Skip to content

Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

Comments

• @WTK said:

@ehehehe said:

@robosardine said:

@iansainsbury said:

@gusgranite said:

@johnfromberkeley said:
    I’ve been working in GR-16, and I’m just amazed at how perfect it is for a 1-developer app. Sometimes, that’s the secret, I guess.

It really is. On paper, with its feature set, I should be all over it. And I keep coming back to it. But I struggle with the dev's choice to confine it to behave like hardware. If I want to make timeline adjustments, I have to do it on a tiny screen using virtual knobs. It’s on an iPad! Why not allow the editing screen to be full size and use the power of the touchscreen?
    I feel bad for griping, as if this was a piece of hardware, I would buy it. But it’s not, and the UI stops me using it much.
    It sounds incredible, though, and I want to love it. It’s not you, it’s me etc...

I’m in the same boat. I just can’t get a flow going with GR-16 despite very many attempts. Even if the sequencer was to move on a step after you enter a note that would help. I never touch it at all now. I love Pure Acid though (one of Jim’s other apps) - it’s on the other side of the spectrum - one of my go to apps.

Lovely sounds, but I agree with those saying that emulating hardware leads to suboptimal workflow choices. Refunded this and got Poision-202, which looks, works and sounds great! How would you compare Pure Acid with that and GR-16?

Pure Acid: 303 emulation with a nice bassline sequencer, drum machine with TR drum sounds plus step sequencer, limited fx possibilities "per voice", 2 channel mixer

GR16: 16 slots for either samples or inbuilt wavetable synth, 1 fx per slot/voice plus master fx, 16 channel mixer, can load 3rd party samples and wavetables, great presets

Poison-202: synthesizer only, arp, no wavetable, great presets

Though I like Pure Acid, GR16 is way more flexible for me and I use it as my goto drum machine. Poison is a great synth, but I don't use it that often in my projects.

Thanks!

• WTKWTK
    edited September 2021

@ehehehe said:

@WTK said:

@ehehehe said:

@robosardine said:

@iansainsbury said:

@gusgranite said:

@johnfromberkeley said:
    I’ve been working in GR-16, and I’m just amazed at how perfect it is for a 1-developer app. Sometimes, that’s the secret, I guess.

It really is. On paper, with its feature set, I should be all over it. And I keep coming back to it. But I struggle with the dev's choice to confine it to behave like hardware. If I want to make timeline adjustments, I have to do it on a tiny screen using virtual knobs. It’s on an iPad! Why not allow the editing screen to be full size and use the power of the touchscreen?
    I feel bad for griping, as if this was a piece of hardware, I would buy it. But it’s not, and the UI stops me using it much.
    It sounds incredible, though, and I want to love it. It’s not you, it’s me etc...

I’m in the same boat. I just can’t get a flow going with GR-16 despite very many attempts. Even if the sequencer was to move on a step after you enter a note that would help. I never touch it at all now. I love Pure Acid though (one of Jim’s other apps) - it’s on the other side of the spectrum - one of my go to apps.

Lovely sounds, but I agree with those saying that emulating hardware leads to suboptimal workflow choices. Refunded this and got Poision-202, which looks, works and sounds great! How would you compare Pure Acid with that and GR-16?

Pure Acid: 303 emulation with a nice bassline sequencer, drum machine with TR drum sounds plus step sequencer, limited fx possibilities "per voice", 2 channel mixer

GR16: 16 slots for either samples or inbuilt wavetable synth, 1 fx per slot/voice plus master fx, 16 channel mixer, can load 3rd party samples and wavetables, great presets

Poison-202: synthesizer only, arp, no wavetable, great presets

Though I like Pure Acid, GR16 is way more flexible for me and I use it as my goto drum machine. Poison is a great synth, but I don't use it that often in my projects.

Thanks!

You're welcome.

