Skip to content

Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

Comments

• @SMKArtist said:

@Iostress said:

@SMKArtist said:

@Iostress said:
    Can anyone confirm Bluetooth midi support in the update? Can't check atm. Thanks!

No BlueTooth midi

Bummer :( hopefully next time ;)

@lostress
    Correction. It is included. I didn't see it listed in the notes. Try a bluetooth midi controller and by the way, set the GR to Poly. Also since you have an Electribe 2, connect your trbe to GR-16 and try it out. It's pretty damn amazing. Again, Poly!

Cool that BT midi is in there :) will check it out tonight.

I don't have an electribe. Just those other boxes I referred to and couple others (404, 555, op1, OT, Microsampler, volca sample, A4 mki.....so I'm not totally green re samplers/grooveboxes/performance ;) which was kinda what people were implying...

• @Iostress said:
    Can anyone confirm Bluetooth midi support in the update? Can't check atm. Thanks!

Confirmed

• edited December 2017

@lostress said:
    As for target audience that are familiar with the hardware boxes, I have them all here and know them inside out ;)

@Iostress said:
    I don't have an electribe. ... which was kinda what people were implying...

You imply so we imply back. ;)

Edited for clarity.

• Brilliant update, thanks :)
    Now with midi in too

• @Iostress said:

@SMKArtist said:

@Iostress said:

@SMKArtist said:

@Iostress said:

No BlueTooth midi

Bummer :( hopefully next time ;)

@lostress
    Correction. It is included. I didn't see it listed in the notes. Try a bluetooth midi controller and by the way, set the GR to Poly. Also since you have an Electribe 2, connect your trbe to GR-16 and try it out. It's pretty damn amazing. Again, Poly!

Cool that BT midi is in there :) will check it out tonight.

I don't have an electribe. Just those other boxes I referred to and couple others (404, 555, op1, OT, Microsampler, volca sample, A4 mki.....so I'm not totally green re samplers/grooveboxes/performance ;) which was kinda what people were implying...

@Iostress
    Unfortunately you are "Green" on the one Groove Box this app was inspired by which is the one you don't own. This is why others were giving you a hard time. The Developer made an app version of Electribe 2 which had a very rough release because Korg refused to listen to it's target market. GR-16 is basically everything that Korg refused to fix on their groove box. In fact after Korgs last update to the Electribes they left a function completely broken and created redundant shift commands. It's really sad how much Korg screwed up the Electribe. Seeing the new GR-16 is like looking at what Korg could have done. But thanks to the GR-16 updated midi functions, it brings new life to Korg Electribes with better integration into the iPad.

• @jimpavloff thanks once again - diving in to the latest update :)

• Great update, @jimpavloff! MIDI in is good news.
    I do agree that it would be smart to take advantage of the iPad's luxurious screen real estate in menus and note editing, though. Having an expandable screen instead of the tiny one would be very helpful indeed. I don't own an electribe either, so I'm not used to those limitations of the original. It's just a little weird having this on a 12.9" screen and being limited to such a tiny corner of that for the screen part of the app.
    I hope you'll consider this, @jimpavloff.

• @Iostress said:
    Bought this on the back of the hype on this forum. Struggling to see what the fuss is about tbh. Yeah it's fun to sketch ideas out on and fast at what it does, but that's because in many areas its crippled to the point where it feels like a toy.

No piano roll editor. Editing anything polyphonic and/or complex is insanely tedious. Find the notes. Delete the notes. Find the new notes. Ugh... What year is this? What size screen am I looking at!?? Please add an expand piano view option for modern note editing convenience/speed. .

No sampling. On a sample groove box. In ios which as a platform is like pulling teeth in terms of shuffling files around. Ugh...

10 sec sample length limit. In 2017.

Idiot proof fx. I read '32 insert fx' and thought, 'this is going to be fun!'. In reality that should read approx 10 fx. Most of the fx are variations laid out to compensate for the app having almost zero user tweakability in the fx. One knob. So I can't even set a Delay's time/feedback/wet&dry independently. Or automate these independently. I realise the dev wants to keep it simple and reminiscent of hardware, thats admirable, but I don't have ANY hardware that doesn't at least allow 3 x params for tuning for fx (sp404..... Probably the most basic in terms of dialling in fx). There needs to be options to fine tune fx params. Maybe click 'effects' along the top and then the oscilloscope is replaced by fx params?Dunno... Something really needs to be done tho.

Tiny browser window. Ugh. It isn't a REAL Korg es2 or Elektron box. So why make it equally as annoying to browse samples on? Please, an 'expand' button for full screen browsing. Again, this is 2017 and the iPad with a huge screen. Browsing is one of the things that an iPad should be able to destroy hardware equivalents with tiny screens... This app is going to be a nightmare to browse through a decent sample library in its current state.

