Skip to content

Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

Comments

• @jaijai said:
    First off, thank you for this awesome app. Groove rider renderend most of my hardware useless :)
    I have a feature request to have an option to make a midi controller context sensitive.
    For example I have various pad controllers like the korg nanopad and akai lpd8. If the pads on these controllers could reflect the pads of groove rider would be awesome. Maybe something like midi-learn on pads. Playing a melody in scale on my controller pads or sequencing, would improve the workflow.
    Thank you for spending so much time on this awesome app and the community.

The pad ARE context sensitive - MIDI being the 'context' - with each pad on it's own MIDI channel. I use a BeatStep and in some instances I setup each pad to transmit on a unique MIDI channel (the way the GR-16 Pads work in Trigger mode), and in others I have all 16 pads on the same MIDI channel. For example - if all my pads are MIDI Channel 1, then they play whatever sound I have assigned to pad one on GR-16. MIDI Channel two for pad 2, Channel 3 for pad 3 etc. Plug your MIDI keyboard in, transmit on Channel 15, and it will chromatically play whatever sound you have assigned to Pad 15.

• @Billewis said:

@jaijai said:
    First off, thank you for this awesome app. Groove rider renderend most of my hardware useless :)
    I have a feature request to have an option to make a midi controller context sensitive.
    For example I have various pad controllers like the korg nanopad and akai lpd8. If the pads on these controllers could reflect the pads of groove rider would be awesome. Maybe something like midi-learn on pads. Playing a melody in scale on my controller pads or sequencing, would improve the workflow.
    Thank you for spending so much time on this awesome app and the community.

The pad ARE context sensitive - MIDI being the 'context' - with each pad on it's own MIDI channel. I use a BeatStep and in some instances I setup each pad to transmit on a unique MIDI channel (the way the GR-16 Pads work in Trigger mode), and in others I have all 16 pads on the same MIDI channel. For example - if all my pads are MIDI Channel 1, then they play whatever sound I have assigned to pad one on GR-16. MIDI Channel two for pad 2, Channel 3 for pad 3 etc. Plug your MIDI keyboard in, transmit on Channel 15, and it will chromatically play whatever sound you have assigned to Pad 15.

Thank you, for your reply.
    What I mean is I would like to play a melody in keys mode on my pad controller or sequence in sequence mode on my pad controller.
    Now it is just a trigger, when sequencing or playing in scale it breaks the workflow switching back to the touchscreen.
    I would like to do more using a hardware controller.

• wimwim
    edited September 2018

So ... if GR-16 is in Keys mode you would like it to understand what note you want to play even though the controller is sending a different note? Whew. That's a pretty unusual request. I think I get it. You're saying midi learn which note you're sending from your controller and have it trigger a pad regardless of what note / octave the pad is playing since you can alter the scale.

Right now the midi in knows what part to play based on the midi channel. Then it knows what note to play for that part based on the note coming from the controller. There would have to be a separate mode that completely breaks that and just triggers the pad as though you touched it, for the selected part only. Interesting idea. It sounds a bit tricky to implement though. But then again we are dealing with some kind of coding super genius here. Jim could probably do it in his sleep.

• edited September 2018

@wim said:
    So ... if GR-16 is in Keys mode you would like it to understand what note you want to play even though the controller is sending a different note? Whew. That's a pretty unusual request. I think I get it. You're saying midi learn which note you're sending from your controller and have it trigger a pad regardless of what note / octave the pad is playing since you can alter the scale.

Right now the midi in knows what part to play based on the midi channel. Then it knows what note to play for that part based on the note coming from the controller. There would have to be a separate mode that completely breaks that and just triggers the pad as though you touched it, for the selected part only. Interesting idea. It sounds a bit tricky to implement though. But then again we are dealing with some kind of coding super genius here. Jim could probably do it in his sleep.

Yes, that is exactly what I mean :)
    BeatMaker 3 works this way with pad controller.
    Through midi learn you can assign the controller pads to app pads. Octave etc is handled in the app.
    It is possile to trigger samples or switch to keyboard mode and play in the set scale.
    I would love to see this in groove rider.
    With the addition of sequence mode.

• i cant remember but is there a way to record audio from another app via audiobus, or aum directly
    into the app?
    instead of implying a sample

this could be pretty cool to record directly
    to a pad.

• No, it doesn’t record audio.

• edited September 2018

@eross said:
    i cant remember but is there a way to record audio from another app via audiobus, or aum directly
    into the app?

to a pad.

Hit a pad
    Tap WAVE > User > tap twice on "Load From AudioShare"
    Record and hit the button "Import into GrooveRider"
    Select the imported sample > done!

