Skip to content

Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

Comments

• @Mark B said:

@Mark B said:

@wim said:
    @jimpavloff, feature request:
    Could you consider adding “Copy to Groove Rider” ability so that in apps that support it, using “Open In...” would be able to send wav files directly to the User folder?

For instance, in AudioShare, pressing the export icon brings up a list of just about every app that can accept wav files. One simple step from any app rather than having to dump first to the files app then over to Groove Rider.

I can’t say that I’m as enthusiastic about the files app as a lot of people seem to be. It just seems like one more unnecessary stop along the way to me so far.

I’m guessing it’s comparatively simple to implement this, but I’m not a developer.

In Audioshare if you touch and hold the sound then select Export from the menu you can copy the sound directly to Groove Riders folder.

Edit: Sorry, misread your post. You're talking about copying from any app. Fair enough.

Actually, thanks very much. I overlooked that, and it works great, and does work from more than just AudioShare! That is just what I was looking for but didn’t get about how the new files app works.

• @stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff I've updated Grooverider to latest 1.1.2
    my ipad pro is ios11
    my ipad air2 is ios11.2.1
    on both my ipads in files app there are no root folders I'am only seeing a "Grooverider" folder.
    i clik on the Groove Rider folder it's empty no sub folders at all? Just the Groove Rider pre installed wav file loops
    Also via iTunes no other folders just Grooverider
    Anyone else with same issue?

You just have to drop your samples inside Groove Rider's folder (it IS a root folder, indeed). It is normal, that after update you don't see any subfolders - they all were removed, and their contents were moved to the root folder. Now you can create/copy in your own subfolders and they will be visible in GR.

• @skiphunt said:

@InfoCheck said:

@skiphunt said:

@InfoCheck said:

@Mark B said:
    The only limitation is that you can’t manually edit which slice plays, only the pitch - unless I’m missing something. You have to play the slices in live.

You can delete notes too and then overdub live what you’ve recorded already. Swapping one sliced sample for another via copy paste methods works especially if they have the same number of slices. It would be nice if @jimpavloff came up with a more straight forward way to do step editing of sliced samples. Read the revised manual which was very good.

The only issue I’ve run across is import/export of patterns and samples that were in user sub folders, when the pattern is imported, Groove Rider can’t reconnect the samples with the pattern. Manually loading the samples into the pattern restores its functionality.

I haven’t read the updated manual yet. The previous one was good after I got the hang of the interface idiosyncrasies. It sounds like you’re able to do what I’m asking about if I’m reading you correctly. Will visit the updated manual to see if I can sort it out from there. Thx

To record slices after you’ve set them up, hit the slice button after you’ve selected the pad with the original sample on it in trigger mode. Each of the 16 pads will contain a slice. If you have less than 16 slices, those pads beyond the less than 16 will each have the full sample rather than slices. To add notes with the step editor you follow the same procedure as for regular samples on a part except you can’t change which slice is playing in the step editor though you can add more voices (notes) or chords via the keys and chord buttons as it talks about in the manual.

I don’t think we’re on the same page. I’m aware of how the slicing works and that you can record them. I’m asking about something different.

First off, it’s not that important that I be able to do what I’m asking about. I was originally just asking if what I wanted to do was possible. Let me try to describe it again.

I select a sample I’ve imported. I select slice twice so that I’m editing each of the 16 slices. For simplicity in the description, let’s say I’m only interested in the first 3 slices. 1-3.

Ok, I’ve edited slice 1 to be a sliver at the beginning of the sample and pitched it up. Slice 2 is a wider slice of the middle and pitched down. Slice 3 is a sliver from the back end and also pitched higher.

Now, I’ve got 3 edited slices of my sample. I want to select sample 2, go into sequence mode, and make a sequence, not record one. Now my first sequence is playing using only my edited slice 2. Now, I want to select edited slice 3 and create another sequence as if slice 3 is an independent part. I tap out a sequence, then do the same for slice 1.