And I totally forgot that GR16 can slice samples as well and distribute them automatically over the pads. Plus chords, different grooves (like MPC), filter per sample/voice and some very clever mechanics regarding step sequencing. Eg you can program a 16 step loop (4bars iirc) and tell the crash cymbal on step 16 only to play every 16th bar or on the 4th, 8th and 12th bar but not on the 16th. You have also different ratchet options like 2x - 4x. And ratchets that go gradually up eg for drum rolls.

And it has audio multi out. And one of the best sample imports in whole iOS land. And you can swap samples on the fly.

Once you get the whole concept you can produce very complex stuff with only 16 steps while GR16 is running. And because it is more or less one window without tabs it's lightning fast.

• Are there people who use Gr-16 although they have Drambo or use them in conjunction?
    Is it maybe because it’s emulates Hardware Grooveboxes(which I never owned) or the dedicated Ui? Never bought it because it feels like having maybe the same features only on a different Ui.
    Pure Acid on the other hand is for me pure fun even then used on an iPhone.

• @Nathi94 said:
    Are there people who use Gr-16 although they have Drambo or use them in conjunction?
    Is it maybe because it’s emulates Hardware Grooveboxes(which I never owned) or the dedicated Ui? Never bought it because it feels like having maybe the same features only on a different Ui.

I'm using them separately. They have very different workflows, and although I'm using Drambo more often, the groovebox style UI of GR-16 is quite fun to use at times. Both apps need some time to get used to!

• @rs2000 said:

@Nathi94 said:
    Are there people who use Gr-16 although they have Drambo or use them in conjunction?

I'm using them separately. They have very different workflows, and although I'm using Drambo more often, the groovebox style UI of GR-16 is quite fun to use at times. Both apps need some time to get used to!

I bought it yesterday :smile:
    Indeed different workflows. I really like the design of it and the layout for me is really refreshing. While it definitely will not replace Drambo for me it’s definitely an awesome Groovebox to have fun with.

• @Nathi94 said:

@rs2000 said:

@Nathi94 said:

Indeed different workflows. I really like the design of it and the layout for me is really refreshing. While it definitely will not replace Drambo for me it’s definitely an awesome Groovebox to have fun with.

Oh, and here's one of my older GR-16 "just for the fun of it" projects:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/35583/can-you-guess-this-song

• @rs2000 said:

@Nathi94 said:

@rs2000 said:

@Nathi94 said:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/35583/can-you-guess-this-so

That sounds great!

• @rs2000 said:

@Nathi94 said:

@rs2000 said:

@Nathi94 said:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/35583/can-you-guess-this-song

Sounds great! And pretty close to the original👌🏻

• @rs2000 said:

@Nathi94 said:

@rs2000 said:

@Nathi94 said:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/35583/can-you-guess-this-son

Are you by any chance willing to share that pattern?

• Thanks @janpieter & @Nathi94!

@janpieter said:

@rs2000 said:

@Nathi94 said:

@rs2000 said:

@Nathi94 said:

Sure!

• @rs2000 said:
    Thanks @janpieter & @Nathi94!

@janpieter said:

@rs2000 said:

@Nathi94 said:

@rs2000 said:

@Nathi94 said:

Sure!

Thanks!! Curious how you did your magic. :)

• Here I used two pads as midi controllers for FX that affect the output of GR-16 on AUM:

https://youtu.be/zwAk0lSv0OU

• I did put some serum wavetables in the wave folder and i can load them standalone but they don‘t show up in the AU.Any ideas?Could it be a bug? ipadOS 15.0

Such a great app but THE one thing that would kill it for me (after AU of course…) : stereo samples!!

I need to use beathawk for this purpose but i would prefer to stay in GR only for this type of app

• @Crabman said:
    I did put some serum wavetables in the wave folder and i can load them standalone but they don‘t show up in the AU.Any ideas?Could it be a bug? ipadOS 15.0

I think you have to import them separately in the AUv3.

