Skip to content

Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

Comments

• Here’s what I’m rocking currently:

• edited February 2018

Holy shit. The new skin editor is BONKERS!
    @jimpavloff you really went overboard man! :D

• @wim said:
    Besides just being awesome and fun as hell to use and to jam with, GrooveRider is quickly becoming the best composing tool I have.

By that I mean for generating ideas quickly, with minimum hassle. With the added step conditions, it gets to a whole new level as one of the best sequencers as well. I prefer putting things together myself more than relying only on loops and apps like GarageBand drummer and the Luis Martinez apps. I use them due to lack of time, but am never completely happy with the results (not due to any fault of the apps - I'm just more of a control freak I guess). Being able to create the base patterns, then dial in some controlled randomness is perfect. Rozeta excels at this as well, but with a bit less control.

I'm finding though that if I want to take things to completion in the genre's I usually work, I end up re-sequencing those ideas in something else to use other plugins. So here's my vote for midi-out. I don't care at all about import, though I can see why people would want that.

If it never comes, I'm so more than happy with this app, that it would be ridiculous to be disappointed. But if it does, it's probably going to be the starting point for just about everything I do.

I agree 100% with what you wrote - question how will midi out be able to process the audio from GR via plugins for processing audio in another app i.e Auria Pro/Cubasis etc - would midi out be just note data as opposed to audio data. Or did you mean using GR as a sound module to be triggered in another app/daw?

• @Kkani said:
    Jim says will add MIDI import if he gets more requests.Please do ask.

Requested... Both Import and Export....... Please... Willing to pay. Thank you..

• edited February 2018

@wim said:
    Besides just being awesome and fun as hell to use and to jam with, GrooveRider is quickly becoming the best composing tool I have.

By that I mean for generating ideas quickly, with minimum hassle. With the added step conditions, it gets to a whole new level as one of the best sequencers as well. I prefer putting things together myself more than relying only on loops and apps like GarageBand drummer and the Luis Martinez apps. I use them due to lack of time, but am never completely happy with the results (not due to any fault of the apps - I'm just more of a control freak I guess). Being able to create the base patterns, then dial in some controlled randomness is perfect. Rozeta excels at this as well, but with a bit less control.

I'm finding though that if I want to take things to completion in the genre's I usually work, I end up re-sequencing those ideas in something else to use other plugins. So here's my vote for midi-out. I don't care at all about import, though I can see why people would want that.

If it never comes, I'm so more than happy with this app, that it would be ridiculous to be disappointed. But if it does, it's probably going to be the starting point for just about everything I do.

I guess you don't use apps like Odesi which can give you a solid start idea with its midi export. I can only imagine importing an Odesi midi project into GR16..... Chords, Basslines, Drum, and Lead and ... well, you got the idea... Midi import (as well as Export) will be golden.

• @stormbeats said:

@wim said:

I agree 100% with what you wrote - question how will midi out be able to process the audio from GR via plugins for processing audio in another app i.e Auria Pro/Cubasis etc - would midi out be just note data as opposed to audio data. Or did you mean using GR as a sound module to be triggered in another app/daw?

Midi is note and parameter data only, not audio. With midi out, at least the notes (and hopefully the parameters too) would be output to other apps for processing. This would include both playing the plugins themselves, and recording the midi data in the host in the case of Auria Pro, Cubasis, BM3, or Gadget.

The main reasons I would love to see midi-out are to expand the options beyond onboard sounds, and to be able to more easily arrange resulting midi clips into songs and to edit them.

GR is already able to act as an IAA sound module in host apps, so that's already squared away.

• edited February 2018

Sure it is already IAA - but 16 IAA outputs would make it a monster for recording what you perform live.
    And then you could always do an EFX track where you tweak whatever you have going to the XY pad.
    In two sittings - instead of 17 - or sequencing bounced loops. Depends of how you like to work, but for me it would be a nice addition to the existing workflows on IOS.

Midi out would also be a cool feature, opening up the app - would probaly use it to laver pads myself - but sign me up for midi out.

I really like the new look (Helvetica! or whatever it is) and the new knobs are so cool - but I would like them all to be the same colour. The white and yellow ones are not so nice - I understand the logic behind the colour coding, but I don’t need it anymore - guess all i want is the play button to go green when it’s runnning and everythingelse in black and red. But that is being terribly nitpickyish. It looks great, sounds great and 1 bar loop chaining is working.

Thanks for listening .

