Skip to content

Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

Comments

• @rs2000 said:

@AnalogCortex said:

@rs2000 said:

@AnalogCortex said:
    I just purchased GR-16 on my iPhone, and instead of two rows of 8 pads I have a single row of 16 keys. Can’t seem to figure out how to switch to pads, which is whaf I see in every demo/tutorial.

These are pads too, only organized in one row of 16 pads instead of 2x8 pads.
    Gr-16 does not have a keyboard in the classic sense.

Thanks for the reply. So, is that just how the iPhone version is? Not a huge deal, though it does make following along with tutorials using the two-row format (which is all of them as far as I can tell) slightly trickier.

Exactly. Just let your mind do the pad re-mapping automatically ;)

@LucidMusicInc said:
    Just read the damn manual :D

And the GR-16 manual is an exceptionally good one.
    Many apps don't come with a manual at all!

I intend to read the manual, already saved it to my reading list!

• @AnalogCortex said:

@rs2000 said:

@AnalogCortex said:

@rs2000 said:

@AnalogCortex said:
    I just purchased GR-16 on my iPhone, and instead of two rows of 8 pads I have a single row of 16 keys. Can’t seem to figure out how to switch to pads, which is whaf I see in every demo/tutorial.

Thanks for the reply. So, is that just how the iPhone version is? Not a huge deal, though it does make following along with tutorials using the two-row format (which is all of them as far as I can tell) slightly trickier.

@LucidMusicInc said:

Think of the iPhone version as the Volca version of Gr16. Absolutely a better experience on an iPad but they both sound the same. Welcome to the team! And don’t hesitate to ask questions ;)

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@AnalogCortex said:

@rs2000 said:

@AnalogCortex said:

@rs2000 said:

@AnalogCortex said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

Think of the iPhone version as the Volca version of Gr16. Absolutely a better experience on an iPad but they both sound the same. Welcome to the team! And don’t hesitate to ask questions ;)

Thank you. I’m still browsing the manual, but also can’t wait to just play around with the fantastic sounds. Can you quickly explain how I can use GR-16 to simply play sounds and not patterns? For example, I’ve already got a beat track in GarageBand. I want to lay down an additional track using the “strings” sound found in A88: Transparency 1 via IAU. When I hit record in the GarageBand pane of GR-16 I get a 4 beat count and then the Transparency 1 pattern starts playing. I don’t want that. I wat to use the pads like a keyboard to play the “strings” part(sound) along with my existing beat in GarageBand.

• @AnalogCortex said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@AnalogCortex said:

@rs2000 said:

@AnalogCortex said:

@rs2000 said:

@AnalogCortex said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

Thank you. I’m still browsing the manual, but also can’t wait to just play around with the fantastic sounds. Can you quickly explain how I can use GR-16 to simply play sounds and not patterns? For example, I’ve already got a beat track in GarageBand. I want to lay down an additional track using the “strings” sound found in A88: Transparency 1 via IAU. When I hit record in the GarageBand pane of GR-16 I get a 4 beat count and then the Transparency 1 pattern starts playing. I don’t want that. I wat to use the pads like a keyboard to play the “strings” part(sound) along with my existing beat in GarageBand.

Look in the pattern or utility menu. You need to clear the pattern. There’s away to clear the notes without initialising the parts but I don’t kno the exact menu option. Go into the menu and get acquainted with each of the functions. You may want to turn midi sync off as well, but I’d advise leaving it on. Alternatively start a new pattern and choose some presets. But you’ll still need to clear the default kick pattern.

• edited November 2018

@LucidMusicInc said:

@AnalogCortex said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@AnalogCortex said:

@rs2000 said:

@AnalogCortex said:

@rs2000 said:

@AnalogCortex said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

Here's a dead-simple intro:
    Tap [TRIGGER] to select one of the 16 tracks, each has its own sound engine
    Tap [WAVE] to select an oscillator waveform. On the bottom of the left column there's "Instrum" for natural instruments and "User" for your own imported samples.
    Tap [KEYS] to play the instrument, and use the [-] OCT [+] buttons to change the keyboard octave. You can also play the instrument with an ext. keyboard or from Garageband sending at the correct MIDI channel.
    Please disable receiving MIDI clock when you intend to sequence the Gr-16 instruments from Garageband because listening to MIDI clock also means listening to the STATUS messages STOP, START and CONTINUE.

• Midi controller question.

I got myself an apc40 and was wondering if there was a way to map the buttons on the apc to the buttons on grooverider? I figured if they did and lit up it would be a similar experience to a certain sampler.

• edited November 2018

For the life of me.. I’m trying to figure out how this ‘roll’ was done on ‘Bank A: A01 Fashion 2’ Pattern’s SNARE Part (in the Demo Bank). There are no conditional triggers happening, nothing special in the SEQ or IFX.. But the roll just happens .. I know I am missing something but cannot figure it out.. Help..... please.. o:)

Edit.. It builds up in the 4th Bar of the pattern..

