Skip to content

Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited February 2018

@jimpavloff

Just an idea to throw out there:

On the Electribe EMX there was a song mode which allowed you to pretty much stay on the one machine and "craft" your song in increments.

Song mode allows you to record automations that are only for the song mode so you could have a pattern repeat but on the second repeat it would have some tweak you record in during song mode, for instance.

It is like an advanced pattern chaining.

See this video for an explanation: (Don't think is shows the motion recording, though)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjKo9fK8VqQ

I really missed it when I sold mine and got the electribe 2. I could just write full songs on the machine and then just record the audio for clean up.

Thanks again, though, for the stem export on the GR-16 and ! That helped a lot!

• @Dawdles said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@Dawdles said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@Dawdles said:

@LucidMusicInc said:
    Re the folders... once a sample is imported in the pattern it's stored in the app. The user sample folder ought to be seen as a temporary folder. We had this conversation at great length about 300 posts back. I can't speak for Jim but your best option is to use AudioShare and import directly to the part rather than adding stuff to the user folder.

Thanks. Long forum topic to read through! Still doesn’t make sense to me to not be able to group sample folders inside of folders, regardless of the storage setup.

I’ve been importing samples gradually over a few weeks and often now I have to browse down past 100+ folders in the browser..And this will just get worse the longer I’m adding samples.. seems quite ridiculous/uneccesary? Feels like I’m using a calculator watch, not a 2017 iPad ;)

I've got nearly 300 samples inside Gadget, which if you haven't used it has the exact same folder structure or lack thereof. The way I have learned to deal with the problem is as I have mentioned, come up with some kind of naming convention and keep your samples archived in AudioShare. Import them into the app one by one and save them like they were presets.

Thanks for the tip on the workaround. Feels like something that shouldn’t really require workarounds and constant external imports though? It’s just folders in a browser, seems like a staple basic feature for software like gr16?

You can read the earlier parts of this thread. It's been discussed extensively.

Was just voicing my opinion that it would be a good aspect of gr16 to improve upon and speed up general session sample useage workflow. Unless the earlier discussion highlighted a reason why it’s impossible to implement then I don’t really want to trawl through the thread? Feels like it’s one of those gr16 aspects that should be mentioned or +1'd by anyone feeling the same. If it’s an issue for enough people then hopefully it will get improved with support for nested folders.

Yes we had that discussion already.

• @jimpavloff said:

@Dawdles said:

@ZackDelta said:
    The idea of having a seperate au sequencer and sound modules is quite exciting, it would be very flexible: imagine having one sequencer controlling groove rider drums, au synths and external hardware, all hosted in AUM. It would keep those who want midi out happy, those who want individual channels for groove rider happy and those who only use au happy. One of the best things about groove rider is that it is super tight and rock solid, as is AUM.

But you should charge us for the extra work involved in any major update, you seem to be swamped by constant feature requests from everybody but have already produced an amazing app that is good enough to produce whole albums and live sets with and is actually better than the hardware that inspired it!

I had better get back to my bonfire before the snow puts it out :smile:

I don’t mind paying IAP if needed. But from a certain perspective then I/O for audio/midi and midi learn is something that could understandably have been expected to be there from v1. If comparing it to the current routing options of similar software. I’m not saying it ‘should’ have been there, sometimes it’s nice to get the product out there ahead of everything being in place, but separate audio tracks/midi learn etc are bread and butter features in modern software production. Not sure they really warrant an IAP...

I'm not a fan of making IAP's from the optional functions of the app. I planned to do an IAP's, maybe, only for additional sample banks, pattern and patch presets (for a certain music style), but now it is only an idea since I'm not sure yet it will be on demand by users.

It's a safe bet that anything you're selling we're buying! But by all means I don't care to tell you how to run your business, as long as there's no subscription involved.

