Skip to content

Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

Comments

• edited October 2018

@LucidMusicInc said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@Dawdles said:

@db909 said:
    @jimpavloff Awesome fix, super cool on the nested folders, etc,much appreciated.

Well as I do, I got to thinking again. And I got to thinking that the perfect final cherry to place on top of this sublime cake would perhaps be the auto-erase/replace record mode we hypothesized about a while back. If it’s straight up not doable, then that’s that, but IF it’s at all possible, why not really stick it to Korg hard and make GR-16 the only other app besides the shamefully abandoned iKaossilator to feature this rare delight?

Personally the only major thing the korg app has over this now for me is onscreen keyboard vs pads. I genuinely think way more people would click with gr16 if they could input notes via a keyboard and not pads layout. Keyboard players are a funny bunch ;)

Personally I can live with it as is, not a dealbreaker. But I’d definitely appreciate and use an onscreen keys option if one appeared in the final scene ;)

The option of onscreen keyboard on the top layer and pads on the bottom. Keybed with user defined scales too :) O we are so greedy lol

I’m not knocking the idea but bear in mind it’s designed to work on phones as well and I can’t see how a toggle between pads and keys on that would work. With the pads what you’ve got essentially is a split two octave keyboard. Takes a little imagination remembering which note is which perhaps but if you think of it in terms of intervals, it’s simply counting up or down from the root note pad.

On the iPhone, the line of pads combined with selectable scales is no different from the way the Gadget keyboard works.
    It wouldn't hurt to indicate the root key on each octave though :)

• @rs2000 said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@Dawdles said:

@db909 said:
    @jimpavloff Awesome fix, super cool on the nested folders, etc,much appreciated.

Well as I do, I got to thinking again. And I got to thinking that the perfect final cherry to place on top of this sublime cake would perhaps be the auto-erase/replace record mode we hypothesized about a while back. If it’s straight up not doable, then that’s that, but IF it’s at all possible, why not really stick it to Korg hard and make GR-16 the only other app besides the shamefully abandoned iKaossilator to feature this rare delight?

Personally the only major thing the korg app has over this now for me is onscreen keyboard vs pads. I genuinely think way more people would click with gr16 if they could input notes via a keyboard and not pads layout. Keyboard players are a funny bunch ;)

Personally I can live with it as is, not a dealbreaker. But I’d definitely appreciate and use an onscreen keys option if one appeared in the final scene ;)

The option of onscreen keyboard on the top layer and pads on the bottom. Keybed with user defined scales too :) O we are so greedy lol

I’m not knocking the idea but bear in mind it’s designed to work on phones as well and I can’t see how a toggle between pads and keys on that would work. With the pads what you’ve got essentially is a split two octave keyboard. Takes a little imagination remembering which note is which perhaps but if you think of it in terms of intervals, it’s simply counting up or down from the root note pad.

On the iPhone, the line of pads combined with selectable scales is no different from the way the Gadget keyboard works.
    It wouldn't hurt to indicate the root key on each octave though :)

Having an option though would not take away from what the phone already has.

• Having an option though would not take away from what the phone already has.

This wouldn’t have to be too complicated. Just make it an option on the “Keys” pages and swipe right and left to switch back and forth between pads and a keyboard. That’s the place you’d want a traditional keyboard to show up and it wouldn’t compromise the existing workflow.

• @Billewis said:

Having an option though would not take away from what the phone already has.

This wouldn’t have to be too complicated. Just make it an option on the “Keys” pages and swipe right and left to switch back and forth between pads and a keyboard. That’s the place you’d want a traditional keyboard to show up and it wouldn’t compromise the existing workflow.

Having a keyboard would enhance workflow certainty. My only point above was that it’s no simple feat, in the context of designing something appropriate for smaller screens.

• edited October 2018

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@Dawdles said:

@db909 said:

I'd like to add my upvote for this as well.

No idea how easy/hard it would be to implement, but my money is on this dev to get it done, if it fits in with his vision for the app.

