Skip to content

Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

Comments

• I really like the way slicing is implemented, especially choosing slice per step. Very slick.

• edited January 2018

@jimpavloff can you give the option for the SHIFT button to be ON/OFF in prefered settings page - its a little bit difficult to fine edit samples having to HOLD SHIFT

• wimwim
    edited January 2018

@jimpavloff said:

@Iostress said:

@wim said:
    Wow! What an update! You have been busy!

All the files stuff is just sooo good. Well explained in the manual too. Thanks so much for the AudioShare and share sheet support, the amazing zip file import, and for support for folders, the slice pattern editor (which is excellent) and all the rest. Amazing stuff!

One small suggestion: user samples could really use a “one-shot” option, so that the sample plays all the way to the end whenever triggered. For instance, as it is now, a crash cymbal needs to have the note duration long enough to play the whole sample. Normally though, drum samples, play to the end no matter the duration of the note.

Thanks again for this great app!!

Full release in the env maybe be OK in most cases as workaround for drum/cymbal hits?

Yes, Amp Env -> on and full release. One shot mode turned off intentionally for user samples, because they usually long enough, plus using slice mode... It really could be a pain if it was on.

It wouldn’t be a pain if it was optional and defaulted to off. Amp envelope release is OK, but there’s only one envelope, which then isn’t free for the filter. It would also be very helpful for triggering longer samples when you don’t want to waste a finger holding down the pad for the duration.

But, no biggie.

• I love everything AU. It’s the future for sure... but I find myself being completely content with GR being a stand alone app. Don’t need AU effects or extra window either. But the separate audio ports for IAA would be a winner.

• @DCJ said:
    I love everything AU. It’s the future for sure... but I find myself being completely content with GR being a stand alone app. Don’t need AU effects or extra window either. But the separate audio ports for IAA would be a winner.

I’ve been using the release at full for samples as well but thought the one-shot idea was pretty good since it would free the envelope to be used just for the filter if I’m not mistaken? But I agree that it’s no biggie.

• @DCJ said:

@DCJ said:
    I love everything AU. It’s the future for sure... but I find myself being completely content with GR being a stand alone app. Don’t need AU effects or extra window either. But the separate audio ports for IAA would be a winner.

I’ve been using the release at full for samples as well but thought the one-shot idea was pretty good since it would free the envelope to be used just for the filter if I’m not mistaken? But I agree that it’s no biggie.

I’ve been sequencing the sample and using edit mode to lengthen the step to accomodate the length of the sample. That frees up the envelope. Is this a solution?

• @pfrf said:

@DCJ said:

@DCJ said:

I’ve been sequencing the sample and using edit mode to lengthen the step to accomodate the length of the sample. That frees up the envelope. Is this a solution?

Actually, I never programmed the steps without adjusting the envelope because I assumed the behavior was the same in the sequencer as it is in the browser. So yes length works perfectly!

• wimwim
    edited January 2018

@pfrf said:

@DCJ said:

@DCJ said:

Yes, but each step has to be adjusted, or you have to remember to hold down the pad for the full duration of he sample. Try that with a nice long open hat or cymbal hit while performing or recording a drum beat. Not ideal.

• Are you serious about the swearing?

@stormbeats said:
    @dendy Fair point and while I'am here I prefer you not to use swear words as of your previous posts -
    Peace

• Wow.. update1.2.2..

Very nice..

Please Midi out/export next..

Thank you.

• edited January 2018

@pfrf said:

@DCJ said:

@DCJ said:

For an app that's main selling point is being 'fast' and 'performance', it's not really ideal...

2nd env. Latch. One-shot. Etc.. All things that would speed up overall workflow and broaden possibilities.

• Why not learn to code lostress and make the app of your dreams.

I think grooverider is a pretty good compromise between power and usability as it is.

• edited January 2018

2nd env

would be nice but where in the current one-screen layout is should be added ? there is not much space for next 4 knobs .. it's very similiar to only 4 bars pattern length problem.. there is simply no space for more controls on current surface without need of accessing additional controls with shift or other switch (which is then agains fast performance principe)

i'm really curious what will be jim's next choice of hw "cloned" to ios .. i secretly wish it will be yamaha rm1x, which has best sequencer from all grooveboxes ever made ..

• @BiancaNeve said:
    Why not learn to code lostress and make the app of your dreams.

I think grooverider is a pretty good compromise between power and usability as it is.

3 other people just said they have the same workflow issues? Maybe you missed that?

• Seems stems are on the way so I’m going to start using this again...

How are people syncing this with Bm3? Downloaded update and I can get sync via link but cant get any kind of shared transport. The little bm3 play/stop transport that pops up in GR16 has no effect. Am I missing something? Thanks

• @dendy said:

2nd env

would be nice but where in the current one-screen layout is should be added ? there is not much space for next 4 knobs .. it's very similiar to only 4 bars pattern length problem.. there is simply no space for more controls on current surface without need of accessing additional controls with shift or other switch (which is then agains fast performance principe)

i'm really curious what will be jim's next choice of hw "cloned" to ios .. i secretly wish it will be yamaha rm1x, which has best sequencer from all grooveboxes ever made ..

Could ‘shift + env’ To switch to env 2. Much ‘faster’ than having to adjust note length in sequencer due to lack of 2nd env.

