Skip to content

Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

Comments

• edited June 2018

@jimpavloff excellent new update Wow The peak level indicators are genius Thanks dude

• Midi “Catch”. what and how does that work?

• Great update @jimpavloff

• @jimpavloff just when I think this app cannot possible be improved you go and push the bar even higher. Amazing work :)

• @Carnbot said:
    Thanks for the nice update :)

I hope that midi learn for the jog wheel and other buttons is coming too. I feel that the jog wheel is the most in need of this as this type of menu control is designed for hardware interaction.

Jog Wheel cannot be controlled by midi because midi controllers are limited to min/max value, and the Jog Wheel is not. So you would not be able to rotate it as you do now.

• love the new sample reverse feature. is there a way to adjust the speed of the sample playback?

• @eross said:
    love the new sample reverse feature. is there a way to adjust the speed of the sample playback?

Yes, note's pitch.

• @jimpavloff said:

@Carnbot said:

I hope that midi learn for the jog wheel and other buttons is coming too. I feel that the jog wheel is the most in need of this as this type of menu control is designed for hardware interaction.

Jog Wheel cannot be controlled by midi because midi controllers are limited to min/max value, and the Jog Wheel is not. So you would not be able to rotate it as you do now.

ah ok, I see :) how about OSC? does that have the same restrictions?

• @jimpavloff said:

@Carnbot said:

Would relative MIDI work?
    https://intua.net/forums/index.php?p=/discussion/4776/relative-midi

This update is beautiful, and I think there should be a day or two halt on feature requests while we celebrate it.

• Preset sounds. FUCK. YES. And chain to “next pattern”, awesome. Thanks Jim!

• edited June 2018

Couldnt find the presets at first, but now I got em. Cool

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited June 2018

Yes, but the thing is that there's more than one "standard" for relative MIDI CC messages that would all have to be supported for such a feature to make sense (Check Ableton Live for a list of the most common ones ;).
    (BTW, I find the jog wheel quite usable as-is)

• @jimpavloff said:

@eross said:
    love the new sample reverse feature. is there a way to adjust the speed of the sample playback?

Yes, note's pitch.

awesome. so what does repitch do at the sample editing screen?

• @eross said:

@jimpavloff said:

@eross said:

Yes, note's pitch.

Repitch automatically scales (pitches) a sample loop to fit current BPM.

• Preset sounds really peaks my interest!

• @jimpavloff said:

@eross said:

@jimpavloff said:

@eross said:

Yes, note's pitch.

Thanks. Man, this app keeps getting better and better. All your apps are great. So do you have any new apps in the works?

• @jimpavloff
    after playing a midi keyboard into Grooverider today. i thought of this. Not sure if it is possible currently
    , but maybe it can be in the future. I use it In Cubase on my desktop all the time. it’s really nice. midi step recording. https://youtu.be/9RF8X1n1mdw

• edited June 2018

Actually it is possible, you just select the part you want to step-record on, hit [EDIT], then [KEYS] and you'll see the piano roll with the cursor at step 1. Playing a note on the keyboard will toggle that note on/off. Once set (either one note or a chord), hit the [arrow down] button to proceed to the next step and so on.
    You can change note lengths afterwards by selecting the "Length" field above the piano roll and turning the value dial.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @jimpavloff looks like you can’t save presets with imported sounds. Gives me the “not found” error when reselecting them. Can this be fixed?

• @db909 said:
    @jimpavloff looks like you can’t save presets with imported sounds. Gives me the “not found” error when reselecting them. Can this be fixed?

Seems like a bug. I'll check that out.

• @Dawdles said:

@LucidMusicInc said:
    Preset sounds really peaks my interest!

Very useful. Although I'm struggling to see how to create/name banks? 'user' is OK as last resort but not so great if you make a ton of bass/lead/pad/noise/kicks/snares/hats and so on and have to sift through to find what you're looking for....Is 'bank create/name' currently possible @jimpavloff ? Thanks

Currently there is only one User presets bank. Will think about adding more in the future.

• @eross said:

@jimpavloff said:

@eross said:

@jimpavloff said:

@eross said:

Yes, note's pitch.

Thanks. Man, this app keeps getting better and better. All your apps are great. So do you have any new apps in the works?

