Skip to content

Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

Comments

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    I know many wants are being mentioned here - fair enough. Just my opinion to the dev @jimpavloff - love the app as is, and while it’s fair enough to tweak and add this and that here - please know that we don’t all want lots more features or even workflow revisions.

The app really comes into its own because it lacks certain features and simplicity rules over feature count. While some may not understand or desire this approach, many of us do for the following reasons:

1. The limited choices and feature count keep the app accessible without much thought - in other words it becomes quicker to think of what to do without more fluff.
    2. Coming up with workarounds sometimes leads to more creative thinking, that’s why many of us love or loved some of the older hardware that lacked features.
    3. Adding too much then conflicts with using the device to start something and then carry it on in another app - in this vain imports and exports of all kinds are more important than any additional fx or methods of use within the app itself.

This is more of a general voicing of opinion. I’m sure that the dev and most people already realise why some don’t want this app to become something else.

+1

• @stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

@dendy said:
    hm those spams from Iostress starting to be really annoying.. i open thread, and from 30 new posts 25 are f iostress murmuring about missing features...

it would be gigantically great to have 8 bars per pattern, but ok, i accept app also with his weak parts, and i use what is there and what is great .. life is full of compromises, perfect app doesn't exit..

I think you'll find that half of my posts are actually responding to people and/or defending the suggestions I made. Or defending the right to even make suggestions/requests.

Forum users here have been making a simple thing like me throwing down some feature requests in to some kind of drama. Totally needless and sadly seems to say a lot about the experience/requirements of people on here.

People are presumptuous. And wrong. I'm still gonna use the app to mess with. I'm not sat home crying about it. Just saying 'oh, these small additions would be sweet and wouldnt interfere with other users unless they also wanted to use them'. No need for people to jump in and defend or exile stuff. Just cos what I would like, they wouldn't. You don't see me jumping in on all the requests that I don't personally need and saying 'oh no, don't do that!'... Maybe it's cos I'm female and I'm not meant to have an opinion on this stuff?

Seems that praise/contentment is easy come by in this forum. Go on some hardware forums and you'll see that people often hope for/require extra features and dont get met by such an uphill struggle just to post a list of what they'd see as improvements/requirements....

There you go, some more spam for you to read, enjoy!

send your detailed needs to the dev via website support g

Is this your forum? Is this your thread? Is this your app? Don't tell me what to do. Nuff other requests/issues and tedium on this thread from other users. Not sure what gives you the right to decide what's relevant and what's not.

You're literally MAKING me spam the thread!?

• @Telengard said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    I know many wants are being mentioned here - fair enough. Just my opinion to the dev @jimpavloff - love the app as is, and while it’s fair enough to tweak and add this and that here - please know that we don’t all want lots more features or even workflow revisions.

The app really comes into its own because it lacks certain features and simplicity rules over feature count. While some may not understand or desire this approach, many of us do for the following reasons:

1. The limited choices and feature count keep the app accessible without much thought - in other words it becomes quicker to think of what to do without more fluff.
    2. Coming up with workarounds sometimes leads to more creative thinking, that’s why many of us love or loved some of the older hardware that lacked features.
    3. Adding too much then conflicts with using the device to start something and then carry it on in another app - in this vain imports and exports of all kinds are more important than any additional fx or methods of use within the app itself.

This is more of a general voicing of opinion. I’m sure that the dev and most people already realise why some don’t want this app to become something else.

+1

+1

• @kobamoto said:
    Lostress you're absolutely right about everything you've said, just not about this app in particular (this dev had a particular vision and that was that).. but unfortunately and more importantly for iOS development in general. I don't think it's ever going to get there...because if it was it probably would have already done so. Especially in the realm of groove boxes.

reasons

because it's important to get music into the hands of people who don't make music on a fervor level something akin to religious fanaticism.

because there are allot of quick buck devs out there creating groove boxes to sell sample packs

because we are still fighting for beyond basic standards like midi, panning, sample import/export, metering, sample ability, etc... if you have to beg for water that means nobody cares if you're hungry.

because because because, it doesn't even matter. I"m tired of my own typing now.

because

I hear ya!