2nd Params page makes most sense tho. There’s other stuff that could benefit the app if put on a 2nd params there too. If people didn’t want to use the 2nd page, they could just ignore it... everybody’s happy ;)

• @dendy said:

2nd env

Lol re the ‘clone’ thing. Would hope that Jim isn’t intending to be the Behringer of iOS ;) Though an iOS Octatrack for travelling with or sofa would be very welcome indeed :)

Hopefully any future clones won’t be quite so faithful to the original as to mimic their flaws/shortcomings like this one has ;) Interested for his ‘deeper app’ he mentioned.

• @jimpavloff -and anyone - what are the new pad labels used for?

• edited January 2018

@stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff -and anyone - what are the new pad labels used for?

@jimpavloff ok Instrument/Sample Not getting Mute displayed on Pads though A good step in the right direction - in a future update an option to rename samples and display the sample name on Pads would be cool.

• @Iostress said:

@db909 said:
    This app is great for sound design, if you consider the whole mix as sound, which it sounds like to me. 16 synths, playing at once, every parameter having been automated to some degree, all with different fx configurations. Fuck ton of power right there. I don’t think I’ve yet made a pattern that had more than 3 or 4 synths going at once. Haven’t even cracked the surface

Yeah for sure, totally agree that having it all together and with the p-locks/automation etc is killer. That's the magic of the app. Same way that Elektron's analog four's biggest USP is in its sequencer and combining the parts, imho. But I was talking about it as a 'one Part instrument' and without the sequencer, like the proposed AU.. Quickly becomes nothing very special then and with a ton of competition from other AUs..

Are there p-locks? How do you do them? (I know about the normal automation...)

• @Iostress said:

@dendy said:

2nd env

Lol re the ‘clone’ thing. Would hope that Jim isn’t intending to be the Behringer of iOS ;) Though an iOS Octatrack for travelling with or sofa would be very welcome indeed :)

Hopefully any future clones won’t be quite so faithful to the original as to mimic their flaws/shortcomings like this one has ;) Interested for his ‘deeper app’ he mentioned.

@dendy @ lostress @jimpavloff I think there is space for the 4 bar Pattern length "problem" An option in Pattern settings - set to 8 bars and on the GR display with the 4 bar squares after it gets to 4 bars the number display changes to 5 to 8

• @Michael_R_Grant said:

@Iostress said:

@db909 said:
    This app is great for sound design, if you consider the whole mix as sound, which it sounds like to me. 16 synths, playing at once, every parameter having been automated to some degree, all with different fx configurations. Fuck ton of power right there. I don’t think I’ve yet made a pattern that had more than 3 or 4 synths going at once. Haven’t even cracked the surface

Yeah for sure, totally agree that having it all together and with the p-locks/automation etc is killer. That's the magic of the app. Same way that Elektron's analog four's biggest USP is in its sequencer and combining the parts, imho. But I was talking about it as a 'one Part instrument' and without the sequencer, like the proposed AU.. Quickly becomes nothing very special then and with a ton of competition from other AUs..

Are there p-locks? How do you do them? (I know about the normal automation...)

Not sure I remember without checking. Think it’s seq>edit>hold pad (step) and tweak param. And can also then adjust the automation env in the editor
    Might be slightly wrong with those instructions. It’s definitely there and useable tho :)

• @stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

@dendy said:

2nd env

@dendy @ lostress @jimpavloff I think there is space for the 4 bar Pattern length "problem" An option in Pattern settings - set to 8 bars and on the GR display with the 4 bar squares after it gets to 4 bars the number display changes to 5 to 8

Pretty sure we won’t see an increase in bars. I’d be happy enough with tempo per part as a workaround though.

• edited January 2018

@Iostress said:

@stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

@dendy said:

2nd env

Pretty sure we won’t see an increase in bars. I’d be happy enough with tempo per part as a workaround though.

I think it can be done .Or a workaround for now is to half the tempo maybe - though that might mess with the swing and groove - I'am gonna try halfing a 95 bpm to 47.5bpm

• @stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff ok Instrument/Sample Not getting Mute displayed on Pads though A good step in the right direction - in a future update an option to rename samples and display the sample name on Pads would be cool.

You can rename parts in the Part parameter menu.

• @jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

You can rename parts in the Part parameter menu.

ok thanks

• @stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

@stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

@dendy said:

2nd env

I think it can be done .Or a workaround for now is to half the tempo maybe - though that might mess with the swing and groove - I'am gonna try halfing a 95 bpm to 47.5bpm

If you half global tempo you'll lose ability for 16ths for hi-hats, quicker melodies etc. Needs to be per track really or its just a solution that brings other problems ;) Even tempo per track will have its own limitations compared to 8 bars. But far less than current options.

• @Iostress said:

@stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

@stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

@dendy said:

2nd env

If you half global tempo you'll lose ability for 16ths for hi-hats, quicker melodies etc. Needs to be per track really or its just a solution that brings other problems ;) Even tempo per track will have its own limitations compared to 8 bars. But far less than current options.

@lostress yep your right i did try - bars got extennded to 8 but the swing was messed up - iam currently looking into the sample size option in parts menu 1/2/4/8/16beats

• @Iostress said:

Storke still works for those machine gun hi-hats and double-hits on steps ;)
    Per part timing division would be super handy though...

• @stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

@stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

@stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

@dendy said:

2nd env

@lostress yep your right i did try - bars got extennded to 8 but the swing was messed up - iam currently looking into the sample size option in parts menu 1/2/4/8/16beats

@lostress never worked - but resampling patterns after exporting to audio then re importing will though...what you reckon ?