Skip to content

Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

Comments

• Any idea when it will be iPhone x compatible?

• @Littlewoodg said:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/u7wazs4oombm1u8/persis.pattern-1.gr16?dl=0

Let me know if this opens in your GR, I exported it from mine, but it won’t open in mine (“format not supported...?”) Edit: closed GR, closed Dropbox, re-opened and import succeeded...

I tried that but no luck

• @RJB said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/u7wazs4oombm1u8/persis.pattern-1.gr16?dl=0

Let me know if this opens in your GR, I exported it from mine, but it won’t open in mine (“format not supported...?”) Edit: closed GR, closed Dropbox, re-opened and import succeeded...

I tried that but no luck

Rename it to persis.pattern.gr16 - it will open. The reason it is not opening is that you have added "-1" to the file extension.

• @Zjenji said:
    Any idea when it will be iPhone x compatible?

Is it not working on X?

• That did it,thanks Jim.

• I like how it pixelates the waveform when you decimate a sample. I haven't noticed that before.

• Thanks for the names on the pads. That is a small but really helpful addition!

• @JohnnyGoodyear : Awesome. I have the app but have not delved into it yet . Didn’t know you could do that with the sample in FX. Thanks so much!
    Is there a frigging forum ANYWHERE that gives you answers so quick?

• edited January 2018

@Iostress said:

@Lt_Core said:
    I think I’m the only one who doesn’t understand how to use this app, ugh. It’s great you all love it, I just wish I could figure it out, haha!

Where are you having issues? Not many tutorial videos out there for this yet but can prob help out on here if give specifics ;)

@guidinglight said:

@Lt_Core said:
    I think I’m the only one who doesn’t understand how to use this app, ugh. It’s great you all love it, I just wish I could figure it out, haha!

Do you know about shift functions? What can’t you figure out?

I'm new to creating electronic music. I play guitar and gig 2 to 3 times a month. I'm adding some electronic sounds/samples/etc to our live show so I bought a bunch of iOS apps for my iPad Pro and a Novation LaunchPad Pro. Just some background on me and what I'm going for.

With that being said, the whole step/sequencer thing has me a bit confused on how to get it going I guess. Is it as simple as pressing record then tapping out a bunch of sounds, then building it up from there? Sorry for the newbie question.

• edited January 2018

@Lt_Core said:

@Iostress said:

@Lt_Core said:

Where are you having issues? Not many tutorial videos out there for this yet but can prob help out on here if give specifics ;)

@guidinglight said:

@Lt_Core said:

I'm new to creating electronic music. I play guitar and gig 2 to 3 times a month. I'm adding some electronic sounds/samples/etc to our live show so I bought a bunch of iOS apps for my iPad Pro and a Novation LaunchPad Pro. Just some background on me and what I'm going for.

With that being said, the whole step/sequencer thing has me a bit confused on how to get it going I guess. Is it as simple as pressing record then tapping out a bunch of sounds, then building it up from there? Sorry for the newbie question.

It is that simple. In this app. I don’t ever use the sequence editing. Just record stuff

• edited January 2018

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1tl7ripiz2uvi0f/persis.pattern.gr16?dl=0

Thanks for the tip @jimpavloff and thanks a million for the app

• @Lt_Core said:

@Iostress said:

@Lt_Core said:

@guidinglight said:

@Lt_Core said:

OT, but from the sound of what you're trying to do and the fact that you have a LaunchPad, you might want to check out the LaunchPad app and Blocs Wave. That could be a better fit for performing, and for not having to deal with too much learning all at once. Both those apps are inexpensive, come with a decent set of sounds to start with, and have a huge amount of sample packs at reasonable prices. Blocs especially has great capabilities for auditioning sound packs before deciding to purchase.

Of course, to build your own custom sounds to feed those two apps, apps like GR-16 and many others are great as well, and there are other loop creation and playback options like Loopy HD, LooperVerse, etc.

Also ... GarageBand, believe it or not, is a great place to start learning about things like step sequencing, looping, and much more. You can get going creating music right away, and learn the finer points as you go.

