Skip to content

Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

Comments

• @stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff - Definitely no rush but if at some stage we can have number paramaters on all faders in the Mixer including the Master Fader - usefull when mixing volumes between the patterns - I changed the Master Volume on a pattern and can't remember the exact volume to match the other patterns - no rush though .
    And if poss can you bring bk the option to import patterns within the GR16 Utils.

The Master fader level is shown in the “Patterns” menu. All the other faders are the same as the pads Level knob which can be tapped to show the value.

• @db909 said:
    If we keep adding all these numbers, we’re gonna need an option to turn them off. For some of us, the less visual information cluttering the screen, the better. And I trust my ears

@stormbeats
    As for now, you can see the master level number in the Pattern parameters menu.

• @stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff - Definitely no rush but if at some stage we can have number paramaters on all faders in the Mixer including the Master Fader - usefull when mixing volumes between the patterns - I changed the Master Volume on a pattern and can't remember the exact volume to match the other patterns - no rush though .
    And if poss can you bring bk the option to import patterns within the GR16 Utils.

Exported pattern and bank files are no longer will be stored inside GR. Store them in any external location, or send via AirDrop.

• @stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff numbers meaning fader volume level displayed.

@db909 said:
    If we keep adding all these numbers, we’re gonna need an option to turn them off. For some of us, the less visual information cluttering the screen, the better. And I trust my ears

@db909 True but with an option even better to implement - though no rush to update - ears are cool but for me if doing many sequences as part of a whole song music producers use mixing desks for this reason - and when you do get an excellent mix can note the volume parameters

• @jimpavloff said:

@db909 said:

@stormbeats
    As for now, you can see the master level number in the Pattern parameters menu.

@jimpavloff - ok yes - cheers for info - if at any time you want to implement "mixer volume levels display" option in settings could be good - I'am happy as it is though.
    In Mixer display there's a lot of space next to the "Grooverider GR16" writing to maybe display the fader levels/send levels and pan as you touch the control knobs and pattern name - very useful when playing back a full chained song so don't have to switch screens - just an idea for future updates not a quick need.

• Hey experts :)
    Is there a way for smooth tempo transition without remembering the next patterns tempo? If I lock the tempo I can change pattern without tempo jump, then I'd like to change it according to the new pattern, but it shows the saved tempo instead of the actual one and altering it leads to tempo jump again.
    Thanks

Btw big thanks Jim, finally a nice performance oriented tool with depth when needed!

• @stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@db909 said:

@db909 True but with an option even better to implement - though no rush to update - ears are cool but for me if doing many sequences as part of a whole song music producers use mixing desks for this reason - and when you do get an excellent mix can note the volume parameters

I totally understand this sentiment, I’m just more of the mind to jam freely and not worry about technical stuff, trusting that I will make good decisions, a process this app has made all the more fun and fluid. And music producers do a lot of stuff, much of which could and can be vastly simplified imo. But yeah.

• @db909 said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@db909 said:

I totally understand this sentiment, I’m just more of the mind to jam freely and not worry about technical stuff, trusting that I will make good decisions, a process this app has made all the more fun and fluid. And music producers do a lot of stuff, much of which could and can be vastly simplified imo. But yeah.

@db909 cool

• @jimpavloff and anyone - has anyone hooked up their midi controls with success - Iam trying to link my AKAI MPC Element to GR?
    Is there midi learn or an option to map the MPC controls or possible to import midi mapping ? the mpc element is triggering GR
    thanks in advance

• People have mentioned being a little disappointed that the sample looping didn’t quite do the expected without there being a way to smooth it out or whatever so I’ll say this. It was dead simple to move hundreds of Animoog timbres into Grooverider with iTunes file sharing and they all worked perfectly. But they’re very short so without a cross fade or however you loop things like that to sustain, they were of limited use. But that’s hundreds and hundreds of ready to go samples that many people already have right there if we could sustain them. But I love this app so much I’m almost ashamed to mention stuff like this anymore.

• I've read through the thread, but suspect I've missed it somewhere. Is there a way to chain segments together to create a whole song? I don't see a song mode for combining the different parts together. It would be absolutely shocking if one couldn't create a complete song with this tool without using some outside app. Help?

