of refined backup/load/library system could be worked out? Maybe the backup thing isn't as clunky as I'm imagining, I'll test it out when I get a minute....

On something like an iPad with so much memory it just feels like a strange limitation to have to back up/load projects this way and to have more factory banks than user banks. Not a dealbreaker I guess tho...

Like @jimpavloff said, currently it's more of a conceptual limitation and the aspect of potentially breaking backwards compatibility (although there could be a backwards compatible backup simply with >1 user pattern bank files).
    Sure, iOS storage is not the limiting factor, but honestly I have yet to hit the 256 user patterns mark. You seem to be very productive :)

• @rs2000 said:

@Dawdles said:

@rs2000 said:

@Dawdles said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Dawdles said:

@jimpavloff said:

Yeah that's probably a better option for me personally than a song mode. 16 x 16 = Elektron style which can usually work pretty well for a long live jam.

Shame that that would still only = one elektron project available at any one time in GR16 tho, without using backup/import etc to open another one. Maybe some kind of refined backup/load/library system could be worked out? Maybe the backup thing isn't as clunky as I'm imagining, I'll test it out when I get a minute....

On something like an iPad with so much memory it just feels like a strange limitation to have to back up/load projects this way and to have more factory banks than user banks. Not a dealbreaker I guess tho...

Like @jimpavloff said, currently it's more of a conceptual limitation and the aspect of potentially breaking backwards compatibility (although there could be a backwards compatible backup simply with >1 user pattern bank files).
    Sure, iOS storage is not the limiting factor, but honestly I have yet to hit the 256 user patterns mark. You seem to be very productive :)

By the way, about 256 user patterns, thats pretty easy for me to expand it to, say, 512 empty user patterns.

• This song mode sounds great, look forward to that, will make a big difference for me. Thanks for all the great updates @jimpavloff

Not sure if you've answered this before in this monster thread, but do you plan to add the button controls to midi learn? I'm not sure if they have any midi control baked in yet, I couldn't see anything in the midi spec.

• @Carnbot said:
    This song mode sounds great, look forward to that, will make a big difference for me. Thanks for all the great updates @jimpavloff

Not sure if you've answered this before in this monster thread, but do you plan to add the button controls to midi learn? I'm not sure if they have any midi control baked in yet, I couldn't see anything in the midi spec.

No any plans for button controls yet.

• Sounds good!
    Groove Rider is so much fun. Including syncing over Bluetooth MIDI where the fantastic negative latency correction comes in very handy and you can still have the iPad connected to the Mac for faster audio sample exchange, including charging :smiley:

• Thread started for tutorials, tips etc:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/28714/grooverider-gr-16-tips-and-tricks-megathread/p1?new=1

Feel free to cut and paste any from this thread.

• @slowmotionblues said:
    Thread started for tutorials, tips etc:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/28714/grooverider-gr-16-tips-and-tricks-megathread/p1?new=1

Nooo! The mega thread must expand! :'(

• I am sure feature requests and the like will keep this page coming for years to come ;)

• edited September 2018

@jimpavloff said:

@Carnbot said:

@jimpavloff said:

I think I have a bug with midi learn. It works then I save it but then I keep losing some of the learned controls and I have to keep redoing it, either that or there's sometimes a big delay in receiving the signal after changing parts, think that could be the issue....

Thats not a bug, it is called parameter "Catch" mode, you can google it. The knob starts to react only after its position matches the position of your midi knob. This prevents sudden value jumps when using a controller. If you want, you can turn it to "Jump" in Settings.

@Carnbot said:

@jimpavloff said:
    Thats not a bug, it is called parameter "Catch" mode, you can google it. The knob starts to react only after its position matches the position of your midi knob. This prevents sudden value jumps when using a controller. If you want, you can turn it to "Jump" in Settings.

oh I see, that's nice, thanks :) will try it again.

Yeah this seems to be working well. But after recording automation on a part, the controller can't take over the knob until you record again. Is this intended? The menu updates with ccs but doesn't update the knob. it works with your finger, so you can takeover the knob by touch but not a controller for me. So seems like it should do the same with a controller. I'm using endless controller knobs if that makes any difference.

• edited September 2018

@jimpavloff said:

@Carnbot said:

@jimpavloff said:

I think I have a bug with midi learn. It works then I save it but then I keep losing some of the learned controls and I have to keep redoing it, either that or there's sometimes a big delay in receiving the signal after changing parts, think that could be the issue....

@Carnbot said:

@jimpavloff said:

Yeah this seems to be working well. But after recording automation on a part, the controller can't take over the knob until you record again. Is this intended? The menu updates with ccs but doesn't update the knob. it works with your finger, so you can takeover the knob by touch but not a controller for me. So seems like it should do the same with a controller. I'm using endless controller knobs if that makes any difference.

I have to investigate this, not quite understood what you've just described.

• edited September 2018

@jimpavloff said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Carnbot said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Carnbot said:

@jimpavloff said:

So I mean you can override the automation of a knob with your finger, let go and it goes back to the automation again, which is great. But I can't do this with my controller. If a knob has automation, my midi controller can then only affect the knob position if it's in record mode again. If that makes sense :) It might be intentional though not sure....

• @Carnbot said:

@jimpavloff said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Carnbot said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Carnbot said:

@jimpavloff said:

So I mean you can override the automation of a knob with your finger, let go and it goes back to the automation again, which is great. But I can't do this with my controller. If a knob has automation, my midi controller can then only affect the knob position if it's in record mode again. If that makes sense :) It might be intentional though not sure....