Just some thoughts.

• @Littlewoodg said:

Nice. Very funky. Me like

• edited January 2018

@db909 said:

@Littlewoodg said:

Thanks-!
    I dug your Chill...it was cool and cool with the bpm slowed way down too

• @wim

I love the LaunchPad, Blocs Wave and Groove Box apps. Like you said, they integrate very well with the LaunchPad Pro hardware.

I picked up Groove Rider because of the holiday sale and thought I'd give it shot, haha!

• @Lt_Core said:
    @wim

I love the LaunchPad, Blocs Wave and Groove Box apps. Like you said, they integrate very well with the LaunchPad Pro hardware.

I picked up Groove Rider because of the holiday sale and thought I'd give it shot, haha!

You won't regret it once you get used to the way things work!
    Consider it an intro into the world of hardware groove boxes like the Electribe at a tiny fraction of the cost. B)

• @Littlewoodg said:

@db909 said:

@Littlewoodg said:

Thanks-!

This thing is so much fun I realized the other day that a large majority of my now 194 patterns are the default 120 bpm cause i just keep going off of an initial one or 2 original patterns. So easy. Might have to spend more time consciously banging on the tap tempo. Glad it works both ways I’ll have to check it out

• @wim said:

@Lt_Core said:
    @wim

You won't regret it once you get used to the way things work!
    Consider it an intro into the world of hardware groove boxes like the Electribe at a tiny fraction of the cost. B)

Good way of looking at it.

• @db909 said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@db909 said:

@Littlewoodg said:

Thanks-!

This thing is so much fun I realized the other day that a large majority of my now 194 patterns are the default 120 bpm cause i just keep going off of an initial one or 2 original patterns. So easy. Might have to spend more time consciously banging on the tap tempo. Glad it works both ways I’ll have to check it out

The slower version then made me want to lay down 16th triplets on top, tst-tst-tst, tst-tst-tst...fun

• By-the-by, anyone know if the ability to export chains has been added?

• edited January 2018

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    By-the-by, anyone know if the ability to export chains has been added?

It hasn’t but when I asked if it was there I was told it wasn’t CURRENTLY. So hopefully that means it will be. However, I’m not sure it’s really necessary other than having it in there for completions sake, could then be said that full songs can be rendered all from within the app. It’s stupid easy to just load it into Audioshare and just queue the patterns by selecting them as Audioshare records. So yeah I dunno, would definitely be nice, but I don’t see it as a thing to stop me from getting full track length audio out.

• This thread belongs on page 1 ;)

• edited January 2018

@Lt_Core said:

@Iostress said:

@Lt_Core said:

@guidinglight said:

@Lt_Core said:

Step sequencers aren't always easiest thing to integrate in to a live show with other non-electronic musicians. You say 'our' live show. Do you have a drummer? If so he'll probably need a click if you're running sequences... You could pan something for click out of either L/R for him to play to and pan everything else the opposite.

Re integration in general. Besides obvs leaving rest of band space for their instruments. I guess just try to have fun with GR16 at rehearsals and alone and see if it works and adds to your overall sound in a way that fits and is worth the hassle. Should be able to do a bunch of stuff in GR16 that will be worth having going on though. Especially with the performance fx.

If you aren't going to perform live on GR16 (maybe hands busy with other instruments?) then maybe look elsewhere if you just wanna make stems tracks to pad out your live sound? And if things like parameter locks (changing a paramater per step) and trig conditions (the probability feature. having a step only trigger a certain % of passes.) don't really interest you at the moment then you might find other apps (linear sequencers that host AU) that offer you more for what you're looking for.

Also you're probably wise to it already but probably a good idea to have some empty patterns set up with sounds you think you wanna use already loaded to parts. That way your band doesn't have to wait around while you're browsing and loading. From experience that can turn a fun rehearsal sour pretty fast ;)

Edit - apologies if some of the above reads as patronising! Like the advice with Click for drummer etc. No idea of your band setup or where you guys are already at ;) Good luck with it all in any case :smile: )

• edited January 2018

Here’s an easy way to program the melody parts

Load daw/ midi sequencer of your choice into AB midi input

Load midi adaptor into AB midi output slot

Load grooverider into AB Audio input

Turn Grooveriders midi on source AB midi adapter mode poly

Save the set up in AB.

