Skip to content

Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

Comments

• @kobamoto said:
    does groove rider have round robin?

Don't have it in front of me to test but could maybe workaround with lfo on start point if using sample chains? Bit clunky though..

Would be very cool if @jimpavloff could build in some kind of 'create sample chain' feature. Possible already I guess via export/import, not an important request. But having a 'Chain selected Parts' samples to new single wav/Part' would be a great workflow feature for some point in future...

• @jimpavloff would be amazing if could increase the max sample length a little. In terms of being able to use available resources that are free and already exist.

For instance if it was increased to 12 secs then users could make use of the massive amount of free sample chains that the community have built/shared for op-1. Those free drumkits/instruments would be perfect for slicing in GR-16 ;) -

https://op1.fun/packs

• @jimpavloff a couple of shortcuts suggestions that might help reduce need to menu-dive etc -

Shift + Tap = Metronome on/off

Shift + Up/down Arrows = Jump to top/bottom of menu list. Useful for long lists of samples.

Shift + MFX = disable/enable MFX globally. Can't seem to find a way currently to kill the MFX while retaining the 'hold' position, to return to when MFX re-enabled. This would allow that.

Shift + Part < > = cycle sequencer steps to the left/right.

Shift + Arp = Latch arpeggio on.

Shift + Pad/s (in keys mode etc) = Latch sample/note on/off. A dedicated latch button would be ideal but if there's no space to add one..

Thanks for considering!

• Hoping @jimpavloff or anyone can explain the arpeggio behavior to me if get a minute. Can't tell for sure if there's a bug or not.

Sometimes I can press the x/Y pad, without holding any pads, and it plays an arpeggio, like it's stored the most recently played pads in to the x/Y pad. Other times it won't do this. And I need to do the normal thing of 'hold pads + x/y' for an arpeggio to play. I can't figure out what's enabling/disabling this alt behaviour.

I've RTFM now ;) Can't find any info on it there. Bug?

• Hoping someone can enlighten me re best current way for syncing GR16 transport start/stop and bpm from BM3 when using GR16 as IAA. Is it even possible? If so which way is best? Link?

Idiot proof instructions would be heavily appreciated if anyone has a minute :) AUv3 is the main reason I revisited ios and this kind of stuff always put me off in past pre-AUv3, I've never really used Link etc so I have almost zero idea about best method re syncing IAA.

Thanks!

• @Iostress said:

@db909 said:
    This sound engine has more than enough options to get clean, punchy mixes of any genre folks. Turn those dials and experiment.

I struggled with it in this area tbh. On 3 out of the 5 patterns i made in it. No issue with using the synth aspect at all. Limited but shapeable. But using user Samples I run out of options fast. Too much low end build-up.

The filter and insert fx always get used for creative sound design. Which leaves no way of reducing bass on a Part when you need to get surgical.

Samples when used chromatically, and especially when pitched down, can be really problematic for bass freq's in ANY software/hardware, it's not a GR16 issue as such. But most other comparable modern grooveboxes have either an EQ per part, or a 2nd filter or 2nd fx slot per part, which can be used to get some separation/headroom back..

These are the kind of problems I imagined I'd hit when I was writing that long list FR list early on. If a 2nd filter or Insert FX is out the question, then a basic eq or HP filter per channel on the mixer would make a HUGE difference in GR16..

Hoping a solution can be added at some point please @jimpavloff

I agree 100% needs more fx options@jimpavloff

• @Iostress said:
    @jimpavloff would be amazing if could increase the max sample length a little. In terms of being able to use available resources that are free and already exist.

For instance if it was increased to 12 secs then users could make use of the massive amount of free sample chains that the community have built/shared for op-1. Those free drumkits/instruments would be perfect for slicing in GR-16 ;) -

yo - the sample length is 16sec - are you still using version1.0 its been increased to 16sec

• @Iostress said:
    Hoping someone can enlighten me re best current way for syncing GR16 transport start/stop and bpm from BM3 when using GR16 as IAA. Is it even possible? If so which way is best? Link?

Idiot proof instructions would be heavily appreciated if anyone has a minute :) AUv3 is the main reason I revisited ios and this kind of stuff always put me off in past pre-AUv3, I've never really used Link etc so I have almost zero idea about best method re syncing IAA.