• edited December 2017

@Iostress said:

@stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

@dendy said:
    hm those spams from Iostress starting to be really annoying.. i open thread, and from 30 new posts 25 are f iostress murmuring about missing features...

it would be gigantically great to have 8 bars per pattern, but ok, i accept app also with his weak parts, and i use what is there and what is great .. life is full of compromises, perfect app doesn't exit..

I think you'll find that half of my posts are actually responding to people and/or defending the suggestions I made. Or defending the right to even make suggestions/requests.

Forum users here have been making a simple thing like me throwing down some feature requests in to some kind of drama. Totally needless and sadly seems to say a lot about the experience/requirements of people on here.

People are presumptuous. And wrong. I'm still gonna use the app to mess with. I'm not sat home crying about it. Just saying 'oh, these small additions would be sweet and wouldnt interfere with other users unless they also wanted to use them'. No need for people to jump in and defend or exile stuff. Just cos what I would like, they wouldn't. You don't see me jumping in on all the requests that I don't personally need and saying 'oh no, don't do that!'... Maybe it's cos I'm female and I'm not meant to have an opinion on this stuff?

Seems that praise/contentment is easy come by in this forum. Go on some hardware forums and you'll see that people often hope for/require extra features and dont get met by such an uphill struggle just to post a list of what they'd see as improvements/requirements....

Is this your forum? Is this your thread? Is this your app? Don't tell me what to do. Nuff other requests/issues and tedium on this thread from other users. Not sure what gives you the right to decide what's relevant and what's not.

@lostress hush ya bludclart mouth g - the fact you fool enough to say you spamming gives good reason for mods to ban you- use ya likkle brains dem

• @Iostress said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@Iostress said:

@wim said:
    Damn I am having soooo much fun in this app. I like virtually everything I’ve made in it so far, and I’ve made a lot. B)

For some reason I’m able to dial in just about any synth bass, arp, or lead sounds I hear in my head within minutes. Maybe there are fewer knobs in my brain than I thought. Stuff just comes out. I think I get too distracted by all the bells and whistles in other apps or something.

I just went back through the patterns I’ve made so far, and ended up jamming over them for hours using the MFX and Arp pad. It’s amazing what you can do just by switching out which parts have MFX turned on, then goofing with it. This is probably the only app I could actually imagine myself performing with live.

Thanks, @jimpavloff, you nailed it with this one!

Also, agree with the simplicity of dialling in synth sounds on gr-16. Very quick/intuitive. Kinda reminds me of Op-1's 4 knobs simplicity. Sometimes it's refreshing to not have a full panel of synth params..

OP-1 is a great comparison. This to me is its appeal. This is a tool whose very limitations are inspiring.

Yeah for sure. But you'll also find a TON of feature requests on the op1 forum ;) It's far from perfect in many areas. For instance Step sequencing refinement/an extra lfo/pattern saving..constant requests for this kind of stuff and the list goes on. And it has already received a ton of significant updates since release. Sadly it's limited by its cpu and ui so a bunch of the most often requested features are impossible to add. But on ios this isn't really an issue and refinement is almost potentially unlimited if dev has enthusiasm for it. Sounds like @jimpavloff is already planning the sequel tho ;) Nothing wrong with that I suppose but a shame if that's influential in any non-development decisions with GR-16...

And Teenage Engineering kept it to their simple yet complex design and it is selling like hotcakes. I have had mine for four years and watched it evolve from people seeing it ONLY as a toy to what it is now. I believe if they would have taken everyone's advice it would be wrecked and would lose it's magic.

• @Iostress said:

you're having an extremely important conversation, just in the wrong place /thread. (no it's not my thread or forum, I'm just taking what you're saying seriously... the iOS community really needs to have this larger discussion cause without it I don't think the viability is sustainable.

• edited December 2017

@Telengard said:

And Teenage Engineering kept it to their simple yet complex design and it is selling like hotcakes. I have had mine for four years and watched it evolve from people seeing it ONLY as a toy to what it is now. I believe if they would have taken everyone's advice it would be wrecked and would lose it's magic.

