Skip to content

Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

Comments

• @db909 said:

@jimpavloff said:

@eross said:

@jimpavloff said:

@eross said:

@jimpavloff said:

@eross said:
    love the new sample reverse feature. is there a way to adjust the speed of the sample playback?

Yes, note's pitch.

awesome. so what does repitch do at the sample editing screen?

Repitch automatically scales (pitches) a sample loop to fit current BPM.

Thanks. Man, this app keeps getting better and better. All your apps are great. So do you have any new apps in the works?

Not yet... Throw me an idea! ))
    @jimpavloff said:

@bcrichards said:
    The spontaneity of it, mostly. You can easily do everything from groove rider in a daw, but I don’t have nearly as much fun doing it. I’m sure your next project will be an insta-buy no matter what.

Ok, if you say "fun", what is the most "funniest" feature in Groove Rider for you which is absent in the other DAW's? Is this pads playing? Step sequencing? Turning knobs and recording automation? Or maybe selecting samples?

Fun is definitely the right direction. For me the funnest part of Grooverider is playing the touchpad in conjunction with the erase button like I’ve said before. It allows you to continuously jam over a short pattern and basically sculpt and fine tune it on the fly with the erase button which I find leads to colorful phrases that I otherwise would not have composed or recorded with normal playing. And the immediate turning of knobs for automation recording is also very fun.

The immediacy of the interface, so many musics functions right there ready to be tweaked is inherently fun.

As for another app, my vote would be for an “iKaossilator pro” type interface. XY Grid Music Bonanza (working title). I feel this could be another interface where everything is immediate and with a minimum of screens/pages. The core of it revolves around a giant xy grid with two modes of operation. One would allow you to play and record scales across the x axis and assign an expressive synth parameter to the y, the other mode would be fx and everything else. So you’d fire the app up, choose a sound, and begin recording immediately. Then flip to the fx mode. Say I want a flanger, I assign a flanger to the fx pad and go wild with recording. Now I want filter cutoff and resonance, assign that to an additional slot, record that on the pad. Volume, panning, everything else, record that on the pad (which would also have a hold mode of course). So there would be slots along the edges of the fx pad where you would assign the fx and you can select and re record them freely and the same paradigm for instruments on the scale pad. So the entire workflow is basically just switching between these two modes of operation: scale and fx and then you’re just freely scribbling music all over these xy pads. I call that fun music making on a touch screen.

This is basically the workflow hinted at in iKaossilator and Figure which sadly remain underdeveloped.

Which reminds me, is there still a chance of that additional erase/record mode we mentioned a while back?

I like the idea of the slots alongside he pad loaded with effects.

• @jimpavloff said:

@bcrichards said:
    The spontaneity of it, mostly. You can easily do everything from groove rider in a daw, but I don’t have nearly as much fun doing it. I’m sure your next project will be an insta-buy no matter what.

Ok, if you say "fun", what is the most "funniest" feature in Groove Rider for you which is absent in the other DAW's? Is this pads playing? Step sequencing? Turning knobs and recording automation? Or maybe selecting samples?

For me, it’s your sequencer and the ability to jump around which sounds you’re playing and editing. It feels like hardware, not like a daw. I love using it for midi sequencing other apps, but then I lose out on being able to quickly make adjustments to the sound and record automations.

Wouldn’t it be possible for an app (not necessarily yours) to host AUs, sequence then, as well as allow for automation recording or p-locking? I get what you’re saying about jumping between patterns not working with the structure you’ve built for Groove Rider. The app I’d love for you or someone else to build might have to have use a project - pattern structure, where all patterns live in a project that uses the same AUs/IAA apps.

• edited June 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited June 2018

@Dawdles said:

@jimpavloff said:

@eross said:

@jimpavloff said:

@eross said:

@jimpavloff said:

@eross said:
    love the new sample reverse feature. is there a way to adjust the speed of the sample playback?

Yes, note's pitch.

