Skip to content

Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

Comments

• .. > @RJB said:

@jimpavloff

Really enjoying your app, considering how far it’s out of my wheelhouse I am having a blast, thanks for all your efforts. I’ve even made a few decent osc patches which is rare for me but speaks to the usability of your creation.

Any chance of a folder of premade Osc patches, maybe a storehouse for all the ones you’ve created in your demos and a place to put my attempts which would be available for fast access. Sometimes I just want to jump in and get a beat going without messing with a list of oscillators and haveate a sound from scratch. Trance, EDM, what ever you want to put in there would be great, thanks.

+1 for save and browse user patches

• edited January 2018

This app is great for sound design, if you consider the whole mix as sound, which it sounds like to me. 16 synths, playing at once, every parameter having been automated to some degree, all with different fx configurations. Fuck ton of power right there. I don’t think I’ve yet made a pattern that had more than 3 or 4 synths going at once. Haven’t even cracked the surface

• @db909 said:
    This app is great for sound design, if you consider the whole mix as sound, which it sounds like to me. 16 synths, playing at once, every parameter having been automated to some degree, all with different fx configurations. Fuck ton of power right there. I don’t think I’ve yet made a pattern that had more than 3 or 4 synths going at once. Haven’t even cracked the surface

Yeah for sure, totally agree that having it all together and with the p-locks/automation etc is killer. That's the magic of the app. Same way that Elektron's analog four's biggest USP is in its sequencer and combining the parts, imho. But I was talking about it as a 'one Part instrument' and without the sequencer, like the proposed AU.. Quickly becomes nothing very special then and with a ton of competition from other AUs..

• @Iostress show me one au synth which have crossmodulation between oscillators at the quality level of GR16, for examble square crossmodulating supersaw (not counting poison202 of course)

there are few sound areas where is GR's engine pretty unique on iOS platform...

I was trying to reproduce some sounds of GR16 in Poison202 but it was not so easy (and i think i'm pretty good in synth patch design)

Simply that fusion of simple interface but high quality result (but also still CPU low footprint - big respect @jimpavloff for dsp coding optimisation) is interesting...

• @dendy said:
    @Iostress show me one au synth which have crossmodulation between oscillators at the quality level of GR16, for examble square crossmodulating supersaw (not counting poison202 of course)

there are few sound areas where is GR's engine pretty unique on iOS platform...

I was trying to reproduce some sounds of GR16 in Poison202 but it was not so easy (and i think i'm pretty good in synth patch design)

Simply that fusion of simple interface but high quality result (but also still CPU low footprint - big respect @jimpavloff for dsp coding optimisation) is interesting...

That’s cool that you’re hyped for that and not disappointed that the GR16 AU will just be a synth. Enjoy.

• @jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff I had a re think about the tone generator idea - you mean to be used a sound module only - no option to record any pad triggering?

Yes, you would need some external sequencer to write your notes/parts in there and play the AU's, some Daw like Cubasis for example

A MIDI sequencer could also be used to control the AU instances of GR so this could be a way to add extra effects in the chain. You could experiment with different parts in this AU setup and then be able to export the stems to a DAW and recreate the supplemental effects chain.

I think the point of BeatHawk loading in only the samples needed for each project is significant to keep in mind as the reason why it works as an AU. Groove Rider can potentially load in a tremendous number of samples into its bank.

I would think you’d need to create bank files which limit the number of samples in those banks for it to work for an AU. Possibly some way to select a subset of patterns with their included sounds might be a way to create an AU preset for Groove Rider? If an AU preset could be created from within free standing or IAA Groove Rider there could be some sort of resource meter in the app that would let you know if the chained patterns are under the AU threshold size or not. The app would have to go into some sort of utility mode where it would determine the resources used. Playback would stop, it’d give you a report which would list all of the patterns and sounds used in the current chain and whether or not it’s too big or not to create an AU preset from. The user could then know what their options are for adding or trimming their chained patterns to fit within the AU. The report process would not include sounds which are in any patterns but never triggered when the chain of patterns is played.

