Skip to content

Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

Comments

• @stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@Mark B said:

@stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff In a near update - can you add an option to slice samples to 4 and 8 slices or an option to slice between 1 to 16 chops.
    The current fixed 16 slice option doesn't leave any pad space to experiment with. 16 option will work better if an added 16 pads in a second bank or resample to pad option is added,

The slices are held within one pad. Record into the pattern with the slices button selected and you still have the other 15 pads free for other sounds.

@Mark B - does this mean the slices become merged into a loop to a pad - bit confused

ok i think i know what u mean - select the slice I want out of the 16 slices with slice button and then trigger with the pad ?if so wont it afffect the next slice if on same pad?

I will experiment - thanks in advance

Sequence slices with Slice button lit.

• @jimpavloff - tempo of beat speeds up when recording via audiobus into Cubasis and Audioshare - it worke ok though routing and recording into AUM MIXER.

• @anickt said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@Mark B said:

@stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff In a near update - can you add an option to slice samples to 4 and 8 slices or an option to slice between 1 to 16 chops.
    The current fixed 16 slice option doesn't leave any pad space to experiment with. 16 option will work better if an added 16 pads in a second bank or resample to pad option is added,

The slices are held within one pad. Record into the pattern with the slices button selected and you still have the other 15 pads free for other sounds.

@Mark B - does this mean the slices become merged into a loop to a pad - bit confused

ok i think i know what u mean - select the slice I want out of the 16 slices with slice button and then trigger with the pad ?if so wont it afffect the next slice if on same pad?

I will experiment - thanks in advance

Sequence slices with Slice button lit.

ok thanks ive not tried the slice thing yet but cant work out how the 16 slices expand to the 16 pads if they are saved to one pad- need a video tutorial @jimpavloff

• @stormbeats said:

ok thanks ive not tried the slice thing yet but cant work out how the 16 slices expand to the 16 pads if they are saved to one pad- need a video tutorial jimpavloff

It's pretty simple really...

In 'slice mode' the sample that is assigned to the pad gets '16 slices' each 'slice' has settings for start, end & pitch.
    So after you light the slice button tap on pad 1, set the start, end & tune. Tap on pad 2 and repeat the process.

• Fingers crossed for many video tutorials coming up on this. Seems to have an incredible amount of depth this box. Maybe I am to stupid for this to read and understand - oh my ;-)

• @Samu said:

@stormbeats said:

ok thanks ive not tried the slice thing yet but cant work out how the 16 slices expand to the 16 pads if they are saved to one pad- need a video tutorial jimpavloff

In 'slice mode' the sample that is assigned to the pad gets '16 slices' each 'slice' has settings for start, end & pitch.
    So after you light the slice button tap on pad 1, set the start, end & tune. Tap on pad 2 and repeat the process.

Slice button will be blinking in this mode.

• @anickt said:

@Samu said:

@stormbeats said:

Slice button will be blinking in this mode.

ok cool thanks- thats proper cool

• Aha! If you play scales on the touchpad while holding down the actual pad in erase mode, you can just continuously overwrite the pattern with whatever you play on the touchpad. @robosardine

• @wim said:

@stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff - or anyone - how do i delete a pattern and the sounds in the pattern at once -
    Grooverider is very addictive - top app

Do you mean delete imported samples that you used in the pattern? If so then I don't think there's any way to do that.

Or just delete everything back to the default state for that pattern? Then hit shift-COPY (CLEAR) and select Init Pattern from the popup. Hit WRITE to finalize.

thanks - that helped a lot.

• @david_2017 said:
    Fingers crossed for many video tutorials coming up on this. Seems to have an incredible amount of depth this box. Maybe I am to stupid for this to read and understand - oh my ;-)

Hmmmmm. Maybe it’s too much stress that I have had over the holidays but I really don’t get this app. Please no offense meant to anyone. I too would like to see some videos or what other people come up with. For me right now it’s like a set of mixed snippets of songs. I have not got much into it.

• edited December 2017

@Chaztrip said:

@david_2017 said:
    Fingers crossed for many video tutorials coming up on this. Seems to have an incredible amount of depth this box. Maybe I am to stupid for this to read and understand - oh my ;-)

Hmmmmm. Maybe it’s too much stress that I have had over the holidays but I really don’t get this app. Please no offense meant to anyone. I too would like to see some videos or what other people come up with. For me right now it’s like a set of mixed snippets of songs. I have not got much into it.

