Skip to content

Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Nanostudio 2 in 2023. Buy or pass

The recent thread on buying Caustic in 2023 as lead me to asking the following question.

Would you buy Nanostudio 2 in 2023 ?

I finally admitted to myself that Cubasis is not inspiring at all to work in and I am looking for another option.

Should I go NS2 or Xequence + AUM ? I work mainly in midi, only adding guitars sometimes.

Obviously many of the Caustic arguments apply to NS2.

Am I ok to spend 22$CAD and have it disappear eventually.

I know the NS2 dev as abandoned the project développement Is it as bad as Caustic dev that wants nothing to do with the project or does he would he fix stuff broken by Apple.

How stable is it in 2023 ?

Comments

• If you wants a real DAW, only Logic Pro ticks all boxes…

• @ErrkaPetti said:
    If you wants a real DAW, only Logic Pro ticks all boxes…

My iPad Pro 2017 says no way 🙁

• NanoStudio 2 is the best mobile experience I’ve had, especially on a small screen. The designer really understands UI imo.

• wimwim
    edited July 2023

NS2 isn't being developed further, but the developer is of sufficient character that I believe he would continue to fix os update introduced problems. Might take a long time though. The developer wasn't exactly speedy (he's a perfectionist) even when NS2 was firmly on the plate.

What's your tolerance for holding off on OS updates until problems are identified? If you're one of those who jumps in early, then the risk goes way up. If you're patient to wait 2-6 months, there's really no risk.

If you can deal with no audio tracks, perhaps by using audio in Slate or Obsidian, or by using something like Loopy Pro running in NS2, I'd say it's worth trying. It's a beautiful piece of software for sure.

That said, Xeqence 2 is at least as good for Midi, IMO. Combined with AUM or Loopy Pro it's a great solution if you don't mind switching between apps while working. X2 and Loopy Pro in split screen view is a very workable solution too.

• @wim said:
    NS2 isn't being developed further, but the developer is of sufficient character that I believe he would continue to fix os update introduced problems. Might take a long time though. The developer wasn't exactly speedy (he's a perfectionist) even when NS2 was firmly on the plate.

Good to know

What's your tolerance for holding off on OS updates until problems are identified? If you're one of those who jumps in early, then the risk goes way up. If you're patient to wait 2-6 months, there's really no risk.

I am still on iOS 15.7 😎

If you can deal with no audio tracks, perhaps by using audio in Slate or Obsidian, or by using something like Loopy Pro running in NS2, I'd say it's worth trying. It's a beautiful piece of software for sure.

Can Loopy hosted in NS2 or AUM record from my interface ?

That said, Xeqence 2 is at least as good for Midi, IMO. Combined with AUM or Loopy Pro it's a great solution if you don't mind switching between apps while working. X2 and Loopy Pro in split screen view is a very workable solution too.

Lots of food for thoughts . Thank you!

• I just checked. Loopy I’d 40$cad. Would the HD version work just as well for my scenario?

• @ecou said:

Can Loopy hosted in NS2 or AUM record from my interface ?

Actually, no. You can't get external audio to an FX in NS2. You'd have to record in standalone Loopy then import to the AUv3. Cut and paste would work. This is true for other AUv3 recorders such as 4Pockets Multitrack Recorder and Neon.

• @ecou said:
    I just checked. Loopy I’d 40$cad. Would the HD version work just as well for my scenario?

No.

• @ErrkaPetti said:

This….

• If you're looking for the full DAW experience, yeah Logic Pro for iPad is the way...if you have a recent iPad. Seems like you're still on a 2017 Pro, which will not run Logic Pro.

However, NS2 is very easy on the resources. I produced my most recent tracks (the Minimal Techno tracks, "Genji", and my several Justice-styled tracks all in NS2).

• @Telstar5 said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

This….

Sure if you buy me a new iPad. I won't say no 😂

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    If you're looking for the full DAW experience, yeah Logic Pro for iPad is the way...if you have a recent iPad. Seems like you're still on a 2017 Pro, which will not run Logic Pro.

However, NS2 is very easy on the resources. I produced my most recent tracks (the Minimal Techno tracks, "Genji", and my several Justice-styled tracks all in NS2).

Does NS2 or Xequence does note velocity randomizing. That is one of the biggest thing I miss on iOS.