• edited January 2018

@Audiojunkie said:
    I've read through the thread, but suspect I've missed it somewhere. Is there a way to chain segments together to create a whole song? I don't see a song mode for combining the different parts together. It would be absolutely shocking if one couldn't create a complete song with this tool without using some outside app. Help?

You can chain patterns together. Turn on chain mode in settings. Then in pattern menu, you can select which pattern to chain the current one to as well as how many times current pattern plays before moving to the chained one and so on. However there is not currently a way to export these chains. So really you might just record it into wherever with audiobus or something while your trigger your preferred patterns in order. They will play completely before moving to the next one so you can just keep selecting them as it records. Bit of a bummer but I’m confident some update will come along. Not gonna stop me from using this thing though

• Thank you for the info! @db909

• @jimpavloff just got the update and it fully lived up to my expectations B) Besides the numerous items mentioned in this megathread, the only ones on my immediate wishlist would be toggling the SHIFT button instead of holding it and a confirmation prompt before a pattern is written, possibly by tapping the WRITE button twice to confirm or tapping write once and tapping the exit button if accidentally tapped. That's it from me until the next update. Cheers!

• @db909 said:
    People have mentioned being a little disappointed that the sample looping didn’t quite do the expected without there being a way to smooth it out or whatever so I’ll say this. It was dead simple to move hundreds of Animoog timbres into Grooverider with iTunes file sharing and they all worked perfectly. But they’re very short so without a cross fade or however you loop things like that to sustain, they were of limited use. But that’s hundreds and hundreds of ready to go samples that many people already have right there if we could sustain them. But I love this app so much I’m almost ashamed to mention stuff like this anymore.

Could you please point me to some download link of the Animoog samples you are talking about. Is there a loop points stored inside each sample? Want to check it out.

• edited January 2018

@jimpavloff said:

@db909 said:
    People have mentioned being a little disappointed that the sample looping didn’t quite do the expected without there being a way to smooth it out or whatever so I’ll say this. It was dead simple to move hundreds of Animoog timbres into Grooverider with iTunes file sharing and they all worked perfectly. But they’re very short so without a cross fade or however you loop things like that to sustain, they were of limited use. But that’s hundreds and hundreds of ready to go samples that many people already have right there if we could sustain them. But I love this app so much I’m almost ashamed to mention stuff like this anymore.

Could you please point me to some download link of the Animoog samples you are talking about. Is there a loop points stored inside each sample? Want to check it out.

Animoog.org has all the custom timbres/samples and detailed instructions on how to create them to work within Animoog. There’s very specific requirements. So that might be good info. Or if you have Animoog you can look at everything in iTunes file sharing or ifunbox or what have you. I don’t know for sure if loop points are stored in there. I just imported the timbres from the factory Acoustic pack.

• @NTKK said:
    I have it running on the old ipad2! Very nice. Can't use IAA, but I can make patterns. Cpu is at 50% constantly, but it revives an old paperweight. Thanks a lot, Jim!

Good to know (and impressive development), will add it onto my second pad also. I use this to sample various apps into my Pro.

• @db909 said:

@jimpavloff said:

@db909 said:

Animoog.org has all the custom timbres/samples and detailed instructions on how to create them to work within Animoog. There’s very specific requirements. So that might be good info. Or if you have Animoog you can look at everything in iTunes file sharing or ifunbox or what have you. I don’t know for sure if loop points are stored in there. I just imported the timbres from the factory Acoustic pack.

My guess is that they are probably single-cycle waveforms (or something similar)—not likely for the sampling use typically expected with a sampler. These are more often used for synths that use single cycle samples as oscillators. But I could be wrong. Animoog uses a form on anisotropic synthesis, similar to wavetable synthesis.

• That said, I would still love sampling capability with looping and crossfades :smiley:

• Awesome update!! I know MIDI learn is coming, so the only thing I would wish for is pretty simple (I hope):

On the electribes you can hold shift + play when switching patterns or on the current pattern to start right away instead of waiting till the end of the pattern to play. It allows for unique changes between patterns or crazy starts of patterns, if that make sense. Basically, hitting shift + play starts the selected pattern or blinking pattern instantly.