Thanks. Man, this app keeps getting better and better. All your apps are great. So do you have any new apps in the works?

Same as gr16 but host AU instruments and fx with p-locks, Expandable browser/piano roll/nested folders in files, more lfos and a more traditional mod matrix and throw in octatrack scenes banks as a new x/y pad function, record separate stems of performace.....Job done ;)

I second this. I will literally throw money at you if you made this. Also. Multiouts. You can skip internal fx if this makes it easier to do since I do most of my bussing etc in Aum anyways.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@Dawdles said:

@jimpavloff said:

@eross said:

@jimpavloff said:

@eross said:

@jimpavloff said:

@eross said:

Yes, note's pitch.

Same as gr16 but host AU instruments and fx with p-locks, Expandable browser/piano roll/nested folders in files, more lfos and a more traditional mod matrix and throw in octatrack scenes banks as a new x/y pad function, record separate stems of performace.....Job done ;)

I second this. I will literally throw money at you if you made this. Also. Multiouts. You can skip internal fx if this makes it easier to do since I do most of my bussing etc in Aum anyways.

I think the way you can apply fx on the pocket operators would benefit this kind of app

• @db909 said:

@jimpavloff said:

@eross said:

@jimpavloff said:

@eross said:

@jimpavloff said:

@eross said:

Yes, note's pitch.

@jimpavloff said:

@bcrichards said:

Fun is definitely the right direction. For me the funnest part of Grooverider is playing the touchpad in conjunction with the erase button like I’ve said before. It allows you to continuously jam over a short pattern and basically sculpt and fine tune it on the fly with the erase button which I find leads to colorful phrases that I otherwise would not have composed or recorded with normal playing. And the immediate turning of knobs for automation recording is also very fun.

The immediacy of the interface, so many musics functions right there ready to be tweaked is inherently fun.

As for another app, my vote would be for an “iKaossilator pro” type interface. XY Grid Music Bonanza (working title). I feel this could be another interface where everything is immediate and with a minimum of screens/pages. The core of it revolves around a giant xy grid with two modes of operation. One would allow you to play and record scales across the x axis and assign an expressive synth parameter to the y, the other mode would be fx and everything else. So you’d fire the app up, choose a sound, and begin recording immediately. Then flip to the fx mode. Say I want a flanger, I assign a flanger to the fx pad and go wild with recording. Now I want filter cutoff and resonance, assign that to an additional slot, record that on the pad. Volume, panning, everything else, record that on the pad (which would also have a hold mode of course). So there would be slots along the edges of the fx pad where you would assign the fx and you can select and re record them freely and the same paradigm for instruments on the scale pad. So the entire workflow is basically just switching between these two modes of operation: scale and fx and then you’re just freely scribbling music all over these xy pads. I call that fun music making on a touch screen.

This is basically the workflow hinted at in iKaossilator and Figure which sadly remain underdeveloped.

Which reminds me, is there still a chance of that additional erase/record mode we mentioned a while back?

+1 for sure on the x y Pads. Wouldn’t that just be the business. This would take the app into another world.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @jimpavloff I have just looked back over the version history for this app and I want you to know that you deserve a medal! What an amazing example of continuous improvement and judiciously listening to user requests. You do it without a lot of fanfare and self-promotion as well that it is easy to miss just what a great example of development this app is.

I can see a community of shared tracks developing all made by GR-16 (similar to the Gadget tracks) as word spreads. Hey, that could be my feature request! Create a platform where we can download and remix other users tracks and kits within the app. Only if it helps this app achieve the global domination it deserves, that is.

Respect! 👊

• @db909 said:

@jimpavloff said:

@eross said:

@jimpavloff said:

@eross said:

@jimpavloff said:

@eross said:

Yes, note's pitch.

@jimpavloff said:

@bcrichards said:

That is interesting, I like the idea! Sounds like something original...
    And I remember about recording mode, it just turned out that it's not so easy to implement.

• @Dawdles said:
    Still would love to see a 'keyboard' option for 'keys' mode.... Not a fan of using the pads for melodic input...