If you have one blank bar at the start of your sequence, then hit the record button in GR then the AB master start button GR will record the midi from your daw into the pad corresponding to the midi channel the daw is transmitting on.

This only works due to GR now having an AB start button so thanks again for implementing that

• edited January 2018

@jimpavloff said:

@Iostress said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@Iostress said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff Any plans in near future to give GR Auv3 status - that would be really good if in due time GR gets Auv3 implemented then can load multiple instances and record multi stems in a DAW or the AUM Mixer (check Beathawk) I been trying to think of a way to implement multi stem export for future updates - Recording live to seperate tracks in a DAW would be excellent way to expand GR into a full production tool-

Auv3 would limit many capabilities of GR, so I'd better think about how to export stems directly right out of GR.

Curious how would AUv3 limit GR16? I imagine dev has better things to do than to write lengthy explanation but maybe someone less busy can enlighten?

To someone like me with little understanding of the way things work below the surface, it seems like the GR16 UI is ideal for candidate for AU version? Looks almost 'made to measure' ;)

And with the arrival of midi AU (rozeta etc) I figured everything like Probability etc was kind of 'open' now and there was potential for AU's like GR16 that could be self contained instruments inside AU host without being forced to lose features?

Honest question, not trying to bait or belittle. Just curious why things like this wouldn't be possible now on ios and if people think they ever will be any time soon?

Au plugins cannot use more than 384 MB of ram across all shared instances. So it's quite crippling. Specially for a sampler. Midi doesn't need much ram. Unless apple removes the hard limit on ram usage you won't see heavy sample based AUx.

:( good old apple...

Wouldn't something like beathawk AUv3 use same/more ram than GR16 tho?

16sec limit on mono samples in GR16 and 16 per current pattern. I don't know what that calculates as but seems like not very much?

Altho I suppose the way that GR16 stores all samples to cache might be problematic if that entire cache requires to be constantly in ram? As opposed to current pattern only.

Im guessing its pretty clear I have almost zero idea what I'm talking about now :/ haha

I was planning to make AUv3 port of GR in future only for playing back sound/samples. I.e. no pads, no notes, no step sequencer, just a one part playback with one selected sound (part) per AU. Something like a "tone generator" that can be used to play one channel (part sound) of GR.

Disappointing, I thought this was as good a candidate as any for full screen AU.

• edited January 2018

@BiancaNeve said:

Save the set up in AB.

If you have one blank bar at the start of your sequence, then hit the record button in GR then the AB master start button GR will record the midi from your daw into the pad corresponding to the midi channel the daw is transmitting on.

This only works due to GR now having an AB start button so thanks again for implementing that

What would be even better is if we got IAA multi outs. @jimpavloff can we please get those ? Would love to add external effects or record stems in real-time in AUM....

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@BiancaNeve said:

Save the set up in AB.

What would be even better is if we got IAA multi outs. @jimpavloff can we please get those ? Would love to add external effects or record stems in real-time in AUM....

In the next update - pattern's stems export and pattern Ableton Live Set export!

• @jimpavloff said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@BiancaNeve said:

Save the set up in AB.

In the next update - pattern's stems export and pattern Ableton Live Set export!

https://media.giphy.com/media/8fen5LSZcHQ5O/giphy.gif

• The only limit with this app that I’m constantly running into is my imagination.

But on a more serious note, limiter on or off?

• @jimpavloff said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@BiancaNeve said:

Save the set up in AB.

Was a little overwhelmed with this app, but realized it was more by the intensity/duration/fierceness of this thread rather than the beast itself. Have spent an hour on the last several nights forgetting all the fiddling and just playing with it. Most pure fun I've had in a fair while. Really appreciate your patience, hard work and all round diligence on this one.