Skip to content

Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

Comments

• @stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

@stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

@stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff I posted but hasn't come through so apologies in advance if my previous post appears -
    Was suggesting a Master Channel Aggresive character style compressor with a vinyl simulation sound like the Roland SP303/404 - Would sound good with the sound I get from GR16
    Thanks for thinking about the multiple solo suggestion I posted.

+1000. The OG 404 vinyl-sim comp (including the same params for warble and vinyl crackles volume) would be dope on master bus. Every app should have this! ;)

@lostress @jimpavloff yep. that and a simple stereo widener will make mono signals into stereo and can then do the Hass Left or Right millisecond delay trick
    Check out the zMORS eq it has this in the delay section a simple slider where can delay left or right channel in small buffer sizes

Yeh both a widener/spatial thing (and also a spring reverb (or any reverb ;) added to insert fx would be great :)

@lostress yep less is more those 3 fundamental effects and the rest will be my brain effects haha - dude I come from the day in the 80's where we had to do pause tape recording just to get a loop - google it - this ios etc is a luxury believe me

@lostress Dj Marley Marl the best ever hiphop producer made all big daddy kane albums on a 4 track - check his shizz out - unbeatable - and lets not forget the Beatles first album done on four track

• @Iostress said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

@stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff I posted but hasn't come through so apologies in advance if my previous post appears -
    Was suggesting a Master Channel Aggresive character style compressor with a vinyl simulation sound like the Roland SP303/404 - Would sound good with the sound I get from GR16

+1000. The OG 404 vinyl-sim comp (including the same params for warble and vinyl crackles volume) would be dope on master bus. Every app should have this! ;)

@lostress @jimpavloff yep. that and a simple stereo widener will make mono signals into stereo and can then do the HaaS Left or Right millisecond delay trick
    Check out the zMORS eq it has this in the delay section a simple slider where you can delay left or right channel in small buffer sizes

@lostress @jimpavloff these two additions Master Compressor and Stereo widener and a Master Eq and I can do everything in GR no sweat - A full mix - the resapmle feature as @samu said is more or less there already when you export the audio it actually appears in GR export window ready to re drag the resample back onto a pad without having to leave GR Very cool though a dedicated re sample page in the main screen would be even better .

The same Stereo widener added to insert fx on Parts would be useful too ;)

Yeh, also hoping a dedicated resample process turns up some point, but that sounds useable for now.

Cool you sound more chilled out now - good g - enjoy the less is more approach - using your talent more than the equipement - peace be a Master.

• @stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

@stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

@stormbeats said:

@lostress @jimpavloff yep. that and a simple stereo widener will make mono signals into stereo and can then do the Hass Left or Right millisecond delay trick
    Check out the zMORS eq it has this in the delay section a simple slider where can delay left or right channel in small buffer sizes

Yeh both a widener/spatial thing (and also a spring reverb (or any reverb ;) added to insert fx would be great :)

@lostress yep less is more those 3 fundamental effects and the rest will be my brain effects haha - dude I come from the day in the 80's where we had to do pause tape recording just to get a loop - google it - this ios etc is a luxury believe me

Yeh can fake a ton of fx with what's already there and automation and resample, all good in that dept ;)

Haha, yeh I've served my time too with ghetto cheap hifi stereo vinyl/twin cassette deck mix tapes and making cassette/r2r tape loops, still do sometimes ;)

• @stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

@stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

@stormbeats said:

@lostress Dj Marley Marl the best ever hiphop producer made all big daddy kane albums on a 4 track - check his shizz out - unbeatable - and lets not forget the Beatles first album done on four track

Haha, My first multitrack was a porta 02 ;) 20 yrs ago :/

• @Iostress said:

@stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

@stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

@stormbeats said:

Yeh can fake a ton of fx with what's already there and automation and resample, all good in that dept ;)

Haha, yeh I've served my time too with ghetto cheap hifi stereo vinyl/twin cassette deck mix tapes and making cassette/r2r tape loops, still do sometimes ;)

@lostress "and you know this maaaan!!! cool - Master the equipement we have - keep chilled

• @Iostress said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

@stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

@stormbeats said:

@lostress i had the four track porta - skilllzzzzz

• @stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

@stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

@stormbeats said:

@lostress the porta and when gemini brought out the mixer with the 3 second sampling - that was my learning into resampling using what i had - i wish i had those raw beatz now -

• @lostress and my combo was porta with gemini mixer with 2second sample button - now lets talk about raw resampling - the beatz were raw and look now plugins re emulating the basics - knowledge is key

• @stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

@stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

@stormbeats said:

Yeh man, I still use a porta 02 sometimes! Love the sound...And I'm getting old/sentimental ;)

• @lostress this is why I prefer ios the challenge using whats there - limitations here and there GR is the perfect app for this - its new and I have faith @jimpavloff will add option to sample direct with soundcard etc and inter app audio sampling - the way he has coded this I can tell he comes from the same schooling - big respect he is on point.

