Skip to content

Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

Comments

• wimwim
    edited October 2018

@RajahP said:
    Midi recorded into Xequence llive from a GR16 jam...

The recorded midi can be turned around so that it plays back in GR-16, which could be a solution to the request for recording mutes. What I’m doing is setting up Xequence to record GR-16 performances. Any mutes done live in GR-16 result in no midi being recorded in Xequence at that time. I can basically jam out for as long as I like and then play back what I did in GR-16 just as it was ... including automation.

You just have to remember that when you play back the midi, you don’t want any pads muted in GR-16. If they’re muted, of course nothing will play back.

It takes a lot of time to set up 16 output channels matched to 16 input sources, so I saved an empty project as a starting point. I just load the “template” project, then save-as with a new name so that I don’t overwrite the template. Oh - and you probably want to turn off record quantize in Xequence so GR-16 swing, etc. is preserved.

I’m going to try posting an AB3 preset that has everything already set up. Don’t know if it’ll work though, I’ve had trouble transferring a few presets between devices with Xequence. If it doesn’t load the project, then I’ll post a zip file of the project itself.

AB3 is the ideal way to go with this IMO. Set Xequence to a one-bar count-in with metronome. Switch over to GR-16, then press the REC button for Xequence in the AB3 toolbar. When you hear the metronome count-in hit play in GR-16 (not Audiobus). Recording will start in sync. Jam away, and when done stop Xequence from the AB3 toolbar.

Workin’ great here. ymmv.

Audiobus preset 'Xequence - GR-16': http://preset.audiob.us/nQugraZQD83KwU9

Thing of beauty ...

• @RajahP said:

You're a prince!

• edited October 2018

@wim said:

@RajahP said:

The recorded midi can be turned around so that it plays back in GR-16, which could be a solution to the request for recording mutes. What I’m doing is setting up Xequence to record GR-16 performances. Any mutes done live in GR-16 result in no midi being recorded in Xequence at that time. I can basically jam out for as long as I like and then play back what I did in GR-16 just as it was ... including automation.

You just have to remember that when you play back the midi, you don’t want any pads muted in GR-16. If they’re muted, of course nothing will play back.

It takes a lot of time to set up 16 output channels matched to 16 input sources, so I saved an empty project as a starting point. I just load the “template” project, then save-as with a new name so that I don’t overwrite the template. Oh - and you probably want to turn off record quantize in Xequence so GR-16 swing, etc. is preserved.

I’m going to try posting an AB3 preset that has everything already set up. Don’t know if it’ll work though, I’ve had trouble transferring a few presets between devices with Xequence. If it doesn’t load the project, then I’ll post a zip file of the project itself.

AB3 is the ideal way to go with this IMO. Set Xequence to a one-bar count-in with metronome. Switch over to GR-16, then press the REC button for Xequence in the AB3 toolbar. When you hear the metronome count-in hit play in GR-16 (not Audiobus). Recording will start in sync. Jam away, and when done stop Xequence from the AB3 toolbar.

Thing of beauty ...

Great.. Let’s see what the wizard is brewing.. Song Mode will be a killer for this thing.. it has grown to be the ultimate song creator.. I still think recordable mutes will be a winner ..
    Thanks for the preset.. will dig into it later..

Bless..

@ALB said:

@RajahP said:

You're a prince!

These developers are Gods..

Bless..

• I’d like to throw in a vote for “starting bar offset” for the patterns in the song mode @jimpavloff

• Any idea why touchpad hold doesn’t hold the arp?

• @DaveMagoo said:
    Any idea why touchpad hold doesn’t hold the arp?

Two finger tap for latch

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@DaveMagoo said:
    Any idea why touchpad hold doesn’t hold the arp?

Two finger tap for latch

Cheers

• @LucidMusicInc said:
    Wanted to give the megathread a bump.

Here’s what I’m working on with it... a live set in the very early stages:

https://youtu.be/JMEuc2QWwdw

How are you capturing the video with sound, and the wooden background?

• edited October 2018

@jimpavloff I’ve been using GR-16 to sequence other apps and it seems to cause midi timing issues when switching apps.

