Skip to content

Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

Comments

• @sdesign said:

@wim said:

@sdesign said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    IAA problems again, not seeing Grooverider in Cubasis, or in BM3. Yes I know there are other ways to get it in via AUM but that adds to CPU useage and just more steps. I’m seeing it in Auria Pro. Tried Modstep, however Modstep at present crashes on launch!

Anyone else having IAA visibility of grooverider problems?

I guess this is still a bug, I can’t see it in Cubasis either

No problem here. In Cubasis you need to add an audio track, then under routing, select IAA to see it. If it’s not showing in BM3, maybe rebuilding the database will help.

Hmm, I’ve been trying to add it to a midi track!

Common mistake. Cubasis and Auria Pro are confusing that way.

• edited October 2018

@jimpavloff said:

@Billewis said:

@jimpavloff said:

@kobamoto said:

@jimpavloff said:

@kobamoto said:

@LucidMusicInc said:
    >

Only in xequence smh

You realise it’s a looped pattern?

I'm asking if GR16 going to get mute recording in an update, or it's not on the roadmap?

No any plans for mutes currently. Upd: in Song mode you'll be able to store different mutes in each song pattern.

thank you but how will this work, will the same mutes that are stored in song mode be stored in pattern mode?

In pattern mode, you have only one set of mutes per pattern. In Song mode, you'll have your own set of mutes for each time the pattern appears in a song.

While you're on the subject of 'enhancements' Jim, perhaps you could modify the Pattern Selector so that a Long Press on a pattern name would allow for drag and drop rearrangement of their order? Then we could easily take pattern 14 (for example) and drag it up to the number 10 slot or down to number 49. It would make set list creation for live performance a breeze B)

Unfortunately, there is no easy way to do it. Even in the Song mode, I will include "Move Up" and "Move Down" buttons to do pattern order change. Implementation of dragging the patterns takes much more time, than I can currently afford.

Groove Rider is becoming the stealth bomber of IOS beat making apps, it’s a Groove Bomber!

• Agree 1000%
    Samu You’re a genius!
    Love your ideas!

This thread also almost 100k views!!!!
    Who will be the lucky 100k viewer???

@Samu said:
    @jimpavloff Regarding the upcoming song-mode...

Korg Electribe Wave supports 'transpose' for the whole pattern(for all melodic parts) in song-mode.
    GR-16 could improve on that concept by allowing per part transpose in addition to the per part mute.

This would increase the re-usability of patterns where just a few parts need transpose (for example bass part) without having to create new patterns.

This option could potentially create a super flexible song-mode where each of the sources for the 16 parts could be freely picked from any of the existing patterns. (Ie. part 1 uses part x from pattern y transposed by z, part 2 uses part x from yet another pattern etc.). The master effects could be taken from the pattern used on song part 1 or separate master-effect setting for the whole song.

This is just me 'brain storming' loud to check if it makes sense...
    (The core idea is from old-school trackers where a 'pattern' was just one voice and the song mode collected the needed patterns for playback and played them back with various playback options such as transpose).

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Agree 1000%
    Samu You’re a genius!
    Love your ideas!

This thread also almost 100k views!!!!
    Who will be the lucky 100k viewer???

@Samu said:
    @jimpavloff Regarding the upcoming song-mode...

Korg Electribe Wave supports 'transpose' for the whole pattern(for all melodic parts) in song-mode.
    GR-16 could improve on that concept by allowing per part transpose in addition to the per part mute.

This would increase the re-usability of patterns where just a few parts need transpose (for example bass part) without having to create new patterns.

This option could potentially create a super flexible song-mode where each of the sources for the 16 parts could be freely picked from any of the existing patterns. (Ie. part 1 uses part x from pattern y transposed by z, part 2 uses part x from yet another pattern etc.). The master effects could be taken from the pattern used on song part 1 or separate master-effect setting for the whole song.

This is just me 'brain storming' loud to check if it makes sense...
    (The core idea is from old-school trackers where a 'pattern' was just one voice and the song mode collected the needed patterns for playback and played them back with various playback options such as transpose).

Then again, it’s just ‘midi files’ to be transposed (within GR-16) for melodic ‘parts’, hopefully not just the Key of the part but the Scale also (KEW seems to only transpose the Key)...I am looking at MidiSequencer’s soon to be released Midi Recorder to accomplish this and as a vast repository for midi files to send into GR-16.. Maybe MIDI import may be a great feature for GR..

• Jim is it possible to make it an user option that the parameter locking behaves like the elektron method where only the steps containing the p.locks are affected?

