Skip to content

Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

which effect apps do you love to use?

I have $20-30 US dollars to spend. I enjoy simple interfaces. These are the effects I have so far:

AU3FX: Dub Delay
Audio Damage: Rough Rider 3
Bleass: Delay, Granulizer, Reverb, Saturator
CHOW: Tape Model
Eventide: Blackhole
FabFilter: Saturn 2 (like the sound but not so much the UI)
Sugarbytes: Looperator, Turnado
Toneboosters: Dual VCF, EQ, Reverb

I feel like I've got a lot covered. What fx have you really enjoyed that would compliment this list?

We make dream pop, I play guitar, piano, and synths. I have the instruments I need but I thought another effect or two would be fun.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Comments

• As you play guitar a Nembrini pedal or amplifier with FX could be a nice add and they were on sale.

There are so much fx and you got yet manu of them. I would also advice you to see the AudioThing FX really pro quality that add a lot to some music styles.

• edited July 2023

FAC Alteza. One reverb to rule them all.

• wimwim
    edited July 2023

FAC Alteza
    The rest of the AU3FX bundle
    FAC Bandit
    Yukawa

Bonus pick for utility: TB Morphit

• People don't often think of Gauss as an fx app, but when you use it with the decay dialed to around 50, turn on monitor and overdub, set an interesting loop length, press record, and maybe add some delay (either Gauss's own delay or another), it can work magic. Bleass Motion FX does a lot and has a simple UI. Other Desert Cities by AudioDamage. YaleD.

• abfabf
    edited July 2023

Hey these look great so far. I'm checking them out one by one.

Gauss looks very interesting. Is it workable to make loops while playing a guitar? This could be fun.
    Also I wonder which Nembrini amps are best for clean to light crunch?
    And FAC Alteza sounds gorgeous!

• MixBox

• edited July 2023

FAC Transient (using it on drums all the time, absolutely excellent)
    FAC Medusa (literally my only one mastering plugin except of nanostudio's internal limiter)
    FAC Chorus / FAC Phaser (probably best, most wide, sounding chorus and flanger on iOS)
    Beef (amazing sounding overdrive/distortion module)
    Korvpressor (my number one compressor on iOS .. great UI, great sound, very versatile)
    Cascade (since it was released, my most favourite not-just-ordirary-reverb-but-way-much-more plugin)

Or just buy MiRack :-) It's easy to use it as Au FX, this is ALL you need to connect (input/output and FX of your choice in between) - it's almost infinite bank of interesting FX's .. There is multiple variants of every thinkable effect inside it as independent module, and the quality is absolute top notch in most cases ..

• @dendy said:
    FAC Medusa (literally my only one mastering plugin except of nanostudio's internal limiter)
    FAC Chorus / FAC Phaser (probably best, most wide, sounding chorus and flanger on iOS)
    Korvpressor (my number one compressor on iOS .. great UI, great sound, very versatile)
    Cascade (since it was released, my most favourite not-just-ordirary-reverb-but-way-much-more plugin)

Or just buy MiRack :-) It's easy to use it as Au FX, this is ALL you need to connect (input/output and FX of your choice in between) - it's almost infinite bank of interesting FX's .. There is multiple variants of every thinkable effect inside it as independent module, and the quality is absolute top notch in most cases ..

Very good choice and need to work with MiRack FX great idea . MiRack is also a VST to use on a Mac OS ?

• Effect may vary but I always use RRS eq’s and compressor (really like the one I recently bought, the RRS CL1).

• @dendy said:

That looks interesting. How do you route the incoming audio to it? Will it sit in the effect slot of AUM?
    Could you post a screenshot of the actual connection method coming from a synth/drum machine? Cheers

• As mentioned by @dendy if I could use just one effect app it would surely be miRack
    Just endless effects that can be arranged in any way you want into complex chains
    Add any LFOs or sequencers or randoms or logic, the possibilities are literally endless

Other apps I love are Cascade, Fluss, Gauss, K7D and Discord4

• edited July 2023

SB Looperator, Turnado
    FF Timeless 3, Saturn 2
    AD Other Desert Cities, Enso
    Blackhole, Cascade, Rymdigare
    TB EQ, Barricade, Reelbus

• You will maybe like Popsicle- multi effects with built routable automated x/y pad.

• Velvet machine and Rymdigare...

• @BerlinFx said:
    Very good choice and need to work with MiRack FX great idea . MiRack is also a VST to use on a Mac OS ?

Not sure about VST, but it’s available as an AUv3 on Mac.

