Skip to content

Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

Comments

• edited January 2018

@jimpavloff Will there be an option at some stage to add Inter App Sampling - where the user can sample direct from other apps as well as In Line sampling via soundcard?
    Also in an earlier post I mentioned about when selecting samples in a same folder when i go to the next pad the sample folder I was previously in goes back to the default USER folder Be cool if I stay in my selected folder till I've assigned my samples to pads .
    And..is it possible to save my MFX HOLD in the trackpad as a default setting in a soon update .
    If poss make the SHIFT button bigger same size as the transport controls and have a double tap for the SHIFT to toggle ON/OFF
    I may have mentioned before but in the MIXER Window at the top of the screen next to the GROOVERIDER GR16 Icon be nice to get a fader volume readout as I touch the faders
    Thanks by the way for your on point updates

• @stormbeats if you have trouble with the shift button, I noticed that when you hold it, the edges of the settings screen changes color to a bit lighter shade and that has helped me know when I’m holding it when I can’t actually see the button under my finger. Dunno if that helps

• edited January 2018

@db909 said:
    @stormbeats if you have trouble with the shift button, I noticed that when you hold it, the edges of the settings screen changes color to a bit lighter shade and that has helped me know when I’m holding it when I can’t actually see the button under my finger. Dunno if that helps

cool yeh it's bit tricky when editing samples useable for sure but can be bit bigger and a double tap/toggle on/off would be good. I meant to say a "double tap" on/off for SHIFT

• @dendy said:
    @db909

exactly ! i'm notmally into complex synth / lot of oscillators, lot of envelopes, lot of lfos, mega mod matrix

but here this simple concept is innkany cases perfect - with minimum effort, literally after few seconds of tweaking - you get sound you need

Yup, I tend to get too deep when trying to make a "perfect" sound, but I find it so much faster on GR-16 and actually on an electribe (MX or 2) for that matter.

• @db909 said:

@robosardine said:

@db909 said:
    Does anyone use this app?

Which app?

Grooverider

Ah.....

• @jimpavloff Or anyone - I'am not getting consistent velocity / volume level on pads when I set the velocity level to 127/full which I gather means the pads volume level wont be sensitive to how hard I hit the pads but I notice on the mixer volume leds the levels are up and down not consistent I can see the waveforms when exporting to Auria etc show this too. Am i missing something?
    Also when I set full velocity 127 on parts like kiks they double up while recording which throws of my timing

• @stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff Or anyone - I'am not getting consistent velocity / volume level on pads when I set the velocity level to 127/full which I gather means the pads volume level wont be sensitive to how hard I hit the pads but I notice on the mixer volume leds the levels are up and down not consistent I can see the waveforms when exporting to Auria etc show this too. Am i missing something?
    Also when I set full velocity 127 on parts like kiks they double up while recording which throws of my timing

Try to make it on the new Init pattern. There's something you've probably turned on, like random velocity or groove amount for the part.

• @db909 said:
    Does anyone use this app?

No time for making music, I'm too busy arguing on the internet ...

• @dendy said:
    @rs2000 i don't want to generate more offtopic here, but yeah, there is lot of truth in what you wrote .. app design have big importance (but beta testing too ;) - looks like BM3 failed in both those elements ...

I think its more about lack of time to develop. I have noticed a trend of ios apps being released bit too early. I have also noticed one of the major causes for this. It is simply because people will cry more about release delays than having one or two bugs more in the app. Customers put the pressure for devs to release bit too early. Also money in ios apps is not the same as for ableton for example. This means that there can be less work hours put in the app, compared to ableton for example.

• @ToMess said:

@dendy said:
    @rs2000 i don't want to generate more offtopic here, but yeah, there is lot of truth in what you wrote .. app design have big importance (but beta testing too ;) - looks like BM3 failed in both those elements ...

I think its more about lack of time to develop. I have noticed a trend of ios apps being released bit too early. I have also noticed one of the major causes for this. It is simply because people will cry more about release delays than having one or two bugs more in the app. Customers put the pressure for devs to release bit too early. Also money in ios apps is not the same as for ableton for example. This means that there can be less work hours put in the app, compared to ableton for example.

Can also sometimes be down to needing to generate some financial income in order to continue a project to plan. Or even just expand the user base to further refine workflow based on broader feedback. These things happen in hardware too... Digitakt for one. No one's forcing anyone to buy anything. Wait for reviews...Too buggy for now? Hold on to your cash..

Whatever the reason, end of the day I'd rather have had a buggy but still extremely useful BM3 for the past year or so than for it to be vaporware or have taken another couple of years before being released. Cost me £20 and has featured on (and/or birthed) a lot of music since. Money well spent ;)

Getting way off topic though! Sorry Jim.

• @jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff Or anyone - I'am not getting consistent velocity / volume level on pads when I set the velocity level to 127/full which I gather means the pads volume level wont be sensitive to how hard I hit the pads but I notice on the mixer volume leds the levels are up and down not consistent I can see the waveforms when exporting to Auria etc show this too. Am i missing something?

Try to make it on the new Init pattern. There's something you've probably turned on, like random velocity or groove amount for the part.

