Skip to content

Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

Comments

• @ZackDelta said:
    Would it be possible to add an option to the sequencer so that if you touch a pad to delete a step, the notes for that step are remembered. This is what my electribe esx1 does and I think the electribe 2 has it as an option.

In the part menu where we can select default volume etc there could also be an option to enable this functionality and another to select what the deafault note is for entering new steps.

I think db909 is right about the shift functions, they are very fast and intuitive once you get used to them and are part of what makes it an exciting one screen groovebox rather than a boring daw. Sampling other synths into groove rider is also a very good idea while there is no midi out, maybe afterwards too, I used to sample 8 bar loops from my hardware synths into my esx all the time to get everything in one place with tight timing.

I thought about it. Maybe it will work this way: when you touch any note in editor, it remembers its pitch as a default, and every next note you write (by Shift+Pad in the Step Editor) will be written with this default pitch.

• @jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff would be good to get a ADSR/AMP EG on individual notes triggered by the same pad in the EDIT Window- Attack&Release would work well for instance to change the shape of a snare or hat during the sequence - though it's ok at present to copy the same sound to another pad and manipulate Envelope shaping that way.

Individual ADSR for notes feature is beyond the scope and is a very special case. Besides, you can do that by editing ADSR automation for the different snare drum notes inside one Part.

ok cool

• Haven’t tried sampling yet, is there a quick no fuss way to do it?

@ZackDelta said:
    Would it be possible to add an option to the sequencer so that if you touch a pad to delete a step, the notes for that step are remembered. This is what my electribe esx1 does and I think the electribe 2 has it as an option.

In the part menu where we can select default volume etc there could also be an option to enable this functionality and another to select what the deafault note is for entering new steps.

I think db909 is right about the shift functions, they are very fast and intuitive once you get used to them and are part of what makes it an exciting one screen groovebox rather than a boring daw. Sampling other synths into groove rider is also a very good idea while there is no midi out, maybe afterwards too, I used to sample 8 bar loops from my hardware synths into my esx all the time to get everything in one place with tight timing.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Haven’t tried sampling yet, is there a quick no fuss way to do it?

@ZackDelta said:

YeAh find a sample in Audioshare that’s under 16 seconds and export to Grooverider. Or zip multiple samples into a zip and export to Grooverider

• So can one do sampling like in BM3? It just load samples?

• @Dawdles said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@LucidMusicInc said:
    :( I'm not a fan of hidden features even if I learn them a short cut key combo should still be available in the standard menu system for new users and easily distracted users. @jimpavloff please consider putting the pattern write functions into the pattern menu screen so we can access those functions the traditional way.

I agree.

I have enough happening with making music and performing things to think about secret handshakes and double tap with a twist shit.

Maybe consider putting a second page that is MIDI learnable knobs? Sort of the idea of GlitchBreaks.
    Put all controls out side of immediate sound stuff on one page. I am not sure the idea this has to be crammed on one page is so important.

Why not add a sequencer(piano roll) on one page.
    Fx suite on another
    etc..

Crazy idea I mean AB remote options to do so, or LEMUR template, or just MIDI learn.

I have meant to post this about this app for a minute, but resisted.

I love Jim's work.

I never heard a developer represent my interests more in house music. I am a product of the Soundfactory, Limelight, Twilo, and the Tunnel. Jim's approach and taste of musical genre is so dead on it is scary.

But...I say this with all do respect, this app is not "fun" to use for me.

I know it may be a bitch thing on my part, but, it just is like dealing with iElectribe. Circa 1990's..........

I get the music style is from the 1990's but the interface ...........ahhh. ummmm.......hmmmm

Frankly, with all the new drag and drop stuff and so man things happening, this app is not actually getting the GUI it deserves at this point.

The app itself concept and music sounds / quality is a fucking 11 on a 1 to 10 scale.

But the interface, and the constant new "features" or "controls" just make me turn away a bit.

There are so many easier ways to present this stuff to users.

I realize Jim I trying to keep up with the feedback and make everyone happy, but maybe Jim should tell all of us to STFU and rework this interface that it represents the amazing music production capacity that is there.

Stay away from "shift" type features and "simultaneously" press blah blah......

People are inherently lazy and stupid.

Many other people are total nuts obsessed with the music they make.

As soon as an app "takes brain energy" to do things that are done a lot easier in other formats, it will limit the appeal and usefulness of the app.

Instead of an image of piano roll jammed in the box, but a true sequencer on another page.
    Make the EQ 1 page
    This type of stuff.

