Skip to content

Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

Comments

• edited January 2018

OK!

Having worked with the ES1 and ESX from Korg, this is just as intuitive. Kudos!

I have to say that integrating it with my MPC232 was easy enough. Only had to tweak a couple note parameters and change the CCs to get all the pads and sliders triggering away nicely. What is most important using this external gear is velocity sensitivity, and I am happy to report that the "Normal" curve under MIDI setting works best. You can record the velocity sensitivity into the pattern on the fly, and with my sliders and knobs I can record parameter changes quickly and easily.

If you'll take my advice on some MIDI parameters to implement I would be very grateful!

Needed MIDI CC for Toggles/buttons:

SHIFT

UP

DOWN (or a knob for both)

SELECT

TAP TEMPO

RECORD

STOP

PLAY

STEP/NOTE

LEFT/RIGHT STEP ADVANCE

ON/OFF FILTER

Needed MIDI CC for KNOBS:

TEMPO

Some minor glitches:

Changing the FX on/off via MIDI does not change the light indicating if they are on/off.

Your notes for the triggered sounds are off by four notes (between 8 and 9)

And adding features?

FX: Scrub start and stop times on a sample.

Support the developer IAP: 5$ to customize the color of the Grooverider and corresponding LEDs... I'd pay 5$ to change the look of the machine to yellow with orange lights, or whatever. Just sayin...

This is a solid machine. I am very happy about importing samples with folders in the newest update... awesome job!

• edited January 2018

@stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff just want to say the lo pass cutoff filters are excellent and pitch too - best ive heard on ios -

I agree. And modulating the pitch is completely smooth. (I’m talking about pitching the samples.)

• I’m good with the samples being duplicated into each pattern rather than linked to samples in the user folder.

In BM3, for example, I can’t rename a sample or move it for fear of breaking projects and banks. There’s no checking if a sample has been used, and no re referencing of it. I’d love to go back and bring some sanity to it file library, but can’t without breaking stuff. So what do I do? I end up saving the samples with the bank / project. Same thing.

If you’re going to something like that right, you have to do it like blocs wave. It stores a separate reference to the sample, which means you can rename samples without breaking anything. On the other hand, you can’t delete a sample without finding and removing it from every project used.

Just wrapping it up in the pattern is totally fine with me. I don’t care about the duplication vs. the convenience. Besides, let’s say I have 10gb of samples in BM3. So I’m gonna duplicate all 10gb into GR16 for the 10 or 20 samples I might use there some day? There’s no space savings in that approach. If I wanna shoot that pattern over to my phone, am I gong to load all 10gb over there as well?

No thanks. Just bundling it up with the pattern or bank is the right call IMO. AudioShare is my repository, and anything else I need I copy from there is needed.

• edited January 2018

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff How do i transfer a completed track to another ipad ? if can only export a pattern with no sounds?

Is a pattern you have exported to another device sounds different when you press Play button? Are there some sounds missing?

@jimpavloff all sounds missing when i selected Export Pattern- then transfered to my other ipad - the pattern played back fine with correct tempo and effects parameters - in the display says "no sound found"

Can you send me this .pattern.gr16 file for expertise? to jimaudiodsp@gmail.com

@jimpavloff ok give me an hour or 2 and thanks for the input you put in for all us Users really appreciated dude
    peace

@jimpavloff hi Jim pattern file just emailed - if poss can you let me know received

I had similar missing samples with pattern file import. The same pattern file would import successfully when it was loaded into the bank it was exported out of, but had missing samples when imported into a different bank. I’ve sent @jimpavloff a detailed description of my findings.

I would also say that at times the files app can get confused about the status of files and restarting or other sorts of resetting is needed to restore the expected functioning of the file app. Some apps like Google Drive seem to require you to use open in from the Google Drive app to download files stored in Google Drive rather than being able to access them directly from the file app as you’d expect. I can copy files to Google Drive from the files app though.

I also ran into a glitch where a file was in AudioShare but it didn’t show up because I’d just deleted it from the files app. Did a search for the app in the files app and it did find it in the recovery/trash and I was able to successfully recover it. At times none of the files in the AudioShare section of the files app would not show up as expected and the files app was semi-frozen. Restarting the iPad and going back into the files app again and AudioShare files showed up again in the files app. Looks like there are still kinks to work out with the files app yet it’s still been more convenient than not having it and having to drag out the computer to do iTunes or iFunbox file transfers.