I agree, but not if they would have implemented a chop shop.... zillion people asked for it and it wouldn't have disturbed anyone who didn't use it...... Thats why a larger discussion is needed..... too many people think those features he was talking about are daw features..... and they are not. It's important to make distinctions between common sense feature request, basic standards and a bunch of esoteric feature request that make no sense, support no standards, and would ruin an app or instrument in the way you spoke of the op1 cause there is a huge difference.
    just sayin... the devils not the only one in the details , gods in there too
    I just wished he'd started another thread about the whole issue because it's a serious one.

• @stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

@stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

@dendy said:

hush ya bludclart mouth g -

Is it acceptable to speak to people this way on this forum? Kinda says it all.... Great 'target audience' you got going on here @jimpavloff no wonder I'm struggling to 'fit in'. > @stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

@stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

@dendy said:

@lostress hush ya bludclart mouth g - the fact you fool enough to say you spamming gives good reason for mods to ban you- use ya likke brains dem

@Telengard said:

@Iostress said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@Iostress said:

@wim said:
    Damn I am having soooo much fun in this app. I like virtually everything I’ve made in it so far, and I’ve made a lot. B)

For some reason I’m able to dial in just about any synth bass, arp, or lead sounds I hear in my head within minutes. Maybe there are fewer knobs in my brain than I thought. Stuff just comes out. I think I get too distracted by all the bells and whistles in other apps or something.

I just went back through the patterns I’ve made so far, and ended up jamming over them for hours using the MFX and Arp pad. It’s amazing what you can do just by switching out which parts have MFX turned on, then goofing with it. This is probably the only app I could actually imagine myself performing with live.

Thanks, @jimpavloff, you nailed it with this one!

Also, agree with the simplicity of dialling in synth sounds on gr-16. Very quick/intuitive. Kinda reminds me of Op-1's 4 knobs simplicity. Sometimes it's refreshing to not have a full panel of synth params..

OP-1 is a great comparison. This to me is its appeal. This is a tool whose very limitations are inspiring.

Yeah for sure. But you'll also find a TON of feature requests on the op1 forum ;) It's far from perfect in many areas. For instance Step sequencing refinement/an extra lfo/pattern saving..constant requests for this kind of stuff and the list goes on. And it has already received a ton of significant updates since release. Sadly it's limited by its cpu and ui so a bunch of the most often requested features are impossible to add. But on ios this isn't really an issue and refinement is almost potentially unlimited if dev has enthusiasm for it. Sounds like @jimpavloff is already planning the sequel tho ;) Nothing wrong with that I suppose but a shame if that's influential in any non-development decisions with GR-16...

OG op1 owner here too. Since copping it TE have added new synths, new fx, new sequencers, new lfo features... None of it messed with it 'being an op1'.... The stuff I suggested for gr-16 would make it no less GR-16. End of story...

This forum (and possibly this dev) is a brick wall tho. And kind of intimidating. Laters.....

• edited December 2017

@jimpavloff - there is no current way at all to delete unused or unwanted files from GR .Trash -whether in itunes or files.app or GR - Theres no trash can anywhere - only option is to delete or re install GR

• edited December 2017

@Iostress said:
    This forum (and possibly this dev) is a brick wall tho. And kind of intimidating. Laters.....

You’re leaving? Awwwwwwwww...
    P.S. I recognize you from another forum. Your winning personality shines through.

• @pfrf said:

@Iostress said:

P.S. I recognize you from another forum. Your winning personality shines through.

Yet another considered and progressive contribution to the thread and future of the app. Congratz!

• @pfrf said:

@Iostress said:

bye -

• @pfrf said:

@Iostress said:

bye - > @pfrf said:

@Iostress said:

lostress is lonely..

• @pfrf said:

@Iostress said:

bye - > @pfrf said:

@Iostress said:

lostress is lonely..

• @Iostress said:

@pfrf said:

@Iostress said:

Yet another considered and progressive contribution to the thread and future of the app. Congratz!

Thanks!
    Happy new year!

