Skip to content

Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

Comments

• edited February 2018

That shift to new pattern option is awesome! So cool cause it keeps te creative flow going! Of course I’m building Oman existing pattern but delete here and there, tweak, add here and there and soon it’s all mine!!! :D:#

• edited February 2018

@RJB said:
    I agree, @MusicMan4Christ, i’ve asked Jim about the possibility of using the Arp&Scale modes on the touchpad while in the Chords sections, he didn’t say it I was impossible. :p

I don’t understand. As has been said, you can use arpeg mode to both play arpeggios of chords you hold down in chord mode on the pads (or anything you play on the pads) or just rhythmic triggers of said chords if you set it to trigger. Arpeg and scale mode together is just Figure style melodic lines. The only thing you can’t do, which would be cool I guess, is have Chord mode available on the touchpad, to just play the chords normally but on the touchpad. So what are you trying to do?

• I’m good with the way it is currently. ;)

Maybe I quoted the wrong post. :#

@db909 said:

@RJB said:
    I agree, @MusicMan4Christ, i’ve asked Jim about the possibility of using the Arp&Scale modes on the touchpad while in the Chords sections, he didn’t say it I was impossible. :p

I don’t understand. As has been said, you can use arpeg mode to both play arpeggios of chords you hold down in chord mode on the pads (or anything you play on the pads) or just rhythmic triggers of said chords if you set it to trigger. Arpeg and scale mode together is just Figure style melodic lines. The only thing you can’t do, which would be cool I guess, is have Chord mode available on the touchpad, to just play the chords normally but on the touchpad. So what are you trying to do?

• :( I'm not a fan of hidden features even if I learn them a short cut key combo should still be available in the standard menu system for new users and easily distracted users. @jimpavloff please consider putting the pattern write functions into the pattern menu screen so we can access those functions the traditional way.

• @MusicMan4Christ I was quoting the other guy who quoted you, sorry for the confusion

@LucidMusicInc i don’t know why you would prefer to go menu diving than learn a simple command which I can pull off on my tiny iPhone in less than a second, but I suppose it wouldn’t be strange to have those functions in there ALSO.

• @db909 said:
    @MusicMan4Christ I was quoting the other guy who quoted you, sorry for the confusion

@LucidMusicInc i don’t know why you would prefer to go menu diving than learn a simple command which I can pull off on my tiny iPhone in less than a second, but I suppose it wouldn’t be strange to have those functions in there ALSO.

One handed playing is one reason.

• No worries ;)
    I agree once you get used to the simple shift write method, I would never go menu digging; it’s pretty full in there but in a good way! So many items which are truly useful!

@db909 said:
    @MusicMan4Christ I was quoting the other guy who quoted you, sorry for the confusion

• @db909 said:

@RJB said:

Yes, the same way you get interesting runs from the touchpad with Arpeg & Scale without touching any pads I wonder if we could get the same thing with Chords selected instead.

• That makes sense. <3o:):)

@LucidMusicInc said:

@db909 said:

One handed playing is one reason.

• edited February 2018

I don’t know if this has been said or asked before, but you know once in a while When I edit the sequencer I double tap on the LCD thinking it’s goona open up to a reg note matrix ala Gadget or Groovebox for note editing and stuff. Wond r if anyone has had this happen. :#

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Re the folders... once a sample is imported in the pattern it's stored in the app. The user sample folder ought to be seen as a temporary folder. We had this conversation at great length about 300 posts back. I can't speak for Jim but your best option is to use AudioShare and import directly to the part rather than adding stuff to the user folder.

• @Dawdles said:
    Nice app, thanks @jimpavloff

A lot of fun for sketching out ideas on the go.

However I’m having significant difficulty integrating it in to my overall workflow down to lack of separate audio stems of a full performance.

Loop and loop chain export doesn’t really cut it because it doesn’t contain all the song performance improv like ‘jump’ mode, arpeggio and (non-automated) parameter movements and so on. Things that are performed over the top of patterns with probability and parameter locks going on too. Any news on a solution for this? Full AU version functionality? (This makes most sense..odd to see an app like this coming out now without AU option.)... Separate audio outputs? Internal 16 track recorder? Performance recorder that internally records midi of a performance and can then play it back and solo track/s to track individual stems out? Any of these would be ok...

I don’t mind losing the gr16 fx if that’s the trade off. If I’m honest I find them quite limiting in general and would rather export stems to desktop where I can have individual insert reverbs per track and much more control over delay/sound design parameters, much more choice of fx and so on. I am a fan of the gr16 master fx though, would love to see this sold also as a separate AU? But I’m not sure these fx are possible without samples being stored inside the Gr16 engine for manipulation?

Also I really need to work in ‘projects’. Per song. Per live set. Can we have the option to create and name pattern banks to enable this kind of functionality?