• @stormbeats said:

@Munibeast said:
    I think the recommended way to use samples with GR is to only copy samples in that you are really sure you’re going to use inside the app instead of just dumping 40GB of material in there. I would suggest to keep those in BM3 or AudioShare or something like that.

why? because sample length/file browser restriction?

If I understand what @jimpavloff has been saying about his Groove Rider app, it’s a database of sorts with a set number of banks. Once a sound is used in a pattern it goes into the app itself and doesn’t rely or isn’t linked to wherever it was imported from. All of the folders in the Groove Rider user documents folder are there to get your samples into the Groove Rider database.

I can also see how people who sample a lot would really want to have quick easy access to be able to pick and choose from their collection of samples and would want the app to support this in a way that allows them to organize those samples how they’d like rather than being limited to a non-nested folder system. At this point, the app doesn’t seem setup in a way to easily do that as you have the list of folders in the app and the more folders you have and/or the more samples you have in the Groove Rider user folder, the more cumbersome it will be to scroll through long lists of folders or samples within the Groove Rider app itself.

Until and if this should change with Groove Rider, it might be easier to limit the samples within the Groove Rider user folder to those samples you’re interested in using for a particular project so you won’t have to scroll forever inside Groove Rider to setup parts and patterns. Once again, it’s my observation that the development of the app has closely followed the Electribe 2 or Volca Sample (to the best of my limited knowledge) as there is also a limit to the number of samples you can store in the hardware model at any given time.

Since you can export/import whole banks into Groove Rider, this would seem analogous to loading/unloading different sets of samples in the Korg hardware groove boxes. While in software you don’t have the limitations of the hardware, it has been emulated in a database sort of way where the app allows you to manipulate the existing and user added samples, parts, patterns, etc. . . . in much the same way you would use a database to access a collection of information.

Similarly, an analogy of traditional track based DAWs is like a spreadsheet might be appropriate. You can always add new rows and columns to the spreadsheet.

In contrast, this database is a fixed set of parameters with a limited number of slots for each parameter. When the slots are filled, you need to replace items in the database if you’d like to do different things. It’s a closed system with access via a bottle neck of the app’s parameter/data structure whereas a traditional track based DAW or BM3 is open and you can keep bringing more new data into it.

Since the app’s GUI and database structure are all linked together, there are limits to what sorts of changes and functionality or how they can be added to the app without being backward compatible with the version of the app as released or the work that a user has put into the app. For example, their patterns, parts, ... won’t play or won’t play the way they did when the user created them.

@jimpavloff I hope I haven’t gone too far astray with my descriptions of your app, though please edify us if I’ve misrepresented anything.

• @lostress @jimpavloff think about the sample time limitation i like it and hope it stays the same or even 10seconds only will hae to do the good old trick of speeding up sample when sampling live into GR - does emu sp1200 come to mind - this dev wants people to make beatz again not over spoilt weak production - use the mind - more than the software options-
    The challenge is infinite.

• @stormbeats said:
    @lostress @jimpavloff think about the sample time limitation i like it and hope it stays the same or even 10seconds only will hae to do the good old trick of speeding up sample when sampling live into GR - does emu sp1200 come to mind - this dev wants people to make beatz again not over spoilt weak production - use the mind - more than the software options-
    The challenge is infinite.

"have

• @InfoCheck said:

@stormbeats said:

@Munibeast said:
    I think the recommended way to use samples with GR is to only copy samples in that you are really sure you’re going to use inside the app instead of just dumping 40GB of material in there. I would suggest to keep those in BM3 or AudioShare or something like that.

If I understand what @jimpavloff has been saying about his Groove Rider app, it’s a database of sorts with a set number of banks. Once a sound is used in a pattern it goes into the app itself and doesn’t rely or isn’t linked to wherever it was imported from. All of the folders in the Groove Rider user documents folder are there to get your samples into the Groove Rider database.

I can also see how people who sample a lot would really want to have quick easy access to be able to pick and choose from their collection of samples and would want the app to support this in a way that allows them to organize those samples how they’d like rather than being limited to a non-nested folder system. At this point, the app doesn’t seem setup in a way to easily do that as you have the list of folders in the app and the more folders you have and/or the more samples you have in the Groove Rider user folder, the more cumbersome it will be to scroll through long lists of folders or samples within the Groove Rider app itself.

