Skip to content

Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

Comments

• Does anyone have a song or video of making an entire song with the app?

Can you do sep sections and pick and chose which plays?

Essentially allowing for an intro outro verse chorus and interchanging them?

• Very nice Jim - I was having problems with 1 bar loops.

• edited February 2018

@RUST( i )K said:
    Does anyone have a song or video of making an entire song with the app?

Don’t have a video but yeah you can do all that. Maximum pattern/section length is 4 bars and you can just keep tweaking and saving to a new slot therefore building up different sections that you can then trigger in whatever order you want while recording into your audio app of choice or you can use the chain mode so you don’t have to worry about switching sections manually. I usually just do it manually. I guess that chain audio export might be coming in the future but I’ve had zero qualms or hiccups just recording into Audioshare

• @RUST( i )K said:

I did at least one whole song, but no video. It started with one pattern, where I just kept muting parts and jamming new ones until almost all the slots were taken up. After that it was just a process of copying the patterns and muting all but what I wanted in that section, and setting up the chain. I then ended up tweaking some of the individual patterns and jamming on them with the MFX and Arpeggio on the pad.

Out of all that I wanted for just one thing ... an auto-save option for patterns during chain playback. As it is, you have to turn off looping for each one, record your automation, save, go to the next. @jimpavloff - feature request. ;)

The end result is back here in the thread. https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/451003/#Comment_451003

• @jimpavloff May I suggest some extra user banks? I'd like a bank exclusively for designing/loading presets and another bank for arranging songs.

• @RUST( i )K said:

There are no step sections, but you could approach that pretty easily by setting up the starting patterns for each section all together, then your patterns for the different song sections later on.

For instance:
    Pattern 1: Starting pattern for intro - chains to pattern 10
    Pattern 2: Starting pattern for verse - chains to pattern 20-25
    Pattern 3: Starting pattern for chorus - chains to pattern 25-26
    Pattern 4: Starting pattern for bridge - chains to pattern 30-35
    Pattern 5: Starting pattern for outro - stop at end

Then all you need to do is pick between your starting patterns to trigger different parts of the song. You can also set up the last pattern of the verse to go to the chorus, etc. if you don't intervene, so that if you miss a change the song keeps going.

• This is all correct, but I still think the simplest way is to just make your patterns, keep changing, saving to new as you go, and then just trigger them in preferred order while recording wherever. Chain mode without auto save chain settings or chain audio export honestly just adds more work to set it up that you really don’t have to do

• @jimpavloff be good in a future update to have "pattern repeat " and choose how many repeats - usefull when chaining patterns

• @db909 said:

@RUST( i )K said:

Don’t have a video but yeah you can do all that. Maximum pattern/section length is 4 bars and you can just keep tweaking and saving to a new slot therefore building up different sections that you can then trigger in whatever order you want while recording into your audio app of choice or you can use the chain mode so you don’t have to worry about switching sections manually. I usually just do it manually. I guess that chain audio export might be coming in the future but I’ve had zero qualms or hiccups just recording into Audioshare

Jim mentioned to me that "chain audio export" is something he's been thinking about in a future update.

• @jimpavloff I know I mentioned in earlier post if you can update the sample edit window with numerical values when using the start / end trimming dials like all the other parameter dials/knobs.?

• @jimpavloff is it possible you can give the user the option to have the Master Send Fx i.e "bounce with Master Send FX" in the multi stem exported audio files in a future update - I really like the reverb on the Master Send Channel - Like when bouncing files in a DAW. No worries if not possible to code but that option would be good

• @stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff is it possible you can give the user the option to have the Master Send Fx i.e "bounce with Master Send FX" in the multi stem exported audio files in a future update - I really like the reverb on the Master Send Channel - Like when bouncing files in a DAW. No worries if not possible to code but that option would be good

The only way to include Send FX in the export stems, is to have one additional "Send FX" track exported. It would have Sent-sound from all 16 parts mixed into one single channel and processed with the "100% wet" send effect. Not sure yet about the benefit of this.

• @jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff is it possible you can give the user the option to have the Master Send Fx i.e "bounce with Master Send FX" in the multi stem exported audio files in a future update - I really like the reverb on the Master Send Channel - Like when bouncing files in a DAW. No worries if not possible to code but that option would be good

The only way to include Send FX in the export stems, is to have one additional "Send FX" track exported. It would have Sent-sound from all 16 parts mixed into one single channel and processed with the "100% wet" send effect. Not sure yet about the benefit of this.

ok no probs thanks for info

• @stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff be good in a future update to have "pattern repeat " and choose how many repeats - usefull when chaining patterns

"Chain Repeat" parameter is already there)

• @jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff be good in a future update to have "pattern repeat " and choose how many repeats - usefull when chaining patterns

"Chain Repeat" parameter is already there)

ok cool -

• edited February 2018

@stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff I know I mentioned in earlier post if you can update the sample edit window with numerical values when using the start / end trimming dials like all the other parameter dials/knobs.?