• wimwim
    edited January 2018

@Audiojunkie said:

@db909 said:

@jimpavloff said:

@db909 said:

My guess is that they are probably single-cycle waveforms (or something similar)—not likely for the sampling use typically expected with a sampler. These are more often used for synths that use single cycle samples as oscillators. But I could be wrong. Animoog uses a form on anisotropic synthesis, similar to wavetable synthesis.

You all know that you can oscillate any sample, or part of that sample, right? Just load the sample, go to the Part settings, and change Edit Controls from Distortion to Sample, and Loop to **On*. Now The two parameter knobs can be adjusted for start and end points for the loop. This, combined with the Pitch control, and creative use of the AMP and filter envelopes allows you do do some really cool stuff.

You can make a totally different sound out of any sample. Or, you can load single cycle waveforms to expand the reach of the synth engine. I’m assuming you could treat the Animoog waveforms that way too, though I haven’t tried.

P.S. 4300 free single-cycle waveforms available here: https://www.adventurekid.se/akrt/waveforms/adventure-kid-waveforms/

• @wim said:
    P.S. 4300 free single-cycle waveforms available here: https://www.adventurekid.se/akrt/waveforms/adventure-kid-waveforms/

Thanks for this!

• edited January 2018

single ccle waveforms are nice but lot better is if you have few cycles - from 10 to few hundreds.. specially if it is sampled from analog synth, to capture sound movement and oscillator unstabilities - with single cycle waveform tou often get too much static sound

i'm working currently on patch bank for one synth/sampler, which is based on sampled material from few hw synths.. initially i started with single cycle waveforms but then i realized if i use few cycles instead of one (of course properly looped) whole thing moved to completely new level, sound started to be moving, vivid, lot more interesting.,,

• @jimpavloff In the Akai iMPC PRO and Beatmaker3 apps you can sample via Inter App sampling - means sample direct from any app like Audioshare etc.
    Is this a future possibilty for GR - that would be excellent.
    Also in the iMPC app you can set volume level globally in the mixer window by tapping on the fader twice and a pop up menu for the chosen mix fader gives the option to set the mix faders volume level the same on all patterns/sequences - same function is available for all parameter controls.
    This would be good to see at some stage in GR.

• @stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff In the Akai iMPC PRO and Beatmaker3 apps you can sample via Inter App sampling - means sample direct from any app like Audioshare etc.
    Is this a future possibilty for GR - that would be excellent.
    Also in the iMPC app you can set volume level globally in the mixer window by tapping on the fader twice and a pop up menu for the chosen mix fader gives the option to set the mix faders volume level the same on all patterns/sequences - same function is available for all parameter controls.
    This would be good to see at some stage in GR.

• @jimpavloff here's a pic of the Inter App record sample window in Akai iMPC PRO

• @dendy - dude iam talking about sampling INTO GR via Interapp

• @jimpavloff or anyone - is there any way to transfer my chained patterns (full song) onto another ipad or do I have to re chain the patterns?
    Thanks in advance.

• @stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff or anyone - is there any way to transfer my chained patterns (full song) onto another ipad or do I have to re chain the patterns?
    Thanks in advance.

@jimpavloff When transfering the chained patterns just realised the chain order is number specific - is there any way when saving the chains the chained information is coded by the patterns name instead - that way the user does not have to re order any chains. The user may have other pattern chains on another ipad with the same pattern numbers so the chains from the other ipad wont load in the right order.

• @stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff or anyone - is there any way to transfer my chained patterns (full song) onto another ipad or do I have to re chain the patterns?
    Thanks in advance.

@jimpavloff When transfering the chained patterns just realised the chain order is number specific - is there any way when saving the chains the chained information is coded by the patterns name instead - that way the user does not have to re order any chains. The user may have other pattern chains on another ipad with the same pattern numbers so the chains from the other ipad wont load in the right order.

@jimpavloff when i say number specific i mean the util numbers