Skip to content

Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Plate reverbs with ducking?

Are Lunar Lander (not even available on the appstore any more, of course) and AltiSpace 2 the only reverbs that have both a plate reverb emulation and a ducking option?

Comments

• I don’t know, but if you can sidechain a compressor in the app you’re using then you can duck any reverb that way.

On Mac, the new soundtoys superplate has a cool ducking option where it reduces the decay of the reverb rather than the level of the reverb when ducking. That’s a very cool approach that would be handy on other reverb plugins.

• I have lunar lander but didn’t by the 3rd plate option before it left the App Store
    That still hurts me

• Bleass Reverb, 4 pockets visual reverb, Baby Audio Crystalline all have plate emulations and offer ducking.

• Also Toneboosters Reverb.

• @Gdub said:
    I have lunar lander but didn’t by the 3rd plate option before it left the App Store
    That still hurts me

I bought it, they turned tail and ran away from the App Store and now Lunar Lander is a costly digital doorstop on my iPad Pro.

• What is "ducking"?

• @Montreal_Music said:
    What is "ducking"?

Ducking/side chaining is the same. I may not be technical enough to properly explain it but it’s using a compressor, usually, the get a synth pad or some other sound to “duck” under a transient to create that classic thumping motion.

• @HotStrange said:

@Montreal_Music said:
    What is "ducking"?

Ducking/side chaining is the same. I may not be technical enough to properly explain it but it’s using a compressor, usually, the get a synth pad or some other sound to “duck” under a transient to create that classic thumping motion.

In a basic explanation it is using one sound to lower the volume of another. The usual technique is to pass the sound you want to lower through a compressor circuit with the threshold of the compressor being triggered by the sound you want to be louder. It’s not just for thumping.

• @NeuM said:

@Gdub said:
    I have lunar lander but didn’t by the 3rd plate option before it left the App Store
    That still hurts me

I bought it, they turned tail and ran away from the App Store and now Lunar Lander is a costly digital doorstop on my iPad Pro.

What appended to the dev? It was gone from the store before I even knew it existed

• @Mountain_Hamlet said:

@HotStrange said:

@Montreal_Music said:
    What is "ducking"?

In a basic explanation it is using one sound to lower the volume of another. The usual technique is to pass the sound you want to lower through a compressor circuit with the threshold of the compressor being triggered by the sound you want to be louder. It’s not just for thumping.

What would be the impact of reducing reverb which seems to NOT be an instaneous effect for a time based effect like reverb. If it turns down the effective reverb volume then I guess it’s make it a reverb with compression added through volume automation.

• @Mountain_Hamlet said:

@HotStrange said:

@Montreal_Music said:
    What is "ducking"?

1. Like when Tim Scott is doing an Apple presentation, every time he speaks you want the background music to get quieter automatically.

2. When the voice over on your favorite cartoon is speaking, the background is “ducked” to make his or her voice stand out.

Ducking is certainly used for a lot more than just thumping a kick drum.

• Definitely. In the case of reverb it is mainly used on vocals to prevent longer reverb sounds from muddying them too much. So you can still use a 'big' reverb on vocals if you want, without the reverb smothering the vocals too much.

• @Johne1 said:

@Mountain_Hamlet said:

@HotStrange said:

@Montreal_Music said:
    What is "ducking"?

1. Like when Tim Scott is doing an Apple presentation, every time he speaks you want the background music to get quieter automatically.

2. When the voice over on your favorite cartoon is speaking, the background is “ducked” to make his or her voice stand out.

You can hear it very well on those Donald duck cartoon. He is seriously ducked off.

• @ecou said:

@Johne1 said:

@Mountain_Hamlet said:

@HotStrange said:

@Montreal_Music said:
    What is "ducking"?

You can hear it very well on those Donald duck cartoon. He is seriously ducked off.

😂

• @ecou said:

@NeuM said:

@Gdub said:
    That still hurts me

What appended to the dev? It was gone from the store before I even knew it existed

Lots of behind the scenes drama.

• @ecou said:

@NeuM said:

@Gdub said:
    That still hurts me

• To be fair to Pulsar Modular they have released some very highly thought of (and highly priced!) desktop plugins in the meantime. They also engage constantly with their community of users. Really interesting developer.

• @gusgranite said:

@ecou said:

@NeuM said:

@Gdub said:
    That still hurts me

Thank you for sharing interesting story but way to commun in iOS ecosystem.