• @NTKK said:
    Sure it is already IAA - but 16 IAA outputs would make it a monster for recording what you perform live.
    And then you could always do an EFX track where you tweak whatever you have going to the XY pad.
    In two sittings - instead of 17 - or sequencing bounced loops. Depends of how you like to work, but for me it would be a nice addition to the existing workflows on IOS.

Midi out would also be a cool feature, opening up the app - would probaly use it to laver pads myself - but sign me up for midi out.

I really like the new look (Helvetica! or whatever it is) and the new knobs are so cool - but I would like them all to be the same colour. The white and yellow ones are not so nice - I understand the logic behind the colour coding, but I don’t need it anymore - guess all i want is the play button to go green when it’s runnning and everythingelse in black and red. But that is being terribly nitpickyish. It looks great, sounds great and 1 bar loop chaining is working.

Thanks for listening .

What keeps me from making 16 IAA audio outputs for now is that it will be impossible to use MFX with such setup. MFX is applied to the master mix, and cannot be applied to each of 16 parts separately. In this situation, you would get 16 pre-MFX parts outputs, just like in Stems export. So, there's not so much benefit of using 16 IAA realtime outputs in GR.

• @NTKK said:

Thanks for listening .

@jimpavloff @NTKK yep if GR get 16 IAA outputs would be a treat

• @stormbeats said:

@wim said:

From Wikipedia:

"MIDI (/ˈmɪdi/; short for Musical Instrument Digital Interface) is a technical standard that describes a communications protocol, digital interface, and electrical connectors and allows a wide variety of electronic musical instruments, computers and other related music and audio devices to connect and communicate with one another.[1] A single MIDI link can carry up to sixteen channels of information, each of which can be routed to a separate device.

MIDI carries event messages that specify notation, pitch and velocity (loudness or softness), control signals for parameters such as volume, vibrato, audio panning from left to right, cues in theatre, and clock signals that set and synchronize tempo between multiple devices. These messages are sent via a MIDI cable to other devices where they control sound generation and other features. A simple example of a MIDI setup is the use of a MIDI controller such as an electronic musical keyboard to trigger sounds created by a sound module, which is in turn plugged into a keyboard amplifier. This MIDI data can also be recorded into a hardware or software device called a sequencer, which can be used to edit the data and to play it back at a later time.[2]:4"

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@stormbeats said:

@wim said:

From Wikipedia:

"MIDI (/ˈmɪdi/; short for Musical Instrument Digital Interface) is a technical standard that describes a communications protocol, digital interface, and electrical connectors and allows a wide variety of electronic musical instruments, computers and other related music and audio devices to connect and communicate with one another.[1] A single MIDI link can carry up to sixteen channels of information, each of which can be routed to a separate device.

MIDI carries event messages that specify notation, pitch and velocity (loudness or softness), control signals for parameters such as volume, vibrato, audio panning from left to right, cues in theatre, and clock signals that set and synchronize tempo between multiple devices. These messages are sent via a MIDI cable to other devices where they control sound generation and other features. A simple example of a MIDI setup is the use of a MIDI controller such as an electronic musical keyboard to trigger sounds created by a sound module, which is in turn plugged into a keyboard amplifier. This MIDI data can also be recorded into a hardware or software device called a sequencer, which can be used to edit the data and to play it back at a later time.[2]:4"

@LucidMusicInc most importantly it has a 5pin connection - you forgot that bit eh.

• @jimpavloff any chance we could get midi import and midi out ? This app is magic :D

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    @jimpavloff any chance we could get midi import and midi out ? This app is magic :D

@jimpavloff

I'd prefer MIDI Sync first to be honest. GR-16 is made for making music, so I never felt like importing midi files would help realizing my ideas.

I love the idea to be able to use GR-16 with other stuff - another iPad, iPhone or any elektron/AKAI/Yamaha/Roland/Korg sequencer, as they only offer MIDI to interface with.
    MIDI notes and CC in/out is a very useful thing too.

• Any ideas for a bundle special price for Poison-202 owners?

• @stormbeats said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@stormbeats said:

@wim said:

From Wikipedia:

@LucidMusicInc most importantly it has a 5pin connection - you forgot that bit eh.

Well it has a 5pin connection, except when it has a usb connection or when it has a 3.5mm jackplug connection. (Other connections like BT midi may be available)

• edited February 2018

@rs2000 said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:
    @jimpavloff any chance we could get midi import and midi out ? This app is magic :D

@jimpavloff

I'd prefer MIDI Sync first to be honest. GR-16 is made for making music, so I never felt like importing midi files would help realizing my ideas.

I love the idea to be able to use GR-16 with other stuff - another iPad, iPhone or any elektron/AKAI/Yamaha/Roland/Korg sequencer, as they only offer MIDI to interface with.
    MIDI notes and CC in/out is a very useful thing too.