I still keep that in mind.

• @Dawdles said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Dawdles said:
    Still would love to see a 'keyboard' option for 'keys' mode.... Not a fan of using the pads for melodic input...

It's a pretty big deal for keyboard players ;) I only do beats in GR16 because of this.... Melodic stuff feels like too much hard work.

Funny cause I actually have a hard time with drum beats in this. I’m used to programming drums in a grid where you can see the whole kit but I’m getting used to it. For melodies I just set quantize to start and end and just shred on the pads and touchpad, using the erase button to kind of chop things up and/or replace notes. You can also use the 4 voice limit and the way the voice stealing works to your advantage to get lots of cool riffs. Basically just mashing away until it sounds cool. And the editor can obviously be used to clean up stray notes. Feels pretty fast efficient for me

• Had a real good session with Grooverider last night. Realized I’d been missing out on the joys of master fx automation and switching the master fx send on and off for various instruments. Then you go back and automate the hell out of instruments with the MFX automation on and things really come alive. Everything interacts with everything else in such a pleasing manner. Like don’t skimp on the insert fx or tweaking the sends live and the stereo delay. It all makes a huge difference

• @Dawdles said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Dawdles said:

It's a pretty big deal for keyboard players ;) I only do beats in GR16 because of this.... Melodic stuff feels like too much hard work.

Does it have MIDI input so you could BYOK?

• @Dawdles said:

@ksound said:

@Dawdles said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Dawdles said:

Yeh there's no prob when used with external. Im mostly just snatching 20 minute iPad sessions here and there tho so I rarely have a keyboard or the right environment for one...

But you could use another app’s keyboard, or something like Sidecar.

• And the fix is in, saving presets with imported sounds works now. Thanks Jim!

• @ksound said:

@Dawdles said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Dawdles said:

Yes, wired MIDI works out-of-the-box.
    I use an Arturia Keystep keyboard with Bluetooth MIDI adapter for live and step entry, works great.
    The only thing you cannot do inside GR is enable Bluetooth MIDI ports, I'm using the Korg "BLE-MIDI" app for that.

• edited June 2018

@gizmoismogwai said:

...experimental electronic music made on the Electribe/electribe Sampler or the Digitakt. Just about anything you can do on those machines you can do in this app, with the exception actually sampling. But even that is accomplished easily by capturing samples with AudioShare and then importing them in.

This sold me Groove Rider!
    I was / I’m very interested in Digitakt! I would be very happy to save more than 600.-€ using GR instead Digitakt. Is it really comparable? What about the workflow? I’ve stayed away from Digitakt because I was afraid for a high learning curve and a complicated workflow?
    The UI in GR looks more useable and cleaner for me than the Digitakt.

One question:
    Can I control GR with an Arturia Beatstep Controller? With the new Midi Learn Funktion in GR it seems it can be the perfect controller for GR. If so will Beatstep reflect al the GR states in their lightning pads?

In the biggest music shop in Berlin (Just Music) they told me it is not possible because Beatstep is an sequencer but not a midi controller. But I’m not sure they are right. My feeling is they gave me wrong information... 😎

Anyway, I own GR since a few days and I had a lot of fun already. Slowly I understand how GR works. I welcome the new update specially the midi learn functionality. I’m curious to explore more and more functions.

Up to now I like Groove Rider GR (not for the factory presets but for the functionality). I don’t want to make EDM music... 😎

Thanks a lot for your feedback!

• Thank's for the MIDI learn!!!

Do you have plans for mute/unmute via external MIDI?

• @jimpavloff

I have a bug to squash.

The FX are not selecting as expected and the graphic that shows the tick for the selected fx stays on the default and I can’t get the filter to work.

I have done a screen grab video if you wish I can send to u (let me know where to)?

• @Dawdles said:

@ksound said:

@Dawdles said:

@ksound said:

@Dawdles said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Dawdles said:

Yeh there's no prob when used with external. Im mostly just snatching 20 minute iPad sessions here and there tho so I rarely have a keyboard or the right environment for one...