Now, I’ve got 3 sequences playing and each part is using either edited slice 1, 2, or 3 as its part. But, I want to change my sequence that’s using edited slice 2. I don’t want to overdub or re-record. I just want to change the sequence using edited slice 2 as it’s “part”.

From everything I’ve read thus far, it does not sound like this is possible at the moment. The last suggestion wim made regarding this would accomplish being able to do this, but to be clear, it’s not important that it be possible. I too am ok with the way it is now.

So, after reading this, do you still think exactly what I’m describing is currently possible? If so, I’ll take a good look at the revised manual and sort it out. If this is not possible right now, that’s ok and I won’t bother with it any more for the time being.

To clarify with Slices. If you import a sample to a Part, you can use SLICE mode to play this sample as 16 different slices. You can record them into a Part when in SLICE mode in realtime. You can use these 16 slices only on the one Part - the part where the original sample belongs.
    There's no current way of changing slice's number for recorded notes in Editor. But this is to be done in the update. Some people here mentioned the possible ways to do it. I was intending to extend the EDIT button (EDIT+SLICE mode) to be able to re-assign slice numbers to already recorded notes. I also must consider adding the 5th column next to the voices in the Editor but not sure yet about this way.

• edited December 2017

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:
    my ipad pro is ios11
    on both my ipads in files app there are no root folders I'am only seeing a "Grooverider" folder.
    i clik on the Groove Rider folder it's empty no sub folders at all? Just the Groove Rider pre installed wav file loops

You just have to drop your samples inside Groove Rider's folder (it IS a root folder, indeed). It is normal, that after update you don't see any subfolders - they all were removed, and their contents were moved to the root folder. Now you can create/copy in your own subfolders and they will be visible in GR.

@jimpavloff ok I hear that - only thing is no folders are created for saved projects/patterns or any project files in files app itunes air drop etc if want to transfer a project to another ipad .

• edited December 2017

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:
    my ipad pro is ios11

@jimpavloff ok I hear that - only thing is no folders are created for saved projects/patterns or any project files in files app itunes air drop etc if want to transfer a project to another ipad .

@jimpavloff I have tried to create more folders than one - never worked- just one folder allowing me to add samples - I really like this app so need the file structure updated
    Peace

• @stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:
    my ipad pro is ios11

You don't need project folders. If you want to export a pattern or a whole bank - just export it to one file. Then just copy this one file to another device and import it. All the samples you have used are already inside that file, no need to copy samples separately.

• @jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:
    my ipad pro is ios11

You don't need project folders. If you want to export a pattern or a whole bank - just export it to one file. Then just copy this one file to another device and import it. All the samples you have used are already inside that file, no need to copy samples separately.

@jimpavloff ok cool I hear ya
    I tried to create more than one folder though and couldnt - just one in GR showed ?
    only thing left for me is Auv3 effect implemented - you will be number one in the beatmaking app world - iam very impressed - and thats coming from someone who been on akai mpc 20 years
    good work,

• edited December 2017

@jimpavloff ok - i did try to create more folders than one but only one shows in GR
    An option to add more folders?
    Also where will I find the file I wish to copy to another device?Does it appear in files app after saving/export pattern/bank?
    Liking the app a lot though -
    Auv3 effects and I wont need any other app
    Well done.
    I write this again cos my last post I think didnt go through on here

• @jimpavloff said:

@skiphunt said:

@InfoCheck said:

@skiphunt said:

@InfoCheck said:

@Mark B said:
    The only limitation is that you can’t manually edit which slice plays, only the pitch - unless I’m missing something. You have to play the slices in live.

You can delete notes too and then overdub live what you’ve recorded already. Swapping one sliced sample for another via copy paste methods works especially if they have the same number of slices. It would be nice if @jimpavloff came up with a more straight forward way to do step editing of sliced samples. Read the revised manual which was very good.