• @bygjohn said:

@BerlinFx said:

Thanks go a Mac Silicon so should work

• Gauss, Rymdigare, Fluss and I’ll add to the chorus on MiRack.

@robosardine Yes, you can have MiRack as an effect in AUM. With 16 ins and outs, if you like (though AUM treats them as 8 pairs). I tend to load it in an effects slot by default, in case I want to pipe anything into/through it.

• @BerlinFx said:

@bygjohn said:

@BerlinFx said:

Thanks go a Mac Silicon so should work

I think it’s the same purchase - check your purchased list if you own it already.

• edited July 2023

@hghon said:
    As mentioned by @dendy if I could use just one effect app it would surely be miRack
    Just endless effects that can be arranged in any way you want into complex chains
    Add any LFOs or sequencers or randoms or logic, the possibilities are literally endless

People are often afraid of complexity - they usually see modular as big brain chaos of trillions of cables and modules .. but miRack can be used also in absolutely easy way, like example screenshot i posted above - literally just input and output modules and ONE interesting FX in between .. then if adding more complexity is needed, it can be easily altered into complete madness, but honestly in most cases this super simple way is how i use miRack .. there are tons of modules which even doesn't need any additional modulations to provide good service and to replace in terms of quality anything other existing on iOS

• edited July 2023

• @dendy said:

@hghon said:
    As mentioned by @dendy if I could use just one effect app it would surely be miRack

People are often afraid of complexity - they usually see modular as big brain chaos of trillions of cables and modules .. but miRack can be used also in absolutely easy way, like example screenshot i posted above - literally just input and output modules and ONE interesting FX in between .. then if adding more complexity is needed, it can be easily altered into complete madness, but honestly in most cases this super simple way is how i use miRack .. there are tons of modules which even doesn't need any additional modulations to provide good service and to replace in terms of quality anything other existing on iOS

Agree with you on all that, I also find that most modules are of great quality! Like Plateau in your photo is easily one of my favorite algorithmic reverbs ever.

• @dendy said:

Agreed. Some years ago I would fire up VCV Rack (miRack's sibling :lol:) or Sunvox, patch something simple up and keep the mic on the computer just capturing my work environment and was an instant ambient effect rig. The plus side is I kept it recording because if something cool came up, later I could chop it to drop into a track or make an instrument (in Beatmaker 2, Samplr or Borderlands)

• wider is free and super simple. It enhances the stereo without affecting the audio when you collapse it to mono.

tonebooster barricade is a great limiter and includes some very nice to use compressors, reeltape is awesome to for that lofi touch

• RackReverb is also free and having a lot of other reverbs I generaly go to it because it's so simple to use, just two knobs

magicswitch is great too, also free

• Also tonestack pro is $10, slapping a cabinet to any synth makes it instantly alive (the full expansion is a $60 iap, but you can wait for it to be on sale)

• @bygjohn said:
    Gauss, Rymdigare, Fluss and I’ll add to the chorus on MiRack.

@robosardine Yes, you can have MiRack as an effect in AUM. With 16 ins and outs, if you like (though AUM treats them as 8 pairs). I tend to load it in an effects slot by default, in case I want to pipe anything into/through it.

I think I’m losing my marbles - there is a thread on this already - which I took part in, but had completely forgotten about 😅. https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/35980/mi-rack-in-the-effect-slot-awesome
    Going in this time. Here we go 😛

• Play your guitar into Combustor, followed by a looong dreamy reverb.

• @robosardine said:

@bygjohn said:

I think I’m losing my marbles - there is a thread on this already - which I took part in, but had completely forgotten about 😅. https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/35980/mi-rack-in-the-effect-slot-awesome

A few quick questions - how do you delete a loaded module - also some of the modules only seem to have one input/output or none at all - what do you do with the L+R cables on these occasions?

• @robosardine said:

@robosardine said:

@bygjohn said:

A few quick questions - how do you delete a loaded module - also some of the modules only seem to have one input/output or none at all - what do you do with the L+R cables on these occasions?

Deleting a module: double tap the module to get the pop-up menu, then Manage-Delete.

On the inputs and outputs, I assume you mean for audio? A lot of modules are mono, so you can either mix L+R together (a unity mixer like BogAudio UMIX is a quick method), just use L or R, or use two of the module in question (you’ll have to match the settings etc in this case, unless you want different processing on each channel).

Modules with no audio inputs are probably not audio processors, so either audio generators (eg oscillators) or CV processors/generators. Do you have an example in mind?

• @Slava said:
    MixBox

Yep. The effects chains that come with it, plus the hundreds available here and on the web make it more than worthwhile.