Not yet... Throw me an idea! ))

• @jimpavloff said:

@eross said:

@jimpavloff said:

@eross said:

@jimpavloff said:

@eross said:

Yes, note's pitch.

I’d love an app host that builds off of Groove Rider! Sequencing aUv3 apps and effects with this workflow would be amazing. More robust sample and looping options. Plocks as well. That’s my vote.

• @bcrichards said:

@jimpavloff said:

@eross said:

@jimpavloff said:

@eross said:

@jimpavloff said:

@eross said:

Yes, note's pitch.

I’d love an app host that builds off of Groove Rider! Sequencing aUv3 apps and effects with this workflow would be amazing. More robust sample and looping options. Plocks as well. That’s my vote.

I thought about DAW, but it will rip off many live functions. The main - loading/switching patterns on the fly during playback. That's impossible in DAW.
    What is so special in Groove Rider's workflow, which you lack in another DAW's?

• The spontaneity of it, mostly. You can easily do everything from groove rider in a daw, but I don’t have nearly as much fun doing it. I’m sure your next project will be an insta-buy no matter what.

• @bcrichards said:
    The spontaneity of it, mostly. You can easily do everything from groove rider in a daw, but I don’t have nearly as much fun doing it. I’m sure your next project will be an insta-buy no matter what.

Ok, if you say "fun", what is the most "funniest" feature in Groove Rider for you which is absent in the other DAW's? Is this pads playing? Step sequencing? Turning knobs and recording automation? Or maybe selecting samples?

• edited June 2018

@jimpavloff said:

@eross said:

@jimpavloff said:

@eross said:

@jimpavloff said:

@eross said:

Yes, note's pitch.

@jimpavloff said:

@bcrichards said:
    The spontaneity of it, mostly. You can easily do everything from groove rider in a daw, but I don’t have nearly as much fun doing it. I’m sure your next project will be an insta-buy no matter what.

Ok, if you say "fun", what is the most "funniest" feature in Groove Rider for you which is absent in the other DAW's? Is this pads playing? Step sequencing? Turning knobs and recording automation? Or maybe selecting samples?

Fun is definitely the right direction. For me the funnest part of Grooverider is playing the touchpad in conjunction with the erase button like I’ve said before. It allows you to continuously jam over a short pattern and basically sculpt and fine tune it on the fly with the erase button which I find leads to colorful phrases that I otherwise would not have composed or recorded with normal playing. And the immediate turning of knobs for automation recording is also very fun.

The immediacy of the interface, so many musics functions right there ready to be tweaked is inherently fun.

As for another app, my vote would be for an “iKaossilator pro” type interface. XY Grid Music Bonanza (working title). I feel this could be another interface where everything is immediate and with a minimum of screens/pages. The core of it revolves around a giant xy grid with two modes of operation. One would allow you to play and record scales across the x axis and assign an expressive synth parameter to the y, the other mode would be fx and everything else. So you’d fire the app up, choose a sound, and begin recording immediately. Then flip to the fx mode. Say I want a flanger, I assign a flanger to the fx pad and go wild with recording. Now I want filter cutoff and resonance, assign that to an additional slot, record that on the pad. Volume, panning, everything else, record that on the pad (which would also have a hold mode of course). So there would be slots along the edges of the fx pad where you would assign the fx and you can select and re record them freely and the same paradigm for instruments on the scale pad. So the entire workflow is basically just switching between these two modes of operation: scale and fx and then you’re just freely scribbling music all over these xy pads. I call that fun music making on a touch screen.

This is basically the workflow hinted at in iKaossilator and Figure which sadly remain underdeveloped.

Which reminds me, is there still a chance of that additional erase/record mode we mentioned a while back?

• @jimpavloff said:

@bcrichards said:

@jimpavloff for me it’s the same reason that hardware grooveboxes are fun: the immediacy of so much functionality being consolidated on a single interface or screen. Want to tweak something? Just reach and turn a knob. It means you think less and act more. And you even managed to make the menu diving feel quick and easy, but I’m still able to reach for knobs and tweak while I’m in a menu.

I have to tell you man, your app has changed my music making life. I haven’t been this productive in years. I’m so pumped to try out midi sync this weekend. If GR connected to Logic via lightning cable for audio recording and midi sync works like I hope, I’m not sure I need anything more to make tunes.

Still wonder though why arp mode can’t be controlled by external midi controllers though!