Skip to content

Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• edited July 2023

Don’t want to be negative, but this UI on iPad? And we already have something like Drambo. 🤔

Edit: This is for a Mac only app, don’t know what is wrong with me today, sry! ;)

• edited July 2023

Is it available for the ipad too?

Edit: I think I would need two screens!

• Yeah this is Mac only. I've already preordered. Been waiting on this since 2016. I know it looks busy on the screen, but it's laid out very well. I've read through all the documentation. I look at it as a Digitakt and a couple channels from Digitone all exploded out on one screen instead of menu diving and added bussing and routing options. The sequencers are genius designs and the ability to switch patterns and presets with the QWERTY keyboard is great for jams. You can record all the busses out to files in realtime and then pull those into whatever DAW you want. It's not a VST, but it does have LINK support so you can jam along side other apps. This looks like something I will be able to sit in bed with and mess with for hours.

• @drez said:
    Yeah this is Mac only. I've already preordered. Been waiting on this since 2016. I know it looks busy on the screen, but it's laid out very well. I've read through all the documentation. I look at it as a Digitakt and a couple channels from Digitone all exploded out on one screen instead of menu diving and added bussing and routing options. The sequencers are genius designs and the ability to switch patterns and presets with the QWERTY keyboard is great for jams. You can record all the busses out to files in realtime and then pull those into whatever DAW you want. It's not a VST, but it does have LINK support so you can jam along side other apps. This looks like something I will be able to sit in bed with and mess with for hours.

Ok, noticed this but overlooked it till now..

Now you made me really interested about this :lol: Thanks for inducing GAS in my head :lol:

• Hey, if it potentially replaces thousands of dollars of hardware in a convincing way it might find a fan base.

• @dendy said:

@drez said:
    Yeah this is Mac only. I've already preordered. Been waiting on this since 2016. I know it looks busy on the screen, but it's laid out very well. I've read through all the documentation. I look at it as a Digitakt and a couple channels from Digitone all exploded out on one screen instead of menu diving and added bussing and routing options. The sequencers are genius designs and the ability to switch patterns and presets with the QWERTY keyboard is great for jams. You can record all the busses out to files in realtime and then pull those into whatever DAW you want. It's not a VST, but it does have LINK support so you can jam along side other apps. This looks like something I will be able to sit in bed with and mess with for hours.

Now you made me really interested about this :lol: Thanks for inducing GAS in my head :lol:

I know you are elektron'd, but man this thing looks so fun. With your sound design skills, you could just create a bunch of samples to throw in here and sequence the F out of it. The ability to set the resolution per beat...,

This describes it in video form:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHOhI0yx-PQ

• @AlexY said:
    Is it available for the ipad too?

Edit: I think I would need two screens!

Sry, bombastic title from musicradar.com got me on the wrong foot! ;)

• @drez said:

@dendy said:

@drez said:

I know you are elektron'd, but man this thing looks so fun. With your sound design skills, you could just create a bunch of samples to throw in here and sequence the F out of it. The ability to set the resolution per beat...,

This describes it in video form:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHOhI0yx-PQ

😱🤩❤️

• ‘ This looks like something I will be able to sit in bed with and mess with for hours.’… 🤨

• @GeoTony said:
    ‘ This looks like something I will be able to sit in bed with and mess with for hours.’… 🤨

Well...the other thing.

• edited July 2023

i got in this when it was crowd sourced, (2016 was it? wow) and ive never had a mac. too cool to pass up, hoped my mac based son would use it but he is off mac now…alas.

• Significant overlap with Strokes--which is on ios--but maybe a little more normal and less modular-sounding. I prefer weird myself.

• @drez said:

Are there any demos of it's slicer? I am curious how chops work. IE - do they autochop, how long can a sample loop be..etc. I love what it can do with one shots, but I'm curious how it works with loops. Not sure if you know anything about that.

• edited July 2023

@MalphRacchio said:

@drez said:

Are there any demos of it's slicer? I am curious how chops work. IE - do they autochop, how long can a sample loop be..etc. I love what it can do with one shots, but I'm curious how it works with loops. Not sure if you know anything about that.

I didn't see anything referencing it in the docs. It feels more like a "looper" than anything, so I'd be surprised if it was designed for anything beyond 4 bars. Also it does not reference time stretch or anything, so not sure how it calculates or if you can select endpoints within a sample and have them time stretch to that, or if you can then set the number of bars within that. No details at that level in the documentation that I've seen.