• edited December 2017

@jimpavloff with ref to my earlier posts regarding file deletion and folder organizing - Iam bit more understanding that it seems to now be ok to add multiple folders within files app - might be a random slight bug/conflict between files app itunes and GR
    I now understand the .Trash in main screen is files.app trash - could be good to rename it as "files app trash" as it was very confusing

• Will keep you posted on any major issues

update /ok - just renamed a folder that GR now cant see after renaming in files.app
    Peace

• edited January 2018

nevermind

• @Iostress said:
    OG op1 owner here too. Since copping it TE have added new synths, new fx, new sequencers, new lfo features... None of it messed with it 'being an op1'.... The stuff I suggested for gr-16 would make it no less GR-16. End of story...

Missed my point again. "End of story" like YOU said something profound... :|

I guess all the rest of us are wrong and you are the ONLY enlightened one.

Anyway, good luck finding what you are looking for. For me it's back to the world I live in and my current favorite app.

• @Telengard said:

@Iostress said:

Anyway, good luck finding what you are looking for. For me it's back to the world I live in and my current favorite app.

agreed @Telengard

• edited December 2017

@jimpavloff ok updating you - seems i can create folders and transfer files in files app which now show in GR
    I think theres a prob in naming folders i.e
    ii tried the following folder naming
    1. storm 12bit drums This didnt show in GR
    2. renamed storm 12bit drums to 12bit drums and it worked and showed in GR
    3. storm loops This worked showed in GR
    4. storm drums This worked as well showed in GR
    I will test folder dragging via itunes for any name of folder conflicts with same folder names I transfered previously in files app. If poss can you test as well
    There is a minor bug somewhere in the coding for folder naming

• @Telengard said:

@Iostress said:

Huh? You said op1 was great because it never got over complicated. Implying that updates potentially = over complication. I said op1 received plenty of quite significant feature updates and 'survived'. And no reason why GR16 couldn't 'survive' some added depth too if they were well considered updates. Not sure where I 'missed your point'? And pretty sure people had plenty of feature requests for electribes before Korg seemingly abandoned them.. Tedious conversation now so let's just agree to disagree.

I'm glad for everyone that's got their dream machine in GR16 and not interested in fielding requests/suggestions. Sadly I don't think it'll hold my attention for long in its current state. We'll see.. A shame that this kind of opinion is met with group bullying and needless defensiveness in here.

By the way its not just me feeling this way about it. Look outside of this little ios bubble forum and you'll find plenty of semi-underwhelmed reactions to gr16. It's just a little too shallow to be 'best option' for some people that have other alternatives. For shows or studio at least. As a portable ideas and loops scratch pad tho. Yeah, great app. But ambition is good... So why stop there??

Sorry things got weird. Won't post again. End of spam transmissions! Peace and Happy New Year!

• @skiphunt said:

@InfoCheck said:

@skiphunt said:

@InfoCheck said:

@Mark B said:
    The only limitation is that you can’t manually edit which slice plays, only the pitch - unless I’m missing something. You have to play the slices in live.

You can delete notes too and then overdub live what you’ve recorded already. Swapping one sliced sample for another via copy paste methods works especially if they have the same number of slices. It would be nice if @jimpavloff came up with a more straight forward way to do step editing of sliced samples. Read the revised manual which was very good.

The only issue I’ve run across is import/export of patterns and samples that were in user sub folders, when the pattern is imported, Groove Rider can’t reconnect the samples with the pattern. Manually loading the samples into the pattern restores its functionality.

I haven’t read the updated manual yet. The previous one was good after I got the hang of the interface idiosyncrasies. It sounds like you’re able to do what I’m asking about if I’m reading you correctly. Will visit the updated manual to see if I can sort it out from there. Thx

To record slices after you’ve set them up, hit the slice button after you’ve selected the pad with the original sample on it in trigger mode. Each of the 16 pads will contain a slice. If you have less than 16 slices, those pads beyond the less than 16 will each have the full sample rather than slices. To add notes with the step editor you follow the same procedure as for regular samples on a part except you can’t change which slice is playing in the step editor though you can add more voices (notes) or chords via the keys and chord buttons as it talks about in the manual.

