Skip to content

Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

Comments

• @RajahP said:
    Is there a way to scale/key transpose patterns (or parts)? Say pattern O’Skool 1 is in ‘Ionian C’ can you Transpose it to ‘Aeolian D’?
    Seems to be a powerful machine for generating ‘samples’ ( like Blocs Wave).. And with the up-coming Midi export, it is hard to imagine the possibilities..
    Hoping we get ‘patterns’ as IAP also..

There’s no way to transpose entire patterns. You can transpose parts by semitones in the utilities menu. The key and scale settings only affect what notes are mapped to the pads and touch pad, not anything that has been recorded. The advantage of this is you can mix and match different scales and keys if you want to sound all jazzy and/or weird and like you really know you’re music theory well.

• edited March 2018

@db909 said:

@RajahP said:
    Is there a way to scale/key transpose patterns (or parts)? Say pattern O’Skool 1 is in ‘Ionian C’ can you Transpose it to ‘Aeolian D’?
    Seems to be a powerful machine for generating ‘samples’ ( like Blocs Wave).. And with the up-coming Midi export, it is hard to imagine the possibilities..
    Hoping we get ‘patterns’ as IAP also..

There’s no way to transpose entire patterns. You can transpose parts by semitones in the utilities menu. The key and scale settings only affect what notes are mapped to the pads and touch pad, not anything that has been recorded. The advantage of this is you can mix and match different scales and keys if you want to sound all jazzy and/or weird and like you really know you’re music theory well.

Ok.. that’s great.. But an option to ‘select’ multiple pads to transpose can be nice also...

Thanks..

• Hey guys - sorry if this has been asked before but is there a way to sync oscillators or use multiple pads at the same time? I'm thinking like on the Volca Bass if that makes any sense?

Bonus pro-tip!

You can follow tutorials on YouTube for e2 and es2 and they apply exactly the same to GrooveRider ☺

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Guys not a big issue but the skin keeps reverting to default in AUM any ideas?

This has been bugging me for weeks

• @jimpavloff said:

@samboom said:
    Jim,

Not sure if anyone has suggested this but for easier one handed / one fingered operation would it be possible to have a kind of shift lock option - i.e. once pressed the shift button stays active (flashing) until another key is pressed in which case:

either the shift press combo is registered (assuming the combo is meaningful)
    or otherwise the shift lock mode is exited (shift button stops flashing)

Maybe with some kind of timeout setting for the shift lock

Thanks for making this brilliant app.
    Can't wait for the forthcoming midi out only AU product!

Do you mean shift locking for only one tap? Maybe a good solution, however, can potentially bring mess in the current UI workflow.

How about making the shift lock similar to the way the iOS keyboard does it? Normally, the shift could work like it does now (press and hold for shift), but with a quick double-tap, it could lock. Another tap could unlock it.

• @Audiojunkie said:

@jimpavloff said:

@samboom said:
    Jim,

Not sure if anyone has suggested this but for easier one handed / one fingered operation would it be possible to have a kind of shift lock option - i.e. once pressed the shift button stays active (flashing) until another key is pressed in which case:

Do you mean shift locking for only one tap? Maybe a good solution, however, can potentially bring mess in the current UI workflow.

How about making the shift lock similar to the way the iOS keyboard does it? Normally, the shift could work like it does now (press and hold for shift), but with a quick double-tap, it could lock. Another tap could unlock it.

I like the SHIFT-double-tap idea, also agree with one tap for unlock.
    But there's still one issue left: While on any parameter SHIFT enables fine-tune, with OSC pitch it does the opposite: It selects semitone "integers". Nothing wrong with that per se, but with so little screen space used currently it's close to impossible to fine-tune samples precisely. Step width is 0.23 semitones, too coarse and too fiddly.
    As the OSC pitch knob is quite in the horizontal middle of the screen, it wouldn't hurt to use the full screen width at least for OSC pitch adjustments and make increments much smaller.

• @rs2000 said:

@Audiojunkie said:

@jimpavloff said:

@samboom said:
    Jim,

But there's still one issue left: While on any parameter SHIFT enables fine-tune, with OSC pitch it does the opposite: It selects semitone "integers". Nothing wrong with that per se, but with so little screen space used currently it's close to impossible to fine-tune samples precisely. Step width is 0.23 semitones, too coarse and too fiddly.
    As the OSC pitch knob is quite in the horizontal middle of the screen, it wouldn't hurt to use the full screen width at least for OSC pitch adjustments and make increments much smaller.

Hmmm..... Good points..

• @Audiojunkie said:

@rs2000 said:

@Audiojunkie said:

@jimpavloff said:

@samboom said:
    Jim,

Hmmm..... Good points

Obviously this app is too good if this is what we’re talking about

• @db909 said:

Don't you use your own samples?

• @jimpavloff GrooveRider is not on the list if inter-app instruments in Auria. I’m pulling hair off trying to send midi to it from Auria. I see Poison-202 in the AU and interapp lists but not GR-16. Please help! Thanks Jim.

• @rs2000 said:

@db909 said:

Don't you use your own samples?