Thanks!

@jimpavloff @lostress -i had tempo problems syncing GR to Cubasis - I set tempo of GR&Cubasis to match tried different speeds and both kept locking to 120bpm also happened with Audiobus no matter what tempo I set in GR once I connected to other apps GR would play at around 120bpm or even faster

• @stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:
    @jimpavloff would be amazing if could increase the max sample length a little. In terms of being able to use available resources that are free and already exist.

yo - the sample length is 16sec - are you still using version1.0 its been increased to 16sec

Thanks for info. Sweet! Didn't catch that in the release notes. Good times :) You should check those op1 sample chains dude. All free and all mono :)

• @Iostress said:
    Hoping @jimpavloff or anyone can explain the arpeggio behavior to me if get a minute. Can't tell for sure if there's a bug or not.

Sometimes I can press the x/Y pad, without holding any pads, and it plays an arpeggio, like it's stored the most recently played pads in to the x/Y pad. Other times it won't do this. And I need to do the normal thing of 'hold pads + x/y' for an arpeggio to play. I can't figure out what's enabling/disabling this alt behaviour.

To use ARPEG mode: hold the TouchPad, while playing the pads. They will be played thru arp's gate while they are being held. You can store currently held pads state by releasing the TouchPad before the Pads are released. Then you can just tap TouchPad without touching the pads to recall that state at any time you want, and they will play. If you release the TouchPad after the Pads are released, an empty state will be stored, so it won't play any pads when you'll try to tap the TouchPad again.

• @stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:
    Hoping someone can enlighten me re best current way for syncing GR16 transport start/stop and bpm from BM3 when using GR16 as IAA. Is it even possible? If so which way is best? Link?

Thanks!

@jimpavloff @lostress -i had tempo problems syncing GR to Cubasis - I set tempo of GR&Cubasis to match tried different speeds and both kept locking to 120bpm also happened with Audiobus no matter what tempo I set in GR once I connected to other apps GR would play at around 120bpm or even faster

They both locked ok transport wise hitting "play" didnt try rewind etc I gave up after the tempo issues

• @jimpavloff said:

@Iostress said:
    Hoping @jimpavloff or anyone can explain the arpeggio behavior to me if get a minute. Can't tell for sure if there's a bug or not.

To use ARPEG mode: hold the TouchPad, while playing the pads. They will be played thru arp's gate while they are being held. You can store currently held pads state by releasing the TouchPad before the Pads are released. Then you can just tap TouchPad without touching the pads to recall that state at any time you want, and they will play. If you release the TouchPad after the Pads are released, an empty state will be stored, so it won't play any pads when you'll try to tap the TouchPad again.

Excellent! Thanks for explaining :)

• @Iostress said:

@stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

Thanks for info. Sweet! Didn't catch that in the release notes. Good times :) You should check those op1 sample chains dude. All free and all mono :)

sample chains?

• @stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

@stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

sample chains?

Like a drum kit or multisampled instrument that has been sampled to one wav file. With all the separate drum parts/notes/chords placed one after the other. Then you can slice them and play like a drumkit or an instrument in one Part in GR16. Octatrack and Op1 both rely pretty heavily on them for certain capabilities/possibilities. Well worth checking out ;)

• @jimpavloff said:

@Iostress said:

Ok.. I think I got it.. but a little 1-2 min video can be so helpful.

• @stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

Thanks!

They both locked ok transport wise hitting "play" didnt try rewind etc I gave up after the tempo issues

:( would really like to get GR16 sync'd to BM3 transport and bpm. Will have a proper look at it when get a chance.

• @rs2000 said:

@RUST( i )K said:
    Use the free A/C Sabre app to connect any bluetooth devices

Thanks for the tipp, but this app requires iOS10, so it's no option for me.

Try midimittr..

• @Jes said:

@rs2000 said:

@RUST( i )K said:
    Use the free A/C Sabre app to connect any bluetooth devices

Thanks for the tipp, but this app requires iOS10, so it's no option for me.

Try midimittr..

I had problems connecting nanokey studio to iphone last night. The Korg app sorted it straight away.

Didn't need to use the korg app on iPad. Just needed to manually connect in ios settings.