No nested folders. In 2017. On a platform that has ton of storage and decent size screen. Ugh..

No re-trig/roll param... Needs a 2nd page of params.
    No filter envelope... Needs a 2nd page of params.
    Only one lfo per Part... Needs a 2nd page of params.

No time strech option to allow a sample to be played chromatically as an instrument and keep its true length on all notes. In 2017. On an iPad.. Ugh. Even my microsampler does this..

No spring reverb in the insert fx.

Only one insert fx per Part. Can live with this if resampling arrives. But still, a ridiculous limitation in 2017. Should have 2 insert fx per Part, minimum. Again, this should be on a 2nd params page.

No stereo samples. Super weird limitation for an iPad app. Can live with it but still... I hope for at least the option to export separate track stems in stereo (otherwise dialling in/performing with half the fx types etc are going to be a waste of time and unable to export to mix properly..)

No Pad latch. For ambient loops etc.

No option for filter to be pre/post insert fx.

No arpeggio latch.

No AUv3.

So yeah.... That's just the main issues I had during day one. On top of that there is a ton of menu diving throughout a session. It's not as fast as people are making it out to be. A lot of stuff is buried. A 2nd params page full of currently missing functionality and button shortcuts for the main shortcuts people hit in a session (metronome, quantise settings etc) would smooth it out an make it feel much more 'pro' or like using hardware.

For the intro price of £10 its pretty good and fun to mess with. No chance I'd pay £20 for this app tho... It's missing too much depth from the hardware equivalents that it's based on. It's definitely promising but misses the mark in its current 'idiot proof' and slightly OVER-simplified state.

Everything I've mentioned can be addressed without detracting from the 'fast workflow/hardware vibe'. Hopefully some serious updates arrive in future...

Grooverider is EXCELLENT -

• edited December 2017

@stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:
    Bought this on the back of the hype on this forum. Struggling to see what the fuss is about tbh. Yeah it's fun to sketch ideas out on and fast at what it does, but that's because in many areas its crippled to the point where it feels like a toy.

No piano roll editor. Editing anything polyphonic and/or complex is insanely tedious. Find the notes. Delete the notes. Find the new notes. Ugh... What year is this? What size screen am I looking at!?? Please add an expand piano view option for modern note editing convenience/speed. .

No sampling. On a sample groove box. In ios which as a platform is like pulling teeth in terms of shuffling files around. Ugh...

Idiot proof fx. I read '32 insert fx' and thought, 'this is going to be fun!'. In reality that should read approx 10 fx. Most of the fx are variations laid out to compensate for the app having almost zero user tweakability in the fx. One knob. So I can't even set a Delay's time/feedback/wet&dry independently. Or automate these independently. I realise the dev wants to keep it simple and reminiscent of hardware, thats admirable, but I don't have ANY hardware that doesn't at least allow 3 x params for tuning for fx (sp404..... Probably the most basic in terms of dialling in fx). There needs to be options to fine tune fx params. Maybe click 'effects' along the top and then the oscilloscope is replaced by fx params?Dunno... Something really needs to be done tho.

Tiny browser window. Ugh. It isn't a REAL Korg es2 or Elektron box. So why make it equally as annoying to browse samples on? Please, an 'expand' button for full screen browsing. Again, this is 2017 and the iPad with a huge screen. Browsing is one of the things that an iPad should be able to destroy hardware equivalents with tiny screens... This app is going to be a nightmare to browse through a decent sample library in its current state.

No nested folders. In 2017. On a platform that has ton of storage and decent size screen. Ugh..

No time strech option to allow a sample to be played chromatically as an instrument and keep its true length on all notes. In 2017. On an iPad.. Ugh. Even my microsampler does this..

Only one insert fx per Part. Can live with this if resampling arrives. But still, a ridiculous limitation in 2017. Should have 2 insert fx per Part, minimum. Again, this should be on a 2nd params page.

No stereo samples. Super weird limitation for an iPad app. Can live with it but still... I hope for at least the option to export separate track stems in stereo (otherwise dialling in/performing with half the fx types etc are going to be a waste of time and unable to export to mix properly..)

No arpeggio latch.

No AUv3.

So yeah.... That's just the main issues I had during day one. On top of that there is a ton of menu diving throughout a session. It's not as fast as people are making it out to be. A lot of stuff is buried. A 2nd params page full of currently missing functionality and button shortcuts for the main shortcuts people hit in a session (metronome, quantise settings etc) would smooth it out an make it feel much more 'pro' or like using hardware.