• @Dawdles @jimpavloff have to agree about having to go through a whole list of folders etc A search folder function would help and search samples within folders Saying that though samples&folders within files.app are an ok solution for now
    I mentioned in earlier posts that is a bit frustrating that when you assign a sample to a pad from a folder then hit another pad to assign a sample the previous folder closes window meaning having to re locate the folder and sample Again not a major prob via files app but folder hold of sample windows in GR would help while assigning samples to pads.
    All that being said though GR in all aspects is KING :-)

• @Dawdles said:

@LucidMusicInc said:
    Re the folders... once a sample is imported in the pattern it's stored in the app. The user sample folder ought to be seen as a temporary folder. We had this conversation at great length about 300 posts back. I can't speak for Jim but your best option is to use AudioShare and import directly to the part rather than adding stuff to the user folder.

Thanks. Long forum topic to read through! Still doesn’t make sense to me to not be able to group sample folders inside of folders, regardless of the storage setup.

I’ve been importing samples gradually over a few weeks and often now I have to browse down past 100+ folders in the browser..And this will just get worse the longer I’m adding samples.. seems quite ridiculous/uneccesary? Feels like I’m using a calculator watch, not a 2017 iPad ;)

@Dawdles said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

• Agree 100% about a more comprehensive folder structure when assigning samples All else though is perfect for my workflow

• you guys are blowing the pressing shift paradigm way out of proportion, it’s really not difficult, it’s much easier than menu diving, and I picked it up almost immediately having never used the hardware. Just take 2 minutes to learn

• Guys not a big issue but the skin keeps reverting to default in AUM any ideas?

• @Dawdles said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Dawdles said:
    Nice app, thanks @jimpavloff

A lot of fun for sketching out ideas on the go.

However I’m having significant difficulty integrating it in to my overall workflow down to lack of separate audio stems of a full performance.

Loop and loop chain export doesn’t really cut it because it doesn’t contain all the song performance improv like ‘jump’ mode, arpeggio and (non-automated) parameter movements and so on. Things that are performed over the top of patterns with probability and parameter locks going on too. Any news on a solution for this? Full AU version functionality? (This makes most sense..odd to see an app like this coming out now without AU option.)... Separate audio outputs? Internal 16 track recorder? Performance recorder that internally records midi of a performance and can then play it back and solo track/s to track individual stems out? Any of these would be ok...

I don’t mind losing the gr16 fx if that’s the trade off. If I’m honest I find them quite limiting in general and would rather export stems to desktop where I can have individual insert reverbs per track and much more control over delay/sound design parameters, much more choice of fx and so on. I am a fan of the gr16 master fx though, would love to see this sold also as a separate AU? But I’m not sure these fx are possible without samples being stored inside the Gr16 engine for manipulation?

Also I really need to work in ‘projects’. Per song. Per live set. Can we have the option to create and name pattern banks to enable this kind of functionality?

It would also be great to be able to save a ‘sound’ (sample/synth + gr16 paramaters) and have these user sounds browseable to load in to future patterns. Frustrating/strange not to have this function.

Can we please have the ability to import and browse nested folders? I can’t see the reasoning behind the current limitation. It makes housekeeping and browsing a total nightmare!

Thanks for listening!

Yes, from your list I have plans to make 16 multi audio outs and user preset patches storing. I also was thinking about possibility to make an AU, but more probable that it would be a one-channel AU (one sound per AU) without sequencer functions, and maybe a separate AU with only sequencer and no sounds. But it still not even on a paper.

Excellent! Separate outputs and user presets will be great.

Regarding the AU. Is there a reason to only make split versions like you mention? Sound vs Sequencer? These individual spin-off AU’s would be great, very useful and I’d buy them. But they would be used for quite different scenarios and wouldn’t really solve the problem of integrating GR16 patterns and performance in to iOS daw?

Full AUv3 that was also automatable from within daws like Cubasis and Beatmaker 3 would be the ideal creative option imho. Best of both worlds and a streamlined creative environment. The same way that Maschine or Geist are hostable as VST inside desktop Daws. It’s the tidiest solution for anyone wanting to use GR16 for some elements of a song while using other softsynths, samplers, audio tracks, hardware in unison within one environment...It seems that AUv3 is becoming iOS standard now, making the workflow much closer to desktop for convenience + stability...It would be a shame to see GR16 not playing nicely with the other kids in that playground...