There’s no glitching when I’m only sending MIDI Notes but the timing glitches out when I turn MIDI Out CC to On and send CC data from GR-16 knobs, It only happens when switching apps.

I’m running an iPad Air 2. GR-16 running in AUM as an IAA generator, sending notes/CCs to Troublemaker (Cutoff, Res, Env and Decay). Using AUM to route the CCs recoeved from GR-16 to the correct parameters in Troublemaker.

Is this an issue with GR-16? Is there some settings I can try to stop it? I already tried changing the audio buffer settings but it doesn’t seem to help.

On a side note is there any chance you can add the ability to change the MIDI CC number of GR-16s knobs. I see it has MIDI learn but thats only useful if you are recieving data. If I want to change the CC.number of what’s being send there is no way to do it except use an external MIDI filter. I’m actually wondering if using AUMs midi filter to reroute the MIDI CC number is what is causing the glitches. Thanks.

• @sdesign said:

@LucidMusicInc said:
    Wanted to give the megathread a bump.

Here’s what I’m working on with it... a live set in the very early stages:

https://youtu.be/JMEuc2QWwdw

How are you capturing the video with sound, and the wooden background?

Capturing video with the built in screen recorder. Sometimes sound is recorded separately into Cubasis but the screen recorder can capture sound too. The video is edited in LumaFusion.

• @LucidMusicInc @jimpavloff @wim and any other grooverider wizards. Is there a way to make a pattern play say only bar 3 or 4 of an 8 bar pattern ? Would make editing midi clips much easier. I'm pretty sure there is a way to do this and I'm just being slow after reading the manual.....

• wimwim
    edited October 2018

@gonekrazy3000 said:
    @LucidMusicInc @jimpavloff @wim and any other grooverider wizards. Is there a way to make a pattern play say only bar 3 or 4 of an 8 bar pattern ? Would make editing midi clips much easier. I'm pretty sure there is a way to do this and I'm just being slow after reading the manual.....

• @wim said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:
    @LucidMusicInc @jimpavloff @wim and any other grooverider wizards. Is there a way to make a pattern play say only bar 3 or 4 of an 8 bar pattern ? Would make editing midi clips much easier. I'm pretty sure there is a way to do this and I'm just being slow after reading the manual.....

Wait. So press once to start loop press second time to end loop ? God I need to get home to try this out. Thanks :D

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@wim said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

Wait. So press once to start loop press second time to end loop ? God I need to get home to try this out. Thanks :D

Hold the button for loop start and release to end the loop. B)

• Damn but that is awesome. You can even wrap around to loop bar 4 - 1, etc.

• @sdesign said:
    @jimpavloff I’ve been using GR-16 to sequence other apps and it seems to cause midi timing issues when switching apps.

There’s no glitching when I’m only sending MIDI Notes but the timing glitches out when I turn MIDI Out CC to On and send CC data from GR-16 knobs, It only happens when switching apps.

I’m running an iPad Air 2. GR-16 running in AUM as an IAA generator, sending notes/CCs to Troublemaker (Cutoff, Res, Env and Decay). Using AUM to route the CCs recoeved from GR-16 to the correct parameters in Troublemaker.

Is this an issue with GR-16? Is there some settings I can try to stop it? I already tried changing the audio buffer settings but it doesn’t seem to help.

On a side note is there any chance you can add the ability to change the MIDI CC number of GR-16s knobs. I see it has MIDI learn but thats only useful if you are recieving data. If I want to change the CC.number of what’s being send there is no way to do it except use an external MIDI filter. I’m actually wondering if using AUMs midi filter to reroute the MIDI CC number is what is causing the glitches. Thanks.

@jimpavloff It seems when running in the background GR-16 stops its graphics showing the knobs turning. When you switch back there is a slight delay before the knobs appear to be turning again. The timing glitches seem to happen at the same time as the GUI glitches. Could this be the problem? I have background mode on so thats not the problem

• edited October 2018

@sdesign said:

@sdesign said:

@jimpavloff It seems when running in the background GR-16 stops its graphics showing the knobs turning. When you switch back there is a slight delay before the knobs appear to be turning again. The timing glitches seem to happen at the same time as the GUI glitches. Could this be the problem? I have background mode on so thats not the problem

Please describe these timing glitches: are they notes that play at incorrect/shifted time? Or is it CC send values, delayed in time?