When you load the AU you can load a preset from the list you’ve created. Conceivably you could have variations of the GR AU:

1. As outlined by Jim above.
    2. Player presets that respond to host transport controls and output the audio from an AU preset created in the IAA/stand-alone version of GR where the user could configure which combination of the 16 parts is output. This version would also have access to the GR mixer but no ability to really modify the original preset so it’s a player.
    3. A separate GR AU app which loads in AU GR banks exported from regular GR. When imported into GR AU and then loaded into an AU instance of GR AU, a set of patterns is automatically generated. The user can specify which parts have their audio sent out.

In summary, an AU GR app could have the following:

1. Import GR AU banks.
    2. Automatically generate a GR AU bank file from a selected GR bank file.
    3. An ability to create master presets which would include pattern mixer settings, and part output settings. These could be done for a whole bank or customized per pattern.
    4. The automatically generated AU presets would have the settings from the regular GR bank file they were generated from.
    5. MIDI control of AU bank presets where all of the controls could be setup for MIDI control. You’d load in the AU bank, select a pattern, and control it from there via MIDI. Control change messages could be used to switch between patterns with an ability to set it up for either accompanying already created material or the option to control playback via MIDI.
    6. A built-in pattern sequencer where you select patterns and the number of times they are played with various options for playback similar to Rozeta but operating on the pattern selection level rather than the note level. This could extend the functionality of GR beyond it’s current levels as this sequencing wouldn’t be dependent upon the current hardware inspired limitations of the current GR.
    7. Regular GR could automatically generate GR AU banks for export. This makes much more sense than the user trying to figure it out. The AU bank could include the version of GR and the GR bank file used to generate it. From a menu, the user would select a GR bank file and the app would then generate a GR AU bank. The app would be smart enough to create additional banks (which would be accessible after loading automatically from one GR AU bank file) when it determines a chain or set of patterns will exceed the AU limits. If any patterns or chains exceed GR AU bank limits, they’ll be listed for the user with an option to save the list to a file.
    8. There could be a suite of GUIs for the GR AU app (e.g. Rozeta) depending upon the use case, the GUI will be designed accordingly.
    9. Linked GR AU presets to handle long pattern chains. Automatically generate a set of presets of the form PatternNameAUpart01, PatternNameAUpart02, PatternNameAUpart03, . . . where each AU instance will be loaded with the appropriate part and the set of AU instances running in parallel will then be controlled as if they were one instance.
    10. Regular GR could have bank setting options so that it limits the number of sounds, patterns, and chain combinations to stay within GR AU app limitations thereby eliminating the need for GR AU link patterns. The user could then create their patterns knowing there will be a one to one correspondence when they export and load GR AU bank files.

My perspective is that a separate GR AU app which uses exported AU bank files from stand-alone/IAA GR makes more sense. Users who want to use GR without AU can do so, and people could have the option to import GR AU bank files into their GR AU app if they aren’t interested in creating their own. It could be a significant amount of work to create a separate GR AU app as well, so it makes sense for those who want it, to purchase it. Regular GR and AU GR could be updated and maintained separately to a certain degree so long as the integrity of the export/import of GR AU banks is maintained. Since in many respects GR is a database, extracting information from it to further process the data it contains via a GR AU app seems viable.

• @jimpavloff could we at least get IAA multi outs like patterning does ? That would be enough for me since I could send each part to Different processing chain in Aum and record dry/wet versions of everything.... I don't even need au.

• @Iostress said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff I had a re think about the tone generator idea - you mean to be used a sound module only - no option to record any pad triggering?

Yes, you would need some external sequencer to write your notes/parts in there and play the AU's, some Daw like Cubasis for example

In BM3 you could have a gr16 'voice' instance per pad in a bank. Still give you the 16 pads together. But losing the probability, parameter locks and things like arpeggio+ xy and 'jump' mode....There won't be much left really besides a pretty basic sound design palette? Not sure who would use it? Besides @dendy who would prob buy GR16 aftershave if you sold it as IAP ;) (just joking Dendy :)

If not planning a more full-functioning AU then my vote goes for just forget AU all together and focus time/energy on developing the app itself as standalone ;)

Not trying to be negative. Just failing to see the glamour in a 'one voice AU' with the GR16 sampler. Especially for anyone using BM3. Seems more of a hassle than a legit solution to anything?

