Skip to content

Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

Comments

• @jimpavloff Just in from a dj gig and back on GR - addicted to this app - jim will you be implementing midi clock /sync?

• @skiphunt said:
    I haven’t played with this much since before the last couple of updates, which seem to be massive since I’m lost again. ;)

Having said that, it looks like the changes and additions are pretty cool.

Last night I just stumbled around and had something more or less interesting going without knowing how I got there. Tonight I ventured back in and got lost for about an hour and also liked where I was going.

Starting to think that with this app, it’s not really crucial to completely understand the entire interface to get terrific stuff and just... well... have fun. :)

I plan on eventually knowing this interface completely, but I may wait until the updates, changes, and additions to subside/settle a bit first. Until then, I think I’ll just keep getting lost and sometimes lucky in this app... while having a little fun in the process. Glad I picked this one up.

Sums me up entirely as regards GR.

• @stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff Just in from a dj gig and back on GR - addicted to this app - jim will you be implementing midi clock /sync?

Yes

• Wow! What an update! You have been busy!

All the files stuff is just sooo good. Well explained in the manual too. Thanks so much for the AudioShare and share sheet support, the amazing zip file import, and for support for folders, the slice pattern editor (which is excellent) and all the rest. Amazing stuff!

One small suggestion: user samples could really use a “one-shot” option, so that the sample plays all the way to the end whenever triggered. For instance, as it is now, a crash cymbal needs to have the note duration long enough to play the whole sample. Normally though, drum samples, play to the end no matter the duration of the note.

Thanks again for this great app!!

• edited January 2018

@wim said:
    Wow! What an update! You have been busy!

All the files stuff is just sooo good. Well explained in the manual too. Thanks so much for the AudioShare and share sheet support, the amazing zip file import, and for support for folders, the slice pattern editor (which is excellent) and all the rest. Amazing stuff!

One small suggestion: user samples could really use a “one-shot” option, so that the sample plays all the way to the end whenever triggered. For instance, as it is now, a crash cymbal needs to have the note duration long enough to play the whole sample. Normally though, drum samples, play to the end no matter the duration of the note.

Full release in the env maybe be OK in most cases as workaround for drum/cymbal hits?

• @Iostress said:

@wim said:
    Wow! What an update! You have been busy!

Full release in the env maybe be OK in most cases as workaround for drum/cymbal hits?

Yes, Amp Env -> on and full release. One shot mode turned off intentionally for user samples, because they usually long enough, plus using slice mode... It really could be a pain if it was on.

• @jimpavloff Does Export Patterns Bank save all the samples or just parameters and pattern information/settings?

• @jimpavloff Any plans in near future to give GR Auv3 status - that would be really good if in due time GR gets Auv3 implemented then can load multiple instances and record multi stems in a DAW or the AUM Mixer (check Beathawk) I been trying to think of a way to implement multi stem export for future updates - Recording live to seperate tracks in a DAW would be excellent way to expand GR into a full production tool-

• @stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff Does Export Patterns Bank save all the samples or just parameters and pattern information/settings?

It saves all 256 patterns and all samples, which used in these patterns in one file.

• @stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff Any plans in near future to give GR Auv3 status - that would be really good if in due time GR gets Auv3 implemented then can load multiple instances and record multi stems in a DAW or the AUM Mixer (check Beathawk) I been trying to think of a way to implement multi stem export for future updates - Recording live to seperate tracks in a DAW would be excellent way to expand GR into a full production tool-

Auv3 would limit many capabilities of GR, so I'd better think about how to export stems directly right out of GR.

• edited January 2018

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff Any plans in near future to give GR Auv3 status - that would be really good if in due time GR gets Auv3 implemented then can load multiple instances and record multi stems in a DAW or the AUM Mixer (check Beathawk) I been trying to think of a way to implement multi stem export for future updates - Recording live to seperate tracks in a DAW would be excellent way to expand GR into a full production tool-

Auv3 would limit many capabilities of GR, so I'd better think about how to export stems directly right out of GR.