The only issue I’ve run across is import/export of patterns and samples that were in user sub folders, when the pattern is imported, Groove Rider can’t reconnect the samples with the pattern. Manually loading the samples into the pattern restores its functionality.

I haven’t read the updated manual yet. The previous one was good after I got the hang of the interface idiosyncrasies. It sounds like you’re able to do what I’m asking about if I’m reading you correctly. Will visit the updated manual to see if I can sort it out from there. Thx

To record slices after you’ve set them up, hit the slice button after you’ve selected the pad with the original sample on it in trigger mode. Each of the 16 pads will contain a slice. If you have less than 16 slices, those pads beyond the less than 16 will each have the full sample rather than slices. To add notes with the step editor you follow the same procedure as for regular samples on a part except you can’t change which slice is playing in the step editor though you can add more voices (notes) or chords via the keys and chord buttons as it talks about in the manual.

I don’t think we’re on the same page. I’m aware of how the slicing works and that you can record them. I’m asking about something different.

First off, it’s not that important that I be able to do what I’m asking about. I was originally just asking if what I wanted to do was possible. Let me try to describe it again.

I select a sample I’ve imported. I select slice twice so that I’m editing each of the 16 slices. For simplicity in the description, let’s say I’m only interested in the first 3 slices. 1-3.

Ok, I’ve edited slice 1 to be a sliver at the beginning of the sample and pitched it up. Slice 2 is a wider slice of the middle and pitched down. Slice 3 is a sliver from the back end and also pitched higher.

Now, I’ve got 3 edited slices of my sample. I want to select sample 2, go into sequence mode, and make a sequence, not record one. Now my first sequence is playing using only my edited slice 2. Now, I want to select edited slice 3 and create another sequence as if slice 3 is an independent part. I tap out a sequence, then do the same for slice 1.

Now, I’ve got 3 sequences playing and each part is using either edited slice 1, 2, or 3 as its part. But, I want to change my sequence that’s using edited slice 2. I don’t want to overdub or re-record. I just want to change the sequence using edited slice 2 as it’s “part”.

From everything I’ve read thus far, it does not sound like this is possible at the moment. The last suggestion wim made regarding this would accomplish being able to do this, but to be clear, it’s not important that it be possible. I too am ok with the way it is now.

So, after reading this, do you still think exactly what I’m describing is currently possible? If so, I’ll take a good look at the revised manual and sort it out. If this is not possible right now, that’s ok and I won’t bother with it any more for the time being.

To clarify with Slices. If you import a sample to a Part, you can use SLICE mode to play this sample as 16 different slices. You can record them into a Part when in SLICE mode in realtime. You can use these 16 slices only on the one Part - the part where the original sample belongs.
    There's no current way of changing slice's number for recorded notes in Editor. But this is to be done in the update. Some people here mentioned the possible ways to do it. I was intending to extend the EDIT button (EDIT+SLICE mode) to be able to re-assign slice numbers to already recorded notes. I also must consider adding the 5th column next to the voices in the Editor but not sure yet about this way.

Option to expand note edit view in to a full screen standard piano roll ;) Such an obvious 'best' solution for all note editing imho? Otherwise people have to fumble around and calculate 'what number slice am i using?? What number slice do I want to change to??'.... Super awkward/slow compared to just auditioning/placing notes in a piano roll when editing a pattern.

Unless I'm missing something that makes a piano roll note editor unfeasible logistically?

The current way is very similar to my Octatrack for note editing. Which is forgivable in its awkwardness, given the hardware UI limitation.. but definitely not something I'd opt for over a piano roll if I had an iPad touchscreen to utilise in a UI design ;)

• @Iostress said:

@jimpavloff said:

@skiphunt said:

@InfoCheck said:

@skiphunt said:

@InfoCheck said:

@Mark B said:

Option to expand note edit view in to a full screen standard piano roll ;) Such an obvious 'best' solution for all note editing imho? Otherwise people have to fumble around and calculate 'what number slice am i using?? What number slice do I want to change to??'.... Super awkward/slow compared to just auditioning/placing notes in a piano roll when editing a pattern.