@lostress @jimpavloff i agree 100% with lostress - I would lose and miss the excellent swing groove that GR has - personally I think the routing of GR Auv3 version would be a better way to get some stem mixes and recording multi instances which would be loaded in AUM or any DAW would be the way to go - All synced to the DAW host - think oldschool recording multi outputs from Akai MPC etc - routed through a studio console then recorded to tape/adat etc Stand alone is cool but how would you be able to mix 5 min etc of vocals when GR is 16sec sampling - now if that is raised to at least one minute then can put the vocals in GR add multi fx and sorted - if we get even just 2 more effects per pad and definitely a compressor per pad then yes standalone GR .I'am gonna chop some vocals in GR and maybe even do the EMU SP1200 trick of speeding up the vocals when samping them into GR to compensate for samping time.

• @stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

In BM3 you could have a gr16 'voice' instance per pad in a bank. Still give you the 16 pads together. But losing the probability, parameter locks and things like arpeggio+ xy and 'jump' mode....There won't be much left really besides a pretty basic sound design palette? Not sure who would use it? Besides @dendy who would prob buy GR16 aftershave if you sold it as IAP ;) (just joking Dendy :)

If not planning a more full-functioning AU then my vote goes for just forget AU all together and focus time/energy on developing the app itself as standalone ;)

Not trying to be negative. Just failing to see the glamour in a 'one voice AU' with the GR16 sampler. Especially for anyone using BM3. Seems more of a hassle than a legit solution to anything?

@lostress @jimpavloff i agree 100% with lostress - I would lose and miss the excellent swing groove that GR has - personally I think the routing of GR Auv3 version would be a better way to get some stem mixes and recording multi instances which would be loaded in AUM or any DAW would be the way to go - All synced to the DAW host - think oldschool recording multi outputs from Akai MPC etc - routed through a studio console then recorded to tape/adat etc Stand alone is cool but how would you be able to mix 5 min etc of vocals when GR is 16sec sampling - now if that is raised to at least one minute then can put the vocals in GR add multi fx and sorted - if we get even just 2 more effects per pad and definitely a compressor per pad then yes standalone GR .I'am gonna chop some vocals in GR and maybe even do the EMU SP1200 trick of speeding up the vocals when samping them into GR to compensate for samping time.

As far as I know, one Audio Unit can give you only one stereo output. Nothing near with stems. Am I wrong? IAA like patterning does seems to be more real and from this world.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    @jimpavloff could we at least get IAA multi outs like patterning does ? That would be enough for me since I could send each part to Different processing chain in Aum and record dry/wet versions of everything.... I don't even need au.

+1 on that idea i agree 100%

• @jimpavloff i think @brambos mentioned somewhere that AUv3 in principe supports multiple ins and outs, just currently there is no DAW which supports this... but this can very quickly change...

• @jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

As far as I know, one Audio Unit can give you only one stereo output. Nothing near with stems. Am I wrong? IAA like patterning does seems to be more real and from this world.

@jimpavloff ok yes maybe the way Patterning app works - i heard about the multi outs not checked it out as yet.

• @jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

Yeah I think that's accurate atm. IAA separate outputs would be great :) I don't plan to use it for shows so that would be fine for my needs (eq/mixing per track in daw).

I think part of why we were speaking about the AU was also being able to do stuff like have GR16 as an AU on one daw track and stuff like vocals, long synth passages etc on another daw track? Or even rozeta in conjunction with GR16 :)

That kind of flexibility/integration for GR16 would be dope. Could have just been me having that conversation though!? Easy to get confused in this thread ;)

• @Iostress said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

Yeah I think that's accurate atm. IAA separate outputs would be great :) I don't plan to use it for shows so that would be fine for my needs (eq/mixing per track in daw).

I think part of why we were speaking about the AU was also being able to do stuff like have GR16 as an AU on one daw track and stuff like vocals, long synth passages etc on another daw track? Or even rozeta in conjunction with GR16 :)

That kind of flexibility/integration for GR16 would be dope. Could have just been me having that conversation though!? Easy to get confused in this thread ;)

@lostress yep that's what I meant - the IAA seperate outs is good suggestion too though.

• edited January 2018

hey guys.. please, can you stop in each post quote whole discussion 5+ posts from history ?

it's pretty much mess then read this thread... just copy part of post on which you react and paste it to your message after > ...