This probably doesn't help but if you ever created music on the old Sound Trackers it is quite similar. Each pattern is up to 64 steps split over 4 bars. Each step you can quickly automate any of the onscreen controls. Faster at entering notes and micro editing of automation than using a typical DAW.
    If you haven't found it yet try out the stroke setting in the step editor. It has different patterns, the speed depends on the note length and it's great for adding repeats and triplets.
    Also the step chance % for easily creating random variations.
    Best way of learning the app imo is reading the manual and then just playing around with it.

• If I can figure out screen recording I’ll try and do a video because this thing is too great

• @db909
    That would be fantastic!
    I’m loving this app.

• Bought this on the back of the hype on this forum. Struggling to see what the fuss is about tbh. Yeah it's fun to sketch ideas out on and fast at what it does, but that's because in many areas its crippled to the point where it feels like a toy.

No piano roll editor. Editing anything polyphonic and/or complex is insanely tedious. Find the notes. Delete the notes. Find the new notes. Ugh... What year is this? What size screen am I looking at!?? Please add an expand piano view option for modern note editing convenience/speed. .

No sampling. On a sample groove box. In ios which as a platform is like pulling teeth in terms of shuffling files around. Ugh...

10 sec sample length limit. In 2017.

Idiot proof fx. I read '32 insert fx' and thought, 'this is going to be fun!'. In reality that should read approx 10 fx. Most of the fx are variations laid out to compensate for the app having almost zero user tweakability in the fx. One knob. So I can't even set a Delay's time/feedback/wet&dry independently. Or automate these independently. I realise the dev wants to keep it simple and reminiscent of hardware, thats admirable, but I don't have ANY hardware that doesn't at least allow 3 x params for tuning for fx (sp404..... Probably the most basic in terms of dialling in fx). There needs to be options to fine tune fx params. Maybe click 'effects' along the top and then the oscilloscope is replaced by fx params?Dunno... Something really needs to be done tho.

Tiny browser window. Ugh. It isn't a REAL Korg es2 or Elektron box. So why make it equally as annoying to browse samples on? Please, an 'expand' button for full screen browsing. Again, this is 2017 and the iPad with a huge screen. Browsing is one of the things that an iPad should be able to destroy hardware equivalents with tiny screens... This app is going to be a nightmare to browse through a decent sample library in its current state.

No nested folders. In 2017. On a platform that has ton of storage and decent size screen. Ugh..

No re-trig/roll param... Needs a 2nd page of params.
    No filter envelope... Needs a 2nd page of params.
    Only one lfo per Part... Needs a 2nd page of params.

No time strech option to allow a sample to be played chromatically as an instrument and keep its true length on all notes. In 2017. On an iPad.. Ugh. Even my microsampler does this..

No spring reverb in the insert fx.

Only one insert fx per Part. Can live with this if resampling arrives. But still, a ridiculous limitation in 2017. Should have 2 insert fx per Part, minimum. Again, this should be on a 2nd params page.

No stereo samples. Super weird limitation for an iPad app. Can live with it but still... I hope for at least the option to export separate track stems in stereo (otherwise dialling in/performing with half the fx types etc are going to be a waste of time and unable to export to mix properly..)

No Pad latch. For ambient loops etc.

No option for filter to be pre/post insert fx.

No arpeggio latch.

No AUv3.

So yeah.... That's just the main issues I had during day one. On top of that there is a ton of menu diving throughout a session. It's not as fast as people are making it out to be. A lot of stuff is buried. A 2nd params page full of currently missing functionality and button shortcuts for the main shortcuts people hit in a session (metronome, quantise settings etc) would smooth it out an make it feel much more 'pro' or like using hardware.

For the intro price of £10 its pretty good and fun to mess with. No chance I'd pay £20 for this app tho... It's missing too much depth from the hardware equivalents that it's based on. It's definitely promising but misses the mark in its current 'idiot proof' and slightly OVER-simplified state.

Everything I've mentioned can be addressed without detracting from the 'fast workflow/hardware vibe'. Hopefully some serious updates arrive in future...

