Skip to content

Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

Comments

• thanks @LucidMusicInc and @rs2000
    It seems to me GR-16 is the most active app.
    I'm aware that GR-16 is not an AU host. I just thought it would be cool if it had multiple outputs so I can use it in AUM and use AU effects and mix it with other instruments loaded in AUM.

• @fattigman said:
    thanks @LucidMusicInc and @rs2000
    It seems to me GR-16 is the most active app.
    I'm aware that GR-16 is not an AU host. I just thought it would be cool if it had multiple outputs so I can use it in AUM and use AU effects and mix it with other instruments loaded in AUM.

Multiple outs has been requested. You can control multiple synths in AUM via midi or export stems and use the file player. Lots of good options :)

• edited April 2018

@jimpavloff I think I’m getting some notes being dropped/not recording when recording from the touchpad. Tempo was 116 and quantize was OFF and I was playing fairly fast, 16th notes, maybe some 32nd notes. When I was done recording and listened as it looped, it definitely sounded like some of those notes were skipped. I tried playing at a similar speed on the bottom pads and had no issue, what I played was what I heard, so that led me to believe it might be an issue just with touchpad recording. I dunno, check it out

Reminds me too that I’ve always suspected there was something a little funky with the touchpad. Cause even when you record on it without quantization, even making mistakes and all, it always seems like what plays back/gets recorded is slightly different timing. I’d like to think my ears can hear a thing, and then know if said thing was repeated exactly a few seconds later or not. But it could just be me, but also maybe it’s worth at least a look

• @db909 said:
    @jimpavloff I think I’m getting some notes being dropped/not recording when recording from the touchpad. Tempo was 116 and quantize was OFF and I was playing fairly fast, 16th notes, maybe some 32nd notes. When I was done recording and listened as it looped, it definitely sounded like some of those notes were skipped. I tried playing at a similar speed on the bottom pads and had no issue, what I played was what I heard, so that led me to believe it might be an issue just with touchpad recording. I dunno, check it out

Reminds me too that I’ve always suspected there was something a little funky with the touchpad. Cause even when you record on it without quantization, even making mistakes and all, it always seems like what plays back/gets recorded is slightly different timing. I’d like to think my ears can hear a thing, and then know if said thing was repeated exactly a few seconds later or not. But it could just be me, but also maybe it’s worth at least a look

iPad's screen touch accuracy is not very high, it's up to 60 frames per second, depends on the graphics refresh speed. Plus it may introduce some events jitter. Midi input is much more accurate since its events have timestamp. About missing notes - have to check that, maybe they are being recorded too short.

• @jimpavloff said:

@db909 said:

iPad's screen touch accuracy is not very high, it's up to 60 frames per second, depends on the graphics refresh speed. Plus it may introduce some events jitter. Midi input is much more accurate since its events have timestamp. About missing notes - have to check that, maybe they are being recorded too short.

Cool cool

• Yeah I have a feeling the missing notes just might be recorded too short. Perhaps that’s the sole issue

• Came here to say Hokusai 2 is a solid audio editor companion for Groove Rider...you can combine and cut samples, and then time stretch down to 16 seconds to work with GR-16. Midi works flawlessly in AUM and BM3 for me.

• @bcrichards said:
    Came here to say Hokusai 2 is a solid audio editor companion for Groove Rider...you can combine and cut samples, and then time stretch down to 16 seconds to work with GR-16. Midi works flawlessly in AUM and BM3 for me.

Nice thanks for the tip

• @bcrichards said:
    Came here to say Hokusai 2 is a solid audio editor companion for Groove Rider...you can combine and cut samples, and then time stretch down to 16 seconds to work with GR-16. Midi works flawlessly in AUM and BM3 for me.

This can't sample Audiobus or IAA can it? Otherwise it's a phenomenal looking app. Posts like these make me wish @j_liljedahl might make an Audioshare 2 or something with some improved audio editing features...