• edited July 2023

NS2 is just such a nice clean experience. I made my best iOS tracks on it largely because I think it just feels the best to navigate. Once I settled into what it could do and accepted the limitations (no audio tracks and no AUV3 fx automation), there are tons of creative approaches otherwise, like sending midi to auv3 fx and eventually Koala came around which really helped out. Anyway it was just so very cozy and expressive for me. For me it set a bar for UX on a touch device that made Logic very very disappointing. What is the point of 'powerful features' if getting to them is a clunky uninspired wade through sludge.

• @ecou said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    If you're looking for the full DAW experience, yeah Logic Pro for iPad is the way...if you have a recent iPad. Seems like you're still on a 2017 Pro, which will not run Logic Pro.

Does NS2 or Xequence does note velocity randomizing. That is one of the biggest thing I miss on iOS.

I'm not sure Xequence 2 does it. I know NS2 doesn't. FLSM does however, but it's a bit of a walled garden, but a really good one. :)

• I do my NS2 writing on my iPhone 11 Pro and then transfer it to my 2017 iPad Pro for mixing because the faders are longer. But I don't use any AU's, I just use "in the box NS2" because its clean and fast.

• @ecou said:

No.

• I would pass on nanostudio 2 in 2023

• @AudioGus
    What is the point of 'powerful features' if getting to them is a clunky uninspired wade through sludge.

MAJOR truth, often overlooked by many...

• @ecou said:
    I finally admitted to myself that Cubasis is not inspiring at all to work in and I am looking for another option.

What do you mean by not inspiring? What do you miss in Cubasis you think you’ll find in NS2?
    While the NS2’s UI is much better and that can definitely speed up creating a song, but the workflow as such is very similar to me.

How about Zenbeats? Different concept, different inspiration,

• NS2 might be my favorite DAW if it had regular audio tracks. If you don’t need audio tracks or can live with the workarounds, then I’d say it might still worth buying.

But what works for one person doesn’t work for another. e.g. Some people really like Zenbeats, but I don’t get along with it at all. So it’s hard to say for sure.

• @GLacey said:

@ecou said:

What do you mean by not inspiring? What do you miss in Cubasis you think you’ll find in NS2?
    While the NS2’s UI is much better and that can definitely speed up creating a song, but the workflow as such is very similar to me.

I have Cubasis 2 & 3 - I’ve never completed a full song with them after several years owning - I’ve tried a few times but the workflow & features never clicked. But NS2 I’ve completed dozens of tracks and still love using it. I’ll probably continue to use it for another year or two as my main daw - and possibly look into switching over to logic when I get a new iPad in a few years. Also tried Zenbeats - and actually preferred it to Cubasis, but never really gave it too much time.

• NS2 is working great on my iPhone 8+ (iOS 16.5.1). It does what it does better than any other app if you enjoy that style of music making. Whether or not it is “right” depends upon the individual’s preferences in workflow and genre. The main con is the lack of audio tracks, but there are workarounds for that. If a person has an iPhone and iPad, then there is seemless integration of NS2 between them, and if one has made that investment in hardware, why balk at the low proce of such a fine app? The reality is that most people use a variety of iOS apps and we should feel lucky they are so cheap. I use NS2 daily and prefer it over all the other DAWs (haven’t tried Zenbeats nor Logic).

• I would buy NS2 again in 2023. I’d rather not update the OS in case I read online that an update breaks NS2. For an older device the benefit of running a convenient piece of music software outweighs additional features from newer OS versions (there are probably not a lot left for a 2017 device anyway) in my opinion. I believe the developer will try to fix any issues caused by OS updates but I don’t think there are any guarantees here.

Also, A10X might already start showing its age, but all the built-in stuff in NS2 is super resource efficient (you probably won’t be able to get any stutters with ANY amount of tracks and effects if you stick with the built-in ones).

For small pieces of audio (a few seconds long) I use Slate and Koala. This is sufficient for fx sounds, risers, chopped speech samples, bouncing small parts from AUv3 instruments to save CPU. If your genre regularly requires longer audio parts (whole vocal chorus or a 2 minute long guitar solo performed on a real guitar) you might find such tools inconvenient, but for many EDM styles this should do it

P.S. Obsidian is my favorite synth to learn synthesis. I use it for all on-your-own parts in Syntorial.

