Skip to content

Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

Comments

• @db909 said:
    Having a bit of a problem. I like to sometimes build harmonies by recording over a loop playing one note at a time per pass, and I do this knowing there’s only 4 notes of polyphony to work with per part. However, even keeping it within 4 notes/4 passes, some of the voices are still cutting each other off. Which shouldn’t happen as there is absolutely no more than 4 notes playing simultaneously. I tried this with quantize on and off.

So I just tried this: I recorded one 4 bar pass that was just one droning note per bar in the bass. Then on the second pass, I just did steady quarter notes harmonizing above that. The sustain of the drones were cut off by the quarter notes even though I could hear the sustain while recording. Obviously that is not the desired result and with only 2 passes there were never more than 2 notes playing together. With 4 note polyphony I would expect this scenario would work fine. @jimpavloff can this be addressed? Or is this intended behavior and I don’t know the rules?

Edit: ok I get now that only one length/duration is possible for each step so when the quarter notes coincided, their length took priority. Bit of a bummer but that’s ok. I could probably stand to gain a thing or two by splitting my harmonies amongst different voices anyways

Ok, you got the point. If I ever will write a new app, I would like to go away from the step sequencing concept to allow more freedom in the notes arranging.

• Ok, you got the point. If I ever will write a new app, I would like to go away from the step sequencing concept to allow more freedom in the notes arranging.

Well I’m all for that. A spiritual successor to Grooverider

• edited July 2018

One thing that would be super helpful, if it’s easily doable, is a “start offset” in the pattern menu (probably right underneath the Length option, and restricted by it). Basically you choose bar 1, 2, 3, or 4 as the start of the pattern, the pattern will then begin playing at that bar when triggered. I find that often during the course of jamming and putting stuff down, that what I’m hearing as the start of my pattern is actually bar 2 or 3 or something else. It just happens sometimes when you’re jamming. Currently it’s not super easy to remedy. If I’m hearing bar 3 as the start and I go copying bar 3 to bar 1 and so on in the pattern, I’m going to lose bars. You have to make a copy of the pattern and then copy/paste back and forth between copies to get the bars reordered. And then presumably delete the copied pattern that you made purely just for this purpose. One less thing to worry about when you’re jamming around

• @db909 said:
    Edit: ok I get now that only one length/duration is possible for each step so when the quarter notes coincided, their length took priority. Bit of a bummer but that’s ok. I could probably stand to gain a thing or two by splitting my harmonies amongst different voices anyways

Four voices polyphony is four voices polyphony.
    Ever synth I know works like that: A voice has to be reserved as long as the voice is sounding. You can sometimes improve the polyphony by shortening the release times.

• @jimpavloff iam trying to use gr16 to trigger the pads in an old app called Beat Machine
    In beatmachine theres an option to change the note numbers for each of the 16 pads to correspond with any midi app for triggering
    If poss can you give me each of the 16 gr pads note numbers
    Ive also noticed in gr edit window all the 16 pads are displaying C4 but in the manual it says each pad has different note values
    Appreciate any help from anyone in the know about the pad triggering

• In GR-16 it looks looks like the pads send channels 1 to 16 on note C4 / 60.

• Shift on: blinks
    Shift off: does not blink

• edited July 2018

Right. So each pad has its own MIDI channel and you can send different notes out (e.g. Keys mode).

It would be cool if you could toggle the MIDI out to a drum pattern mode where it sends the pads as different notes on Channel 10.

• @gusgranite cheers Going to look into this a bit more Bit confusing but will challenge it Thanks again for info

• @ALB said:
    Shift on: blinks

? Thanks for info but i have no idea what this means

• @gusgranite ok i get the keys thing now shows different notes - what i need to work out now is if i can get the note numbers I will find a way - cheers

• @stormbeats said:
    @gusgranite ok i get the keys thing now shows different notes - what i need to work out now is if i can get the note numbers I will find a way - cheers

Oh man, you’ve got me in deep here... the notes it sends in keys mode depend on the key and scale set in Settings. So you’re going to try to use that mode to sequence BeatMachine?? But why??? :joy:

• YES BUT WHY!!!

