Skip to content

Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

Comments

• @gizmoismogwai said:
    Does anyone know why you can’t use the arp functions with a midi controller? Arp only works for me when I play notes via the onscreen pads. Is there some way to change this?

Just giving this question a little bump- I noticed that Poison 202 supports playing the arp mode via midi controller. GarageBand is another app that doesn’t, however. Not sure why it works to some and not for others. Being able to use the arp with my midi keyboard in Grooverider would be such a game changer- could play much more complicate chords over larger pitch ranges into it.

I’ve been gear hunting for years and not one piece of several hundred dollar equipment brings me as much joy as this app does. I actually just sold my Electribe Sampler and Volca Sample after thinking I’d never do that, because of how satisfying GR is. @jimpavloff you’re a hero!

• Getting pretty pumped for the next update which has been teased on Facebook a little bit. ETA?

• @db909 said:
    Getting pretty pumped for the next update which has been teased on Facebook a little bit. ETA?

I'm currently working on it. It will bring Midi Clock, Midi Learn, Midi Control "Catch" mode, and Sample Reverse features, plus some various bug fixes. Most of the things already done.

• @jimpavloff said:

@db909 said:
    Getting pretty pumped for the next update which has been teased on Facebook a little bit. ETA?

I'm currently working on it. It will bring Midi Clock, Midi Learn, Midi Control "Catch" mode, and Sample Reverse features, plus some various bug fixes. Most of the things already done.

Dope

• @jimpavloff said:

@db909 said:

Sounds awesome 😎

• @jimpavloff said:

MIDI Learn!!!!!!! Awesome!!!!!! and "catch" mode makes life a lot easier with MIDI controls.

• edited June 2018

@jimpavloff it would be really good if the user could hold & drag a pattern(s) in the patterns list when doing chain patterns arranging = Quicker arranging
    Also in general pattern moving too

• @gizmoismogwai said:

@gizmoismogwai said:
    Does anyone know why you can’t use the arp functions with a midi controller? Arp only works for me when I play notes via the onscreen pads. Is there some way to change this?

Just giving this question a little bump- I noticed that Poison 202 supports playing the arp mode via midi controller. GarageBand is another app that doesn’t, however. Not sure why it works to some and not for others. Being able to use the arp with my midi keyboard in Grooverider would be such a game changer- could play much more complicate chords over larger pitch ranges into it.

I’ve been gear hunting for years and not one piece of several hundred dollar equipment brings me as much joy as this app does. I actually just sold my Electribe Sampler and Volca Sample after thinking I’d never do that, because of how satisfying GR is. @jimpavloff you’re a hero!

I agree 100000000% iam actually selling my AKAI MPC and AKAI S950 since getting GR My AKAI MPC STUDIO BLACK is also redundant since GR

• @gizmoismogwai said:

I don’t own Groove Rider GR and I don’t have any experience with this kind of groove apps. Please allow me two questions...

Is Groove Rider something like the Native Instruments Maschine for iOS?

If someone is interested in experimental electronical music but not in EDM music you would recommend GR to him?

• @chandroji said:

@gizmoismogwai said:

I don’t own Groove Rider GR and I don’t have any experience with this kind of groove apps. Please allow me two questions...

Is Groove Rider something like the Native Instruments Maschine for iOS?

I'd say there are more differences that similarities, although of course both have pads and can record your playing.
    GR-16 is much more. Jim Pavloff has taken the time to write an excellent PDF manual, and I recommend taking the time to read it.

If someone is interested in experimental electronical music but not in EDM music you would recommend GR to him?

That would be like recommending a DAW to somebody without knowing his preferred workflow.
    You have synthesis, sample import, FX, parameter variation/automation for each step, you can either play the pads directly or attach a MIDI keyboard to record, and much more.
    Operation is much like on a hardware Electribe - you either love it or hate it.

Reading the manual and watching a few youtube videos will certainly give you a good impression.

• edited June 2018

@rs2000 said
    Reading the manual and watching a few youtube videos will certainly give you a good impression.

Thanks a lot for your feedback @rs2000 !
    I will have a look in the manual. That’s a good idea!
    All videos I have seen so far were EDM based. It seems very difficult to find something different. 😎

P.S. / edit
    I didn’t see your post anymore after my reply. Strange..😩

• @chandroji said:

@rs2000 said

All videos I have seen so far were EDM based. It seems very difficult to find something different. 😎

P.S. / edit

It can make whatever kind of music you want. Except maybe anything requiring drones longer than four bars because each pattern is limited to 4 bars. You chain patterns together of course. if people are making EDM predominantly its only because the type of interface is an interface that has traditionally been used by people in that area. Nothing to do with what notes you compose or what vibes you create. And with sample import you can put whatever sounds you need in there. I would say the same thing about any daw or app that offers this level of control.

• @chandroji said:

@rs2000 said

P.S. / edit

You would do better to watch videos of experimental electronic music made on the Electribe/electribe Sampler or the Digitakt. Just about anything you can do on those machines you can do in this app, with the exception actually sampling. But even that is accomplished easily by capturing samples with AudioShare and then importing them in.

• edited June 2018

Just jumped on the GR-16 hype train. It's really good. Was hard to get a sense of it just from the images and description but this feels like a piece of hardware. I've been wanting to get my hands on something like a Beatstep Pro so I can just do everything from one place but this scratches that itch. I haven't even tried it with MIDI out yet. Exciting!