For the intro price of £10 its pretty good and fun to mess with. No chance I'd pay £20 for this app tho... It's missing too much depth from the hardware equivalents that it's based on. It's definitely promising but misses the mark in its current 'idiot proof' and slightly OVER-simplified state.

Everything I've mentioned can be addressed without detracting from the 'fast workflow/hardware vibe'. Hopefully some serious updates arrive in future...

@lostress Grooverider is EXCELLENT -And thats coming from a SP1200/SP404/AKAI S950/MPC 60 user - it's a brand new app - sometimes less is more - less spoilt functions creates production.

your name is "lo stress" dont stress

• edited December 2017

@jimpavloff - thanks for sorting the update quickly - imports are working now - In a future update - can we get an option to create folders for sample imports to help organise the samples also some display parameters or settings in the main window for the touchpad or even an option to save the settings as presets
    Also is there a way to transfer projects to another ipad or is it samples only for now ? - this app really is cool :-)

• @stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff - thanks for sorting the update quickly - imports are working now - In a future update - can we get an option to create folders for sample imports to help organise the samples also some display parameters or settings in the main window for the touchpad or even an option to save the settings as presets
    Also is there a way to transfer projects to another ipad or is it samples only for now ? - this app really is cool :-)

When you export a 'pattern' it will also include all user samples.
    After that it's just a matter of using the FIles.app and 'airdroping'(share) the file to the other device.

• @Samu said:

@stormbeats said:

When you export a 'pattern' it will also include all user samples.
    After that it's just a matter of using the FIles.app and 'airdroping'(share) the file to the other device.

cheers - for info dude

• Wow you need a PhD get this app.
    I have a circuit and it took some time to familiar with the thing but found this way more intuitive than this one.

Is it possible to take a sample, put it on keys mode and play a melody with the sample and record it to the box?! I am not able to do this.

Another thing is: is it not possible to use the slice mode to create slices and after that sequence them in a new way?!

I played it for hours but I see no progress - any one any insights?!

• I don’t get it. With erase mode highlighted- it just erases for me. What ‘actual pad’ do you mean- I can’t get it to replace record.
    You are in erase mode with the record function on- Yes?

• @anickt said:
    Read the manual folks...

http://www.jimaudio.pro/grooverider

RTMF
    or wasn't it RTFM?

• @anickt said:
    Read the manual folks...

+1

• edited December 2017

@jimpavloff

I hooked up my nanoKontrol2 and nanoPads2 to it and although somethings seem to work (I reset them back to factory default to test) there were a few things I was hoping for:

Being able to use the pads on the nanoPad2 to mute/unmute parts.
    Being able to use the nanoKontrol2 to adjust volumes, pans, values etc.

I didn't have them hooked up at the same time.

I see GR-16 as great for performance, so having a midi learn would go far to setup any midi to control it as needed.

Thanks in advance and thanks for your hard work so far!!!

Edit:

Just looking through your midi table I can set up my midi to match some of the value I was looking to control, but I am not seeing a part mute/unmute.

• @anickt said:
    Read the manual folks...

Thanks. Except that the manual doesn’t answer my question. Can I sequence the slices in the sequencer?!

• @Telengard said:
    @jimpavloff

I hooked up my nanoKontrol2 and nanoPads2 to it and although somethings seem to work (I reset them back to factory default to test) there were a few things I was hoping for:

I see GR-16 as great for performance, so having a midi learn would go far to setup any midi to control it as needed.

Edit:

Just looking through your midi table I can set up my midi to match some of the value I was looking to control, but I am not seeing a part mute/unmute.

It is currently impossible to mute/unmute from a midi. Maybe things will become clearer when I get closer to the Midi Learn. How are you mainly going to use a midi with your controls, in Omni or Poly mode?

• @david_2017 said:

@anickt said:
    Read the manual folks...

Thanks. Except that the manual doesn’t answer my question. Can I sequence the slices in the sequencer?!

You can Record them in realtime using Pads in Slices mode into a track. Then do some edits in the Step Editor.

• @jimpavloff said:
    To All: Update 1.1.2 is out now on the App Store, please download it. The update mainly contains a fixes plus Midi Input and Audio Export functions. Here's the update info:

• pattern audio export function added with support of 16, 24 and 32 bit wav formats;
    • sample import related bugs fixed;
    • double tap the value jog crash issue fixed;
    • Documents folder reorganized: previously created Import and Export folders were removed from the app's Documents folder;
    • you can now have custom folders with samples in the Documents folder, they will be visible in the wave selector table;
    • "Import" tab in the wave selector table has been renamed to "User";
    • BPM allowed range set to 20 - 999;
    • "Chain To" pattern parameter now shows pattern names, not only numbers;
    • fixed: chain pattern mode was not working while app was playing in the background;
    • fixed: modified slices were not saving within the pattern;
    • "Transpose only 1 Bar Up/Dn" function added;
    • fixed: bar auto copy was copying with incorrect bars order when changing pattern length from 2 to 4 bars;
    • imported samples length limit is raised to 16 seconds per sample;
    • now shows the error message, when trying to load a sample with length longer than 16 seconds;
    • metronome volume global setting added;
    • Midi Input added (both Core Midi and Virtual Midi In port), with 2 modes: Omni (to control only one currently selected part) and Poly (16 parts independently);
    • Midi Input notes "Velocity Curve" global setting added.