Thanks..

• @RajahP said:
    For the life of me.. I’m trying to figure out how this ‘roll’ was done on ‘Bank A: A01 Fashion 2’ Pattern’s SNARE Part (in the Demo Bank). There are no conditional triggers happening, nothing special in the SEQ or IFX.. But the roll just happens .. I know I am missing something but cannot figure it out.. Help..... please.. o:)

Thanks..

It's just the Stroke parameter of the snare notes :D

• @jimpavloff said:

@RajahP said:

Thanks..

It's just the Stroke parameter of the snare notes :D

Ok.. Should have known.. Well used.. Thanks..

• I'm late to the party with GR-16, mostly because I didn't think I needed another groovebox app (still true). I bought the app on sale for $10 as support to one of the best iOS developers in hopes that he will continue his winning ways.

But now I've started messing with the app and wow, this is a real feat. How Jim gets all of this functionality into one screen is simply amazing. And yes, it helps create a fluid workflow--and sounds great--so now I'm putting it into active duty in my toolbox. Bravo to Jim for winning another reluctant convert.

There is one feature that would send this app into the stratosphere for me. I'm not sure if it's been requested before in the hundreds of pages in the thread, so I'll ask @jimpavloff directly: any chance we could load multiple samples onto a pad and cycle through them randomly or round robin style?

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    I'm late to the party with GR-16, mostly because I didn't think I needed another groovebox app (still true). I bought the app on sale for $10 as support to one of the best iOS developers in hopes that he will continue his winning ways.

But now I've started messing with the app and wow, this is a real feat. How Jim gets all of this functionality into one screen is simply amazing. And yes, it helps create a fluid workflow--and sounds great--so now I'm putting it into active duty in my toolbox. Bravo to Jim for winning another reluctant convert.

There is one feature that would send this app into the stratosphere for me. I'm not sure if it's been requested before in the hundreds of pages in the thread, so I'll ask @jimpavloff directly: any chance we could load multiple samples onto a pad and cycle through them randomly or round robin style?

Well, you can't directly, but there's some workaround. You can make and load one long sample containing several small samples one after another in it, then set "Osc Controls: Sample" for this part to make Osc knob work as a sample position, and then assign a Modulator "OSC <- S&H BPM". So every time you hit a key you will get random sample start position within this long sample.

• @jimpavloff said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    I'm late to the party with GR-16, mostly because I didn't think I needed another groovebox app (still true). I bought the app on sale for $10 as support to one of the best iOS developers in hopes that he will continue his winning ways.

Well, you can't directly, but there's some workaround. You can make and load one long sample containing several small samples one after another in it, then set "Osc Controls: Sample" for this part to make Osc knob work as a sample position, and then assign a Modulator "OSC <- S&H BPM". So every time you hit a key you will get random sample start position within this long sample.

Ah, that'll work nicely for random short samples. But for round robin and longer ambient samples (longer than 16 seconds once they are laid end to end), doesn't do the trick. No big deal. I've got other tools that do the job but if you could consider multiple samples per pad for some future version I'd be obliged. Thx

• edited November 2018

Wouldn't slicing a sample with multiple hits be the better option?

@lukesleepwalker
    If the samples are this long, it's maybe a better idea to just put these into different patterns.

• @rs2000 said:

@lukesleepwalker
    If the samples are this long, it's maybe a better idea to just put these into different patterns.

Yeah, round robin using slices would be cool, but it isn't currently there. I'll put it on my list for the future, can be very useful feature and not hard to implement.

• In fact I don't worry doing the 'round robin' with slices manually because this way I can have more control about the variation (e.g. snare drum or percussive hits)

• @rs2000 said:

@lukesleepwalker

I have a bunch of one hit samples. Can I put them into one long file? Of course! But that's more work so I probably won't if I have a tool that allows me to work with the single files. It's all good--different tools for different jobs.

• @rs2000 said:
    In fact I don't worry doing the 'round robin' with slices manually because this way I can have more control about the variation (e.g. snare drum or percussive hits)

Yeah 'round robin' is more like a live performance feature only.

• @jimpavloff Hi, is it possible to export multiple patterns into 1 ableton live set within the settings menu? Can’t seem to find it or maybe it’s just not there, if so is that the plan for future update maybe ?
    Thanks really enjoying the app anyway

• @jimpavloff said:

@rs2000 said:
    In fact I don't worry doing the 'round robin' with slices manually because this way I can have more control about the variation (e.g. snare drum or percussive hits)

Yeah 'round robin' is more like a live performance feature only.

Yep, that's how I roll.