• edited December 2017

@Iostress you obviously don't understand point of this app. It's groovebox, it's primary target is live jamming... it's NOT production tool .. most of features are acessible directly from knob/button on main screen to simply quick tweak during live performance..if you're playing lice you haven't time to dig into piano roll, etc

it is expected you record all stuff realtime usng pads - that's how such grooveboxes are used

i's not supposed to be competitor to DAW apps.. it's improved clone of korg´s hardware groovebox Electribe...

No sampling. On a sample groove box

where you read it's sample groove box ?? it is not.. it is primary SYNTH groove box with bonus feature simple sample slicing tool

It's missing too much depth from the hardware equivalents that it's based on

What exactly have Korg Electribe which Groove Rider doesn't have ? Btw this was not supposed to be clone of Electribe Sampler (red one) but Electribe (synth - blue one)

Acctualy the truth is opposite.. Groove Rider have lot features which are missing on Korg Electribe

• @Iostress said:
    Bought this on the back of the hype on this forum. Struggling to see what the fuss is about tbh. Yeah it's fun to sketch ideas out on and fast at what it does, but that's because in many areas its crippled to the point where it feels like a toy.

No piano roll editor. Editing anything polyphonic and/or complex is insanely tedious. Find the notes. Delete the notes. Find the new notes. Ugh... What year is this? What size screen am I looking at!?? Please add an expand piano view option for modern note editing convenience/speed. .

No sampling. On a sample groove box. In ios which as a platform is like pulling teeth in terms of shuffling files around. Ugh...

Idiot proof fx. I read '32 insert fx' and thought, 'this is going to be fun!'. In reality that should read approx 10 fx. Most of the fx are variations laid out to compensate for the app having almost zero user tweakability in the fx. One knob. So I can't even set a Delay's time/feedback/wet&dry independently. Or automate these independently. I realise the dev wants to keep it simple and reminiscent of hardware, thats admirable, but I don't have ANY hardware that doesn't at least allow 3 x params for tuning for fx (sp404..... Probably the most basic in terms of dialling in fx). There needs to be options to fine tune fx params. Maybe click 'effects' along the top and then the oscilloscope is replaced by fx params?Dunno... Something really needs to be done tho.

Tiny browser window. Ugh. It isn't a REAL Korg es2 or Elektron box. So why make it equally as annoying to browse samples on? Please, an 'expand' button for full screen browsing. Again, this is 2017 and the iPad with a huge screen. Browsing is one of the things that an iPad should be able to destroy hardware equivalents with tiny screens... This app is going to be a nightmare to browse through a decent sample library in its current state.

No nested folders. In 2017. On a platform that has ton of storage and decent size screen. Ugh..

No time strech option to allow a sample to be played chromatically as an instrument and keep its true length on all notes. In 2017. On an iPad.. Ugh. Even my microsampler does this..

Only one insert fx per Part. Can live with this if resampling arrives. But still, a ridiculous limitation in 2017. Should have 2 insert fx per Part, minimum. Again, this should be on a 2nd params page.

No stereo samples. Super weird limitation for an iPad app. Can live with it but still... I hope for at least the option to export separate track stems in stereo (otherwise dialling in/performing with half the fx types etc are going to be a waste of time and unable to export to mix properly..)

No arpeggio latch.

No AUv3.

So yeah.... That's just the main issues I had during day one. On top of that there is a ton of menu diving throughout a session. It's not as fast as people are making it out to be. A lot of stuff is buried. A 2nd params page full of currently missing functionality and button shortcuts for the main shortcuts people hit in a session (metronome, quantise settings etc) would smooth it out an make it feel much more 'pro' or like using hardware.

For the intro price of £10 its pretty good and fun to mess with. No chance I'd pay £20 for this app tho... It's missing too much depth from the hardware equivalents that it's based on. It's definitely promising but misses the mark in its current 'idiot proof' and slightly OVER-simplified state.

Everything I've mentioned can be addressed without detracting from the 'fast workflow/hardware vibe'. Hopefully some serious updates arrive in future...

Thanks for your feedback, your opinion is important! As for my opinion, the musicians, who really familiar with the workflow of the hardware you've mentioned (the target audience), won't agree with you in the most of terms. Nevertheless, you have a right for your own point of view and always have a possibility to request a refund back from the App Store to drink a couple of cups of coffee.