I love the app and hope that Jim tweaks the interface to make it feel like the amazing app that I know it is.

I don’t mind shift functions as long as most are labelled, like on hardware. But fully agree with the rest of the post. Having full screen pages for extended access to sequencer, mixer with eq, browser, effects with more parameters.... these are all things that the hardware electribes would have killed to be able to pull off but it’s physical form restricted it. Not the case on iPad, a shame to see some areas of gr16 under-optimised seemingly out of loyalty to the hardware it was inspired by. Also agree that the dev is incredibly talented and has made an impressive app, it’s just these small, uneccessary UI restrictions you mention that continue to bug me too. And these ‘extras’ wouldn’t take place or ruin the current ui. They’d just be a few page buttons at top of screen for anyone that wanted to work in a less cramped view for whatever reason..

Cool

I didn't want to be a dick but I just go to use it and I......I ......I .....I.....stop.. :expressionless:

I WOULD LOVE TO SEE A DIODE OR iSPARK SET UP

Being that it would be Universal it would be the first of its kind.

The app as it now is, is great utility. But, not an "instrument" feel.

For instance, the synth engine is so powerful, why jam all that stuff and limit parameters like that?

Or at least put an AU/IAA host feature on the second page with a corresponding STEREO audio signal.

Now I am pushing it for sure.

:

• Damn, I've lost track of this thread.
    I can hardly wait for things to settle with Samplist so I can start playing with GrooveRider. It's amazing how fast you get some good sounds out of it.

• @alecsbuga said:
    Damn, I've lost track of this thread.
    I can hardly wait for things to settle with Samplist so I can start playing with GrooveRider. It's amazing how fast you get some good sounds out of it.

Yeah, it’s funny how I’ve always craved more complex synthesis and then GR has shown me how simpler is sometimes better in the sense I’m getting sounds I want so quickly.

• I thought about it. Maybe it will work this way: when you touch any note in editor, it remembers its pitch as a default, and every next note you write (by Shift+Pad in the Step Editor) will be written with this default pitch.

On the esx it works more like a mute per step than a delete. So if you tap a step, the light goes off and that step (for that part) is silent, if you tap it again, it lights up and is active but at the same pitch as before. This is very handy because you can try out variations by muting multiple steps at once knowing that you can get them back again, especially useful if a step has more than one note on it.

I like it that grove rider's default pitch matches the root of the selected key, but it doesn't seem to pick up the selected octave like it says in the manual? If it did that as well then the second part of my idea is already there.

Oh and while i think of it, it would be cool if enabling chain mode worked without having to press stop and start again so you could have an extended jam on one pattern and seamlessly slip back into chain mode, although stopping and starting normally sounds good with groove rider it might get a bit repetitive if done all the time through a track.

• I thought about it. Maybe it will work this way: when you touch any note in editor, it remembers its pitch as a default, and every next note you write (by Shift+Pad in the Step Editor) will be written with this default pitch.

I really like this idea too, so it would be like a quick way to copy any step? Maybe it could do this if it was in seq+edit mode and my muting steps with the pads idea if it was just in seq mode? Or would that just be too confusing? It would work for me. Right, back to mixing my first finished groove rider track, hope to share it soon :smile:

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    So can one do sampling like in BM3? It just load samples?

Yeah man it just loads and plays samples. You do have the option, when rendering pattern audio, to resample back into the current pad as well. Read the manual, it’s not that long

• We didn’t get to 2.3k posts by people reading the manual! ;)

• Wow just did the Stems export thingy to AudioShare! Wow it’s amazing! They’re dry samples so you can tweak them as you wish in Auria Cubasis or any DAW! Simply awesome!

• @BiancaNeve said:
    We didn’t get to 2.3k posts by people reading the manual! ;)

:D

• Hey dudes...

How do you copy a whole sequence to the next bank?
    Aaaand...
    How do you make it song length ? I.e more than the 4 bars?

Thanks a lot.

• edited February 2018

@JangoMango said:
    Hey dudes...

How do you copy a whole sequence to the next bank?
    Aaaand...
    How do you make it song length ? I.e more than the 4 bars?

Thanks a lot.

Depends on what you mean by sequence and by bank. If you mean a pattern, there's a chain pattern mode, which allows you to chain several patterns to be played one after another.

• Sorry for not using the correct terms.

I have created a decent loop. Drums, bass, synth etc.. just want to copy the whole lot to the other 3 empty bars..

Then, try and ...

Don’t worry, I’ll read the manual..