Unless I'm missing something that makes a piano roll note editor unfeasible logistically?

The current way is very similar to my Octatrack for note editing. Which is forgivable in its awkwardness, given the hardware UI limitation.. but definitely not something I'd opt for over a piano roll if I had an iPad touchscreen to utilise in a UI design ;)

Even if it was a full screen editor, you would still need to know, what slice number are you playing for the given note, what/how many voices do you use with it and what step number you are currently editing - it is the Step Sequencer, not just a regular midi part as in other Daws.

• @stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff ok - i did try to create more folders than one but only one shows in GR
    Also where will I find the file I wish to copy to another device?Does it appear in files app after saving/export pattern/bank?
    Well done.

All the folders you create should be visible (if they contain wav samples). Also, a folder name must be less than 14 characters in length. If it is still not showing - let me know.

• @jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:
    Well done.

All the folders you create should be visible (if they contain wav samples). Also, a folder name must be less than 14 characters in length. If it is still not showing - let me know.

ok thanks for info

• @jimpavloff said:

@Iostress said:

@jimpavloff said:

@skiphunt said:

@InfoCheck said:

@skiphunt said:

@InfoCheck said:

@Mark B said:

Even if it was a full screen editor, you would still need to know, what slice number are you playing for the given note, what/how many voices do you use with it and what step number you are currently editing - it is the Step Sequencer, not just a regular midi part as in other Daws.

I'm not sure I'm totally understanding the issue. Piano roll would = Slice number/notes vertical on left side, step number along bottom, grid for note placement.

Seems like it would work? But I might not fully understand some of the implications you're referring to.

• edited December 2017

@jimpavloff - I think the filing system is a bit intricate - a future update (no rush) would be good to have the save project/create folder to save project/create folder for user samples/ would be good and clearer all in a sepearate file browsing expanded window within GR
    All else though i really like a lot - hence not wanting to lose any work done on this powerful app
    Also in future update can we have the User Patterns empty of any sounds/parts and pattern when pressing play or hitting the pads for first time after install - A clean blank slate in all the "User Init's"
    :-)

• @Iostress said:
    I'm not sure I'm totally understanding the issue. Piano roll would = Slice number/notes vertical on left side, step number along bottom, grid for note placement.

Seems like it would work? But I might not fully understand some of the implications you're referring to.

Limitations of a step sequencer won't let you draw anything you'll want on a piano roll. E.g. if you have 4 notes (voices) placed at one step, you can't take one of these notes and shift it back/forth without shifting the other 3. And you can shift notes left/right only 1 step maximum. Also, you can't draw in 32nd notes. There a lots of things which would make a piano roll editor kinda "not working" for the things a regular user could do in a usual piano roll.

As for note slices editing, I will think how to make editing of slices simplier, more close to the current way of editing of the notes and chords.

• damn this thing is soooomuch fun... it’s easy to lost with it for hours...

• Been looking at GR16 again today. A few more observations / feature requests.. Apologies in advance ;)

After realising that there isn't even a basic 3 band eq (neither in fx options or in mixer channels...) I'm struggling more than ever to see how no one else is enthusiastic for a 2nd page of params... The app could be totally nailed with a 2nd params page with -

A semi-decent eq (even more vital if no separate Parts stereo wav export is planned).
    Retrig/roll (mimic Elektron for this)
    A 2nd LFO
    Oscilloscope replaced by 'insert fx' params display for tweaking fx settings properly.
    Button shortcuts for - pre/post (filter before/after insert fx), quantize options pop up window, metronome on/off, etc...

All that instant goodness could be put on a 2nd params page and make a HUGE difference to the depth/quality achievable in GR-16....just needs a little 'Page 2' button next to the 'mixer' button....

Gr-16 really does have a ton of potential. It's already super fun. Really hope dev will at least consider the above (or something very similar) for future..