Until and if this should change with Groove Rider, it might be easier to limit the samples within the Groove Rider user folder to those samples you’re interested in using for a particular project so you won’t have to scroll forever inside Groove Rider to setup parts and patterns. Once again, it’s my observation that the development of the app has closely followed the Electribe 2 or Volca Sample (to the best of my limited knowledge) as there is also a limit to the number of samples you can store in the hardware model at any given time.

Since you can export/import whole banks into Groove Rider, this would seem analogous to loading/unloading different sets of samples in the Korg hardware groove boxes. While in software you don’t have the limitations of the hardware, it has been emulated in a database sort of way where the app allows you to manipulate the existing and user added samples, parts, patterns, etc. . . . in much the same way you would use a database to access a collection of information.

Similarly, an analogy of traditional track based DAWs is like a spreadsheet might be appropriate. You can always add new rows and columns to the spreadsheet.

In contrast, this database is a fixed set of parameters with a limited number of slots for each parameter. When the slots are filled, you need to replace items in the database if you’d like to do different things. It’s a closed system with access via a bottle neck of the app’s parameter/data structure whereas a traditional track based DAW or BM3 is open and you can keep bringing more new data into it.

Since the app’s GUI and database structure are all linked together, there are limits to what sorts of changes and functionality or how they can be added to the app without being backward compatible with the version of the app as released or the work that a user has put into the app. For example, their patterns, parts, ... won’t play or won’t play the way they did when the user created them.

@jimpavloff I hope I haven’t gone too far astray with my descriptions of your app, though please edify us if I’ve misrepresented anything.

@info check - thats cool but hey just create loads of folders - @jimpavloff he made this available in version 1.1.2 -
    peace

• @stormbeats said:

@InfoCheck said:

@stormbeats said:

@Munibeast said:

@info check - thats cool but hey just create loads of folders - @jimpavloff he made this available in version 1.1.2 -
    peace

@InfoCheck maybe because the samling time limit could cause conflicts - that i valid - i hope he implements live sampling and interapp sampling like impc pro and beatmaker3 then you can monitor your sample time duration as you sample

• @stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@InfoCheck said:

@stormbeats said:

@Munibeast said:

peace

@InfoCheck maybe because the samling time limit could cause conflicts - that i valid - i hope he implements live sampling and interapp sampling like impc pro and beatmaker3 then you can monitor your sample time duration as you sample

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@InfoCheck said:

@stormbeats said:

@Munibeast said:

peace

"sampling/typo

• @stormbeats said:

@InfoCheck said:

@stormbeats said:

@Munibeast said:

It’s up to the user how many folders and samples they want to have in the user documents folder. Some may be okay with scrolling through long lists and folders when working inside Groove Rider and others might want to minimize this to increase the speed of using the app and options in between.

• First off all, I really like this app. thank you Jim for creating this brilliant piece of software. It is a blast for performing. I have bought a Digitakt a few months back which I love, but Grooverider is catching up fast.

i don’t know if this suggestion has been done before, but what really would take the app a step further would be the option to assign a pattern to each of the 16 pad. This in combination with the jump function would open up a lot of possibilities. For me Grooverider is the best and most fun music app of 2017,

• @Maarten said:
    First off all, I really like this app. thank you Jim for creating this brilliant piece of software. It is a blast for performing. I have bought a Digitakt a few months back which I love, but Grooverider is catching up fast.

i don’t know if this suggestion has been done before, but what really would take the app a step further would be the option to assign a pattern to each of the 16 pad. This in combination with the jump function would open up a lot of possibilities. For me Grooverider is the best and most fun music app of 2017,

I like this idea too.

• edited January 2018

@Maarten said:
    First off all, I really like this app. thank you Jim for creating this brilliant piece of software. It is a blast for performing. I have bought a Digitakt a few months back which I love, but Grooverider is catching up fast.

Good suggestion. Patterns mode for pads would be nice. Would also be cool to be able to set a pattern length as 1 bar, and use the 1,2,3,4 buttons to switch between 4 x 16 step bars. Either sync'd to switch at end of bar or instant jump. Could use it like a kind of substitute for Fills ;) Maybe "Shift + 1,2,3,4" to switch to that bar. And gated while you keep finger on it + double tap to permanent switch to the alt bar.

• @jimpavloff I would assume that copying patterns doesn't copy the sample correct? This was an issue I had with IMPC Pro 1. There was no way if knowing which samples were linked and which ones were duplicated when the same imported sample was used in different banks and that was the beginning of the end for me there.