@jimpavloff - The only real request I have atm (as it seems you've thought of literally everything else) is the option to have different bar lengths per part, like Maschine. So for instance if I set the pattern length to 2 bars, I should be able to set a part within that to 7 steps, and get 7 steps looping underneath 32. Currently I'm not sure how it behaves, and I can't quite figure out what a maximum of 16 steps means in a 32 or 64 step sequence, or how numbers less than 16 behave in this instance. Maybe you can shine a light on this?

Oh also, playback direction per part would be amazing too. Forwards, backwards, ping pong, pendulum and random. That's literally the only other thing that feels like it's missing.

But yeah I mean. I've seen people praising this and couldn't figure out what the hype was about from just the images or even videos. But it's really an amazing piece of work. All that power from one screen and one set of controls. If this was hardware I would throw all the money at you!

• I'm in course of the study: Groove Rider GR-16, EBM session. https://youtu.be/K5aSUOdhYOE

• In the course of the studyGroove Rider GR-16, EBM session. https://youtu.be/K5aSUOdhYOE

• @chimp_spanner said:
    Just jumped on the GR-16 hype train. It's really good. Was hard to get a sense of it just from the images and description but this feels like a piece of hardware. I've been wanting to get my hands on something like a Beatstep Pro so I can just do everything from one place but this scratches that itch. I haven't even tried it with MIDI out yet. Exciting!

@jimpavloff - The only real request I have atm (as it seems you've thought of literally everything else) is the option to have different bar lengths per part, like Maschine. So for instance if I set the pattern length to 2 bars, I should be able to set a part within that to 7 steps, and get 7 steps looping underneath 32. Currently I'm not sure how it behaves, and I can't quite figure out what a maximum of 16 steps means in a 32 or 64 step sequence, or how numbers less than 16 behave in this instance. Maybe you can shine a light on this?

Oh also, playback direction per part would be amazing too. Forwards, backwards, ping pong, pendulum and random. That's literally the only other thing that feels like it's missing.

But yeah I mean. I've seen people praising this and couldn't figure out what the hype was about from just the images or even videos. But it's really an amazing piece of work. All that power from one screen and one set of controls. If this was hardware I would throw all the money at you!

You can change part length in steps by setting part's "Steps" parameter, located in the Part menu. It can be set from 1 to 16.

• @jimpavloff would it be possible to add a new scale at some point? I really like the Egyptian pentatonic scale which can be found in the Moog and Korg apps and others. It’s really catchy and great for lead melodies

• @db909 said:
    @jimpavloff would it be possible to add a new scale at some point? I really like the Egyptian pentatonic scale which can be found in the Moog and Korg apps and others. It’s really catchy and great for lead melodies

Do you mean 1, 2, 4, 5, b7 pentatonic scale?

• edited June 2018

@jimpavloff said:

@db909 said:
    @jimpavloff would it be possible to add a new scale at some point? I really like the Egyptian pentatonic scale which can be found in the Moog and Korg apps and others. It’s really catchy and great for lead melodies

Yes. So in C it’s CDFGA#

• @db909 said:

@jimpavloff said:

@db909 said:

Yes. So in C it’s CDFGA#

Maybe I'll add it in the future. By the way, you can already get the exactly same scale steps from my "Major Penta" scale, just transposed a fourth. So, choose F Major penta and you'll play Egyptian pentatonic in C key right now :smile: )

• edited June 2018

GR 16 is awesome. I hope we'll see a GR 64 or something eventually. 4 banks with unlimited pattern lengths and all the bells and whistles of the current GR, (maybe more synth and sample options as well).

• edited June 2018

@jimpavloff said:

@db909 said:

@jimpavloff said:

@db909 said:

Yes. So in C it’s CDFGA#

Maybe I'll add it in the future. By the way, you can already get the exactly same scale steps from my "Major Penta" scale, just transposed a fourth. So, choose F Major penta and you'll play Egyptian pentatonic in C key right now :smile: )

I thought major penta was 1,2,3,5,6. How would that be the same? I have to admit I am confused now! :D

• @db909 said:

@jimpavloff said:

@db909 said:

@jimpavloff said:

@db909 said:

Yes. So in C it’s CDFGA#

I thought major penta was 1,2,3,5,6. How would that be the same? I have to admit I am confused now! :D

It is 1,2,3,5,6. But if you start counting from 2th step and take it as tonic, you'll get b7,1,2,4,5. And yes, my mistake, C Egyptian penta = A# Major penta, not the F as I said.

• @jimpavloff said:

@db909 said:

@jimpavloff said:

@db909 said:

@jimpavloff said:

@db909 said:

Yes. So in C it’s CDFGA#

It is 1,2,3,5,6. But if you start counting from 2th step and take it as tonic, you'll get b7,1,2,4,5. And yes, my mistake, C Egyptian penta = A# Major penta, not the F as I said.

Ahh got it

• WOW!
    Proper MIDI Clock support. And a latency correction that actually works.

THANK YOU Mr Genius @jimpavloff <3

What some developers struggled with for years, Jim does in a week B)

My hardware groove boxes get ready for a massive party!

• AWESOME update. Thank you.

• Congrats.. it’s massive... maybe it will sync well with FLStudio on my desktop...

Thanks..

• Thanks for the nice update :)

I hope that midi learn for the jog wheel and other buttons is coming too. I feel that the jog wheel is the most in need of this as this type of menu control is designed for hardware interaction.