Skip to content

Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

Comments

• @stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff any thoughts on adding pad layering? Even just 2 samples per pad would be good to have the option

I have to agree with you here :)

• To all "Midi Clockers": Midi Clock sync will be added in the next update :smile:

• @jimpavloff would it be possible to add a Merge Patterns feature which will then extend the bars from 4 to say 16 bars? Or even 8 bars from merging 2 patterns?
    Also would be cool to export chained patterns stems and single pattern stems through the MFX

• @jimpavloff said:
    To all "Midi Clockers": Midi Clock sync will be added in the next update :smile:

Really? You make me nervous! :smiley::smiley:

• edited June 2018

When you hit “undo” during recording, there’s a noticeable pause in the audio like clockwork every time. Can this be fixed? I’ve been using shift plus clear part 4 bars to get around it while recording and that works seamlessly. But the pause throws off the rhythm and it’s faster to hit undo. Just seems weird

• @db909 said:
    When you hit “undo” during recording, there’s a noticeable pause in the audio like clockwork every time. Can this be fixed? I’ve been using shift plus clear part 4 bars to get around it while recording and that works seamlessly. But the pause throws off the rhythm and it’s faster to hit undo. Just seems weird

I'll check that also.

• edited June 2018

@stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff any thoughts on adding pad layering? Even just 2 samples per pad would be good to have the option
    Also sample gain by vertical upward/downward dragging on waveform in sample edit window would be good to have Its a function in the impc pro1&2 app though I no longer use impc pro since GR is way better.
    An increase of 2 or more effects per pad and an IAA / AU EFFECT on the Master channel would be a welcoming addition.

What I'm planning for Groove Rider's future updates, are such things that will not cause a total rewriting and redesigning of the whole app. Most of the things, like adding more than 4 bars in a pattern, more than 16 parts, steps, or slices, more than one IFX per part, stereo samples support, realtime merging different patterns, triggering whole patterns from a pad and similar - will lead to redesign and reinvention of the whole app. It's like adding a fifth wheel to the 4-wheeled car. Needs a lot of time/effort which I don't have. I would rather spend this time creating a new app with new features.
    Even adding to GR of a such minimal feature as a Midi Clock support (which I'm currently doing), leads me to a total rewriting of the main blocks of the GR's sequencing engine these days. It is now causing Ableton Link problems, as well as IAA host sync problems, and even simple playback issues now. I'm fixing these things right now, taking in account that many users are already using GR without Midi Clock, to ensure that this update will not harm them.

• GR is almost the definition of mission creep ...

• @jimpavloff I admire you dedication. It makes you stand out as one the great app devs in my opinion. B)

• @BiancaNeve said:
    GR is almost the definition of mission creep.

What because he doesn’t want to rewrite vast swaths of the app? What does this even mean? This app is amazing. Mission creep MY ASS

• edited June 2018

Mission creep is a pretty well known phrase, but for your edification,

Wikipedia defines Mission creep as the expansion of a project or mission beyond its original goals, often after initial successes.[1] Mission creep is usually considered undesirable due to the dangerous path of each success breeding more ambitious attempts, stopping only when a final, often catastrophic, failure occurs.

In the case of GrooveriderI it means, when he launched it he said it was designed to be a simple app and that he had plans for a more complex one on the drawing board, several hundred posts later every new feature he adds spawns requests for another few amendments to the new features and new new features.

See the similarities?

I wonder how the term would apply to a persons ass, possibly the expansion due to sitting on it too long eating super sized fries perhaps?

• Considering Apple is slowly phasing out Open GL ES on iOS (it will still be available on iOS12 but not 'preferred') it might be good to know if there are any 3rd party frameworks involved that heavily rely on Open GL and if those will be 'metallized' in the future making it easier to sustain both GR-16 and Poison-202...

• @BiancaNeve said:

Wikipedia defines Mission creep as the expansion of a project or mission beyond its original goals, often after initial successes.[1] Mission creep is usually considered undesirable due to the dangerous path of each success breeding more ambitious attempts, stopping only when a final, often catastrophic, failure occurs.

In the case of GrooveriderI it means, when he launched it he said it was designed to be a simple app and that he had plans for a more complex one on the drawing board, several hundred posts later every new feature he adds spawns requests for another few amendments to the new features and new new features.

See the similarities?

I wonder how the term would apply to a persons ass, possibly the expansion due to sitting on it too long eating super sized fries perhaps?

Oh ok gotcha 👍

• @Samu said:
    Considering Apple is slowly phasing out Open GL ES on iOS (it will still be available on iOS12 but not 'preferred') it might be good to know if there are any 3rd party frameworks involved that heavily rely on Open GL and if those will be 'metallized' in the future making it easier to sustain both GR-16 and Poison-202...

GR and Poison are highly based on Open GL ES 2.0, as well as millions of other apps in the app store.

• @BiancaNeve said:

See the similarities?

Super term! Now I know how it's called))

• @jimpavloff said:

@Samu said:
    Considering Apple is slowly phasing out Open GL ES on iOS (it will still be available on iOS12 but not 'preferred') it might be good to know if there are any 3rd party frameworks involved that heavily rely on Open GL and if those will be 'metallized' in the future making it easier to sustain both GR-16 and Poison-202...

GR and Poison are highly based on Open GL ES 2.0, as well as millions of other apps in the app store.