• @jimpavloff said:

@sdesign said:

@sdesign said:

Please describe these timing glitches: are they notes that play at incorrect/shifted time? Or is it CC send values, delayed in time?

I’ve made a little video to show you...
    https://youtu.be/j0N647cML0o

Looking back at the video there seem to also be audio spikes making the meter go red

• @sdesign said:

@jimpavloff said:

@sdesign said:

@sdesign said:

Looking back at the video there seem to also be audio spikes making the meter go red

That happens with other apps. I’ve seen it with just @brambos apps in AUM. I think it could be something to do with the iOS issue that brought on crackling audio. I’m pretty sure it’s not specific to GR.

• edited October 2018

@anickt said:

@sdesign said:

@jimpavloff said:

@sdesign said:

@sdesign said:

That happens with other apps. I’ve seen it with just @brambos apps in AUM. I think it could be something to do with the iOS issue that brought on crackling audio. I’m pretty sure it’s not specific to GR.

You mean the ScrollView and UIswitch bug? I thought that had been fixed. It only happens if MIDI CCs are being sent/recieved. Its fine otherwise.

• @jimpavloff I’ve just tested it in Audiobus and it works fine with no glitches. The only problem is that I had to use MidiFlow to create a new virtual port to convert GR-16s MIDI CC numbers to match that of TroubleMaker. It works but is a real pain to have to use a 3rd party app.

Do you think you could update GR-16 so that you can select the MIDI CC sent/recieved for each knob rather than having to learn them which doesn’t really work when using G-16 to send CCs as there is nothing for it to learn from, if that makes sense?

• edited October 2018

Are there plans for a pc version? I would happily pay for a groovebox on the pc. A pc compatibel version of Poison-202 would also be awesome.

• edited October 2018

@jaijai said:
    Are there plans for a pc version? I would happily pay for a groovebox on the pc. A pc compatibel version of Poison-202 would also be awesome.

I believe this has already been asked before, but If you're really looking for a Windows groovebox-type program, there's "Groove Machine" from Image Line for example:
    https://www.image-line.com/plugins/Synths/Groove+Machine/
    It's only a 32bit VST and does not seem to be under active development anymore.

• @jimpavloff could you please confirm how many presets you get in the IAP? In the app it says you get 38, but in the update notes in the AppStore it says you get 50. Thanks

• @sdesign said:
    @jimpavloff could you please confirm how many presets you get in the IAP? In the app it says you get 38, but in the update notes in the AppStore it says you get 50. Thanks

50 presets.

• @jimpavloff said:

@sdesign said:
    @jimpavloff could you please confirm how many presets you get in the IAP? In the app it says you get 38, but in the update notes in the AppStore it says you get 50. Thanks

50 presets.

Thanks

• @rs2000 said:

@jaijai said:

I believe this has already been asked before, but If you're really looking for a Windows groovebox-type program, there's "Groove Machine" from Image Line for example:
    https://www.image-line.com/plugins/Synths/Groove+Machine/
    It's only a 32bit VST and does not seem to be under active development anymore.

Thanks, I tried the groove machine once. It was not as hands on as groove rider. Well a man can dream.

• So... re-sampling!.... found the Render Pattern Audio utility. Trying out some 'sp404 like' resampling with effects and layering loops. Its neat you can render and paste to a part pad. GR-16 with the output into AUM + Maxima for some lofi goodness.

• @jimpavloff Hey Jim, do you think it's possible to add some option for bigger pads on the iPhone? Maybe a Pad Page like I did with Samplist.

I'm curious Do you use the same Storyboard for iPhone or it's different? Some knob pages would be a blessing for the iPhone :)

I find myself using it on my phone more than on my iPad :)

• @wim said:

@RajahP said:

Thing of beauty ...

nice Tip, but is mute recording on the way?