@jimpavloff ok cool -

• @jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

Curious how would AUv3 limit GR16? I imagine dev has better things to do than to write lengthy explanation but maybe someone less busy can enlighten?

To someone like me with little understanding of the way things work below the surface, it seems like the GR16 UI is ideal for candidate for AU version? Looks almost 'made to measure' ;)

And with the arrival of midi AU (rozeta etc) I figured everything like Probability etc was kind of 'open' now and there was potential for AU's like GR16 that could be self contained instruments inside AU host without being forced to lose features?

Honest question, not trying to bait or belittle. Just curious why things like this wouldn't be possible now on ios and if people think they ever will be any time soon?

• @jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff Does Export Patterns Bank save all the samples or just parameters and pattern information/settings?

It saves all 256 patterns and all samples, which used in these patterns in one file.

@jimpavloff ok thanks for info - no rush but if theres a way to code GR to export only the used patterns as a bank instead of used and unused could be good and not all the empty "Inits" Then the user can name and export Patterns Bank as a song with only the Inits/Patterns used.

• @stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff ok thanks for info - no rush but if theres a way to code GR to export only the used patterns as a bank instead of used and unused could be good and not all the empty "Inits" Then the user can name and export Patterns Bank as a song with only the Inits/Patterns used.

@jimpavloff I say this because when re loading the exported patterns bank to another ipad the newly re loaded bank will totally erase all 256 Patterns on the "2nd" ipad which may have other patterns saved - just thinkiing logistically about file transfering projects between different ipad devices

• @stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff I say this because when re loading the exported patterns bank to another ipad the newly re loaded bank will totally erase all 256 Patterns on the "2nd" ipad which may have other patterns saved - just thinkiing logistically about file transfering projects between different ipad devices

Needs User banks/projects...

• @Iostress said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

@lostress @jimpavloff yep just thinking of ways to get GR onto the next step up - it has the functions to be a power tool but - for instance imagine I had to email you my Patterns Bank to finish off a track or beat - you load my Patterns Bank think yeh time to finish this "project" and my Patterns Bank totally erases all your 256 Patterns in one go . - Damn you wouldn't be happy - I'am not sleighing or slating GR in anyway just thinking of ergonomics for the user in future updates

• @stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

@lostress @jimpavloff yep just thinking of ways to get GR onto the next step up - it has the functions to be a power tool but - for instance imagine I had to email you my Patterns Bank to finish off a track or beat - you load my Patterns Bank think yeh time to finish this "project" and my Patterns Bank totally erases all your 256 Patterns in one go . - Damn you wouldn't be happy - I'am not sleighing or slating GR in anyway just thinking of ergonomics for the user in future updates

@lostress +1 for option to "save project" implemented with option to name the project - the way around it would be an option in GR to "Create New Project - the Init options are ok but all the 256 Inits loading as a default could hinder a few things for Project Transfer.

• @stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

Yeh it's a pretty archaic/unoptimised system without user banks or projects. It's not like space is an issue. Hopefully an easy fix for future.

• @Iostress said:

@stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

Yeh it's a pretty archaic/unoptimised system without user banks or projects. It's not like space is an issue. Hopefully an easy fix for future.

@jimpavloff @lostress yep its a new app and I have faith that Jim is testing the waters and will develope GR as it gains more interest - it really can be the power tool with the right user ergonomics

• I don’t see what the problem is.

Treat each pattern Bank as a project

Reload the appropriate pattern bank as and when you want to continue working on it and export it before you load a different one.

• @BiancaNeve said:
    I don’t see what the problem is.

Reload the appropriate pattern bank as and when you want to continue working on it and export it before you load a different one.

@BiancaNeve Good for you and I never said anything is a problem - If you want to erase all your ipads everytime you transfer and load the Banks do that - I have clearly stated I am not knocking GR - solution thinking. I say no more to you. Each bank is not a project As it stands each bank is infact one bank with 256 pattern each okayyyy.