• edited October 2021

@wim said:

@Crabman said:
    I did put some serum wavetables in the wave folder and i can load them standalone but they don‘t show up in the AU.Any ideas?Could it be a bug? ipadOS 15.0

I think you have to import them separately in the AUv3.

Yes. Import your folders one time in an AU version and you’re good to go (the also will load the next time you start a new instance).

• worked,thanks!

• Since this afternoon GR-16 crashes on me in IAAP/standalone mode when I try to access the patterns menu.
    Restarting th iPad (air 2020) and upgrading to iOS 15 (from 14.7) don’t solve the issue.
    Anyone else experience it?
    @jimpavloff

• @janpieter said:
    Since this afternoon GR-16 crashes on me in IAAP/standalone mode when I try to access the patterns menu.
    Restarting th iPad (air 2020) and upgrading to iOS 15 (from 14.7) don’t solve the issue.
    @jimpavloff

It's fine here on Air2 iOS 14.7.

The app hasn't been updated recently, so that can't be the problem. And you've eliminated iOS version as a cause. That leaves me guessing that maybe a corrupted pattern, or maybe a pattern name, is causing it to crash. What to do about that I can't say since patterns aren't saved anywhere in the file system where they're accessible.

You might try "offloading" the app (let me know if you don't know what that means) then opening it again, which will effectively reinstall without losing your data. You might want to export all patterns and songs first as a backup.

If that doesn't work and you don't hear from @jimpavloff, you might want to export all patterns and songs, clear all patterns, then import... I dunno.

If you have another device, then exporting all patterns and songs, then importing them on the other device would tell you whether it's a device specific problem or something wrong with a pattern.

• edited October 2021

@wim said:

@janpieter said:
    Since this afternoon GR-16 crashes on me in IAAP/standalone mode when I try to access the patterns menu.
    @jimpavloff

It's fine here on Air2 iOS 14.7.

The app hasn't been updated recently, so that can't be the problem. And you've eliminated iOS version as a cause. That leaves me guessing that maybe a corrupted pattern, or maybe a pattern name, is causing it to crash. What to do about that I can't say since patterns aren't saved anywhere in the file system where they're accessible.

You might try "offloading" the app (let me know if you don't know what that means) then opening it again, which will effectively reinstall without losing your data. You might want to export all patterns and songs first as a backup.

If that doesn't work and you don't hear from @jimpavloff, you might want to export all patterns and songs, clear all patterns, then import... I dunno.

If you have another device, then exporting all patterns and songs, then importing them on the other device would tell you whether it's a device specific problem or something wrong with a pattern.

Thank you. Do tell me what offloading means. I already deleted the app and reloaded it from the appstore (didn’t fix the issue). Offloading is more drastic/has an extra step?

edit1
    “That leaves me guessing that maybe a corrupted pattern, or maybe a pattern name, is causing it to crash. What to do about that I can't say since patterns aren't saved anywhere in the file system where they're accessible.”
    I think you are right and that the problem might reside in user bank 1.

edit2
    deleting all user banks solved the issue and importing the mypatterns.bank.gr16 brought the issue back. Your suspected diagnosis was right. Thank you. App works again. I’ve lost some work but hey. I’ll keep the corrupted file in case..

• @janpieter said:
    Thank you. Do tell me what offloading means. I already deleted the app and reloaded it from the appstore (didn’t fix the issue). Offloading is more drastic/has an extra step?

>
    Offloading is less drastic than deleting and reloading. It's in iOS Settings > Storage. Once the list that shows app storage populates, if you select an app, you'll get the option to offload it. This removes the app but not the data associated with it. Then, the next time you want to use the app it re-downloads it. It's meant to be a way of freeing up storage without losing data.

One thing: definitely do not enable the Automatically Offload Apps option. You don't want iOS in charge of deciding which apps to offload.