It would also be great to be able to save a ‘sound’ (sample/synth + gr16 paramaters) and have these user sounds browseable to load in to future patterns. Frustrating/strange not to have this function.

Can we please have the ability to import and browse nested folders? I can’t see the reasoning behind the current limitation. It makes housekeeping and browsing a total nightmare!

Thanks for listening!

Yes, from your list I have plans to make 16 multi audio outs and user preset patches storing. I also was thinking about possibility to make an AU, but more probable that it would be a one-channel AU (one sound per AU) without sequencer functions, and maybe a separate AU with only sequencer and no sounds. But it still not even on a paper.

• edited February 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Dawdles said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Dawdles said:

However I’m having significant difficulty integrating it in to my overall workflow down to lack of separate audio stems of a full performance.

Loop and loop chain export doesn’t really cut it because it doesn’t contain all the song performance improv like ‘jump’ mode, arpeggio and (non-automated) parameter movements and so on. Things that are performed over the top of patterns with probability and parameter locks going on too. Any news on a solution for this? Full AU version functionality? (This makes most sense..odd to see an app like this coming out now without AU option.)... Separate audio outputs? Internal 16 track recorder? Performance recorder that internally records midi of a performance and can then play it back and solo track/s to track individual stems out? Any of these would be ok...

I don’t mind losing the gr16 fx if that’s the trade off. If I’m honest I find them quite limiting in general and would rather export stems to desktop where I can have individual insert reverbs per track and much more control over delay/sound design parameters, much more choice of fx and so on. I am a fan of the gr16 master fx though, would love to see this sold also as a separate AU? But I’m not sure these fx are possible without samples being stored inside the Gr16 engine for manipulation?

Also I really need to work in ‘projects’. Per song. Per live set. Can we have the option to create and name pattern banks to enable this kind of functionality?

It would also be great to be able to save a ‘sound’ (sample/synth + gr16 paramaters) and have these user sounds browseable to load in to future patterns. Frustrating/strange not to have this function.

Can we please have the ability to import and browse nested folders? I can’t see the reasoning behind the current limitation. It makes housekeeping and browsing a total nightmare!

Thanks for listening!

Yes, from your list I have plans to make 16 multi audio outs and user preset patches storing. I also was thinking about possibility to make an AU, but more probable that it would be a one-channel AU (one sound per AU) without sequencer functions, and maybe a separate AU with only sequencer and no sounds. But it still not even on a paper.

Excellent! Separate outputs and user presets will be great.

Regarding the AU. Is there a reason to only make split versions like you mention? Sound vs Sequencer? These individual spin-off AU’s would be great, very useful and I’d buy them. But they would be used for quite different scenarios and wouldn’t really solve the problem of integrating GR16 patterns and performance in to iOS daw?

Full AUv3 that was also automatable from within daws like Cubasis and Beatmaker 3 would be the ideal creative option imho. Best of both worlds and a streamlined creative environment. The same way that Maschine or Geist are hostable as VST inside desktop Daws. It’s the tidiest solution for anyone wanting to use GR16 for some elements of a song while using other softsynths, samplers, audio tracks, hardware in unison within one environment...It seems that AUv3 is becoming iOS standard now, making the workflow much closer to desktop for convenience + stability...It would be a shame to see GR16 not playing nicely with the other kids in that playground...

Regarding the full sized AU, there are too many limitations of current AUv3 implementation which would lead to a completely another product with lots of changes in the workflow, which is far beyond the scope of current concept of Groove Rider.

• @jimpavloff said:

@Dawdles said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Dawdles said:

Thanks for listening!

Excellent! Separate outputs and user presets will be great.

Regarding the AU. Is there a reason to only make split versions like you mention? Sound vs Sequencer? These individual spin-off AU’s would be great, very useful and I’d buy them. But they would be used for quite different scenarios and wouldn’t really solve the problem of integrating GR16 patterns and performance in to iOS daw?

Full AUv3 that was also automatable from within daws like Cubasis and Beatmaker 3 would be the ideal creative option imho. Best of both worlds and a streamlined creative environment. The same way that Maschine or Geist are hostable as VST inside desktop Daws. It’s the tidiest solution for anyone wanting to use GR16 for some elements of a song while using other softsynths, samplers, audio tracks, hardware in unison within one environment...It seems that AUv3 is becoming iOS standard now, making the workflow much closer to desktop for convenience + stability...It would be a shame to see GR16 not playing nicely with the other kids in that playground...

Regarding the full sized AU, there are too many limitations of current AUv3 implementation which would lead to a completely another product with lots of changes in the workflow, which is far beyond the scope of current concept of Groove Rider.

Any chance that a cut down AU extension for the current app is still on the cards? I would love to have the fast and easy sound creation of this app as AU sounds for BM3 (would buy IAP to get it if needed). Would also buy the sound engine alone as another app too.