Did you try it with "Catch" knob mode or with "Jump" mode? If in Catch, try to switch to Jump and see. Just curious.

• @jimpavloff said:

@Carnbot said:

@jimpavloff said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Carnbot said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Carnbot said:

@jimpavloff said:

Did you try it with "Catch" knob mode or with "Jump" mode? If in Catch, try to switch to Jump and see. Just curious.

Same in both jump and catch mode. if I stop playback then I can move the knob again with the controller.

• @slowmotionblues said:
    Thread started for tutorials, tips etc:

For those of us still in the foothills this could be a blessing....

• Wanted to give the megathread a bump.

Here’s what I’m working on with it... a live set in the very early stages:

https://youtu.be/JMEuc2QWwdw

• @LucidMusicInc said:
    Wanted to give the megathread a bump.

Love the music and it’s really great to watch you use the app as it goes along.

• @AtticusL said:

@LucidMusicInc said:
    Wanted to give the megathread a bump.

Love the music and it’s really great to watch you use the app as it goes along.

Thank you!

• Yep, great sounds and groove.

• edited September 2018

@jimpavloff couple of minor feature requests that I’d like to mention

1. Now that the app goes to 8 bars could we extend the sample length, double it perhaps so that longer loops could get used?
    2. I’m using the jump button (holding it and hitting the pad) to switch pads but it’s a little problematic because A. If I make a mistake I could jump the pattern which would wreck the set and B I have to tap two buttons to get back to mute mode. The solution I’d offer is to make the part select buttons work in the same way, hold a button and hit the pad. This is the best case option as pushing the buttons does not change the mode. My second alternative to this is an option setting that allows users to either use the Legacy part selector or a more intuitive select button, just as users have the option of toggling Tap or Loop.

Thanks for your time.

• @LucidMusicInc said:

1. Now that the app goes to 8 bars could we extend the sample length, double it perhaps so that longer loops could get used?
    2. I’m using the jump button (holding it and hitting the pad) to switch pads but it’s a little problematic because A. If I make a mistake I could jump the pattern which would wreck the set and B I have to tap two buttons to get back to mute mode. The solution I’d offer is to make the part select buttons work in the same way, hold a button and hit the pad. This is the best case option as pushing the buttons does not change the mode. My second alternative to this is an option setting that allows users to either use the Legacy part selector or a more intuitive select button, just as users have the option of toggling Tap or Loop.

Thanks for your time.

1) This app is not a loop player, it is not intended to play long loops/samples, which can overload it's memory and cause audio drop outs or long time patterns loading.
    2) I can do that part selection stuff this in the next update (Holding Part arrow button + Pad to select a Part).

• @jimpavloff said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

Thanks for your time.

1) This app is not a loop player, it is not intended to play long loops/samples, which can overload it's memory and cause audio drop outs or long time patterns loading.
    2) I can do that part selection stuff this in the next update (Holding Part arrow button + Pad to select a Part).

No worries, I can get by with 4 bar loops or maybe use GR as a midi trigger source for other loop playing apps.

• Here’s my latest and greatest Groove Rider video. A remix of a previous work, loops taken out of Gadget. Performed live with some post processing in Cubasis. At this point I feel like I’m flying with this app! B)

https://youtu.be/GfgMBFLcAiI

• edited September 2018

@LucidMusicInc said:
    Here’s my latest and greatest Groove Rider video. A remix of a previous work, loops taken out of Gadget. Performed live with some post processing in Cubasis. At this point I feel like I’m flying with this app! B)

Not bad one! But one hint: Peak filter is usually not used as a constant effect on the whole master channel, because it alters the spectrum drastically. It sounds better if used only for some temporary fx sweeps/fills, but not in a constant way, imho. You can also try to use it on some specific parts by turning MFX off from the other parts and leaving it On where you want to. P.S. it sounds better if used with chords/pads, but not with drums/hats.

• edited September 2018

@jimpavloff said:

@LucidMusicInc said:
    Here’s my latest and greatest Groove Rider video. A remix of a previous work, loops taken out of Gadget. Performed live with some post processing in Cubasis. At this point I feel like I’m flying with this app! B)

Not bad one! But one hint: Peak filter is usually not used as a constant effect on the whole master channel, because it alters the spectrum drastically. It sounds better if used only for some temporary fx sweeps/fills, but not in a constant way, imho. You can also try to use it on some specific parts by turning MFX off from the other parts and leaving it On where you want to. P.S. it sounds better if used with chords/pads, but not with drums/hats.

The fact that I got it sounding this good on the first take is a testament to the app’s success! I’ll keep that in mind about the MFX filter. I’ve noticed that MFX has some extra FX not included in IFX, tape delay for example. Hoping we might get those. Also if you ever make a GR-64 please consider adding a few more MFX slots like MFX 1-4 that could be toggled and separately assigned. Just an idea. More songs are definitely on the way :)

• edited September 2018

@jimpavloff any chance we can get the arp function working better with the erase button? It treats recorded arps as one long note held down rather than the multiple notes you see in the sequencer, meaning it can’t be cut up and altered via the erase button + more arps. Would be fun to have it behave the same way as in the scale pad. Would also make for some great drum recording. Hopefully it’s doable

• Just got the new update. @jimpavloff doesnt mess about. When he says he’ll do something, he gets it done!

Customisable number of user banks? Done!
    Improved part selection? Done!

Thank you Jim!

Not to rain on the parade, but could we do something about the presets lists also? Subdivide them into categories perhaps?