• edited October 2018

@kobamoto said:
    Jim is it possible to make it an user option that the parameter locking behaves like the elektron method where only the steps containing the p.locks are affected?

To which value should the parameters return when automated by "parameter locks"?
    The previous one?
    I could imagine a third option in Part > Automation > {Smooth/Stepped/Locked}

• yep, the previous one, if we could just get that control all feature as well it would be a nice way to call it a day

• Anyone using Groove Rider with Launchpad Pro? I’m not a key player so I’m trying to find the best controller

• You can use a LaunchPad but it's really designed as a hardware device for Ableton. I use a Beatstep which more or less mimics the GrooveRider layout in a tactile device.

However, in the current incarnation of GR-16's MIDI implementation the pads (any pad / controller that sends a MIDI Note number) will not work as you might expect... meaning they don't Trigger, Mute, Slice or Jump. When sending MIDI Notes (which is the typical assignment of a pad) they act as though you have GR-16 in Keys mode, merely playing the sound assigned to the corresponding GR-16 pad no matter what the Pad Mode of GR-16 is.

• @Billewis said:
    You can use a LaunchPad but it's really designed as a hardware device for Ableton. I use a Beatstep which more or less mimics the GrooveRider layout in a tactile device.

However, in the current incarnation of GR-16's MIDI implementation the pads (any pad / controller that sends a MIDI Note number) will not work as you might expect... meaning they don't Trigger, Mute, Slice or Jump. When sending MIDI Notes (which is the typical assignment of a pad) they act as though you have GR-16 in Keys mode, merely playing the sound assigned to the corresponding GR-16 pad no matter what the Pad Mode of GR-16 is.

I see, with beatstep pro I don’t have that much access to melodic notes , ( 16 pads vs 64 launchpad pro ) . I like the note mode on the launch pro and the fact I can use it for drums too... I don’t need rotary encoders cause I have a faderfox pc4 for that. Thanks!

• @Sergiu said:

@Billewis said:
    You can use a LaunchPad but it's really designed as a hardware device for Ableton. I use a Beatstep which more or less mimics the GrooveRider layout in a tactile device.

I see, with beatstep pro I don’t have that much access to melodic notes , ( 16 pads vs 64 launchpad pro ) . I like the note mode on the launch pro and the fact I can use it for drums too... I don’t need rotary encoders cause I have a faderfox pc4 for that. Thanks!

The Launchpad pro is the best controller for someone not used to keys and who uses ios and other daws. It's standalone scale modes are fantastic. You do NOT need ableton for the pro. I own an ableton push but I've still keeps the Launchpad pro purely for iOS and to send midi directly to hardware synths.

• @Billewis said:

Wait, so that means you cant really use the beatstep for drums with gr16, in other words one pad won't play kick, another snare, etc,but instead would play different pitches of kick? I haven't had a chance to hook up my beatstep to it yet since I got the app the other day. That would be disappointing.

• @mrufino1 said:

@Billewis said:

Wait, so that means you cant really use the beatstep for drums with gr16, in other words one pad won't play kick, another snare, etc,but instead would play different pitches of kick? I haven't had a chance to hook up my beatstep to it yet since I got the app the other day. That would be disappointing.

If you assign each pad in your BeatStep to its own MIDI channel then yes, each pad will PLAY (and only Play as I said above) the sound associated with that MIDI channel, with whatever MIDI Note number (pitch) you’ve also assigned on the BeatStep. This is because in GR-16 each Pad / Part is hardwired to a unique MIDI channel:

Pad 1 = MIDI Channel 1
    Pad 2 = MIDI Channel 2
    Etc

Honestly, aside from being a better way to input velocity I find using an external controller (and I have all kinds) to be of questionable value. It’s just so much more immediate and gratifying to tweak on my iPad screen. If you internalize the program in the same way a guitarist learns their instrument you can quickly move about with sometimes stunning results.

If there were a piano key layout as an option in Keys mode so I could “see” the pitch I might not use a controller at all - I’m almost there already 😏

• @Billewis

I concur.

Another option is NanokeyStudio because it combines pads, keys, a kaos pad, and knobs. It includes scales and arpeggios and those can teach you some scales, there’s an easy mode and a guide mode.

The Nanokeys knobs could be mapped to GRs CC knobs. If you set it up using the kontrol editor for scenes you can turn 8 knobs into as many as 64 different knobs over separate midi channels.