• Is it just me but there’s been so many features added now that I feel I’m missing things and not using the app as much now as when it came out and was FUN.

• @Dawdles said:

@BiancaNeve said:
    Is it just me but there’s been so many features added now that I feel I’m missing things and not using the app as much now as when it came out and was FUN.

I suppose just use what you need to and ignore the rest? I haven’t seen any new features added that have interfered with the original workflow or caused any concern relating to the fun factor.. the opposite in fact - the more the merrier.

Personally I think the dev has done a decent job of making sure the new stuff hasn’t ruined the simplicity of the app. I was worried if he’d taken on board all suggestions the app may change, but so far, it’s business as usual from my perspective.

• edited February 2018

@Dawdles said:

@LucidMusicInc said:
    Re the folders... once a sample is imported in the pattern it's stored in the app. The user sample folder ought to be seen as a temporary folder. We had this conversation at great length about 300 posts back. I can't speak for Jim but your best option is to use AudioShare and import directly to the part rather than adding stuff to the user folder.

Thanks. Long forum topic to read through! Still doesn’t make sense to me to not be able to group sample folders inside of folders, regardless of the storage setup.

I’ve been importing samples gradually over a few weeks and often now I have to browse down past 100+ folders in the browser..And this will just get worse the longer I’m adding samples.. seems quite ridiculous/uneccesary? Feels like I’m using a calculator watch, not a 2017 iPad ;)

I've got nearly 300 samples inside Gadget, which if you haven't used it has the exact same folder structure or lack thereof. The way I have learned to deal with the problem is as I have mentioned, come up with some kind of naming convention and keep your samples archived in AudioShare. Import them into the app one by one and save them like they were presets.

The big storage capacity iPads are a fairly recent development which is why file management in iOS is still crap, unless you have AudioShare. Maybe we'll see things improve over time... but I'm not holding my breath.

• @Dawdles said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@Dawdles said:

@LucidMusicInc said:
    Re the folders... once a sample is imported in the pattern it's stored in the app. The user sample folder ought to be seen as a temporary folder. We had this conversation at great length about 300 posts back. I can't speak for Jim but your best option is to use AudioShare and import directly to the part rather than adding stuff to the user folder.

Thanks. Long forum topic to read through! Still doesn’t make sense to me to not be able to group sample folders inside of folders, regardless of the storage setup.

I’ve been importing samples gradually over a few weeks and often now I have to browse down past 100+ folders in the browser..And this will just get worse the longer I’m adding samples.. seems quite ridiculous/uneccesary? Feels like I’m using a calculator watch, not a 2017 iPad ;)

I've got nearly 300 samples inside Gadget, which if you haven't used it has the exact same folder structure or lack thereof. The way I have learned to deal with the problem is as I have mentioned, come up with some kind of naming convention and keep your samples archived in AudioShare. Import them into the app one by one and save them like they were presets.

Thanks for the tip on the workaround. Feels like something that shouldn’t really require workarounds and constant external imports though? It’s just folders in a browser, seems like a staple basic feature for software like gr16?

You can read the earlier parts of this thread. It's been discussed extensively.

• The idea of having a seperate au sequencer and sound modules is quite exciting, it would be very flexible: imagine having one sequencer controlling groove rider drums, au synths and external hardware, all hosted in AUM. It would keep those who want midi out happy, those who want individual channels for groove rider happy and those who only use au happy. One of the best things about groove rider is that it is super tight and rock solid, as is AUM.

But you should charge us for the extra work involved in any major update, you seem to be swamped by constant feature requests from everybody but have already produced an amazing app that is good enough to produce whole albums and live sets with and is actually better than the hardware that inspired it!

I had better get back to my bonfire before the snow puts it out :smile:

• @LucidMusicInc said:
    :( I'm not a fan of hidden features even if I learn them a short cut key combo should still be available in the standard menu system for new users and easily distracted users. @jimpavloff please consider putting the pattern write functions into the pattern menu screen so we can access those functions the traditional way.

I agree.

I have enough happening with making music and performing things to think about secret handshakes and double tap with a twist shit.

Maybe consider putting a second page that is MIDI learnable knobs? Sort of the idea of GlitchBreaks.
    Put all controls out side of immediate sound stuff on one page. I am not sure the idea this has to be crammed on one page is so important.

Why not add a sequencer(piano roll) on one page.
    Fx suite on another
    etc..

Crazy idea I mean AB remote options to do so, or LEMUR template, or just MIDI learn.

I have meant to post this about this app for a minute, but resisted.

I love Jim's work.

I never heard a developer represent my interests more in house music. I am a product of the Soundfactory, Limelight, Twilo, and the Tunnel. Jim's approach and taste of musical genre is so dead on it is scary.

But...I say this with all do respect, this app is not "fun" to use for me.