I've also got a question about pattern exporting and importing. Right now we're shy of 300 patterns? If we export out and then import back in, where do the new patterns get put and how would that affect the total number of patterns in the user bank?

@Iostress again if you want a sampler with lots of customisation you should just use BM3. GR16 does something BM3 can't do and that's the pattern building and chaining. Rather than importing everything at once just develop your patterns and import as needed. Just my suggestion.

• Thanks for the recent midi cc implementation @jimpavloff It works really well.
    Are there any plans to add further controls for the rest of the app? It would be great if everything was mapped including the main jogwheel selector. :)

• edited January 2018

A cool performance trick. Select a part with an instrument you want to solo. Engage ARP and SCALE. Switch to JUMP mode. The blank pads have no note data. When you hold down a blank pad, this mutes all the instruments. Now you can play the selected instrument with the touch pad. Let go of the blank pad and hit the first pad to start the pattern from 1 or a different pad to start the pattern anywhere inbetween the start and end. Now all the instruments kick back in. Great fun!

EDIT: not quite the above. I’ve tested it with a pattern that didn,t have a lot of parts. When you have multiple parts, you won’t get the solo effect, but a kind of stutter. Cool either way :)

• @LucidMusicInc said:
    @jimpavloff I would assume that copying patterns doesn't copy the sample correct? This was an issue I had with IMPC Pro 1. There was no way if knowing which samples were linked and which ones were duplicated when the same imported sample was used in different banks and that was the beginning of the end for me there.

Yes, if several patterns use the same one sample, only one copy of this sample is stored in internal cache.

I've also got a question about pattern exporting and importing. Right now we're shy of 300 patterns? If we export out and then import back in, where do the new patterns get put and how would that affect the total number of patterns in the user bank?

You have 256 user patterns. When you export them as a bank, you export all 256 patterns with all the samples used in form of a single .bank.gr16 file. If you import such file back, all current user patterns you have in GR will be deleted (together with current internal sample cache) and will be replaced with a newly loaded 256 user patterns and their used sample cache.

• @jimpavloff and anyone on here - I'am not sure how to save a pattern with parts(sound) making it ready to transfer to another ipad - same goes for chained patterns with parts included - be good to have this updated in a new manual or online video tutorial
    i.e
    etc.
    Thanks to anyone with the know how in advance

• @InfoCheck said:

@stormbeats said:

@Munibeast said:

You have the very close vision of the app.

• @jimpavloff said:

@InfoCheck said:

@stormbeats said:

@Munibeast said:

Given the way this works it would seem that developing a workflow using the Files app would be sensible. That would be your central sample library and the GR folders would be a working storage area that can be wiped once a project is complete. I know everyone is not on iOS 11 but it’s been working fine for me.

• @jimpavloff feature request - save fx presets - especially HOLD settings in MFX HOLD Touchpad - I'am getting some really good settings here -

• edited January 2018

@LucidMusicInc said:
    @jimpavloff I would assume that copying patterns doesn't copy the sample correct? This was an issue I had with IMPC Pro 1. There was no way if knowing which samples were linked and which ones were duplicated when the same imported sample was used in different banks and that was the beginning of the end for me there.

@Iostress again if you want a sampler with lots of customisation you should just use BM3. GR16 does something BM3 can't do and that's the pattern building and chaining. Rather than importing everything at once just develop your patterns and import as needed. Just my suggestion.

Been using BM3 for a while, could set up some kind of template to vaguely mimic GR to some extent but it's very different. Not really understanding why people are saying the two are so interchangeable, like BM3 is a deeper version of GR-16 or something? No p-locks or probability for a start ;)

I don't want a ton of 'customisation' in GR16... I just listed some stuff that would improve it for me personally ;) In time most of the things I said will probably get requested individually by one or two other people after more people buy/use the app, I was just a little over zealous and loud about it :(

FWIW, you 'can' build/chain patterns in BM3 tho, if I understand what you mean correctly? Just make your patterns then use the timeline to chain them? Or live chain them in the patterns menu thing? So I'm not really sure what you were referring to there?

• @anickt said:

@jimpavloff said:

@InfoCheck said:

@stormbeats said:

@Munibeast said:

Given the way this works it would seem that developing a workflow using the Files app would be sensible. That would be your central sample library and the GR folders would be a working storage area that can be wiped once a project is complete. I know everyone is not on iOS 11 but it’s been working fine for me.

Yeah this is how I use it to good effect....just wish I had the ability to make full folders in iCloud Drive available off line like Dropbox but I’m sure they will add this at some point.