I don’t think we’re on the same page. I’m aware of how the slicing works and that you can record them. I’m asking about something different.

First off, it’s not that important that I be able to do what I’m asking about. I was originally just asking if what I wanted to do was possible. Let me try to describe it again.

I select a sample I’ve imported. I select slice twice so that I’m editing each of the 16 slices. For simplicity in the description, let’s say I’m only interested in the first 3 slices. 1-3.

Ok, I’ve edited slice 1 to be a sliver at the beginning of the sample and pitched it up. Slice 2 is a wider slice of the middle and pitched down. Slice 3 is a sliver from the back end and also pitched higher.

Now, I’ve got 3 edited slices of my sample. I want to select sample 2, go into sequence mode, and make a sequence, not record one. Now my first sequence is playing using only my edited slice 2. Now, I want to select edited slice 3 and create another sequence as if slice 3 is an independent part. I tap out a sequence, then do the same for slice 1.

Now, I’ve got 3 sequences playing and each part is using either edited slice 1, 2, or 3 as its part. But, I want to change my sequence that’s using edited slice 2. I don’t want to overdub or re-record. I just want to change the sequence using edited slice 2 as it’s “part”.

From everything I’ve read thus far, it does not sound like this is possible at the moment. The last suggestion wim made regarding this would accomplish being able to do this, but to be clear, it’s not important that it be possible. I too am ok with the way it is now.

So, after reading this, do you still think exactly what I’m describing is currently possible? If so, I’ll take a good look at the revised manual and sort it out. If this is not possible right now, that’s ok and I won’t bother with it any more for the time being.

No, you can not record sample slices using sequence mode, you can only record a sequence in live mode for sample slices. You can edit the parameters of recorded sample slices in the step editor and add voices or chords.

• edited December 2017

@InfoCheck said:

@skiphunt said:

@InfoCheck said:

@skiphunt said:

@InfoCheck said:

@Mark B said:
    The only limitation is that you can’t manually edit which slice plays, only the pitch - unless I’m missing something. You have to play the slices in live.

You can delete notes too and then overdub live what you’ve recorded already. Swapping one sliced sample for another via copy paste methods works especially if they have the same number of slices. It would be nice if @jimpavloff came up with a more straight forward way to do step editing of sliced samples. Read the revised manual which was very good.

The only issue I’ve run across is import/export of patterns and samples that were in user sub folders, when the pattern is imported, Groove Rider can’t reconnect the samples with the pattern. Manually loading the samples into the pattern restores its functionality.

I haven’t read the updated manual yet. The previous one was good after I got the hang of the interface idiosyncrasies. It sounds like you’re able to do what I’m asking about if I’m reading you correctly. Will visit the updated manual to see if I can sort it out from there. Thx

To record slices after you’ve set them up, hit the slice button after you’ve selected the pad with the original sample on it in trigger mode. Each of the 16 pads will contain a slice. If you have less than 16 slices, those pads beyond the less than 16 will each have the full sample rather than slices. To add notes with the step editor you follow the same procedure as for regular samples on a part except you can’t change which slice is playing in the step editor though you can add more voices (notes) or chords via the keys and chord buttons as it talks about in the manual.

I don’t think we’re on the same page. I’m aware of how the slicing works and that you can record them. I’m asking about something different.

First off, it’s not that important that I be able to do what I’m asking about. I was originally just asking if what I wanted to do was possible. Let me try to describe it again.

I select a sample I’ve imported. I select slice twice so that I’m editing each of the 16 slices. For simplicity in the description, let’s say I’m only interested in the first 3 slices. 1-3.

Ok, I’ve edited slice 1 to be a sliver at the beginning of the sample and pitched it up. Slice 2 is a wider slice of the middle and pitched down. Slice 3 is a sliver from the back end and also pitched higher.

Now, I’ve got 3 edited slices of my sample. I want to select sample 2, go into sequence mode, and make a sequence, not record one. Now my first sequence is playing using only my edited slice 2. Now, I want to select edited slice 3 and create another sequence as if slice 3 is an independent part. I tap out a sequence, then do the same for slice 1.