Agreed

• @jimpavloff said:

@Dawdles said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Dawdles said:
    Nice app, thanks @jimpavloff

A lot of fun for sketching out ideas on the go.

However I’m having significant difficulty integrating it in to my overall workflow down to lack of separate audio stems of a full performance.

Loop and loop chain export doesn’t really cut it because it doesn’t contain all the song performance improv like ‘jump’ mode, arpeggio and (non-automated) parameter movements and so on. Things that are performed over the top of patterns with probability and parameter locks going on too. Any news on a solution for this? Full AU version functionality? (This makes most sense..odd to see an app like this coming out now without AU option.)... Separate audio outputs? Internal 16 track recorder? Performance recorder that internally records midi of a performance and can then play it back and solo track/s to track individual stems out? Any of these would be ok...

I don’t mind losing the gr16 fx if that’s the trade off. If I’m honest I find them quite limiting in general and would rather export stems to desktop where I can have individual insert reverbs per track and much more control over delay/sound design parameters, much more choice of fx and so on. I am a fan of the gr16 master fx though, would love to see this sold also as a separate AU? But I’m not sure these fx are possible without samples being stored inside the Gr16 engine for manipulation?

Also I really need to work in ‘projects’. Per song. Per live set. Can we have the option to create and name pattern banks to enable this kind of functionality?

It would also be great to be able to save a ‘sound’ (sample/synth + gr16 paramaters) and have these user sounds browseable to load in to future patterns. Frustrating/strange not to have this function.

Can we please have the ability to import and browse nested folders? I can’t see the reasoning behind the current limitation. It makes housekeeping and browsing a total nightmare!

Thanks for listening!

Yes, from your list I have plans to make 16 multi audio outs and user preset patches storing. I also was thinking about possibility to make an AU, but more probable that it would be a one-channel AU (one sound per AU) without sequencer functions, and maybe a separate AU with only sequencer and no sounds. But it still not even on a paper.

Excellent! Separate outputs and user presets will be great.

Regarding the AU. Is there a reason to only make split versions like you mention? Sound vs Sequencer? These individual spin-off AU’s would be great, very useful and I’d buy them. But they would be used for quite different scenarios and wouldn’t really solve the problem of integrating GR16 patterns and performance in to iOS daw?

Full AUv3 that was also automatable from within daws like Cubasis and Beatmaker 3 would be the ideal creative option imho. Best of both worlds and a streamlined creative environment. The same way that Maschine or Geist are hostable as VST inside desktop Daws. It’s the tidiest solution for anyone wanting to use GR16 for some elements of a song while using other softsynths, samplers, audio tracks, hardware in unison within one environment...It seems that AUv3 is becoming iOS standard now, making the workflow much closer to desktop for convenience + stability...It would be a shame to see GR16 not playing nicely with the other kids in that playground...

Regarding the full sized AU, there are too many limitations of current AUv3 implementation which would lead to a completely another product with lots of changes in the workflow, which is far beyond the scope of current concept of Groove Rider.

Couldn't you just treat Groove Rider as a simple drum bank when hosted as an AU? In other words, simply load 16 drum samples and have the host play them back?

• @Audiojunkie said:
    Couldn't you just treat Groove Rider as a simple drum bank when hosted as an AU? In other words, simply load 16 drum samples and have the host play them back?

A good option. Maybe 16-part AU but without sequencer stuff, to be used and played by the host - a possible way for GR's audio unit.

• @jimpavloff said:

@Audiojunkie said:

A good option. Maybe 16-part AU but without sequencer stuff, to be used and played by the host - a possible way for GR's audio unit.

That definitely sounds awesome.

• I agree, there’s a special magic sauce in using GR16 to build the a
    Flesh and bones of a song. I have yet to open the manual and got something going with it inside Cubasis, while adding Zeeon midi tracks. So in a way for me optimize the workflow in it would be coding resources well used IMHO.