• @gusgranite said:

@stormbeats said:
    @gusgranite ok i get the keys thing now shows different notes - what i need to work out now is if i can get the note numbers I will find a way - cheers

Oh man, you’ve got me in deep here... the notes it sends in keys mode depend on the key and scale set in Settings. So you’re going to try to use that mode to sequence BeatMachine?? But why??? :joy:

@gusgranite beat science - your right though it could be very stressful - i really just want to trigger the pads from Beatmachine with the GR pads - That old dinasour Beat Machine has a really good sound engine and the filters etc too

• @stormbeats said:

@gusgranite said:

@stormbeats said:

@gusgranite beat science - your right though it could be very stressful - i really just want to trigger the pads from Beatmachine with the GR pads - That old dinasour Beat Machine has a really good sound engine and the filters etc too

@gusgranite just the sequencer is very weird

• @stormbeats said:

@gusgranite said:

@stormbeats said:

MidiFlow or MidiFire / StreamByter could fix you up easy.

• @wim said:

@stormbeats said:

@gusgranite said:

@stormbeats said:

MidiFlow or MidiFire / StreamByter could fix you up easy.

@wim cheers will try those

• @wim - wow that MidiFlow looks excellent could be the one fingers crossed Will attempt this later - I put a pic a few posts back and theres a pic of the pad note numbers which can be changed in BeatMachine This MidiFlow could be the one for what Iam attempting - trigger Beatmachine pads with GR pads
    Thanks again

• MidiFlow is great, but I’m liking the convenience of StreamByter AU a lot these days. But then again, I’m pretty comfortable writing a bit of code now and then.

• 100 pages here we come :o

• wimwim
    edited July 2018

Here’s a StreamByter script that looks up note and channel substitutions for each pad coming from GR. The example below maps pads 9-16 to the notes that Ruismaker uses and changes the channel to 10 for those notes. Pads 1-8 are left unchanged.

Just for fun ...

# GR-16 pad to note converter

# Enter the note substitution (in hex) for each pad in I0. 
    # 00 means no substitution. 
    # this one is for Ruismaker on pads 9-16
    ASS I0 = 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 31 33 36 38 3A 3D 3F 42

# Enter the channel substitution (in hex) for each note in J0
    # Only 00 (no substitution) through 0F (channel 16) are accepted.
    ASS J0 = 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 09 09 09 09 09 09 09 09

ASS L0 = MC

IF IL0 != 00
      ASS M1 = IL0
    END

IF JL0 != 00
      IF JL0 <= 0F
        MAT L1 = MT + JL0
        ASS M0 = L1
      END
    END

• @wim your code works great, than you!

• @wim said:
    Here’s a StreamByter script that looks up note and channel substitutions for each pad coming from GR. The example below maps pads 9-16 to the notes that Ruismaker uses and changes the channel to 10 for those notes. Pads 1-8 are left unchanged.

Just for fun ...

# GR-16 pad to note converter

# Enter the note substitution (in hex) for each pad in I0. 
    # 00 means no substitution. 
    # this one is for Ruismaker on pads 9-16
    ASS I0 = 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 31 33 36 38 3A 3D 3F 42

# Enter the channel substitution (in hex) for each note in J0
    # Only 00 (no substitution) through 0F (channel 16) are accepted.
    ASS J0 = 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 09 09 09 09 09 09 09 09

ASS L0 = MC

IF IL0 != 00
      ASS M1 = IL0
    END

IF JL0 != 00
      IF JL0 <= 0F
        MAT L1 = MT + JL0
        ASS M0 = L1
      END
    END

Cheers will look into this

• @stormbeats said:

@ALB said:
    Shift on: blinks

? Thanks for info but i have no idea what this means

Feature request.

• @wim genius! Working good for me too.

• edited July 2018

Probably asked a few times but cannot find anything difinitive...

Is GR-16 able to import from or export to Electribe 2 Sampler?
    Is Electribe 2 Sampler able to control GR-16 via midi?

• @DaveMagoo said:
    Probably asked a few times but cannot find anything difinitive...

Is GR-16 able to import from or export to Electribe 2 Sampler?
    Is Electribe 2 Sampler able to control GR-16 via midi?

It’s able to import and export audio and has midi in and out and such. Not sure about the specifics of setting it up with the electribe

• very cool update! Microtonal scales folks. Fun to explore for sure

• @jimpavloff are you on the iOS Musicians FB group?
    You’re getting some love.