• To All: Update 1.1.2 is out now on the App Store, please download it. The update mainly contains a fixes plus Midi Input and Audio Export functions. Here's the update info:

• pattern audio export function added with support of 16, 24 and 32 bit wav formats;
    • sample import related bugs fixed;
    • double tap the value jog crash issue fixed;
    • Documents folder reorganized: previously created Import and Export folders were removed from the app's Documents folder;
    • you can now have custom folders with samples in the Documents folder, they will be visible in the wave selector table;
    • "Import" tab in the wave selector table has been renamed to "User";
    • BPM allowed range set to 20 - 999;
    • "Chain To" pattern parameter now shows pattern names, not only numbers;
    • fixed: chain pattern mode was not working while app was playing in the background;
    • fixed: modified slices were not saving within the pattern;
    • "Transpose only 1 Bar Up/Dn" function added;
    • fixed: bar auto copy was copying with incorrect bars order when changing pattern length from 2 to 4 bars;
    • imported samples length limit is raised to 16 seconds per sample;
    • now shows the error message, when trying to load a sample with length longer than 16 seconds;
    • metronome volume global setting added;
    • Midi Input added (both Core Midi and Virtual Midi In port), with 2 modes: Omni (to control only one currently selected part) and Poly (16 parts independently);
    • Midi Input notes "Velocity Curve" global setting added.

Please don't forget to download updated manual from page:
    http://www.jimaudio.pro/grooverider

• Great stuff Jim. Just getting an initial handle on GR and I'm now excited to download this update. MIDI in ! Most excellent !

• @jimpavloff said:
    To All: Update 1.1.2 is out now on the App Store, please download it. The update mainly contains a fixes plus Midi Input and Audio Export functions. Here's the update info:

• pattern audio export function added with support of 16, 24 and 32 bit wav formats;
    • Documents folder reorganized: previously created Import and Export folders were removed from the app's Documents folder;
    • you can now have custom folders with samples in the Documents folder, they will be visible in the wave selector table;
    • fixed: chain pattern mode was not working while app was playing in the background;
    • fixed: bar auto copy was copying with incorrect bars order when changing pattern length from 2 to 4 bars;
    • now shows the error message, when trying to load a sample with length longer than 16 seconds;
    • Midi Input added (both Core Midi and Virtual Midi In port), with 2 modes: Omni (to control only one currently selected part) and Poly (16 parts independently);

Great update.. midi in is the bomb..

Thank you..

• edited December 2017

@wim said:

@wim said:

@RajahP said:
    Don’t think it will bloat to add key notes into the pads, velocity, ties etc.. I think it’s hell trying to edit notes (The arp and keys) with that jog wheel, it’s a hardware thing, it slows down the process. The iPad is touch and go, simple.. Maybe you need to fire up GB’s Beat sequencer to see where I am going..
    Love this app dearly.. and can’t wait for midi and stem export..

I'm confused by this. You don't have to edit notes using the jog wheel. You just engage the KEYS button, touch the step you want to edit in the area at the top right, then toggle notes on and off using the pads.

Sure, you have to adjust the other parameters such as velocity using the jog wheel, but I actually like this. In most piano rolls I'm forever deleting notes when I want to lengthen them, not being able to adjust the parameters accurately like I want, etc. I agree that if you had to edit the actual notes using the jog wheel it would be a pain, but you don't, and the rest I like.

Ok.. thanks..I got the idea now.. ..one can ‘drag’ on the jog wheel for adjustment.. works very nice..

Edit.. select and drag...

• edited December 2017

@jimpavloff great update.. now take some rest, you deserve it ;-)

• @jimpavloff said:

@Iostress said:
    Bought this on the back of the hype on this forum. Struggling to see what the fuss is about tbh. Yeah it's fun to sketch ideas out on and fast at what it does, but that's because in many areas its crippled to the point where it feels like a toy.

No arpeggio latch.

No AUv3.

Thanks for your feedback, your opinion is important! As for my opinion, the musicians, who really familiar with the workflow of the hardware you've mentioned (the target audience), won't agree with you in the most of terms. Nevertheless, you have a right for your own point of view and always have a possibility to request a refund back from the App Store to drink a couple of cups of coffee.