• @Iostress said:
    Been looking at GR16 again today. A few more observations / feature requests.. Apologies in advance ;)

After realising that there isn't even a basic 3 band eq (neither in fx options or in mixer channels...) I'm struggling more than ever to see how no one else is enthusiastic for a 2nd page of params... The app could be totally nailed with a 2nd params page with -

A semi-decent eq (even more vital if no separate Parts stereo wav export is planned).
    A 2nd LFO
    Oscilloscope replaced by 'insert fx' params display for tweaking fx settings properly.
    Button shortcuts for - pre/post (filter before/after insert fx), quantize options pop up window, metronome on/off, etc...

All that instant goodness could be put on a 2nd params page and make a HUGE difference to the depth/quality achievable in GR-16....just needs a little 'Page 2' button next to the 'mixer' button....

Gr-16 really does have a ton of potential. It's already super fun. Really hope dev will at least consider the above (or something very similar) for future..

I agree 100% about the effects section -

• @stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff - I think the filing system is a bit intricate - a future update (no rush) would be good to have the save project/create folder to save project/create folder for user samples/ would be good and clearer all in a sepearate file browsing expanded window within GR
    All else though i really like a lot - hence not wanting to lose any work done on this powerful app
    Also in future update can we have the User Patterns empty of any sounds/parts and pattern when pressing play or hitting the pads for first time after install - A clean blank slate in all the "User Init's"
    :-)

Again, after you have opened your wav samples in Parts, you don't need those sample files anymore and can delete them out of the Groove Rider's folder. No need to keep them in a folder unless you are going to use them in some of your other works.

• edited December 2017

@Iostress said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Iostress said:

@jimpavloff said:

@skiphunt said:

@InfoCheck said:

@skiphunt said:

@InfoCheck said:

@Mark B said:

Seems like it would work? But I might not fully understand some
    @jimpavloff said:

@Iostress said:

Limitations of a step sequencer won't let you draw anything you'll want on a piano roll. E.g. if you have 4 notes (voices) placed at one step, you can't take one of these notes and shift it back/forth without shifting the other 3. And you can shift notes left/right only 1 step maximum. Also, you can't draw in 32nd notes. There a lots of things which would make a piano roll editor kinda "not working" for the things a regular user could do in a usual piano roll.

As for note slices editing, I will think how to make editing of slices simplier, more close to the current way of editing of the notes and chords.

Doesn't it just depend on the code/what you decide to enable? Surely it's possible to nudge notes individually in a piano roll on step sequencer, if it's possible at all outside of piano roll? Seems like if it's possible in one way, then it's also possible to work in a piano roll interface?

99% of the time people are going to want to move all step's notes/voices on a Part together anyway tho? Chords or drumkits or whatever.

Why can't you draw in 32nd notes? Does GR16 not record 32nd notes? If so then Zoom/quantize setting should allow it in editor? Or course only depending on general quantize/tempo setting. But that's a limitation in any case if I understand step sequencing correctly? Not specific to piano roll editing?
    I've yet to really dig in to GR16 so this comment about 32nd notes confused me a little ;)

• @Iostress said:
    Been looking at GR16 again today. A few more observations / feature requests.. Apologies in advance ;)

A 2nd LFO

From the things you have mentioned, I was thinking to create a master parametric EQ, and maybe some master compressor in a future on a separate master fx page. Other things, like more IFX parameters or LFO's are impossible without a total change in GR's parameter structure, that would break all its current functions and make it sound totally different without the backward compatibility. It is like to say "f**k you" to all of its current users.

• @Iostress said:

@Iostress said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Iostress said:

@jimpavloff said:

@skiphunt said:

@InfoCheck said:

@skiphunt said:

@InfoCheck said:

@Mark B said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Iostress said:

Doesn't it just depend on the code/what you decide to enable? Surely it's possible to nudge notes individually in a piano roll on step sequencer, if it's possible at all outside of piano roll? Seems like if it's possible in one way, then it's also possible to work in a piano roll interface?