Don't know if any of that means anything or helps OP....

• There's no midi-learn atm right? Would love to see this added if/when possible...

• @Iostress said:
    There's no midi-learn atm right? Would love to see this added if/when possible...

Midi Learn is planned for next updates.

• @jimpavloff said:

@Iostress said:
    There's no midi-learn atm right? Would love to see this added if/when possible...

Midi Learn is planned for next updates.

Great news :)

• @Iostress said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

Thanks!

:( would really like to get GR16 sync'd to BM3 transport and bpm. Will have a proper look at it when get a chance.

@lostress if you work out the sync probs let me know if poss - thanks in advance

• @wim said:

@Iostress said:

@wim said:

@Iostress said:
    +1. Option for auto audition when browsing down the samples with the up/down arrow. Would feel a lot less 'clicky' than having to hit a pad after highlighting each sample.

That would be horrible for playing live or even for not going nuts. Maybe when "Stop" is engaged, but still I think I'd hate it.

Maybe you missed the word 'option' ;)

'Auto audition' option is pretty standard I thought?

Indeed - I did miss the word "option". Fair enough.

But still feels like feature bloat to me.

I think I just need to tune out of this thread. There's this app that I think is the perfect trade off of simplicity and features, and then there's this dizzying thread that feels like the brainstorming session for the design of the space shuttle. I don't want to keep raining on everyone's parade as they burst out with creative ideas. I'm gonna leave y'all in peace and trust that Mr. @jimpavloff will continue to nail that balance.

Bye yall! Have a great time! <3o:)

@wim - there I must agree 100%!

There’s a person in this thread that have posted almost 150 replies alone... Hmmm...
    Yeah, Groove Rider is fantastic, but, it’s a softwaregroove machine, and not as you said; a spaceshuttle... :-)

• @Iostress said:

@stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

You should check those op1 sample chains dude. All free and all mono :)

sample chains?

Like a drum kit or multisampled instrument that has been sampled to one wav file. With all the separate drum parts/notes/chords placed one after the other. Then you can slice them and play like a drumkit or an instrument in one Part in GR16. Octatrack and Op1 both rely pretty heavily on them for certain capabilities/possibilities. Well worth checking out ;)

These should also be good in Egoist or ReSlice

• edited January 2018

@ErrkaPetti said:

@wim said:

@Iostress said:

@wim said:

@Iostress said:
    +1. Option for auto audition when browsing down the samples with the up/down arrow. Would feel a lot less 'clicky' than having to hit a pad after highlighting each sample.

That would be horrible for playing live or even for not going nuts. Maybe when "Stop" is engaged, but still I think I'd hate it.

I think I just need to tune out of this thread. There's this app that I think is the perfect trade off of simplicity and features, and then there's this dizzying thread that feels like the brainstorming session for the design of the space shuttle. I don't want to keep raining on everyone's parade as they burst out with creative ideas. I'm gonna leave y'all in peace and trust that Mr. @jimpavloff will continue to nail that balance.

There’s a person in this thread that have posted almost 150 replies alone... Hmmm...
    Yeah, Groove Rider is fantastic, but, it’s a softwaregroove machine, and not as you said; a spaceshuttle... :-)

@wim did you really take time to count replies - and if they were "replies" there must have been questions - all good though it has become the next NASA project to Mars.

• edited January 2018

Deleted

• @gsm909 said:

@Iostress said:

@stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

sample chains?

@lostress cheers not for me though I'am a breaks and obscure sample head -peace

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@wim said:

@Iostress said:

@wim said:

@Iostress said:

And there was me thinking we'd moved past this :(

• @stormbeats said:

@gsm909 said:

@Iostress said:

@stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

sample chains?

@lostress
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BP1_1DpeBE

• edited January 2018

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@gsm909 said:

@Iostress said:

@stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

sample chains?

@lostress
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BP1_1DpeBE

I've never used any of the drumkits (tho a lot of chopped breaks in there...) but some of the instruments are worth copping ;)

Edit - just realised that GR16 won't fill the gaps for missing notes in the op1 multisampled instruments, so they're maybe not so useful afterall..

Pretty sure a bunch of people would find use for some of the drumkits tho and some nice oberheim etc single note samples that would work OK in GR16.