• Maybe this has already been covered but is there a way to clear all note/sequencer data in all parts at once or paste all parts of a pattern to an empty one without note/sequencer data?

• A tip - browse AudioShare for a sample and then tap the upload button. One of the choices is to copy to Files app. Assuming you have created the folders you want in the Files app already, you just drop the file into the appropriate folder and access through GR. You have the preview and edit capabilities of AS which are better than accessing AS from within Files and other than creating some folders for GR you really don’t have to bother with Files app.

• Is pattern chaining pretty much the same as in electribe 2? with a special menu option to turn on/off pattern chaining? How do you create pattern chaining ?

• edited January 2018

Had fun session on gr-16 last night. Really like the step automation and probability. Closest thing I've found on ios to using an elektron sequencer. Albeit watered down. But for the price... :)

Still stand by my original feature request list. But can see how it might have upset some people to come storming in and blurt that all out ;)

After some more time with the app here's a refined list of the things I'd really like to see added in an update -

Support for nested folders browsing.

Expandable browser view.

Timestrech on/off for sample so can pitch it melodically without it sounding like a cheap sk-1 (fine for 'that' sound, but very dated in many scenarios). I believe the hardware electribe can do this?

Access to fx params (pleeeeeease!).

A spring reverb added to insert fx.

Multiple Solos.

Individual stems export. Ideally possible to record entire performance jams to export like this. Not only patterns.

Pads 'patterns' mode.

Ability to use the 1,2,3,4 buttons like 'Fill'. For 4 x 16 bar patterns that can be instantly jumped to/from (using the probability etc you can get a LOT of variation out of a 16 bar pattern ;)

When in 'keys' mode, a button to swith between pads or a 2 octave keyboard.

Better import options. I still havent imported samples due to buggyness with Files app etc. Dropbox and other options would be great.

They seem like reasonable requests (hopefully!) that are feasible to add and would really round out this app imo. While still leaving the dev a ton of stuff kept out for his next 'advanced' version.. Gr-16 is OK without this stuff but will always feel like 'ahhh, so close!' to me without at least 'most' of the above.

Thanks for listening and your work @jimpavloff

• edited January 2018

I forgot 'pad latch' ;)

A 'latch' button next to the 'amp eg' button would be great.

• Found a bug -

Load one of the stock drum loops.
    Go to 'Edit controls' in Part menu and choose 'distortion' - dial in decimate etc.
    Go to 'Edit controls' in Part menu and choose 'sample' = Decimate etc stop working.

Hope an easy one to fix @jimpavloff :)

• Another thing...

I know my suggestion for a 2nd params page with extra lfo etc got slated on here and although personally I'd still like to see that expansion with those params... Maybe a compromise would be better than nothing?

Could at least have a 'shortcuts' button added next to mixer. This could switch from the normal params knobs to a bunch of shortcut buttons for stuff that is buried in settings at present. I'm not finding GR16 as fast as people have been making out. In fact overall it kind of balances out with BM3 for speed for me. Cos BM3 has a lot of the GR16 menu-dive stuff to hand on the screen.

Altho fx params really do need to be on the 2nd params page too otherwise you won't be able to step automate them. If they were displayed in the oscilloscope you couldn't access them at the same time as the step automation screen...

• edited January 2018

@Iostress maybe good idea would be create separate own thread "my gr16 requests" and put your essays there..

btw if you request same thing 5x (or more) in separate posts, it will not help move your request on top in jim's todo queue ;) just one time is enough..

• @Iostress said:
    Found a bug -

Go to 'Edit controls' in Part menu and choose 'distortion' - dial in decimate etc.
    Go to 'Edit controls' in Part menu and choose 'sample' = Decimate etc stop working.

That’s not a bug. With distortion the knobs give decimate and boost. With sample they give sample start and end. You either have one or the other.

• Duh... Just realised that Jump does basically what I was requesting for the Fills thing with the 1,2,3,4 buttons.. Need to read the manual properly :/ I'd only used Jump + pad to switch parts. Didn't know it could also switch bars... And beats! Very cool :)

• @dendy said:
    @Iostress maybe good idea would be create separate own thread "my gr16 requests" and put your essays there..

btw if you request same thing 5x (or more) in separate posts, it will not help mive your request on top in jim's todo queue ;) just one time is enough..

Maybe you should learn how to ignore things that don't interest it concern you.

• @Mark B said:

@Iostress said:
    Found a bug -

That’s not a bug. With distortion the knobs give decimate and boost. With sample they give sample start and end. You either have one or the other.