99% of the time people are going to want to move all step's notes/voices on a Part together anyway tho? Chords or drumkits or whatever.

Why can't you draw in 32nd notes? Does GR16 not record 32nd notes? If so then Zoom/quantize setting should allow it in editor? Or course only depending on general quantize/tempo setting. But that's a limitation in any case if I understand step sequencing correctly? Not specific to piano roll editing?
    I've yet to really dig in to GR16 so this comment about 32nd notes confused me a little ;)

Yes, you're right, GR is not capable of recording of 32nd notes. It is a step sequencer (16 steps per bar), so the 16 is not the same thing as 32, as you can see.

• edited December 2017

@jimpavloff said:

@Iostress said:

A 2nd LFO

From the things you have mentioned, I was thinking to create a master parametric EQ, and maybe some master compressor in a future on a separate master fx page. Other things, like more IFX parameters or LFO's are impossible without a total change in GR's parameter structure, that would break all its current functions and make it sound totally different without the backward compatibility. It is like to say "f**k you" to all of its current users.

@jimpavloff master para eq & compressor - yes yes !!! that will be cool and i hear what you say about could make customers annoyed if fx section changes though i will say an in app purchase or paid upgrade option will solve that

• LOL it is what it is. @Iostress you probably want to look at something like BM3 or IMPC Pro 2 for this workflow. What @jimpavloff is doing with Groove Rider is something for performance oriented users who don't want to look at a pianoroll necessarily. The developer has already said he's considering another more sophisticated app after this one. Given what we've already got with Poison-202 and now Groove Rider I have full confidence he knows what he's doing.

• @jimpavloff said:

@Iostress said:

A 2nd LFO

Huh? Sorry but that doesn't make any sense at all.. If a 2nd params page with eq/retrig/fx params/pre vs post/2nd lfo etc was added. And none of those params were activated/tweaked. It wouldn't change anything at all in current patterns or sound design etc. It would have zero effect on backward compatibility... And even if it did it would only take a second to dial the insert fx back in. They're not exactly complicated fx presets ;) and surely the params would still be the same as they are now, (for instance delay tempo, wet/dry, feedback etc...) the settings would remain the same, they would just be exposed for independent tweaking by user instead of one knob....I'm not sure what language etc you're coding in but the mentioned additions shouldn't 'break' current functions/params at all?

Master parametric EQ/Comp would be better than nothing, but tbh that's not really the problem. It's easy enough to pipe the master out in to another app for EQ/comp. Or hardware eq/comp. Or EQ a master mix in Daw. The problem is having no decent EQ PER Part...In fact no EQ at all per part without sacrificing the insert fx slot... But yeah, an onboard master eq and comp would still be useful :)

This is especially a problem if separate stereo stems export isn't going to be added in future and people want to really nail mixes to any kind of pro type standard... It feels like an unnecessary compromise in production quality given the ios platform/possibilities..

• I know many wants are being mentioned here - fair enough. Just my opinion to the dev @jimpavloff - love the app as is, and while it’s fair enough to tweak and add this and that here - please know that we don’t all want lots more features or even workflow revisions.

The app really comes into its own because it lacks certain features and simplicity rules over feature count. While some may not understand or desire this approach, many of us do for the following reasons:

1. The limited choices and feature count keep the app accessible without much thought - in other words it becomes quicker to think of what to do without more fluff.
    2. Coming up with workarounds sometimes leads to more creative thinking, that’s why many of us love or loved some of the older hardware that lacked features.
    3. Adding too much then conflicts with using the device to start something and then carry it on in another app - in this vain imports and exports of all kinds are more important than any additional fx or methods of use within the app itself.

This is more of a general voicing of opinion. I’m sure that the dev and most people already realise why some don’t want this app to become something else.