@Michael maybe complete remove of "quote" button will be good idea cause some people (not just in this thread) are strongly overusing it, making from threads effectively unreadable mess :-))

• @dendy Fair point and while I'am here I prefer you not to use swear words as of your previous posts -
    Peace

• @dendy said:
    hey guys.. please, can you stop in each post quote whole discussion 5+ posts from history ?

it's pretty much mess then read this thread... just copy part of post on which you react and paste it to your message after > ...

@Michael maybe complete remove of "quote" button will be good idea cause some people strongly overuse it :-))

I think the look of the quotes depends upon the browser you’re using. If you use Safari on an iPad, for example, the older quotes are collapsed and you have to click on a link to expand the post to see the other quotes.

• @dendy said:

@Michael maybe complete remove of "quote" button will be good idea cause some people (not just in this thread) are strongly overusing it, making from threads effectively unreadable mess :-))

I like the quote feature. It doesn’t hide previous quotes for you? In Chrome there’s a ‘Show previous quotes’ link each time if you want to expand them).

• edited January 2018

@gusgranite said:

@dendy said:

I like the quote feature. It doesn’t hide previous quotes for you? In Chrome there’s a ‘Show previous quotes’ link each time if you want to expand them).

Yeh I also only see the most recent quote and have the option for 'show previous quotes'..

(on chrome on android)

• i use chrome ... for me it looks like this.. ok if it is just my problem i simply stop read thus thread, and problem solved :-)))

• @dendy said:
    i use chrome ... for me it looks like this.. ok if it is just my problem i simply stop read thus thread, and problem solved :-)))

Looks like video feedback ;)

• @dendy Chill dude you made even more of a cluttered mess posting that - haha

• @stormbeats said:
    @dendy Chill dude you made even more of a cluttered mess posting that - haha

@dendy you don't have to leave the thread we all woven in and you have made some good suggestions for GR - peace

• @Iostress said:

@dendy said:
    i use chrome ... for me it looks like this.. ok if it is just my problem i simply stop read thus thread, and problem solved :-)))

Looks like video feedback ;)

Looks like I'am being stalked - joking

• edited January 2018

better to be stalked than ignored !

btw. beware of too much quotes - if you reach certain level, it all colapses, creates black hole which eats your ipad, you and near part of our galaxy !

• @dendy said:
    better to be stalked than ignored !

btw. beware of too much quotes - if you reach certain level, it all colapses, creates black hole which eats your ipad, you and near part of our galaxy !

I don't browse the web on ipad but cool.

• @dendy Weird! Do you have JavaScript disabled or something?

• @Iostress said:

A GR pattern chain in a GR AU player with limited controls compared to regular GR and GR AU MIDI control would be powerful. Solo/mute/adjust the mix for the parts in the instance, run it through effects in a DAW or other AU app host, and/or use other sequencers/controllers to do things with parts in the pattern you can’t do in the current GR (e.g. multi-timbral kit where a pattern is used as an instrument). Since the total number of samples/synths used by an AU GR bank would be the limiting factor, being able to modify or create pattern chains should be possible in GR AU.

The option to load the modified AU bank back into regular GR to modify or compose more patterns (i.e. mixer page settings and chains saved to the bank).

A percussion/bass pattern chain in one AU instance, a lead in another, and/or use MIDI to control/sequence other GR AU instances.

Develop a pattern in regular GR focused solely on vocal samples with instrumental parts running in GR AU. Tweak instrumental parts in response to how they fit in with the vocal pattern chain. Flexible parallel/chain AU GR audio streams for polyrhythms. These are more difficult/less flexible with stems.

Each GR AU instance could focus on an aspect of the composition like an orchestra with string, brass, woodwind, and percussion sections. The ability of AU to remember complex settings are vital for complex compositional structures. If you limited yourself to an all AU setup, it could be a non-traditional DAW and expand beyond its hardware groove box origins.

• edited January 2018

@Michael said:
    @dendy Weird! Do you have JavaScript disabled or something?

no, problem solved.. my fault, in my profile > quote settings there was set “no fold quotes” .. i do not remeber that i changed it, but anyway i switched it to level 1 and now everything ok, all that quote mess is closed - folded by default :)

• Can I get the quote feature implemented as an AU3 and, also, can I get GR to sort out the issue with North Korea?