I've grown to get used to this procedure. In AudioShare, you can not only cut, fade and normalize audio, but you can also apply IAA FX by hitting the red microphone and switching from Microphone input to File Player, then record the processed audio as long as you like, even multiple FX chained. Great for recording from Audiobus intermediate outputs, EQ, IR reverbs, delays, choruses, compression/limiting and more sophisticated stuff like PureData patches run inside MobMuPlat over IAA :smiley:

• wimwim
    edited September 2018

@rs2000 said:

@eross said:
    i cant remember but is there a way to record audio from another app via audiobus, or aum directly
    into the app?

to a pad.

Hit a pad

I've grown to get used to this procedure. In AudioShare, you can not only cut, fade and normalize audio, but you can also apply IAA FX by hitting the red microphone and switching from Microphone input to File Player, then record the processed audio as long as you like, even multiple FX chained. Great for recording from Audiobus intermediate outputs, EQ, IR reverbs, delays, choruses, compression/limiting and more sophisticated stuff like PureData patches run inside MobMuPlat over IAA :smiley:

Nice. That works pretty well. You can even load GR-16 as the IAA input to re-sample into itself.

Tip of the day right there! 👏

• @rs2000 said:

@eross said:
    into the app?

to a pad.

Hit a pad

So this is just basically pasting in a sample from audioshare right? or is grooverider recording the audio
    coming from audioshare? maybe i’m missiing something

• wimwim
    edited October 2018

It is just bringing in the audio from AudioShare, but in a reasonably streamlined way. Instead of recording, saving a sample, dragging it into GR-16 from the files app, etc ... you can take care of it in just a few steps. The way @rs2000 laid out is only a tiny bit more effort than sampling directly in GR-16 would be if you could do that ... which you can’t.

• @wim said:
    It is just bringing in the audio from AudioShare, but in a reasonably streamlined way. Instead of recording, saving a sample, dragging it into GR-16 from the files app, etc ... you can take care of it in just a few steps. The way @rs2000 laid out is only a tiny bit more effort than sampling directly in GR-16 would be if you could do that ... which you can’t.

+1 :smiley:

• Just bought the first IAP Bank... Now, if only we could ‘easily’ transpose to Key/Scale..

• edited October 2018

@RajahP said:
    Just bought the first IAP Bank... Now, if only we could ‘easily’ transpose to Key/Scale..

Check utilities?

• @RajahP said:
    Just bought the first IAP Bank... Now, if only we could ‘easily’ transpose to Key/Scale..

It's pretty much built in. Or did you mean transpose existing midi to a different scale ?

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@RajahP said:

Check utilities?

Can you Transpose the ‘whole pattern’?.. Seems like it’s just the ‘part’..

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@RajahP said:

It's pretty much built in. Or did you mean transpose existing midi to a different scale ?

Pretty much.. transpose the pattern to a different key/scale.. something like Blocs...

• @RajahP said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@RajahP said:

Check utilities?

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@RajahP said:

Pretty much.. transpose the pattern to a different key/scale.. something like Blocs...

Transposing the pattern would affect the drums too so no :D

Using the part arrow bars you can quickly transpose the parts needs with a few taps. ;)

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@RajahP said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@RajahP said:

Check utilities?

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@RajahP said:

Using the part arrow bars you can quickly transpose the parts needs with a few taps. ;)

I actually agree with this. Thank God it doesn't do a full transpose. Although being able to choose which layers are transposable would negate this problem. No. I will not make more feature requests DX

• @jimpavloff think i found a bug. I’ve got my user banks divided into 16 by 16 and it seems I can’t copy one pattern and paste over another. I do the copy function, go to new pattern, paste pattern, it says pattern pasted, but when I press write to save the new copy, the name doesn’t appear, the pattern name is blank and nothing is in the pattern. Also I’m not able to swipe left or right to initialize patterns unless my swiping is really terrible

• @db909 said:
    @jimpavloff think i found a bug. I’ve got my user banks divided into 16 by 16 and it seems I can’t copy one pattern and paste over another. I do the copy function, go to new pattern, paste pattern, it says pattern pasted, but when I press write to save the new copy, the name doesn’t appear, the pattern name is blank and nothing is in the pattern. Also I’m not able to swipe left or right to initialize patterns unless my swiping is really terrible

This is called "new features need some blood" )) Don't worry, it will be fixed in the upcoming update soon (I've already uploaded it for review). Meanwhile, I'll recommend you to keep yourself from copying the patterns, before the update is out. Btw, there also will be one small but handy improvement in this update, wait for it...