Thanks then.

• @JangoMango said:
    Sorry for not using the correct terms.

I have created a decent loop. Drums, bass, synth etc.. just want to copy the whole lot to the other 3 empty bars..

Then, try and ...

Don’t worry, I’ll read the manual..

Thanks then.

Just go to the main menu "Pattern -> Pattern Length" and set it to 4 bars. While in most cases 1st bar will be automatically distributed to 2-4 bars, but in certain situations you may need to copy them manually.

• edited March 2018

Is there a way to map the corresponding pads of the Launchkey Mini to GR16? I can only control 8 of the 16 pads and they aren’t set to the correct pad. Is MIDI learn available yet?

• @guidinglight said:
    Is there a way to map the corresponding pads of the Launchkey Mini to GR16? I can only control 8 of the 16 pads and they aren’t set to the correct pad. Is MIDI learn available yet?

Pads are not directly mappable. However, you can play Pads via midi, when GR is in "Trigger" mode and Settings -> Midi Mode is set to "Omni". In this case, you can play Pads by sending midi notes to GR. Every two octaves (24 notes) on the midi keyboard are mapped to Pads (1-16), with 8 unused notes left in each two octaves. So Pad 1 is mapped to note C0, C2, C4 etc, Pad 2 is mapped to C#0, C#2, C#4 etc, Pad 3 is mapped to D0, D2, D4 ... and so on to the Pad 16.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited March 2018

@jimpavloff said:

@guidinglight said:

Pads are not directly mappable. However, you can play Pads via midi, when GR is in "Trigger" mode and Settings -> Midi Mode is set to "Omni". In this case, you can play Pads by sending midi notes to GR. Every two octaves (24 notes) on the midi keyboard are mapped to Pads (1-16), with 8 unused notes left in each two octaves. So Pad 1 is mapped to note C0, C2, C4 etc, Pad 2 is mapped to C#0, C#2, C#4 etc, Pad 3 is mapped to D0, D2, D4 ... and so on to the Pad 16.

Incredibly useful. The convention tends to be C1 however in most other drum machines.

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@jimpavloff said:

@guidinglight said:

Incredibly useful. The convention tends to be C1 however in most other drum machines.

Ok, I'll probably change the note mapping from C0 to C1 in the next updates.

• Now some of those new changes to your NKS scene sets make even more since @LucidMusicInc

• @jimpavloff said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@jimpavloff said:

@guidinglight said:

Ok, I'll probably change the note mapping from C0 to C1 in the next updates.

+1

• edited March 2018

@WillieNegus said:
    Now some of those new changes to your NKS scene sets make even more since @LucidMusicInc

With the NKS you can trigger the pads from the keyboard by going down to the bottom octave. After the update they will be able to be triggered from the pads. Also you'll be able to play pads chromatically (the first 8) using the keyboard with the scenes. I've already tested it.

• edited March 2018

All this talk of C0 etc is pretty meaningless really since C0 is undefined

The only thing midi defines is that middle C is midi note 60. But midi 60 seems to be called different things in different daws.

Plus it seems everything has its own settings anyway

For example
    Beathawk: MIDI Trigger Layout (copied from another post)
    48 (C3) 49 (C#3) 50 (D3) 51 (D#3)
    44 (G#2) 45 (A2) 46 (A#2) 47 (B2)
    40 (E2) 41 (F2) 42 (F#2) 43 (G2)
    36 (C2) 37 (C#2) 38(D2) 39 (D#2)

• @BiancaNeve said:

The only thing midi defines is that middle C is midi note 60. But midi 60 seems to be called different things in different daws.

Middle c is C4

• @BiancaNeve said:

Plus it seems everything has its own settings anyway

For example
    Beathawk: MIDI Trigger Layout (copied from another post)
    48 (C3) 49 (C#3) 50 (D3) 51 (D#3)
    44 (G#2) 45 (A2) 46 (A#2) 47 (B2)
    40 (E2) 41 (F2) 42 (F#2) 43 (G2)
    36 (C2) 37 (C#2) 38(D2) 39 (D#2)

If we talking about midi specification standard, then C0 = 24. The lowest note available is C-2 (0). The middle C (60) is C3. For example, Ableton Live follows this convention.

• edited March 2018

@LucidMusicInc said:

@BiancaNeve said:

Middle c is C4

Except in cakewalk where middle C is C5 Fl studio mobile too
    Music Studio has C4 as middle C
    And Yamaha keyboards where it’s C3 and so is Cubasis