Oh.. Lame :(

• Just discovered only keyboard scale type per pattern, not per part?? Seems very weird restriction for something that people keep saying is primarily a 'synth' groovebox?

Same for arpeggio.. Per pattern, not per part. Very weird restriction...

Did I miss a trick to have scale/arpeggio per part?

Will read manual tonight..

• edited January 2018

in normal music scale is always defined one per all currently playing instruments .. you can have multiple scales in different song phases (or "patterns" to speak in GR16 terminology) (it's called chord progression) but it have not much sense (unsless you are trying to make some disonant weird out of tune experimental music) to play different scales simultaneously - if you try do it, you get high risk (and hight propabily) to get dissonant chords

• @Iostress said:
    Had fun session on gr-16 last night. Really like the step automation and probability. Closest thing I've found on ios to using an elektron sequencer. Albeit watered down. But for the price... :)

Still stand by my original feature request list. But can see how it might have upset some people to come storming in and blurt that all out ;)

After some more time with the app here's a refined list of the things I'd really like to see added in an update -

Support for nested folders browsing.

Expandable browser view.

Timestrech on/off for sample so can pitch it melodically without it sounding like a cheap sk-1 (fine for 'that' sound, but very dated in many scenarios). I believe the hardware electribe can do this?

Access to fx params (pleeeeeease!).

A spring reverb added to insert fx.

Multiple Solos.

Individual stems export. Ideally possible to record entire performance jams to export like this. Not only patterns.

Pads 'patterns' mode.

Ability to use the 1,2,3,4 buttons like 'Fill'. For 4 x 16 bar patterns that can be instantly jumped to/from (using the probability etc you can get a LOT of variation out of a 16 bar pattern ;)

When in 'keys' mode, a button to swith between pads or a 2 octave keyboard.

Better import options. I still havent imported samples due to buggyness with Files app etc. Dropbox and other options would be great.

They seem like reasonable requests (hopefully!) that are feasible to add and would really round out this app imo. While still leaving the dev a ton of stuff kept out for his next 'advanced' version.. Gr-16 is OK without this stuff but will always feel like 'ahhh, so close!' to me without at least 'most' of the above.

Thanks for listening and your work

@lostress @jimpavloff I agree 100% to all the above - I have the same exact list of feature requests

• @dendy said:
    in normal music scale is always defined one per all currently playing instruments .. you can have multiple scales in different song phases (or "patterns" to speak in GR16 terminology) (it's called chord progression) but it have not much sense (unsless you are trying to make some disonant weird out of tune experimental music) to play different scales simultaneously - if you try do it, you get high risk (and hight propabily) to get dissonant chords

Scales also = different rhythm/sounds with slices + arpeggio. And yes, I enjoy dissonance and experimental composition. As well as enjoying the random nature of applying different scales to field recordings + arpeggios. Etc etc. We don't all make only pop music. I actually do make some vaguely 'pop' music occasionally but even then I would find global scale very limiting when it came to experimenting to find particular elements.

My requirements or requests really aren't your concern or something I need to validate with you tho.

• @anickt said:

@stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff is there not an Export Pattern and Sounds ? Meaning Pattern and Sounds saved in one file like a project or project folder?

When you export a pattern (under Utils) samples are included. I deleted and reinstalled GR and all of my patterns came back with samples included. Individual samples in the User folder were deleted however. That was no big deal since each pattern is self-contained. Caustic does that as well. It’s a great feature.

@anickt ok - I've emailed the dev about the no sound after pattern import bug and he has tested a pattern file i emailed to him and has confirmed that there indeed is a bug - being sorted in next update - The reason you had your sounds after re - install is because samples are stored in a sample cache which the dev told me cant be deleted - I gather the cache takes up small storage space - I do hope so.

• @InfoCheck said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff How do i transfer a completed track to another ipad ? if can only export a pattern with no sounds?

Is a pattern you have exported to another device sounds different when you press Play button? Are there some sounds missing?

@jimpavloff all sounds missing when i selected Export Pattern- then transfered to my other ipad - the pattern played back fine with correct tempo and effects parameters - in the display says "no sound found"

@jimpavloff ok give me an hour or 2 and thanks for the input you put in for all us Users really appreciated dude
    peace

@jimpavloff hi Jim pattern file just emailed - if poss can you let me know received

I had similar missing samples with pattern file import. The same pattern file would import successfully when it was loaded into the bank it was exported out of, but had missing samples when imported into a different bank. I’ve sent @jimpavloff a detailed description of my findings.