I'm curious, what would it give to you (the value between 0.001 and 0.999) ?

• @jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff I know I mentioned in earlier post if you can update the sample edit window with numerical values when using the start / end trimming dials like all the other parameter dials/knobs.?

I'm curious, what would it give to you (the value between 0.001 and 0.999) ? I mean other than just to cover the sample editor waveform view, which is more informative than these numbers?

• @jimpavloff said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

I'm curious, what would it give to you (the value between 0.001 and 0.999) ? I mean other than just to cover the sample editor waveform view, which is more informative than these numbers?

I think @stormbeats wants the seconds/beats information presented in BM3s sample editor.

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@jimpavloff said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

I think @stormbeats wants the seconds/beats information presented in BM3s sample editor.

@LucidMusicInc @jimpavloff yep - reason being I want to do the Haas effect where I can put the same sample on 2 pads then shift the start of one same by a few milliseconds after that can pan one pad left the other right creating a wide stereo image - now that is where the number values of the sample trim come in handy as once I worked out a good stereo image can then remember the start of sample (number values)its an old trick often used on mono samples

• @stormbeats said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@jimpavloff said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

@LucidMusicInc @jimpavloff yep - reason being I want to do the Haas effect where I can put the same sample on 2 pads then shift the start of one same by a few milliseconds after that can pan one pad left the other right creating a wide stereo image - now that is where the number values of the sample trim come in handy as once I worked out a good stereo image can then remember the start of sample (number values)its an old trick often used on mono samples

+1

• @stormbeats said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@jimpavloff said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

Also the "number values" are good for doing really tight syncopated drum sequencing

• edited February 2018

@LucidMusicInc said:

@stormbeats said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@jimpavloff said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

+1

@LucidMusicInc cool you get what I'am saying - much prefer this method than any "stereoizer" plugin or "stereo reverb" - much more control- I often use this method then add another of the same sample on a 3rd pad keeping it at center pan to control the "phase" and also sound balance - makes the "mono" sample sound really full.

• @stormbeats said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@jimpavloff said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

Actually I was thinking about how to implement this effect as an additional IFX, but did not found a way how to do it without rebuilding the audio engine. Will leave it for the future

• @jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@jimpavloff said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

Actually I was thinking about how to implement this effect as an additional IFX, but did not found a way how to do it without rebuilding the audio engine. Will leave it for the future

@jimpavloff cool though I think the HaaS trick is better and gives more control and balance options with the Pan - you can do it Jim - give us those sample trim number values even if as an option in settings.
    :-) I will make GR sound like the beats are mixed on an SSL Console
    Peace

• A quick way to fake a wide stereo image for a mono sample is to phase-invert the other channel.
    (In BM3 this can be done using the Layer Effects).

Since GR-16 uses mono-samples it could be an option in the 'part settings'(ie. phase invert sample).
    This way it would be possible to load the same sample onto two pads, pan the pads left and right and phase invert one of the 'parts'.

For synthesis this is also pretty neat... (mixing wave-forms from two parts etc.).

• edited February 2018

@Samu said:
    A quick way to fake a wide stereo image for a mono sample is to phase-invert the other channel.
    (In BM3 this can be done using the Layer Effects).

Since GR-16 uses mono-samples it could be an option in the 'part settings'(ie. phase invert sample).
    This way it would be possible to load the same sample onto two pads, pan the pads left and right and phase invert one of the 'parts'.

For synthesis this is also pretty neat... (mixing wave-forms from two parts etc.).

@samu not knocking your suggestion but for me much more "widening" control by time shifting one of the samples it involves "panning" giving much option - just load sample to 2 pads shift the start in trim mode of one sample in however milliseconds you feel then pan till you feel the 2 panned L/R pads sound right to how you want them - export the now mono to stereo sample then re import to a pad - done - slice away -and if down the line you want to re manipulate the image the 2 pads used prior to resampling can be unmuted and re manipulated.

• can’t you just use the time shift and do it by ear? Not every mix will be the same anyway

• @db909 said:

no not every mix is the same but it's how I work with sample stereo manipulation
    It's not a bad idea you suggested though - will see how that "pans" out - still would be good to have number values in the sample window for more reasons than one.

• @stormbeats said:

@db909 said:

no not every mix is the same but it's how I work with sample stereo manipulation
    It's not a bad idea you suggested though - will see how that "pans" out - still would be good to have number values in the sample window for more reasons than one.

@db909 dude you are a scientist works perfect nice one dude

• @stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@db909 said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@db909 said:

@db909 got a nice stereo image going on using the time shift in the Parts window - just double checking for any sample drifting - peace