I'm not knocking your work. It's a cool app. Just feels half-hearted at moment and like it is intentionally ignoring all the potential benefits of iPad vs Hardware dsp/screen and instead is a carbon copy that needlessly includes shortcomings dictated by hardware dsp/screen size.

As for target audience that are familiar with the hardware boxes, I have them all here and know them inside out ;) All of them have deeper fx param options ;)

I'll skip the refund and keep on eye on how things progress.

Good luck with it in any case :)

• Can anyone confirm Bluetooth midi support in the update? Can't check atm. Thanks!

• @Iostress said:

No arpeggio latch.

No AUv3.

@Iostress
    This may not be the app for you. If you were thinking of buying the Hardware that inspired the GR-16, DON'T. If you think this app is limited, the Hardware is way worse.

What you are describing as far as your needs is DAW type system, which GR-16 is not. Korg Gadget would be your best bet. Gadget is my tool of choice. What GR-16 is good for is creating short 1 to 4 bar melodies and beats to export out and use for your DAW, like Gadget or Garage Band.

But I do agree with one thing you pointed out: "No time strech option to allow a sample to be played chromatically as an instrument and keep its true length on all notes"

@jimpavloff She's right about this part, TIME STRETCH, dude! It's a "Have Too". Electribes do a little time stretch. You can do it better!

• @Iostress said:
    Can anyone confirm Bluetooth midi support in the update? Can't check atm. Thanks!

No BlueTooth midi

• @dendy said:
    @Iostress you obviously don't understand point of this app. It's groovebox, it's primary target is live jamming... it's NOT production tool .. most of features are acessible directly from knob/button on main screen to simply quick tweak during live performance..if you're playing lice you haven't time to dig into piano roll, etc

it is expected you record all stuff realtime usng pads - that's how such grooveboxes are used

i's not supposed to be competitor to DAW apps.. it's improved clone of korg´s hardware groovebox Electribe...

No sampling. On a sample groove box

where you read it's sample groove box ?? it is not.. it is primary SYNTH groove box with bonus feature simple sample slicing tool

It's missing too much depth from the hardware equivalents that it's based on

What exactly have Korg Electribe which Groove Rider doesn't have ? Btw this was not supposed to be clone of Electribe Sampler (red one) but Electribe (synth - blue one)

Acctualy the truth is opposite.. Groove Rider have lot features which are missing on Korg Electribe

Kinda judgemental to say I 'don't understand the point of this app' no?

Yeah I know it's for live performance. I'm a touring musician. Hence my interest. But it's also a sequencer. People edit notes in sequencers... No? Does hardware do this well? No... So why mimic it?

I dont need to 'read' its a sample groove box. But it is one. It sequences samples. Lame to not be able to sample directly in to it and avoid all the ios import stress. Don't you think so? The synth features are pretty thin if you're right and it's primarily just a synth groove box...

Re missing stuff from hardware equivalents. The main thing is FX params fine tuning. One knob/param is too little... And it's kind of misleading in the iTunes feature list to say it has '32 insert fx'...

• Not sure why everyone is saying I'm requesting a daw?? Extra lfo/deeper params editing for fx/timestrech/latch etc... All features found on various grooveboxes/samplers... Performance boxes..

The only thing vaguely Daw-ish I mentioned was a better note editor and browser. Which seem like no-brainers on an iPad ;)

• @SMKArtist said:

@Iostress said:
    Can anyone confirm Bluetooth midi support in the update? Can't check atm. Thanks!

No BlueTooth midi

Bummer :( hopefully next time ;)

• edited December 2017

@Iostress said:

@SMKArtist said:

@Iostress said:

No BlueTooth midi

Bummer :( hopefully next time ;)

@lostress
    Correction. It is included. I didn't see it listed in the notes. Try a bluetooth midi controller and by the way, set the GR to Poly. Also since you have an Electribe 2, connect your trbe to GR-16 and try it out. It's pretty damn amazing. Again, Poly!

• @jimpavloff said:
    To All: Update 1.1.2 is out now on the App Store, please download it. The update mainly contains a fixes plus Midi Input and Audio Export functions. Here's the update info:

Nice update. Thanks @jimpavloff !