• First of all. thanks Jim for the wonderful work you've done so far. I found my personal favourite combo regarding midi controllers for the Gr-16. Launchpad Pro for writing melodic notes and Faderfox Pc4 for tweaking knobs.

I was not able to connect and use both of them at the same time. I have to choose Midi In ,rather the LPP or the PC4 but not both. What is Midi IN Mode doing? Poly vs. Omni. How can I use both controllers at the same time?

On Mixer page , is it possible to assign Midi Learn on Master Send Fx? I tried by triple tapping the knob, but i don't think its working yet...

Thanks again

• edited November 2018

@Sergiu said:
    First of all. thanks Jim for the wonderful work you've done so far. I found my personal favourite combo regarding midi controllers for the Gr-16. Launchpad Pro for writing melodic notes and Faderfox Pc4 for tweaking knobs.

I was not able to connect and use both of them at the same time. I have to choose Midi In ,rather the LPP or the PC4 but not both. What is Midi IN Mode doing? Poly vs. Omni. How can I use both controllers at the same time?

On Mixer page , is it possible to assign Midi Learn on Master Send Fx? I tried by triple tapping the knob, but i don't think its working yet...

Thanks again

Thanks for your message. Currently you can use only one Midi Device attached to GR-16 for midi control. Midi Mode describes the way you use midi channels inside one established midi connection, it is not referred to multiple midi inputs. Master Send Fx parameter, as well as other master parameters, is not assignable/controllable by midi learn. You can adjust it only manually from within the app and save it inside each pattern.

• @Sergiu said:
    First of all. thanks Jim for the wonderful work you've done so far. I found my personal favourite combo regarding midi controllers for the Gr-16. Launchpad Pro for writing melodic notes and Faderfox Pc4 for tweaking knobs.

Thanks again

I would think you could use a MIDI merger. Either software (like MIDIFlow or MIDIFire) or hardware: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MIDImerge2--midi-solutions-merger?mrkgcl=28&amp;mrkgadid=3248788544&amp;rkg_id=0&amp;product_id=MIDImerge2&amp;campaigntype=shopping&amp;campaign=aaShopping - Core - Studio &amp; Recording&amp;adgroup=Studio &amp; Recording - Audio Interfaces&amp;placement=google&amp;adpos=1o1&amp;creative=213185928233&amp;device=t&amp;matchtype=&amp;network=g&amp;gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2Nvrpq7I3gIVR4GzCh2VBQG4EAQYASABEgIkjPD_BwE

• Thanks everyone

• Please make the pads midi mappable. This would also make them context sensitive.

• wimwim
    edited November 2018

@anickt said:

@Sergiu said:

Thanks again

I would think you could use a MIDI merger. Either software (like MIDIFlow or MIDIFire) or hardware: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MIDImerge2--midi-solutions-merger?mrkgcl=28&amp;mrkgadid=3248788544&amp;rkg_id=0&amp;product_id=MIDImerge2&amp;campaigntype=shopping&amp;campaign=aaShopping - Core - Studio &amp; Recording&amp;adgroup=Studio &amp; Recording - Audio Interfaces&amp;placement=google&amp;adpos=1o1&amp;creative=213185928233&amp;device=t&amp;matchtype=&amp;network=g&amp;gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2Nvrpq7I3gIVR4GzCh2VBQG4EAQYASABEgIkjPD_BwE

Wouldn’t just loading GR-16 into a host that can route more than one midi source to an app, such as AUM, be simpler?

• @wim said:

@anickt said:

@Sergiu said:

Thanks again

Wouldn’t just loading GR-16 into a host that can route more than one midi source to an app, such as AUM, be simpler?

Maybe. But iOS MIDI never seems to work the way I would expect based on my experience with MIDI hardware so I guess some experimentation is in order. Mine was a “top of my head” suggestion.

• @jimpavloff could we please get multiple midi inputs ? Would very much like to connect my launchpad pro and my launch control at the same time as well.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    @jimpavloff could we please get multiple midi inputs ? Would very much like to connect my launchpad pro and my launch control at the same time as well.

Not to undermine your feature request or anything (because it would be nice to have), but can’t you just do this by loading GR-16 into AUM?

Or AudioBus?

• @wim said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:
    @jimpavloff could we please get multiple midi inputs ? Would very much like to connect my launchpad pro and my launch control at the same time as well.

Not to undermine your feature request or anything (because it would be nice to have), but can’t you just do this by loading GR-16 into AUM?

Or AudioBus?

True that. But it's an extra app required when some people don't own AUM. I guess this workaround is good enough for me. Thanks for reminding me :)

• @reasOne said:
    How's gr 16 for pads and ambient down tempo stuff ??
    Everything on YouTube is to dancey for me

Consider that GR is related to the Electribe...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdRy2xLUumI

This video (and the first comment regarding the workflow) will help (I guess/hope :lol:)