• wimwim
    edited April 2018

@LucidMusicInc said:

@bcrichards said:

This can't sample Audiobus or IAA can it? Otherwise it's a phenomenal looking app. Posts like these make me wish @j_liljedahl might make an Audioshare 2 or something with some improved audio editing features...

Nope, no sampling.
    With the files app integration it's pretty easy to sample elsewhere, like in AudioShare, and just dump the result into the app folder.

[edit] oops. Not sure if you're talking about GrooveRider or Hokusai 2.

• @wim said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@bcrichards said:

Nope, no sampling.
    With the files app integration it's pretty easy to sample elsewhere, like in AudioShare, and just dump the result into the app folder.

Hokusai 2. I've read the website, only mentions sampling by microphone but not Audiobus.

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@wim said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@bcrichards said:

Nope, no sampling.

Hokusai 2. I've read the website, only mentions sampling by microphone but not Audiobus.

Twisted wave rocks with AudioBus.

• edited April 2018

@wim said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@wim said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@bcrichards said:

Nope, no sampling.

Twisted wave rocks with AudioBus.

With a few more sharing, internal file management and preview features it could easily be the best AudioShare successor.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Dawdles said:
    @jimpavloff is there any chance for an option in settings where 'keys' mode would give an onscreen keyboard in place of pads?

I find it quite difficult to remember melodies and chords based on pad numbers but it would be a non-issue and totally intuitive for keyboard players if there was an onscreen chromatic keyboard. Especially when using GR16 to sequence other apps. I find myself having to do mental/visual calculations to find notes/chords and it significantly slows workflow.

Also a separate feature request that would be great for when a hardware midi keyboard is connected is if it could be possible to hold a step (pad) in GR16 UI and press key/chord on hardware keys to input the note/s to the step. With or without the sequencer running.

Enabling the convenience/precision of using physical keys but without the necessity of having to always live record to input note info. Obviously using this input method would mean that note length would often need to be adjusted in the editor if necessary. But often that's not a bad workflow trade-off, depending on what kind of passage you're sequencing.

Thanks for listening

i agree with you - a keyboard screen in keys mode would help a lot and even better if it could load samples too.

• @stormbeats said:

@Dawdles said:
    @jimpavloff is there any chance for an option in settings where 'keys' mode would give an onscreen keyboard in place of pads?

I find it quite difficult to remember melodies and chords based on pad numbers but it would be a non-issue and totally intuitive for keyboard players if there was an onscreen chromatic keyboard. Especially when using GR16 to sequence other apps. I find myself having to do mental/visual calculations to find notes/chords and it significantly slows workflow.

Also a separate feature request that would be great for when a hardware midi keyboard is connected is if it could be possible to hold a step (pad) in GR16 UI and press key/chord on hardware keys to input the note/s to the step. With or without the sequencer running.

Enabling the convenience/precision of using physical keys but without the necessity of having to always live record to input note info. Obviously using this input method would mean that note length would often need to be adjusted in the editor if necessary. But often that's not a bad workflow trade-off, depending on what kind of passage you're sequencing.

Thanks for listening

i agree with you - a keyboard screen in keys mode would help a lot and even better if it could load samples too.

I absolutely agree on this request too. A keyboard screen would make Groove Rider come alive for me.

• @Purpan said:

@stormbeats said:

@Dawdles said:

Thanks for listening

I absolutely agree on this request too. A keyboard screen would make Groove Rider come alive for me.

+1 for the onscreen keyboard

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Is it legit for a developer to +1 a potential feature in his own app?

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Is it legit for a developer to +1 a potential feature in his own app?

With almost 3k posts, anything can happen!

• pad layering would be cool even just 2 samples on one pad and i dream of having at least an 8 bar option

• @jimpavloff said:

@Purpan said:

@stormbeats said:

@Dawdles said:

Thanks for listening

+1 for the onscreen keyboard

Anyway to make it so we can use erase button at the same time as pads and/or keys?