• @jimpavloff said:

@db909 said:
    @jimpavloff think i found a bug. I’ve got my user banks divided into 16 by 16 and it seems I can’t copy one pattern and paste over another. I do the copy function, go to new pattern, paste pattern, it says pattern pasted, but when I press write to save the new copy, the name doesn’t appear, the pattern name is blank and nothing is in the pattern. Also I’m not able to swipe left or right to initialize patterns unless my swiping is really terrible

This is called "new features need some blood" )) Don't worry, it will be fixed in the upcoming update soon (I've already uploaded it for review). Meanwhile, I'll recommend you to keep yourself from copying the patterns, before the update is out. Btw, there also will be one small but handy improvement in this update, wait for it...

I should’ve known you were already on it. Thank you sir!

• Awwwweeee yeaaaaaaaaah :D

• edited October 2018

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@RajahP said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@RajahP said:

Check utilities?

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@RajahP said:

I actually agree with this. Thank God it doesn't do a full transpose. Although being able to choose which layers are transposable would negate this problem. No. I will not make more feature requests DX

Ok.. just the top pads 1-8 (instruments) the bottom can be regarded as drums.. and while we are at it, if you have samples (loops) in those pads, it should transpose to the key/scale also...The Idea is, any pattern you select will playback quantized to key/scale (with scale/key lock option)..Any pack you buy, can fit to any song+, like Block Waves on steroids...
    Anyway, maybe in MK2 version.. Still loving and learning this app..

EDIT...The channel 10 reserved for ‘just’ drums in K.E.W is just brilliant.. easy to use my Future Drummer there..

@jimpavloff said:

@db909 said:

Thank God... I was going nuts trying to paste to new pattern...

• edited October 2018

New update is live. Awwwwwwwwweeee yeeeeeaaaaaahhh B)

Jim you are a WIZARD!

• @jimpavloff Awesome fix, super cool on the nested folders, etc,much appreciated.

Well as I do, I got to thinking again. And I got to thinking that the perfect final cherry to place on top of this sublime cake would perhaps be the auto-erase/replace record mode we hypothesized about a while back. If it’s straight up not doable, then that’s that, but IF it’s at all possible, why not really stick it to Korg hard and make GR-16 the only other app besides the shamefully abandoned iKaossilator to feature this rare delight?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • We need to make a day this month a GrooveRider 16 Day of jams to honor you @jimpavloff.

You are an unstoppable machine and we are not worthy of your gifts.

Keep up the amazing work and thank you for all the great work you do.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Folder support for samples is great! Thank you thank you thank you!

It took a bit to figure out how to import zip files. At first I was trying to import from AudioShare and that didn’t work. Then I copied the zip file into the On My iPad > Groove Rider. When I touched the file in the files app it popped open a dialog box in GR to import the file.

• @Dawdles said:

@db909 said:
    @jimpavloff Awesome fix, super cool on the nested folders, etc,much appreciated.

Well as I do, I got to thinking again. And I got to thinking that the perfect final cherry to place on top of this sublime cake would perhaps be the auto-erase/replace record mode we hypothesized about a while back. If it’s straight up not doable, then that’s that, but IF it’s at all possible, why not really stick it to Korg hard and make GR-16 the only other app besides the shamefully abandoned iKaossilator to feature this rare delight?

Personally the only major thing the korg app has over this now for me is onscreen keyboard vs pads. I genuinely think way more people would click with gr16 if they could input notes via a keyboard and not pads layout. Keyboard players are a funny bunch ;)

Personally I can live with it as is, not a dealbreaker. But I’d definitely appreciate and use an onscreen keys option if one appeared in the final scene ;)

The option of onscreen keyboard on the top layer and pads on the bottom. Keybed with user defined scales too :) O we are so greedy lol

• edited October 2018

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@Dawdles said:

@db909 said:
    @jimpavloff Awesome fix, super cool on the nested folders, etc,much appreciated.

Personally the only major thing the korg app has over this now for me is onscreen keyboard vs pads. I genuinely think way more people would click with gr16 if they could input notes via a keyboard and not pads layout. Keyboard players are a funny bunch ;)

Personally I can live with it as is, not a dealbreaker. But I’d definitely appreciate and use an onscreen keys option if one appeared in the final scene ;)

The option of onscreen keyboard on the top layer and pads on the bottom. Keybed with user defined scales too :) O we are so greedy lol

I’m not knocking the idea but bear in mind it’s designed to work on phones as well and I can’t see how a toggle between pads and keys on that would work. With the pads what you’ve got essentially is a split two octave keyboard. Takes a little imagination remembering which note is which perhaps but if you think of it in terms of intervals, it’s simply counting up or down from the root note pad.