@Dawdles said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Audiojunkie said:

For me the magic of Gr16 is the connection between the sequencer and the sounds. If you lose the probability, jump mode, arpeggiator, repeats and parameter locks then gr16 just becomes quite a basic synth/sampler sound module, right? And locking 16 tracks of that together doesn’t really have much attraction for me in comparison to using 16 beatmaker pads for samples and au synths. And any fx and Rozeta per pad. Unless I’m missing something?

If full au isn’t possible and au needs to be only sections of the app then I’d find the sequencer half of GR16 much more unique and useful a tool than the sound half of it. If a gr16 sequencer-only AU worked like a Rozeta module in iOS daws it would be very cool indeed....

At least that’s my gut feeling on it. Would be interesting to try the sound module you mention though and see how it fared against other workflow options. Seems like a bit of a coding time resources gamble imho unless it’s not too time consuming to code something like this.

Personally if full AUv3 isn’t possible then I’d wrap gr16 up pretty soon and start focusing on something similar that can play ball as a full AUv3.

• @Dawdles said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Audiojunkie said:

For me the magic of Gr16 is the connection between the sequencer and the sounds. If you lose the probability, jump mode, arpeggiator, repeats and parameter locks then gr16 just becomes quite a basic synth/sampler sound module, right? And locking 16 tracks of that together doesn’t really have much attraction for me in comparison to using 16 beatmaker pads for samples and au synths. And any fx and Rozeta per pad. Unless I’m missing something?

If full au isn’t possible and au needs to be only sections of the app then I’d find the sequencer half of GR16 much more unique and useful a tool than the sound half of it. If a gr16 sequencer-only AU worked like a Rozeta module in iOS daws it would be very cool indeed....

At least that’s my gut feeling on it. Would be interesting to try the sound module you mention though and see how it fared against other workflow options. Seems like a bit of a coding time resources gamble imho unless it’s not too time consuming to code something like this.

Personally if full AUv3 isn’t possible then I’d wrap gr16 up pretty soon and start focusing on something similar that can play ball as a full AUv3.

You can use it in any DAW right now via IAA, using IAA host sync - almost the same that would be if GR was a fully functional AUv3. The only main difference is that you can use 1 instance only. In all the other things, it's the same workflow.

• Yeah that’s how I’m using it in Cubasis. I think if one had the ability to use AUv3 instruments inside GR16, and have it all tightly integrated, like the way iMPC Pro2 does, now that would be so nice. This way one could literally never have to leave GR-16 until say you wanted to add acoustic instruments etc and that would be done in the DAW of choice. Just thinking out loud. :#

@jimpavloff said:

@Dawdles said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Audiojunkie said:

You can use it in any DAW right now via IAA, using IAA host sync - almost the same that would be if GR was a fully functional AUv3. The only main difference is that you can use 1 instance only. In all the other things, it's the same workflow.

• edited February 2018

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    Yeah that’s how I’m using it in Cubasis. I think if one had the ability to use AUv3 instruments inside GR16, and have it all tightly integrated, like the way iMPC Pro2 does, now that would be so nice. This way one could literally never have to leave GR-16 until say you wanted to add acoustic instruments etc and that would be done in the DAW of choice. Just thinking out loud. :#

@jimpavloff said:

@Dawdles said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Audiojunkie said:

This is impossible, because GR's main power feature is to quickly change patterns with different patch setups on the fly during live playback. AUv3's cannot be loaded so fast in iOS without glitches, lags and crashes.

• great! Thanks for clearing that up. For me, the flow of creating in GR-16 is what has me hooked! I’ve never had such experience in an IOS app before! Great job Jim!