• @Mountain_Hamlet said:

@HotStrange said:

@Montreal_Music said:
    What is "ducking"?

Oh yeah I know that, was just trying to point out a more obvious use case for someone that maybe didn’t know what it was. That’s usually the go to example I use if someone hasn’t heard of it before because they’ve most likely heard it used and didn’t know.

• @Johne1 said:

@Mountain_Hamlet said:

@HotStrange said:

@Montreal_Music said:
    What is "ducking"?

Ducking is certainly used for a lot more than just thumping a kick drum.

Also good examples. I never said it was only used for that, though. Seems to be a misunderstanding of my comment.

• @gusgranite said:

@ecou said:

@NeuM said:

@Gdub said:
    That still hurts me

That’s great news! I absolutely love Lunar Lander so seeing them return would be very welcome. I don’t regret buying it as I got a ton of use out of it and still use it to this day.

• @HotStrange said:

@gusgranite said:

@ecou said:

@NeuM said:

@Gdub said:
    That still hurts me

That’s great news! I absolutely love Lunar Lander so seeing them return would be very welcome. I don’t regret buying it as I got a ton of use out of it and still use it to this day.

Yes but they didn't return that winter. Will they ever? Who knows. I remember the dev was overjoyed that people bought the iap and they had a good ranking in the app store, at least briefly. But frankly, it seems that in the music app charts almost any new AUv3 that's even half decent can get a good ranking for a day or two while the app addicts get their fix. Only long term sales to more casual users will pay the bills. It was crazy of the devs to give almost everything in the app away for free, the ten bucks iap covered only a few things like the largest plate reverb and the damping controls etc. So if they failed on the platform it was at least partly due to their own bad sales and marketing strategy.

• @Gavinski said:

@HotStrange said:

@gusgranite said:

@ecou said:

@NeuM said:

@Gdub said:
    That still hurts me

Yes but they didn't return that winter. Will they ever? Who knows. I remember the dev was overjoyed that people bought the iap and they had a good ranking in the app store, at least briefly. But frankly, it seems that in the music app charts almost any new AUv3 that's even half decent can get a good ranking for a day or two while the app addicts get their fix. Only long term sales to more casual users will pay the bills. It was crazy of the devs to give almost everything in the app away for free, the ten bucks iap covered only a few things like the largest plate reverb and the damping controls etc. So if they failed on the platform it was at least partly due to their own bad sales and marketing strategy.

Oh man I thought that was a new post. Sad news. I just realized that was from last year. I hope it’s still on their minds but I gotta agree with you. As much as we all want free and as often as possible, it’s not sustainable for any dev. They should’ve done a trial and made the entire app paid for $20 or something. It would still be worth it at that price, imo. I personally never bought the IAP, as I’m sure many didn’t. Had they not taken that route, I feel like we would still have them on the platform.

• @HotStrange said:

@Gavinski said:

@HotStrange said:

@gusgranite said:

@ecou said:

@NeuM said:

@Gdub said:
    That still hurts me

Oh man I thought that was a new post. Sad news. I just realized that was from last year. I hope it’s still on their minds but I gotta agree with you. As much as we all want free and as often as possible, it’s not sustainable for any dev. They should’ve done a trial and made the entire app paid for $20 or something. It would still be worth it at that price, imo. I personally never bought the IAP, as I’m sure many didn’t. Had they not taken that route, I feel like we would still have them on the platform.

Yeah, could have all worked out very differently. Sometimes devs are good at dev stuff but terrible at other stuff that you need in order to both make money yourself and stay in the game long enough to give value to your users and build up trust. I would think trust is pretty much shattered for that dev on iOS now. I'd certainly think twice before making a vid on anything new they brought out

• @gusgranite said:
    To be fair to Pulsar Modular they have released some very highly thought of (and highly priced!) desktop plugins in the meantime. They also engage constantly with their community of users. Really interesting developer.

I assure you, they’ll never get me back as a customer after they abandoned their app in that way. They’d have to fully refund me first.

• Kleverb has a well featured ducker section.

• @gusgranite said:
    Kleverb has a well featured ducker section.

Yes, kleverb is great, don't think it has a plate emulation tho?

• @Gavinski said:
    Are Lunar Lander (not even available on the appstore any more, of course) and AltiSpace 2 the only reverbs that have both a plate reverb emulation and a ducking option?

What's wrong with ADverb2 and duck it properly with the compressor of your choice?!