• Having ableton this doesnt have any sense idk

• @Luxthor said:
    Don’t want to be negative, but this UI on iPad? And we already have something like Drambo. 🤔

Edit: This is for a Mac only app, don’t know what is wrong with me today, sry! ;)

This UI would work great on the Apple Watch.

• This is what I imagine James Holden’s max patch looks like.

• this looks incredible, would likely purchase it if I had a Mac...

• edited July 2023

@rvr said:
    Having ableton this doesnt have any sense idk

Have you seen how fast it is to modulate about anything on this? It's just a must more immediate piece of software, once you understand the GUI. Not a must have, but I have used Ableton daily for years and this is still very appealing as a complimentary piece, imo.

To me it seems like a powerful hardware groovebox if you map a controller to it.

• @MalphRacchio said:

@rvr said:

Have you seen how fast it is to modulate about anything on this? It's just a must more immediate piece of software, once you understand the GUI. Not a must have, but I have used Ableton daily for years and this is still very appealing as a complimentary piece, imo.

To me it seems like a powerful hardware groovebox if you map a controller to it.

Right. Everything is on one screen. All the sequencers, all the samplers, the 2 FM synths, the 2 scale modules, all the fx, etc. You see it all and don't "switch channels" to get to anything. It's all right there to see how everything is working together. Can't wait for it to drop tomorrow!

• @drez said:

@MalphRacchio said:

@drez said:

I didn't see anything referencing it in the docs. It feels more like a "looper" than anything, so I'd be surprised if it was designed for anything beyond 4 bars. Also it does not reference time stretch or anything, so not sure how it calculates or if you can select endpoints within a sample and have them time stretch to that, or if you can then set the number of bars within that. No details at that level in the documentation that I've seen.

4 bars is honestly fine I think. I see Division in the docs, so i think the plan for me would be to record stuff into ableton and get it trimmed to 4 bars, which I already do with Slate+Ash samplers, then throw it into this sampler.

I'd mainly be messing with vocal loops I take from records and youtube and then maybe some stuff I record off my hardware.

• @drez said:

@MalphRacchio said:

@rvr said:

Right. Everything is on one screen. All the sequencers, all the samplers, the 2 FM synths, the 2 scale modules, all the fx, etc. You see it all and don't "switch channels" to get to anything. It's all right there to see how everything is working together. Can't wait for it to drop tomorrow!

Looking forward to your thoughts. I may be grabbing it too, but if not, I'll be reading your review :)

• Yea yeah one screen, but its limited to specific workflow and cannot be integrated. I dont see how it stands against vcv2 for exaple. Well as long as there is TA its all good

• @drez said:

@MalphRacchio said:

@rvr said:

Curious if you got it, and if so how do you like it?

• @MalphRacchio said:

@drez said:

@MalphRacchio said:

@rvr said:

I've been pretty slammed with work BUT I can tell you that I'm still figuring out how to "make it do what I want" :smiley: There can be a ton of chaos if you want it, so its finding how to make all that power actually musical. Understanding how things interact with each other. Also, the bussing allows all sorts of craziness where you can share "modules" like spin across busses. The two scale engines are kinda strange, and understanding how those affect each thing you assign them too is interesting.

I'm not saying it's bad, it's just gonna take me more time to make it work for me...and I haven't had a lot of time lately :smiley:

• @drez said:

@MalphRacchio said:

@drez said:

@MalphRacchio said:

@rvr said:

I've been pretty slammed with work BUT I can tell you that I'm still figuring out how to "make it do what I want" :smiley: There can be a ton of chaos if you want it, so its finding how to make all that power actually musical. Understanding how things interact with each other. Also, the bussing allows all sorts of craziness where you can share "modules" like spin across busses. The two scale engines are kinda strange, and understanding how those affect each thing you assign them too is interesting.

I'm not saying it's bad, it's just gonna take me more time to make it work for me...and I haven't had a lot of time lately :smiley:

Awesome, I appreciate the feedback. It sounds pretty great, just will take some time to learn which is why I have not bought it yet. I have to finish up a few projects first.

Do you think it is pretty easy to map a MIDI controller to it and have it save all the mappings? Looks like a great match for some knobs.