I know it may be a bitch thing on my part, but, it just is like dealing with iElectribe. Circa 1990's..........

I get the music style is from the 1990's but the interface ...........ahhh. ummmm.......hmmmm

Frankly, with all the new drag and drop stuff and so man things happening, this app is not actually getting the GUI it deserves at this point.

The app itself concept and music sounds / quality is a fucking 11 on a 1 to 10 scale.

But the interface, and the constant new "features" or "controls" just make me turn away a bit.

There are so many easier ways to present this stuff to users.

I realize Jim I trying to keep up with the feedback and make everyone happy, but maybe Jim should tell all of us to STFU and rework this interface that it represents the amazing music production capacity that is there.

Stay away from "shift" type features and "simultaneously" press blah blah......

People are inherently lazy and stupid.

Many other people are total nuts obsessed with the music they make.

As soon as an app "takes brain energy" to do things that are done a lot easier in other formats, it will limit the appeal and usefulness of the app.

Instead of an image of piano roll jammed in the box, but a true sequencer on another page.
    Make the EQ 1 page
    This type of stuff.

I love the app and hope that Jim tweaks the interface to make it feel like the amazing app that I know it is.

• @RUST( i )K said:

@LucidMusicInc said:
    :( I'm not a fan of hidden features even if I learn them a short cut key combo should still be available in the standard menu system for new users and easily distracted users. @jimpavloff please consider putting the pattern write functions into the pattern menu screen so we can access those functions the traditional way.

I agree.

I have enough happening with making music and performing things to think about secret handshakes and double tap with a twist shit.

Maybe consider putting a second page that is MIDI learnable knobs? Sort of the idea of GlitchBreaks.
    Put all controls out side of immediate sound stuff on one page. I am not sure the idea this has to be crammed on one page is so important.

Why not add a sequencer(piano roll) on one page.
    Fx suite on another
    etc..

Crazy idea I mean AB remote options to do so, or LEMUR template, or just MIDI learn.

I have meant to post this about this app for a minute, but resisted.

I love Jim's work.

I never heard a developer represent my interests more in house music. I am a product of the Soundfactory, Limelight, Twilo, and the Tunnel. Jim's approach and taste of musical genre is so dead on it is scary.

But...I say this with all do respect, this app is not "fun" to use for me.

I know it may be a bitch thing on my part, but, it just is like dealing with iElectribe. Circa 1990's..........

I get the music style is from the 1990's but the interface ...........ahhh. ummmm.......hmmmm

Frankly, with all the new drag and drop stuff and so man things happening, this app is not actually getting the GUI it deserves at this point.

The app itself concept and music sounds / quality is a fucking 11 on a 1 to 10 scale.

But the interface, and the constant new "features" or "controls" just make me turn away a bit.

There are so many easier ways to present this stuff to users.

I realize Jim I trying to keep up with the feedback and make everyone happy, but maybe Jim should tell all of us to STFU and rework this interface that it represents the amazing music production capacity that is there.

Stay away from "shift" type features and "simultaneously" press blah blah......

People are inherently lazy and stupid.

Many other people are total nuts obsessed with the music they make.

As soon as an app "takes brain energy" to do things that are done a lot easier in other formats, it will limit the appeal and usefulness of the app.

Instead of an image of piano roll jammed in the box, but a true sequencer on another page.
    Make the EQ 1 page
    This type of stuff.

I love the app and hope that Jim tweaks the interface to make it feel like the amazing app that I know it is.

No, you are wrong - it’s a 12 on a scale of 1 to 10 lol

• @Dawdles said:

@ZackDelta said:
    The idea of having a seperate au sequencer and sound modules is quite exciting, it would be very flexible: imagine having one sequencer controlling groove rider drums, au synths and external hardware, all hosted in AUM. It would keep those who want midi out happy, those who want individual channels for groove rider happy and those who only use au happy. One of the best things about groove rider is that it is super tight and rock solid, as is AUM.

But you should charge us for the extra work involved in any major update, you seem to be swamped by constant feature requests from everybody but have already produced an amazing app that is good enough to produce whole albums and live sets with and is actually better than the hardware that inspired it!

I had better get back to my bonfire before the snow puts it out :smile:

I don’t mind paying IAP if needed. But from a certain perspective then I/O for audio/midi and midi learn is something that could understandably have been expected to be there from v1. If comparing it to the current routing options of similar software. I’m not saying it ‘should’ have been there, sometimes it’s nice to get the product out there ahead of everything being in place, but separate audio tracks/midi learn etc are bread and butter features in modern software production. Not sure they really warrant an IAP...

I'm not a fan of making IAP's from the optional functions of the app. I planned to do an IAP's, maybe, only for additional sample banks, pattern and patch presets (for a certain music style), but now it is only an idea since I'm not sure yet it will be on demand by users.