But you could use another app’s keyboard, or something like Sidecar.

Not really in to using multiple apps unless totally necessary (I’d rather clunk along using the pads in this case than use an eternal app keyboard), hate the multi app workflow and normally end up just using something else ;)

So you can’t be bothered to use a split screen app but feel OK about asking the developer to put work hours into shoehorning a keyboard interface into a groovebox? Fantastic.

• edited June 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited June 2018

@chandroji said:
    I was / I’m very interested in Digitakt! I would be very happy to save more than 600.-€ using GR instead Digitakt. Is it really comparable? What about the workflow? I’ve stayed away from Digitakt because I was afraid for a high learning curve and a complicated workflow?

The Digitakt has insane hands-on control, is much easier to work with than an Octatrack/OT2 and as a lot of its workflow is based around sampling, samples, resampling and control/modulation, plus 8 MIDI tracks that can also be used as CC controller tracks (for your external MIDI synths or iPad apps) including all the parameter locking and CC modulation features, it's not really comparable. GR on the other hand has synthesis and FX features on each part which are deeper than what the Digitakt can offer. On paper, yes, the features look similar, but working with both is quite a different experience overall. As a result, what you compose on the Digitakt will certainly sound different from what you do on Gr-16.
    I love and own both, and since the recent addition of MIDI clock sync, both run together in perfect sync like a dream, even over Bluetooth MIDI.

The UI in GR looks more useable and cleaner for me than the Digitakt.

You cannot judge until you've taken your time with the Digitakt and actually worked with it.
    If the music store is not too far away from you, then just try it for a few hours, but make sure to watch enough Digitakt youtube videos before so you know what to expect.
    The first time I used it, it remembered me of the first affordable samplers in the 80s and the fact that they have put so many great workflow ideas in it made me smile.
    They have eliminated some features from the Octatrack but also reduced the menu depth to build a rugged steel box that's more immediate and less convoluted to work with.
    It's still definitely a "technical" instrument geared towards rhythmic, electronic and experimental styles.
    It's also better to use it frequently because I have to admit that it's easier to remember how to use GR than all the little tricks in the Digitakt - if you want to make the best use of it, that is.
    Hey, if you preferred a blues band, you would just have joined one instead, right? B)

One question:
    Can I control GR with an Arturia Beatstep Controller? With the new Midi Learn Funktion in GR it seems it can be the perfect controller for GR. If so will Beatstep reflect al the GR states in their lightning pads?

Controllers are a very personal thing, hard to say. I'm using Keystep to enter notes and Digitakt as the master transport. I find the on-screen controls of GR good enough and although I own a beatstep myself, I'd rather save the space on my desk and/or put a blofeld instead. Note also that for SHIFT+TURN fine adjustments you have to use the UI of GR anyway.
    Otherwise, Beatstep has a good control editor from Arturia and its 16 knobs are great. GR has no support for relative MIDI CC so when turning a knob you either have parameter jumps or limited ranges, but it's better than nothing.

And no, AFAIK there is no way for you to add LED feedback from GR, that's something that @jimpavloff would have to implement in GR.
    Parameter feedback has always been a weak spot of many MIDI-controllable FX/Synths/DAWs because every controller manufacturer has a different set of controller params and many users don't want to dig into "MIDI programming", they just wanna use them.
    A community of users where people share their controller maps for import in GR (just an example!) and help each other might be a solution, but I don't know how many people would really use them.
    GR has another big advantage: You can take and play it anywhere!

• @DaveMagoo said:
    @jimpavloff

I have a bug to squash.

The FX are not selecting as expected and the graphic that shows the tick for the selected fx stays on the default and I can’t get the filter to work.

I have done a screen grab video if you wish I can send to u (let me know where to)?

The tick won't change until you save your pattern. It shows the last saved value. You can send a video to jimaudiodsp@gmail.com