• @aoverflow
    would buy NS2 again in 2023. I’d rather not update the OS in case I read online that an update breaks NS2.

this is exactly my plan :-) with my current ipad (M1 Air) i can go in NS2 easily over 100 tracks when using just build in stuff (synth/fx), if at some point i will know that next iOS update breaks NS i just buy one or two ipads of same model, install there last usable iOS version, disable any update and keep them for future in case my devicw breaks so i can grab another device where NS2 will be running :-)) I don’t think there will be ever another DAW on iOS which can fully replace NS2 for me ..

• edited July 2023

@dendy said:

@AudioGus
    What is the point of 'powerful features' if getting to them is a clunky uninspired wade through sludge.

MAJOR truth, often overlooked by many...

@GLacey said:

@ecou said:

I did not click with Zenbeat but I will try it again.

Well exactly Audiogus and Dandy said about clunky interface. The midi editor in Cubasis 3 I find frustrating. I much préfèred Cubasis 2 editor. Oh and the annoying part of opening your midi editor and your note are note there. You have to scroll all over the place to find them.

I find myself creating much more in Caustic and in Audiobus. Because they inspire me. But they each have drawback. Caustic is a walled garden. Audiobus needs a sequencer.

I have about 10 songs I ported over to Cubasis that need finishing. But I don't feel like messing with Cubasis.

• @Slam_Cut said:
    NS2 is working great on my iPhone 8+ (iOS 16.5.1). It does what it does better than any other app if you enjoy that style of music making. Whether or not it is “right” depends upon the individual’s preferences in workflow and genre. The main con is the lack of audio tracks, but there are workarounds for that. If a person has an iPhone and iPad, then there is seemless integration of NS2 between them, and if one has made that investment in hardware, why balk at the low proce of such a fine app?

I don't have a iPhone just a iPad and I been brought up not to waste money so I am trying to figure out my next move without buying a ton of useless apps.

• @aoverflow said:
    I would buy NS2 again in 2023. I’d rather not update the OS in case I read online that an update breaks NS2. For an older device the benefit of running a convenient piece of music software outweighs additional features from newer OS versions (there are probably not a lot left for a 2017 device anyway) in my opinion. I believe the developer will try to fix any issues caused by OS updates but I don’t think there are any guarantees here.

Also, A10X might already start showing its age, but all the built-in stuff in NS2 is super resource efficient (you probably won’t be able to get any stutters with ANY amount of tracks and effects if you stick with the built-in ones).

For small pieces of audio (a few seconds long) I use Slate and Koala. This is sufficient for fx sounds, risers, chopped speech samples, bouncing small parts from AUv3 instruments to save CPU. If your genre regularly requires longer audio parts (whole vocal chorus or a 2 minute long guitar solo performed on a real guitar) you might find such tools inconvenient, but for many EDM styles this should do it

P.S. Obsidian is my favorite synth to learn synthesis. I use it for all on-your-own parts in Syntorial.

The iPad pro 2017 still as way enough power for me. II can run a dozen midi tracks in Cubasis with soft synths and Effects no problem.

What would you use for longer audio track ? Loopy ?

• @Slam_Cut said:
    Whether or not it is “right” depends upon the individual’s preferences in workflow and genre.

Agreed. NS2 and Gadget both point you in a certain direction. They can be used for other things, but their strength is sequencing synths and drums. If that's what you want to do, the tool is aligned with your task and you'll be very productive.

• @ecou said:

What would you use for longer audio track ? Loopy ?

Honestly if this is a priority I’d rather not use NS2 and stick with a DAW with proper audio track support. Nanostudio is a different kind of tool

• Not sure why people are talking about NS2 potentially not getting critical updates in the event of an OS hiccup. I guess that is more of a hypothetical worst case scenario as I really never got the sense that Matt would actually leave it hanging like that. The future roadmap refactor is a completely different issue to me. Having such a critical high bar for himself I think he would seal up any OS introduced issues right away.

For me it is totally worth the money right now to simply experience just how good certain aspects of a touch music experience can get.

Also, looking at the last update and the sync enhancements I wouldn't rule out some more pleasant surprises coming.