• Did a ‘Render Chain Stems’ at 99 bpm and had to readjust my bpm settings to 98.970 to get the stems to line up with the grid perfectly (in both BM3 and FL studio).. there is definitely a 30ms drift on Export..
    It may run into complications trying to sync other instruments to the project.. would hate if this happen in the upcoming Song Mode..

• @RajahP said:
    Did a ‘Render Chain Stems’ at 99 bpm and had to readjust my bpm settings to 98.970 to get the stems to line up with the grid perfectly (in both BM3 and FL studio).. there is definitely a 30ms drift on Export..
    It may run into complications trying to sync other instruments to the project.. would hate if this happen in the upcoming Song Mode..

I'm aware about this issue. I already fixed it for the next update. At current time, you can try to render stems with 48000 Hz audio sample rate set in GR settings, sometimes it helps.

• Is there a setting to match up p-lock workflow with elektron boxes?
    Currently if I have eg Cutoff at value 40 for the part and I want to p-lock value 80 for eg step 3, I'll have to lock step 2 and 4 to 40 so they (and rest of the steps) won't be effected.
    Is there a way the turn off 'monitoring' when locking parameters?

• @recccp said:
    Is there a setting to match up p-lock workflow with elektron boxes?
    Currently if I have eg Cutoff at value 40 for the part and I want to p-lock value 80 for eg step 3, I'll have to lock step 2 and 4 to 40 so they (and rest of the steps) won't be effected.

P-locks elektron mode is not supported. You can edit/record automation only.

• @jimpavloff said:

@recccp said:
    Is there a setting to match up p-lock workflow with elektron boxes?

P-locks elektron mode is not supported. You can edit/record automation only.

Thanks for clarification. Still the best groovebox around!

• @jimpavloff said:

@RajahP said:
    Did a ‘Render Chain Stems’ at 99 bpm and had to readjust my bpm settings to 98.970 to get the stems to line up with the grid perfectly (in both BM3 and FL studio).. there is definitely a 30ms drift on Export..

I'm aware about this issue. I already fixed it for the next update. At current time, you can try to render stems with 48000 Hz audio sample rate set in GR settings, sometimes it helps.

Thanks...

• Wow! 100k views! Great app @jimpavloff and great support! Thanks!

• Anyone been chopping breaks with GrooveRider? Its a bit fiddly at first but TONS of fun!

• @slowmotionblues said:
    Anyone been chopping breaks with GrooveRider? Its a bit fiddly at first but TONS of fun!

All the time!
    A large waveform view (covering the knobs but leaving the pads for playing) would be nice but it does work!

• @Billewis said:

"Like" is subjective. Having said that, I have a "Bank In Progress" I'm happy to share, but this forum doesn't let me attach the file... I get a "file format is not allowed" error. Perhaps someone reading this knows how to overcome this error?

Try ZIPping the file before uploading.

Apparently zip files work :) Here's a bank of works-in-progress, some created from scratch, some using preset sounds, some recreations of my favorite factory patterns from an Electribe 2.

Perhaps there will be something you 'like' here...

Just want to say, your bank really opened up this app for me..

Thanks for posting..

Did a re-do of a pattern (set)... ‘Remember’..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jc0pvw25drsss17/Remember 1 mod.pattern.gr16?dl=0

• @rs2000 said:

@slowmotionblues said:
    Anyone been chopping breaks with GrooveRider? Its a bit fiddly at first but TONS of fun!

All the time!
    A large waveform view (covering the knobs but leaving the pads for playing) would be nice but it does work!

You can hold & drag UP or DOWN to zoom that wave form.
    I chop stuff all the time :)

• @alecsbuga said:

@rs2000 said:

@slowmotionblues said:

All the time!

You can hold & drag UP or DOWN to zoom that wave form.
    I chop stuff all the time :)

Me too, at max zoom. What I meant to suggest went a bit furter - a full screen view to set slices by tapping and moving. Well, I like to use available screen space, like in a piano roll, but hey, we can't have everything :blush:

• Can somebody please help me out how to reverse a single slice? Is it only possible on separate track?

• @recccp said:
    Can somebody please help me out how to reverse a single slice? Is it only possible on separate track?

That's a valid request. Reverse cannot be automated and slice end cannot be set before slice start, as far as I know. Maybe someone else has a genius idea.

• @rs2000 said:

@recccp said:
    Can somebody please help me out how to reverse a single slice? Is it only possible on separate track?

That's a valid request. Reverse cannot be automated and slice end cannot be set before slice start, as far as I know. Maybe someone else has a genius idea

MFX automation using looper

• @recccp said:

You can do it only when part is recorded. Reverse any note in a part in the notes editor (edit Stroke value for the note).