Lastly, I think you may have to manually re-download sample packs 'n stuff from within the apps that are restored after offloading.

edit2
    deleting all user banks solved the issue and importing the mypatterns.bank.gr16 brought the issue back. Your suspected diagnosis was right. Thank you. App works again. I’ve lost some work but hey. I’ll keep the corrupted file in case..

I wonder if you could recover those patterns. You don't have to switch patterns using the menu. You can switch using the up/down keys, and you can rename a pattern with shift-write. Maybe you can navigate to find the offending pattern, then either rename it, or clear just that pattern or something.

• edited October 2021

@wim said:

@janpieter said:

>
    Offloading is less drastic than deleting and reloading. It's in iOS Settings > Storage. Once the list that shows app storage populates, if you select an app, you'll get the option to offload it. This removes the app but not the data associated with it. Then, the next time you want to use the app it re-downloads it. It's meant to be a way of freeing up storage without losing data.

One thing: definitely do not enable the Automatically Offload Apps option. You don't want iOS in charge of deciding which apps to offload.

Lastly, I think you may have to manually re-download sample packs 'n stuff from within the apps that are restored after offloading.

edit2

I wonder if you could recover those patterns. You don't have to switch patterns using the menu. You can switch using the up/down keys, and you can rename a pattern with shift-write. Maybe you can navigate to find the offending pattern, then either rename it, or clear just that pattern or something.

U006 seems to be the culprit. Navigating there from U005 using the up/down arrows crashes GR-16.

As I have no patterns beyond U006 (and some patterns in the other user banks which are accessible just as the first 5 of bank 1) I might share-export all my individual patterns as GR16 files and then import them back in a fresh/clean version of GR16 (I tested with one and that went fine).

Thank you again for your advice! Happy to have GR working again and a way to salvage my patterns.

• Great! I'm glad you're up and running. I'd be gutted if I could no longer use GR-16 myself.

• @janpieter said:

@wim said:

@janpieter said:

>

edit2

U006 seems to be the culprit. Navigating there from U005 using the up/down arrows crashes GR-16.

As I have no patterns beyond U006 (and some patterns in the other user banks which are accessible just as the first 5 of bank 1) I might share-export all my individual patterns as GR16 files and then import them back in a fresh/clean version of GR16 (I tested with one and that went fine).

Thank you again for your advice! Happy to have GR working again and a way to salvage my patterns.

Do you know what happened? I have a corrupt backup and troubleshoting I saw that it might have been two patterns that I named with an "ñ", but I still can't load the backup so I lost a couple patterns my nephew overwrote.

• @cokomairena said:

@janpieter said:

@wim said:

@janpieter said:

>

edit2

Do you know what happened? I have a corrupt backup and troubleshoting I saw that it might have been two patterns that I named with an "ñ", but I still can't load the backup so I lost a couple patterns my nephew overwrote.

Don't know what caused it...

• wimwim
    edited October 2021

@janpieter said:

@cokomairena said:

@janpieter said:

@wim said:

@janpieter said:

>

edit2

If you remember the name of the pattern, you could start a new empty bank then name one of the patterns the same to see if it causes a crash. If it did it would confirm that something about the name did it. If not then its more likely that the pattern itself had corrupted data.

Sometimes programmers don't take the possibility of multi-language characters into account. That would be surprising in this case, but could be.

• @wim said:

@janpieter said:

@cokomairena said:

@janpieter said:

@wim said:

@janpieter said:

>

edit2

If you remember the name of the pattern, you could start a new empty bank then name one of the patterns the same to see if it causes a crash. If it did it would confirm that something about the name did it. If not then its more likely that the pattern itself had corrupted data.

i didn't name them. they all had the init (*) name

• @janpieter said:
    i didn't name them. they all had the init (*) name

Good to know. Must have been something about the pattern itself.

• @janpieter said:

@wim said:

@janpieter said:

>

edit2

Please send me your patterns bank file (corrupted) for testing.