• @LucidMusicInc said:
    LOL it is what it is. @Iostress you probably want to look at something like BM3 or IMPC Pro 2 for this workflow. What @jimpavloff is doing with Groove Rider is something for performance oriented users who don't want to look at a pianoroll necessarily. The developer has already said he's considering another more sophisticated app after this one. Given what we've already got with Poison-202 and now Groove Rider I have full confidence he knows what he's doing.

Ugh. Why is everyone recommending I use BM3!? Makes no sense. Totally different... Like I said before, it's like saying that hardware electribe is a groovebox, but anyone wanting an Octatrack or Analog Four (extra lfos/deeper fx/retrigs etc..) should just use Protools. Nonsense...

Piano roll is just the obvious choice for touchscreen note editing. In a daw. In a step sequencer. Whatever... It's a luxury that hardware grooveboxes don't have and makes no sense to ignore it.. But just my opinion...

• @Iostress said:

@LucidMusicInc said:
    LOL it is what it is. @Iostress you probably want to look at something like BM3 or IMPC Pro 2 for this workflow. What @jimpavloff is doing with Groove Rider is something for performance oriented users who don't want to look at a pianoroll necessarily. The developer has already said he's considering another more sophisticated app after this one. Given what we've already got with Poison-202 and now Groove Rider I have full confidence he knows what he's doing.

Ugh. Why is everyone recommending I use BM3!? Makes no sense. Totally different... Like I said before, it's like saying that hardware electribe is a groovebox, but anyone wanting an Octatrack or Analog Four (extra lfos/deeper fx/retrigs etc..) should just use Protools. Nonsense...

Piano roll is just the obvious choice for touchscreen note editing. In a daw. In a step sequencer. Whatever... It's a luxury that hardware grooveboxes don't have and makes no sense to ignore it.. But just my opinion...

And that 'already considering another more sophisticated app after this one' comment just sets off instant alarm bells. This app has potential to be significantly better quite easily..for £20 it wouldn't hurt to expand it a little more than it's current state.. What's to say the next one won't be instantly abandoned or 'settled for', and the one after that.. Just to rake in sales. Why not just finish this one as much as possible?

Reluctant to draw comparison, they're totally different tools/instruments, but look at BM3 in terms of on-going refinement.. That dev is focused and determined to maximise all aspects. A much better approach/attitude imho...

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    I know many wants are being mentioned here - fair enough. Just my opinion to the dev @jimpavloff - love the app as is, and while it’s fair enough to tweak and add this and that here - please know that we don’t all want lots more features or even workflow revisions.

The app really comes into its own because it lacks certain features and simplicity rules over feature count. While some may not understand or desire this approach, many of us do for the following reasons:

1. The limited choices and feature count keep the app accessible without much thought - in other words it becomes quicker to think of what to do without more fluff.
    2. Coming up with workarounds sometimes leads to more creative thinking, that’s why many of us love or loved some of the older hardware that lacked features.
    3. Adding too much then conflicts with using the device to start something and then carry it on in another app - in this vain imports and exports of all kinds are more important than any additional fx or methods of use within the app itself.

This is more of a general voicing of opinion. I’m sure that the dev and most people already realise why some don’t want this app to become something else.

Ugh. Feature additions don't have to destroy or dilute what it already is. At all. Pretty sure every piece of gear I own and every piece of software I have have received updates and not 'become something else'. The things being requested are small details really. No one is asking for a multitrack linear sequencer or a 3 osc 8 voice poly per Part. So much panic over so little!? Quite amusing..

• @jimpavloff said:

@Iostress said:

@Iostress said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Iostress said:

@jimpavloff said:

@skiphunt said:

@InfoCheck said:

@skiphunt said:

@InfoCheck said:

@Mark B said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Iostress said:

Yes, you're right, GR is not capable of recording of 32nd notes. It is a step sequencer (16 steps per bar), so the 16 is not the same thing as 32, as you can see.

So that isn't a pro/con against piano roll then? Not sure why you mentioned it as a reason not to use piano roll if it's an inherent limitation regardless of whatever note edit interface is implemented? Hence my confusion ;)