• edited April 2018

@wim said:
    (More comparisons to iSpark - I don't have egoist) Lots of terrific groove and arp templates, probablility and step-actions, stem export (pattern and song), more flexible project export, files app integration, midi out ... off the top of my head.

Plus an active developer. When was the last update to iSpark? :o

@lukesleepwalker said:
    Is it legit for a developer to +1 a potential feature in his own app?

Happened to me on the Intua forum. :blush: (girlish giggle) I framed it on my wall.

• Want to clarify that while I’ve asked for a bigger touchpad in the past, the reason was only to have a larger playing area that I could play notes with while playing the erase button as well since you can be in erase and keys modes on the pads simultaneously. But if the plan is to add some kind of bigger keyboard, that wouldn’t be necessary if there was a way to get the erase function simultaneously with however that would be set up. So basically the underlying desire is to be able to play the erase button and play notes at the same time for live, per note punching in/replacing. If that makes sense.

• @db909 said:
    Want to clarify that while I’ve asked for a bigger touchpad in the past, the reason was only to have a larger playing area that I could play notes with while playing the erase button as well since you can be in erase and keys modes on the pads simultaneously. But if the plan is to add some kind of bigger keyboard, that wouldn’t be necessary if there was a way to get the erase function simultaneously with however that would be set up. So basically the underlying desire is to be able to play the erase button and play notes at the same time for live, per note punching in/replacing. If that makes sense.

Wouldn't it be easier just to add here a global setting "Record mode" to do this? If enabled, it could erase everything in the part while any pads are being held during record.

• edited April 2018

@jimpavloff said:

@db909 said:
    Want to clarify that while I’ve asked for a bigger touchpad in the past, the reason was only to have a larger playing area that I could play notes with while playing the erase button as well since you can be in erase and keys modes on the pads simultaneously. But if the plan is to add some kind of bigger keyboard, that wouldn’t be necessary if there was a way to get the erase function simultaneously with however that would be set up. So basically the underlying desire is to be able to play the erase button and play notes at the same time for live, per note punching in/replacing. If that makes sense.

Wouldn't it be easier just to add here a global setting "Record mode" to do this? If enabled, it could erase everything in the part while any pads are being held during record.

Good idea! I know that from other sequencers and it's very good to have!
    But why a global setting? Wouldn't it be easier, for example, to hit REC again to toggle between note recording and note erase mode? To indicate erase mode, the REC button could flash so it's easy to see what mode I'm in at the moment.
    Hitting STOP and REC again will always default to note recording mode to avoid confusion.

• edited April 2018

@jimpavloff said:

@db909 said:

Yes that would be easier. Basically the pressing of a note would play the note and engage the erase function too while it’s pressed/held?

• @db909 said:

@jimpavloff said:

@db909 said:

Yes that would be easier. You’re saying if I tap one note on the pads or touchpad while recording and it coincides with already recorded notes, the old ones are erased while the new ones recorded? If so yes, do that

I mean if you would tap a note on a pads during record, it would erase ANY notes that are being played during the time period a pad is pressed, and record this new note. I.e. the same as holding a pad in Erase mode, plus record new note.

• edited April 2018

sorry for causing confusion, I think the way recording and erasing works atm is already great as-is. Erasing events depending on existing data would be more confusing than helpful in my opinion.

• edited April 2018

@jimpavloff said:

@db909 said:

@jimpavloff said:

@db909 said:

Yes that would be easier. You’re saying if I tap one note on the pads or touchpad while recording and it coincides with already recorded notes, the old ones are erased while the new ones recorded? If so yes, do that

I mean if you would tap a note on a pads during record, it would erase ANY notes that are being played during the time period a pad is pressed, and record this new note. I.e. the same as holding a pad in Erase mode, plus record new note.

Yes we are in agreement. This plus what we can already do would be touch screen recording heaven