We've got LINK and IAA Sync. Depending on your set up you should get the click and start/stop synced up through Audiobus 3. I have had some success at least.

With Link and a wifi connection you can link up two iPads. To get external gear syncing, maybe not so easy yet.

• Hello!

Newbie question here exploring GR-16 and sound synthesis in general: when selecting waveforms there are some abbreviations I haven´t come across before. I am sure experienced people get what they are right away but I don´t understand what they mean pure and simple and I don´t get what they "do" or "add" if selected. There are no explanations for them in the manual either and I can´t figure them out. Anyone wanna shed some light please?

It´s open goal here people, probably just bad luck in my thinking:-).

10ct
    20ct
    Sync
    Ring
    Xfm
    Harmonic

Regards,
    DMfan

• @LucidMusicInc said:
    With Link and a wifi connection you can link up two iPads. To get external gear syncing, maybe not so easy yet.

That's exactly the point.

• edited February 2018

@rs2000 said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

That’s exactly what

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/link-to-midi/id1066216595?mt=8

Is for

• edited February 2018

@jimpavloff any chance of getting group or or linked faders in the mixer window?
    Also are there Global controls or a way of copying parameter and volume pad settings from one pattern to another - useful when you build up lots of different chained patterns and set the right parameters/volumes in a pattern and need to set the same volumes/parameter into all or selected patterns in the chain - ?

• @alecsbuga said:

Agreed!

• Somewhat, but if you know how LINK works you know why it's no replacement for native Midi Clock and SPP/STATUS support inside the app.

• @jimpavloff or anyone on here is there a way to multi select notes to edit simultaneously in the edit window
    Thanks in advance

• @rs2000 said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@DMfan said:
    Hello!

Newbie question here exploring GR-16 and sound synthesis in general: when selecting waveforms there are some abbreviations I haven´t come across before. I am sure experienced people get what they are right away but I don´t understand what they mean pure and simple and I don´t get what they "do" or "add" if selected. There are no explanations for them in the manual either and I can´t figure them out. Anyone wanna shed some light please?

10ct
    20ct
    Sync
    Ring
    Xfm
    Harmonic

Regards,
    DMfan

Stick me in the noob category too, I have no clue either but I do know this thing swallows up my commute and is in my “potential missed train stop” folder.

The skin customisation thing goes above and beyond.

+1 for MIDI out thing, obviously. Will pay happily ...

• @gusgranite said:

@alecsbuga said:

Agreed!

• @stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff or anyone on here is there a way to multi select notes to edit simultaneously in the edit window
    Thanks in advance

Not currently, but I was thinking about this handy feature to implement.

• edited February 2018

@rs2000 said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@DMfan said:
    Hello!

10ct
    20ct
    Sync
    Ring
    Xfm
    Harmonic

Regards,
    DMfan

Stick me in the noob category too, I have no clue either but I do know this thing swallows up my commute and is in my “potential missed train stop” folder.

1,2 oct=1 or two octaves,
    Ring modulation
    Cross frequency modulation?
    Harmonics

What works for me is to use the jog wheel to kind of fly through the oscillators while tweaking the edit buttons until I land on something I like. I wouldn’t overthink it beyond just learning synthesis, the workflow is pretty simple

• @TheVimFuego said:

@rs2000 said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@DMfan said:
    Hello!

10ct
    20ct
    Sync
    Ring
    Xfm
    Harmonic

Regards,
    DMfan

Something like that:
    1Oct: two oscillators, detuned +/- 1 octave range maximum;
    2Oct: two oscillators, detuned +/- 2 octaves range maximum;
    Sync: one oscillator is modulated by the second using Sync modulation
    Ring: ring modulation used
    Xfm: one oscillator is modulated by the second using Xfm (cross-fm) modulation
    Harmonic: two oscillators, one is main and the second's oscillator's pitch is tuned to be a harmonic of the 1st oscillators pitch.

• @Samu
    Is that invert effect that’s on Beatmaker 3 that you alluded to available on Grooverider 16 ( stereo effect on mono samples).

• @Telstar5 said:
    @Samu
    Is that invert effect that’s on Beatmaker 3 that you alluded to available on Grooverider 16 ( stereo effect on mono samples).

Yepp, BM3 has both a 'phase invert'(Phase invert L &/ R) and Stereo Widener(0-400%) effects built-in.

These kind of effects should be used with care as they make mono-mixdown a bit problematic as the sounds can 'disappear' due to phase cancellation...