Yeah but I make them FOR groove Rider when I do. So they’re always perfect length for maximum range and tuned to a C note for perfect transposition. When I used some random ones, I didn’t think too much about and just tuned them by ear, they probably weren’t perfect but hey it sounded good

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    @jimpavloff GrooveRider is not on the list if inter-app instruments in Auria. I’m pulling hair off trying to send midi to it from Auria. I see Poison-202 in the AU and interapp lists but not GR-16. Please help! Thanks Jim.

Grooverider is currently only a generator not an IAA instrument, so you'll find it on the channel strip FX :)

• thanks Can I send midi to it from there?

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    thanks Can I send midi to it from there?

1. Add a Midi track
    2. Change the instrument to "Off"
    3. On the FX window channel strip load Groove Rider GR-16 into an FX Slot
    4. Change the Midi Output from Plugins/Track # - G...Rider GR-16 to CoreMIDI/GR-16 Midi In
  • Thanks Wim! Ok did all steps, The in Auria settings selected GR16 midi out to send notes. But when I bring up Auria’s keyboard for the channel I have GR in no sound is heard from GR. I also went to GR midi in and selected Auria and set it at Poly or Omni and nothing.

GR starts and stops perfectly though but no midi is received from AP.

@wim said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    thanks Can I send midi to it from there?

1. Add a Midi track
    2. Change the instrument to "Off"
    3. On the FX window channel strip load Groove Rider GR-16 into an FX Slot
    4. Change the Midi Output from Plugins/Track # - G...Rider GR-16 to CoreMIDI/GR-16 Midi In
  • I dunno. Working fine here. Maybe check the settings menu > midi in Auria Pro.
    Also, is the channel armed for recording (common mistake)?

• I checked and disabled arm record. It was lit, but nothing. So maybe in GR16 I should be in a special mode?

• edited March 2018

Was able to finally send midi! But only in the wave view and only with the midi editor keyboard not the movable keyboard in Auria Pro. Something is not right.

• This is the only keyboard I can use in Auria to send midi to Pad 1 of my GR16 pattern.

• wimwim
    edited March 2018

You don't want to disable record arm, you want to enable it (should be flashing).
    Did you set up a MIDI or an Audio Track? Should be MIDI.What the heck is the "Wave View"?
    Is the keyboard sending to the right channel? Each pad is on it's own midi channel by number.
    Double-check that you're sending to the Core Midi GR-16,not the "Track # - Groove Rider"

• wimwim
    edited March 2018

Oh, and I have GR-16 Midi In set to "No Device", Virtual Midi In to "On".

• Will try this. :)
    I thought it was wav view but it’s actually the midi editor screen. :D

@wim said:
    Oh, and I have GR-16 Midi In set to "No Device", Virtual Midi In to "On".

• Fixed!!
    Deleted whole AP project. Rebooted iPad and all midi stuff was reset I’m AP settings. No apps showing at all. Started a clean project with only one midi track and followed your instructions and bam! Worked! Thanks so much Wim!

• For anyone having midi out issues like I was in Auria Pro, I realized one single setting was causing all the chaos. In Settings panel, there’s an option called:
    App background or something like that.
    Disable this. As soon as I did, I was able to use Auria’s internal keyboard to drive any external or internal Synths.

Another thing that made me pulled my hair was that when one adds a AU synth, it is automatically placed into Bypass mode, so it leaves you wondering what the heck! Til you notice the synth is bypassed.

Oh, hope all this helps people with Auria Midi and driving GrooveRider. This is a superb combo and super tight midi clock integration.

• OMG! Midi output is really coming guys! Just got Poison 202 update and it said so there :)<3

thanks so much Jim!

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    OMG! Midi output is really coming guys! Just got Poison 202 update and it said so there :)<3

thanks so much Jim!

:'(

*Tears of joy

• edited March 2018

Is sound/isntrument/synth preset saving on the menu? Just occurred to me how much this could give the app an even stronger pick up and play type vibe, if you just had immediate access to a bunch of your favorite sounds with all their settings saved and such. Especially for the synth sounds. First thing I’d do is go through all the preset patterns and save all the synth sounds. Jim you did some really great work on those for sure.

• @db909 said:
    Is sound/isntrument/synth preset saving on the menu? Just occurred to me how much this could give the app an even stronger pick up and play type vibe, if you just had immediate access to a bunch of your favorite sounds with all their settings saved and such. Especially for the synth sounds. First thing I’d do is go through all the preset patterns and save all the synth sounds. Jim you did some really great work on those for sure.

It's on my list, but not in this update yet.

• @jimpavloff said:

@db909 said:

It's on my list, but not in this update yet.

Awesome! Good to know! :smiley:
    And quoting myself on your "Back to Roots" video, I hope you make a Making Of video like those of prodigy tracks, but on GR-16

That would rock! lol
    Spasibo!

• edited March 2018

@jimpavloff Hi Jim - when I export pattern stems the delay Haas effect is in mono - seems to be bypased through the Master Stereo channel it's ok when bounced as Pattern Audio but then I have to solo each Part to have seperate stems Not a major issue but if there is any way to re route delay Haas effect through Master Channel when Exporting Pattern or Chained stems would be cool.
    No rush I may have mentioned before but Pitch slider or Pith number value using the big dial per Part in Part settings - is this possible ?