Now, I’ve got 3 sequences playing and each part is using either edited slice 1, 2, or 3 as its part. But, I want to change my sequence that’s using edited slice 2. I don’t want to overdub or re-record. I just want to change the sequence using edited slice 2 as it’s “part”.

From everything I’ve read thus far, it does not sound like this is possible at the moment. The last suggestion wim made regarding this would accomplish being able to do this, but to be clear, it’s not important that it be possible. I too am ok with the way it is now.

So, after reading this, do you still think exactly what I’m describing is currently possible? If so, I’ll take a good look at the revised manual and sort it out. If this is not possible right now, that’s ok and I won’t bother with it any more for the time being.

No, you can not record sample slices using sequence mode, you can only record a sequence in live mode for sample slices. You can edit the parameters of recorded sample slices in the step editor and add voices or chords.

You could maybe p-lock sample start point per step if don't want to use live rec/slice mode? Not totally sure it'll do what you want tho and maybe hassle to reprogram. Possibly useful workaround for future tho if don't want to live rec slices.

• @Iostress said:

@InfoCheck said:

@skiphunt said:

@InfoCheck said:

@skiphunt said:

@InfoCheck said:

@Mark B said:

You could maybe p-lock sample start point per step if don't want to use live rec/slice mode? Not totally sure it'll do what you want tho and maybe hassle to reprogram. Possibly useful workaround for future tho if don't want to live rec slices.

As I told before, Slice editing will be improved in the update. But currently - yes, only using Record.

• @Iostress said:
    I'm glad for everyone that's got their dream machine in GR16 and not interested in fielding requests/suggestions. Sadly I don't think it'll hold my attention for long in its current state. We'll see.. A shame that this kind of opinion is met with group bullying and needless defensiveness in here.

By the way its not just me feeling this way about it. Look outside of this little ios bubble forum and you'll find plenty of semi-underwhelmed reactions to gr16. It's just a little too shallow to be 'best option' for some people that have other alternatives. For shows or studio at least. As a portable ideas and loops scratch pad tho. Yeah, great app. But ambition is good... So why stop there??

Sorry things got weird. Won't post again. End of spam transmissions! Peace and Happy New Year!

You missed the point again...

To me, the only reason you are getting a negative reactions is because you seem to be "looking down your nose" at people and seem to read stuff into what they say as a personal attack on you.

You say stuff like: "Look outside of this little iOS bubble forum". That is like saying to some people: "You don't know what you are talking about."

You seem smart enough to see that, right?

Anyway, that is the last post about this from me. And last post to you unless I can help with something or I want to +1 one of your suggestions or comments.

Good luck.

• @stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff ok updating you - seems i can create folders and transfer files in files app which now show in GR
    I will test folder dragging via itunes for any name of folder conflicts with same folder names I transfered previously in files app. If poss can you test as well

1) Sample folder name must be less than 14 characters.
    2) .Trash folder, which you currently see, is internal system folder of iOS. It is invisible under Files.app. And must be invisible under GR also, when I'll fix that in the update. My fault, I was willing to release a quick update, so I did not see the .Trash folder at the first sight.

• @jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

2) .Trash folder, which you currently see, is internal system folder of iOS. It is invisible under Files.app. And must be invisible under GR also, when I'll fix that in the update. My fault, I was willing to release a quick update, so I did not see the .Trash folder at the first sight.

@jimpavloff ok thanks for info - now I understand was driving me crazy - :-)
    is it 14 character for sample name too?

• @jimpavloff said:

@Iostress said:

@InfoCheck said:

@skiphunt said:

@InfoCheck said:

@skiphunt said:

@InfoCheck said:

@Mark B said:

As I told before, Slice editing will be improved in the update. But currently - yes, only using Record.

@jimpavloff thank you for taking the time to make improvements to the slice editing. I enjoy the app in its current form and would also welcome a new app with more functionality/features from you in the future. Many thanks for not breaking the current step based workflow in Groove Rider as you go forward with the development of the app.

• @stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff ok thanks for info - now I understand was driving me crazy - :-)
    is it 14 character for sample name too?

No, sample name is unlimited in length.. At least it should be)