I know, that's why I got a bit worried...
    http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2018/06/apple-explained-why-theyre-going-to-end-support-for-opengl-at-a-wwdc-2018-developer-session.html

• @Samu said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Samu said:

I know, that's why I got a bit worried...
    http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2018/06/apple-explained-why-theyre-going-to-end-support-for-opengl-at-a-wwdc-2018-developer-session.html

Yep, I've heard about it. It means that for 1 this year iOS users will not see any new apps from developers, while they will be searching for a solution to quickly transfer all their current selling apps to Metal.

• @jimpavloff said:
    What I'm planning for Groove Rider's future updates, are such things that will not cause a total rewriting and redesigning of the whole app. Most of the things, like adding more than 4 bars in a pattern, more than 16 parts, steps, or slices, more than one IFX per part, stereo samples support, realtime merging different patterns, triggering whole patterns from a pad and similar - will lead to redesign and reinvention of the whole app. It's like adding a fifth wheel to the 4-wheeled car.

Thanks for making a great app and your follow-through on refining and expanding it. I’ll take these boundaries seriously, and hope other folks do, too.

• @ksound said:

@jimpavloff said:
    What I'm planning for Groove Rider's future updates, are such things that will not cause a total rewriting and redesigning of the whole app. Most of the things, like adding more than 4 bars in a pattern, more than 16 parts, steps, or slices, more than one IFX per part, stereo samples support, realtime merging different patterns, triggering whole patterns from a pad and similar - will lead to redesign and reinvention of the whole app. It's like adding a fifth wheel to the 4-wheeled car.

Thanks for making a great app and your follow-through on refining and expanding it. I’ll take these boundaries seriously, and hope other folks do, too.

Thanks for understanding :smile:

• @jimpavloff said:

@ksound said:

@jimpavloff said:

I really try my best to take the boundaries seriously as much as I can with my limited knowledge of the process, I hope that has come across in this thread in regards to features/tweaks. Keep on keeping on!

• wimwim
    edited June 2018

In project management terms, we call it "scope creep". Mission Creep sounds a lot more macho though. I think I'll switch that one over when scoping consulting engagements missions.

Kudos @jimpavloff for knowing where to draw the line and for being willing and able to communicate that and the reasons for it clearly.

• @jimpavloff said:

@ksound said:

@jimpavloff said:

I just gave you a tiny reaction when you mentioned that you're about to add Midi Clock support but I also want to express my deep respect for what you're doing.
    You already hit a lot of sweet spots by designing GrooveRider, but not only that, what sets you really apart from developers like AudioDamage is that you're dedicated to improving an app after its release in many little iterations, and you highly value communication with users and making them happy with your app.
    Thank you very much for your work and your honorable philosophy.

• @rs2000 said:

@jimpavloff said:

@ksound said:

@jimpavloff said:

I just gave you a tiny reaction when you mentioned that you're about to add Midi Clock support but I also want to express my deep respect for what you're doing.
    You already hit a lot of sweet spots by designing GrooveRider, but not only that, what sets you really apart from developers like AudioDamage is that you're dedicated to improving an app after its release in many little iterations, and you highly value communication with users and making them happy with your app.

Well said

• @jimpavloff Will we ever see a GR-16S Sampler?

• @jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:
    Also sample gain by vertical upward/downward dragging on waveform in sample edit window would be good to have Its a function in the impc pro1&2 app though I no longer use impc pro since GR is way better.
    An increase of 2 or more effects per pad and an IAA / AU EFFECT on the Master channel would be a welcoming addition.

What I'm planning for Groove Rider's future updates, are such things that will not cause a total rewriting and redesigning of the whole app. Most of the things, like adding more than 4 bars in a pattern, more than 16 parts, steps, or slices, more than one IFX per part, stereo samples support, realtime merging different patterns, triggering whole patterns from a pad and similar - will lead to redesign and reinvention of the whole app. It's like adding a fifth wheel to the 4-wheeled car. Needs a lot of time/effort which I don't have. I would rather spend this time creating a new app with new features.
    Even adding to GR of a such minimal feature as a Midi Clock support (which I'm currently doing), leads me to a total rewriting of the main blocks of the GR's sequencing engine these days. It is now causing Ableton Link problems, as well as IAA host sync problems, and even simple playback issues now. I'm fixing these things right now, taking in account that many users are already using GR without Midi Clock, to ensure that this update will not harm them.

@jimpavloff cool i understand the complexity Keep up the good work :-)

• @db909 said:

@rs2000 said:

@jimpavloff said:

@ksound said:

@jimpavloff said:

Well said

I agree 100%

• @jimpavloff Are you working on or planning seperate multiple outputs so can route seperate pad outputs to AUM Auria etc?

• @stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff Are you working on or planning seperate multiple outputs so can route seperate pad outputs to AUM Auria etc?

I have tried to implement multiouts, but abandoned it because it worsened overall audio playback stability. So, no, I'm not planning multiouts currently.

• edited June 2018

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff Are you working on or planning seperate multiple outputs so can route seperate pad outputs to AUM Auria etc?

I have tried to implement multiouts, but abandoned it because it worsened overall audio playback stability. So, no, I'm not planning multiouts currently.

@jimpavloff Ok cheers for attempting though

• edited June 2018

@jimpavloff said:

@Samu said:

Oh boy. Is this like the '64bit only' apocalypse then?