• what does this mean? > @Dawdles said:

Just read update notes. Nested sample folder support for samples!!!!!!! This rules. Nice one @jimpavloff :)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • that’s what I took away from it too, but I don’t see where in the app that would be implemented. I’m sure i’m just overlooking it. lol > @Dawdles said:

@eross said:
    what does this mean? > @Dawdles said:

Just read update notes. Nested sample folder support for samples!!!!!!! This rules. Nice one @jimpavloff :)

Can organise samples in folders now. I think that’s what it means at least, haven’t checked out the implementation yet.

• @jimpavloff thanks again Jim excellent update The only thing for me to add would be a basic compressor per pad Basic with just a Threshold only as can use the AMP EG (ADSR) to do Envelope shaping - Can a basic compressor be added in the same menu as the HaaS delay that you added - is this possible if not no worries though it would mean being able to do a full mix in GR16

• I’m going to hijack this thread for a second. @jimpavloff ive been looking at AU FX and as far as I’m concerned nothing really meets the criteria I’m after when it comes to mixing and automating. May I propose that you make your MFX pad into a separate AU plugin? The JIM AUDIO AU FX unit?

Perhaps it’s technically impossible but your MFX and combined IFX lend to some incredible sounding unexpected results, especially when you delve into the looper, sidechainer, tape delay and off beater.

For those like myself who’ve asked for bigger kaoss pads and more MFX this is something that would be a happy compromise in my opinion because users get the power of a powerful FX module if they want to sequence their stems in a linear DAW and the developer gets some new revenue. Hope I’m not stepping out of bounds but it I thought it was such a powerful idea I had to put it out there.

• @eross said:
    that’s what I took away from it too, but I don’t see where in the app that would be implemented. I’m sure i’m just overlooking it. lol > @Dawdles said:

@eross said:

Can organise samples in folders now. I think that’s what it means at least, haven’t checked out the implementation yet.

Organize the files into folders within the On My iPad > Groove Rider folder in the files app. You’ll then see the folder see the folder structure within the app. It works great.

You can also use “open in” on zip files to move them in to a folder, with the underlying structure of the zip file intact.

• oh ok? thanks that makes more sense. > @wim said:

@eross said:
    that’s what I took away from it too, but I don’t see where in the app that would be implemented. I’m sure i’m just overlooking it. lol > @Dawdles said:

@eross said:

Organize the files into folders within the On My iPad > Groove Rider folder in the files app. You’ll then see the folder see the folder structure within the app. It works great.

You can also use “open in” on zip files to move them in to a folder, with the underlying structure of the zip file intact.

• Woohoo for sample folders!!!

OK, this just became my 'must learn inside/out' app. No more dabbling. :smiley:

Jim, you ROCK!

• @AudioGus said:
    Woohoo for sample folders!!!

Jim, you ROCK!

Once you get comfortable, it’s amazing how quickly you can do everything. Did not find KEW to be very quick at all

• @db909 said:

@AudioGus said:

Jim, you ROCK!

Once you get comfortable, it’s amazing how quickly you can do everything. Did not find KEW to be very quick at all

If KEW gets sampler import I will probably feel more motivated to use it beyond making sample fodder. As it is I need to dedicate the IFX and MFX along with external FX / BM3 to get things I really like. Thats OK but to me the beauty of a groovebox is the chill yet productive all in one flowy vibe. GR is feeling like the fun I had with Elastic drums but with more potential, particularly in the melodic zone.

• @AudioGus said:

@db909 said:

@AudioGus said:

Jim, you ROCK!

If KEW gets sampler import I will probably feel more motivated to use it beyond making sample fodder. As it is I need to dedicate the IFX and MFX along with external FX / BM3 to get things I really like. Thats OK but to me the beauty of a groovebox is the chill yet productive all in one flowy vibe. GR is feeling like the fun I had with Elastic drums but with more potential, particularly in the melodic zone.

Tip for melodies, use the erase button plus the scale pad to alter them live. Lots of fun

• @db909 said:

@AudioGus said:

@db909 said:

@AudioGus said:

Jim, you ROCK!

Tip for melodies, use the erase button plus the scale pad to alter them live. Lots of fun

Ooohlah! thanks!