I would also say that at times the files app can get confused about the status of files and restarting or other sorts of resetting is needed to restore the expected functioning of the file app. Some apps like Google Drive seem to require you to use open in from the Google Drive app to download files stored in Google Drive rather than being able to access them directly from the file app as you’d expect. I can copy files to Google Drive from the files app though.

I also ran into a glitch where a file was in AudioShare but it didn’t show up because I’d just deleted it from the files app. Did a search for the app in the files app and it did find it in the recovery/trash and I was able to successfully recover it. At times none of the files in the AudioShare section of the files app would not show up as expected and the files app was semi-frozen. Restarting the iPad and going back into the files app again and AudioShare files showed up again in the files app. Looks like there are still kinks to work out with the files app yet it’s still been more convenient than not having it and having to drag out the computer to do iTunes or iFunbox file transfers.

@InfoCheck I emailed a file to the dev about no sound in import pattern files and he has found the bug - will be sorted next update

• edited January 2018

you put request, i put response why i think such feature makes not much sense .. that's normal discussion, jim needs feedback from both sides for making decision if implement something or not .. if one user puts request for big red button "make instant hit" and 10 other users wrote "we do not need it because we can do hit on our self" - then jim will know that he don't need implement such button ..

you maybe don't like it but you have deal with fact that if you put some requests in public forum, in public discussion, other people will react to your requests ..

if you not prepared for feedback, then compile you requests to private message and send them directly to jim ;-)

and keep calm ..

• @stormbeats said:

@InfoCheck said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

peace

@InfoCheck I emailed a file to the dev about no sound in import pattern files and he has found the bug - will be sorted next update

@InfoCheck Agree 100% about the files app - Open In / Share to Audioshare is needed.Files App is ok when wants to be - At current GR is relying too much on buggy files app

• @stormbeats said:

@InfoCheck Agree 100% about the files app - Open In / Share to Audioshare is needed.Files App is ok when wants to be - At current GR is relying too much on buggy files app

In the upcoming update you will be able to send wav file to AudioShare after creating it with "Export Pattern Audio" function.

• @jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

In the upcoming update you will be able to send wav file to AudioShare after creating it with "Export Pattern Audio" function.

@jimpavloff that is cool - nice one

• @dendy said:
    you put request, i put response why i think such feature makes not much sense .. that's normal discussion, jim needs feedback from both sides for making decision if implement something or not ..

you maybe don't like it but you have deal with fact that if you put some requests in public forum, in public discussion, other people will react to your requests ..

if you not prepared for feedback, then compile you requests to private message and send them directly to jim ;-)

and keep calm ..

I already PM'd you and said if you want to discuss my behavior, as opposed to talking about the app, then let's do that in private and save the rest of the forum from having to read it.

You assumed to tell me what a chord progression was and make me aware of dissonance...Quite condescending/arrogant no?

And you're saying that you must inform the dev that you don't personally need the feature, why must you say this? Like you hope that other users don't get functions that they would find useful? Just because you personally wouldn't find them useful or interesting?

If you MUST assume so much, then perhaps just assume that I'm not an amateur kid and if I ask for something that is genuinely not there already (admittedly I need to read the manual) then it's because I would have use for it. You don't need to repeatedly step in and enlighten me with basic music theory. Just worry about your own requirements.

• @jimpavloff if poss can you do a detailed test to check all chained patterns will export correctly ready for the User to transfer to other ipads- and thanks again for finding the Pattern Export bug wiith no sound issue I emaled to you quickly. Be good to get that "bug" fix uploaded in an update soon as.
    Peace

• edited January 2018

@stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff if poss can you do a detailed test to check all chained patterns will export correctly ready for the User to transfer to other ipads- and thanks again for finding the Pattern Export bug wiith no sound issue I emaled to you quickly. Be good to get that "bug" fix uploaded in an update soon as.
    Peace

@jimpavloff Maybe good to have an "Export Pattern & Chained Patterns" option for clarity .

• @stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff if poss can you do a detailed test to check all chained patterns will export correctly ready for the User to transfer to other ipads- and thanks again for finding the Pattern Export bug wiith no sound issue I emaled to you quickly. Be good to get that "bug" fix uploaded in an update soon as.
    Peace

Hope this export stuff gets fixed soon. Keep us in the loop.
    Very cool to have the option for iPhone version + controller (how are people finding phone version? Haven't used it yet) and throw patterns across from iPad :)