@jimpavloff said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    Yeah that’s how I’m using it in Cubasis. I think if one had the ability to use AUv3 instruments inside GR16, and have it all tightly integrated, like the way iMPC Pro2 does, now that would be so nice. This way one could literally never have to leave GR-16 until say you wanted to add acoustic instruments etc and that would be done in the DAW of choice. Just thinking out loud. :#

@jimpavloff said:

@Dawdles said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Audiojunkie said:

This is impossible, because GR's main power feature is to quickly change patterns with different patch setups on the fly during live playback. AUv3's cannot be loaded so fast in iOS without glitches, lags and crashes.

• @Dawdles said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Dawdles said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Audiojunkie said:

I generally avoid IAA. A lot of bad memories! And switching full app views feels like a disjointed way to work and sometimes results in small glitches. Plus automation of IAA and binding parameters to macros and so on is either not possible or a headache, in comparison to doing these things internally with AU’s. I suppose I’m too accustomed to the convenience of desktop daws and VST. IAA is ‘ok’ as last resort but quite far from ideal.

Just how I feel. I avoid IAA hosted apps like the iOS version of the Black Death :p

• Midi out would rock way more for me, cause if for some reason I really liked a certain melody or part in GR16 but I can’t quite get GR16 to sound like the way it’s in my mind, having that as midi would really rock! That way I could in a DAW select over AUv3 Synths! This might have been already talked about so wise disregard if it’s nonesense. :o

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Midi out would rock way more for me, cause if for some reason I really liked a certain melody or part in GR16 but I can’t quite get GR16 to sound like the way it’s in my mind, having that as midi would really rock! That way I could in a DAW select over AUv3 Synths! This might have been already talked about so wise disregard if it’s nonesense. :o

In the meantime you can get to sampling sounds. 16 secs max. That’s 8 bars at 120 bpm, plenty of room for any sampled sound to play nicely across several octaves

• That’s deep! I’m barely swimming like a little tadpole on the surface :D

• I’m an AU nut but I don’t ever care if this app goes AU. Just seems like a different kind of animal to me.

• @DCJ said:
    I’m an AU nut but I don’t ever care if this app goes AU. Just seems like a different kind of animal to me.

Yeah same here. I’d just like the sound engine to be AU, as it makes making patches so bloomin simple.

• edited February 2018

@jimpavloff hi jim - few things that could be cool for this already top app
    1. Resample direct pad to pad
    2. In sample slice edit window an ADSR and Pitch option per slice.
    3. 16 outputs IAA though have to say the hard work you done on giving us chained pattern stems is excellent
    4. multi select volume fader in the mixer - group faders
    5.How's things developing with the stereo widener effect ?
    6.Double tap SHIFT button to toggle on/off
    All else is excellent - the simplicity of GR without all the extra not needed over the top functions in other apps makes me way more creative with GR - using whats on offer/limitations is keeping GR my top choice for beat creating.
    keep up the good work -
    To add I'am already about to sell one of my hardware Akai MPCs that I've used since 1997 - reason being ok GR may not have an inbuilt sampler but is able to do everything else an MPC can -

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@DCJ said:
    I’m an AU nut but I don’t ever care if this app goes AU. Just seems like a different kind of animal to me.

Yeah same here. I’d just like the sound engine to be AU, as it makes making patches so bloomin simple.

Can’t argue with that. Even though it’s based on poison, which is a great synth, getting results with GR is much more rewarding IMO. Really beautifully done.

• @stormbeats said:
    3. 16 outputs IAA though have to say the hard work you done on giving us chained pattern stems is excellent
    All else is excellent - the simplicity of GR without all the extra not needed over the top functions in other apps makes me way more creative with GR - using whats on offer/limitations is keeping GR my top choice for beat creating.
    keep up the good work -
    To add I'am already about to sell one of my hardware Akai MPCs that I've used since 1997 - reason being ok GR may not have an inbuilt sampler but is able to do everything else an MPC can -

Stereo Delay per Part is going to be in the upcoming update. Btw, you can adjust every slice's Pitch already.

• @jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:
    keep up the good work -

Stereo Delay per Part is going to be in the upcoming update. Btw, you can adjust every slice's Pitch already.

ok cool I must have overlooked pitch per slice will check it out-