Please don't forget to download updated manual from page:

SUPERGREAT WEEKEND WORKING!
    top notch developer! Thanks!!

• @david_2017 said:

@anickt said:
    Read the manual folks...

The Slice button should be lit, not blinking. Then put it in record play the pads. Slice blinking allows you to edit slices. I believe you can step enter but I haven’t gotten to that yet.

• @SMKArtist said:

@Iostress said:

No arpeggio latch.

No AUv3.

@Iostress
    This may not be the app for you. If you were thinking of buying the Hardware that inspired the GR-16, DON'T. If you think this app is limited, the Hardware is way worse.

What you are describing as far as your needs is DAW type system, which GR-16 is not. Korg Gadget would be your best bet. Gadget is my tool of choice. What GR-16 is good for is creating short 1 to 4 bar melodies and beats to export out and use for your DAW, like Gadget or Garage Band.

But I do agree with one thing you pointed out: "No time strech option to allow a sample to be played chromatically as an instrument and keep its true length on all notes"

@jimpavloff She's right about this part, TIME STRETCH, dude! It's a "Have Too". Electribes do a little time stretch. You can do it better!

Hmmm... How can you know that @Iostress is a she?

• edited December 2017

@jimpavloff said:

@Telengard said:
    @jimpavloff

Edit:

It is currently impossible to mute/unmute from a midi. Maybe things will become clearer when I get closer to the Midi Learn. How are you mainly going to use a midi with your controls, in Omni or Poly mode?

I was thinking probably omni mode. So that I could switch between parts as needed and play or adjust effects, etc for performance flairs. It would be cool to have some type of way to have that and be able to mute/unmute/solo any part from the midi interface. That is why I was thinking midi learn.

• edited December 2017

@jimpavloff great update! Thx!

Does the change to the user sample import mean that I no longer need to move the imports to favorites in the files app?

Never mind. Figured out it’s no longer needed.

• What would be the preferable way of using the gr-16 in song/arrangement mode ? Pattern chaining? Or trigger pattern on the fly to build a song? Thx

• @Telengard said:

@lostress said:
    As for target audience that are familiar with the hardware boxes, I have them all here and know them inside out ;)

@Iostress said:
    I don't have an electribe. ... which was kinda what people were implying...

You imply so we imply back. ;)

Edited for clarity.

Hmmm... He/She is maybe a troll...

• @db909 said:
    Tip: make sure you try holding shift while adjusting knobs for fine tuning. Seems like that’s where the sweet spots > @ErrkaPetti said:

@SMKArtist said:

@Iostress said:

No arpeggio latch.

No AUv3.

@Iostress
    This may not be the app for you. If you were thinking of buying the Hardware that inspired the GR-16, DON'T. If you think this app is limited, the Hardware is way worse.

What you are describing as far as your needs is DAW type system, which GR-16 is not. Korg Gadget would be your best bet. Gadget is my tool of choice. What GR-16 is good for is creating short 1 to 4 bar melodies and beats to export out and use for your DAW, like Gadget or Garage Band.

But I do agree with one thing you pointed out: "No time strech option to allow a sample to be played chromatically as an instrument and keep its true length on all notes"

@jimpavloff She's right about this part, TIME STRETCH, dude! It's a "Have Too". Electribes do a little time stretch. You can do it better!

Hmmm... How can you know that @Iostress is a she?

I had the same thought! There’s two ways you can read that handle. One, with the feminine suffix – “ess” — it seems to refer to woman who tends to get lost? Or it could be a mashup of “low stress.”

• edited December 2017

@jimpavloff said:

@Telengard said:
    @jimpavloff

Edit:

Is it likely you are going to keep the current CC settings. I am going to set up my controller to those setting now to test out. My electribe2 is with a friend so I can't test that. Did you set up the MIDI based upon the electribe2 MIDI?

Also, will you be adding start/stop controls in MIDI?

This app is awesome. I love my electribe2, but I was hoping the electribe2 was going to an evolution from my EMX. And it wasn't, but it was awesome in it's own way. Korg seems to have stopped developing it, but it doesn't matter much now as I have GR-16!!!!