• edited January 2018

@stormbeats said:

@BiancaNeve said:

@BiancaNeve Good for you and I never said anything is a problem - If you want to erase all your ipads GR patterns everytime you transfer and load the Banks do that - I have clearly stated I am not knocking GR - solution thinking. I say no more to you. Each bank is not a project As it stands each bank is infact one bank with 256 pattern each okayyyy.

@BiancaNeve Nothing is a "problem" when thinking of constructive "solutions" for a great app with lot of potential.

• @BiancaNeve said:

Way to state the obvious ;)

Sadly it doesn't solve all the negative implications of the current system..

• @Iostress said:

@BiancaNeve said:

Way to state the obvious ;)

Sadly it doesn't solve all the negative implications of the current system..

@lostress Exactly -

• edited January 2018

@Iostress said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

Curious how would AUv3 limit GR16? I imagine dev has better things to do than to write lengthy explanation but maybe someone less busy can enlighten?

To someone like me with little understanding of the way things work below the surface, it seems like the GR16 UI is ideal for candidate for AU version? Looks almost 'made to measure' ;)

And with the arrival of midi AU (rozeta etc) I figured everything like Probability etc was kind of 'open' now and there was potential for AU's like GR16 that could be self contained instruments inside AU host without being forced to lose features?

Honest question, not trying to bait or belittle. Just curious why things like this wouldn't be possible now on ios and if people think they ever will be any time soon?

Au plugins cannot use more than 384 MB of ram across all shared instances. So it's quite crippling. Specially for a sampler. Midi doesn't need much ram. Unless apple removes the hard limit on ram usage you won't see heavy sample based AUx.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@Iostress said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

Au plugins cannot use more than 384 MB of ram across all shared instances. So it's quite crippling. Specially for a sampler.

@gonekrazy3000 ok well the competition is Beatmaker3 then - nope Iam not giving up on GR @jimpavloff is genius -

• @stormbeats said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@Iostress said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

Au plugins cannot use more than 384 MB of ram across all shared instances. So it's quite crippling. Specially for a sampler.

@gonekrazy3000 ok well the competition is Beatmaker3 then - nope Iam not giving up on GR @jimpavloff is genius -

@gonekrazy3000 Apparently Beathawk can load lots of multi instances I will test the RAM limitations with around 8 - 12 instances in AUM -

• @stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@Iostress said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

@gonekrazy3000 Apparently Beathawk can load lots of multi instances I will test the RAM limitations with around 8 - 12 instances in AUM -

@gonekrazy3000 Don't get me wrong I hear what your saying just thinking of ways to do a full mixed project as GR currently is not an AU host - and has no midi clock sync at present -

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@Iostress said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

Au plugins cannot use more than 384 MB of ram across all shared instances. So it's quite crippling. Specially for a sampler. Midi doesn't need much ram. Unless apple removes the hard limit on ram usage you won't see heavy sample based AUx.

:( good old apple...

Wouldn't something like beathawk AUv3 use same/more ram than GR16 tho?

16sec limit on mono samples in GR16 and 16 per current pattern. I don't know what that calculates as but seems like not very much?

Altho I suppose the way that GR16 stores all samples to cache might be problematic if that entire cache requires to be constantly in ram? As opposed to current pattern only.

Im guessing its pretty clear I have almost zero idea what I'm talking about now :/ haha

• @Iostress said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@Iostress said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

:( good old apple...

Wouldn't something like beathawk AUv3 use same/more ram than GR16 tho?

16sec limit on mono samples in GR16 and 16 per current pattern. I don't know what that calculates as but seems like not very much?

Altho I suppose the way that GR16 stores all samples to cache might be problematic if that entire cache requires to be constantly in ram? As opposed to current pattern only.

Im guessing its pretty clear I have almost zero idea what I'm talking about now :/ haha

I was planning to make AUv3 port of GR in future only for playing back sound/samples. I.e. no pads, no notes, no step sequencer, just a one part playback with one selected sound (part) per AU. Something like a "tone generator" that can be used to play one channel (part sound) of GR.