• wimwim
    edited October 2018

@jaijai said:

@Billewis said:

@jaijai said:
    First off, thank you for this awesome app. Groove rider renderend most of my hardware useless :)
    I have a feature request to have an option to make a midi controller context sensitive.
    For example I have various pad controllers like the korg nanopad and akai lpd8. If the pads on these controllers could reflect the pads of groove rider would be awesome. Maybe something like midi-learn on pads. Playing a melody in scale on my controller pads or sequencing, would improve the workflow.
    Thank you for spending so much time on this awesome app and the community.

The pad ARE context sensitive - MIDI being the 'context' - with each pad on it's own MIDI channel. I use a BeatStep and in some instances I setup each pad to transmit on a unique MIDI channel (the way the GR-16 Pads work in Trigger mode), and in others I have all 16 pads on the same MIDI channel. For example - if all my pads are MIDI Channel 1, then they play whatever sound I have assigned to pad one on GR-16. MIDI Channel two for pad 2, Channel 3 for pad 3 etc. Plug your MIDI keyboard in, transmit on Channel 15, and it will chromatically play whatever sound you have assigned to Pad 15.

Thank you, for your reply.
    What I mean is I would like to play a melody in keys mode on my pad controller or sequence in sequence mode on my pad controller.
    Now it is just a trigger, when sequencing or playing in scale it breaks the workflow switching back to the touchscreen.
    I would like to do more using a hardware controller.

Hey, I just discovered that what you want to do is possible with OMNI mode, I think. Check the manual, last page.

[edit] nvm - doesn’t work in keys mode, only for pads. But, since the basic capability is there maybe it could be extended to keys mode.

• @jimpavloff will it be possible to add Pad Link Groups - i.e 1pad triggers other pad/s as the user triggers pad manually? The current option “ paste part notes” is cool but a Pad Link setting would be even cooler :-) if cannot be done no problem

• @stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff will it be possible to add Pad Link Groups - i.e 1pad triggers other pad/s as the user triggers pad manually? The current option “ paste part notes” is cool but a Pad Link setting would be even cooler :-) if cannot be done no problem

This would be cool actually

• Must say, this app is growing..
    It’s absolutely Amazing..

• How does one record mutes on this?

• @RajahP said:
    How does one record mutes on this?

Can you give an example of what you'd like to do?

• edited October 2018

@rs2000 said:

@RajahP said:

Ok.. trying to like automate (record) the mutes while a pattern is playing.. Like if you have an 8 bar pattern, while the pattern is playing, I would like to record mutes ‘live’.. like muting the bass for like 2 bar, muting a snare part etc, all live.. and have it played back with the mutes as I have recorded..

Thanks..

• @RajahP said:

@rs2000 said:

@RajahP said:

Ok.. trying to like automate (record) the mutes while a pattern is playing.. Like if you have an 8 bar pattern, while the pattern is playing, I would like to record mutes ‘live’.. like muting the bass for like 2 bar, muting a snare part etc, all live.. and have it played back with the mutes as I have recorded..

Thanks..

Mutes are constant during a pattern and cannot be automated.

• Can this play samples chromatically yet ? When I last tried you had to modulate pitch but I prefer to be able to play using either the pads or a keyboard.

• @AndyPlankton said:
    Can this play samples chromatically yet ? When I last tried you had to modulate pitch but I prefer to be able to play using either the pads or a keyboard.

Yes it can in 'Keys' mode...

• @Samu said:

@AndyPlankton said:
    Can this play samples chromatically yet ? When I last tried you had to modulate pitch but I prefer to be able to play using either the pads or a keyboard.

Is there a timestretch option, though? I can't remember.

• @RajahP mutes can either be quantised and recorded to audio as performed or programmed as part of the pattern in which case you can duplicate and chain patterns. You can also use trig conditions to set a note not to play on a certain interval.

RTFM >:)

• @Michael_R_Grant said:

@Samu said:

@AndyPlankton said:

Is there a timestretch option, though? I can't remember.

It's more like an 'old school' mono sample player so no time-stretch but it's got automation of sample start & end which is quite handy. Also the loop can be tempo-synced old-school style meaning the pitch changes to match the tempo.