@jimpavloff hi Jim random velocity is at 0% & groove velocity is at 0% - also no envelopes or effects are being used and Master limiter is off also I checked the Part Note Gate which defaults at 1.00 tried all the options (0.10 - 2.00) AMP EG is set to OFF - I tested further - solo'ed a straight 4/4 kik pattern with velocity at 127 the volume is still not at a consistent level and can see this in the exported waveform - if poss can you test this -

• @stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff hi Jim random velocity is at 0% & groove velocity is at 0% - also no envelopes or effects are being used and Master limiter is off also I checked the Part Note Gate which defaults at 1.00 tried all the options (0.10 - 2.00) AMP EG is set to OFF - I tested further - solo'ed a straight 4/4 kik pattern with velocity at 127 the volume is still not at a consistent level and can see this in the exported waveform - if poss can you test this -

@jimpavloff Done a few more tests seems ok now checked the waveform in Audioshare will re check Auria Pro

• @stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff Done a few more tests seems ok now checked the waveform in Audioshare will re check Auria Pro

@jimpavloff i think the velocity issue I'am getting is when I turn on the AMP EG the note volume becomes inconsistant tried various ADSR

• edited January 2018

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff i think the velocity issue I'am getting is when I turn on the AMP EG the note volume becomes inconsistant tried various ADSR

@jimpavloff Jim somethings not right - the pre installed Init parts (your sounds) have full release - when I load my sounds to the pads that had your default sounds my Part/sounds have no release etc which I have to set in the ADSR AMP EG this then makes the velocity when set to 127 become an inconsistent volume level?

@jimpavloff ok i just discovered the Settings/Velocity Curve/Light/Normal/Heavy/Constant - I will test this and see how it functions
    If poss though when User triggers new parts loaded to pads can the sample playback exact without having to use the AMP EG to get full release of sample

@jimpavloff I tried the Velocity Curves still inconsistent volumes - tried Heavy and Const96
    Can anyone on here get full consistent velocity ?
    Thanks in advance and excuse me for hogging the thread -

• @stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff Jim somethings not right - the pre installed Init parts (your sounds) have full release - when I load my sounds to the pads that had your default sounds my Part/sounds have no release etc which I have to set in the ADSR AMP EG this then makes the velocity when set to 127 become an inconsistent volume level?

@jimpavloff ok i just discovered the Settings/Velocity Curve/Light/Normal/Heavy/Constant - I will test this and see how it functions
    If poss though when User triggers new parts loaded to pads can the sample playback exact without having to use the AMP EG to get full release of sample

@jimpavloff I tried the Velocity Curves still inconsistent volumes - tried Heavy and Const96

Checked again - still not found any issues with it. Maybe you can export a pattern for me to test? Also, what device are you using, and what are the Sample Rate and Buffer Size in your GR's settings?

• @jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

Checked again - still not found any issues with it. Maybe you can export a pattern for me to test? Also, what device are you using, and what are the Sample Rate and Buffer Size in your GR's settings?

@jimpavloff thanks for feedback top dude :-) if poss can you let me know the best settings you use for full velocity? Do I have to set the Veocity Curves in Settings to Heavy? I have 44.100hz / buffer size Optimal ipad air2/ipad pro 12.9 ios 11.2.1 will export a pattern in couple hours.

• edited January 2018

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff thanks for feedback top dude :-) if poss can you let me know the best settings you use for full velocity? Do I have to set the Veocity Curves in Settings to Heavy? I have 44.100hz / buffer size Optimal ipad air2/ipad pro 12.9 ios 11.2.1 will export a pattern in couple hours.

@jimpavloff getting a better steadier waveform and meter read out in Auria now since changing Velocity Curve to Heavy - The waveform is not perfect or exact but improved
    will keep an eye on future exports under these settings

• @stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff getting a better steadier waveform and meter read out in Auria now since changing Velocity Curve to Heavy - will keep an eye on future exports under these settings

Are you playing GR with some external midi device? Or just on the onscreen pads? Because Velocity Curve setting you talking about is only reflected when you play GR with external midi keyboard or other midi source.

• @jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff getting a better steadier waveform and meter read out in Auria now since changing Velocity Curve to Heavy - will keep an eye on future exports under these settings

Are you playing GR with some external midi device? Or just on the onscreen pads? Because Velocity Curve setting you talking about is only reflected when you play GR with external midi keyboard or other midi source.

@ ok no just on screen - so it most likely improved through some other setting while experimenting so in theory is it best to set Velocity to 127(maximum) in part settings?

• @stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

@ ok no just on screen - so it most likely improved through some other setting while experimenting so in theory is it best to set Velocity to 127(maximum) in part settings?

When you set Velocity, it only affects new notes you draw and record. Previously existing notes are not affected.
    96 is the optimal balanced level. You have enough headroom up. If you set it to 127, you won't be able to make some notes louder in the part, if you'll need to. Plus, you'll have to turn the part's Level down to balance the output level.

• @jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

When you set Velocity, it only affects new notes you draw and record. Previously existing notes are not affected.
    96 is the optimal balanced level. You have enough headroom up. If you set it to 127, you won't be able to make some notes louder in the part, if you'll need to. Plus, you'll have to turn the part's Level down to balance the output level.

@jimpavloff ok thanks for the useful info - will experiment

• @stormbeats said:

+1
    I would so much like to have a "one shot" option for user samples so as to not have to use the envelope or sustain the note. A one-shout _option _ would play the sample all the way through for any length hit. This is pretty standard behavior for drum machines. It would also make triggering longer samples (like full drum loops, vocals, etc) a lot easier.

• @wim said:

@stormbeats said:

+1
    I would so much like to have a "one shot" option for user samples so as to not have to use the envelope or sustain the note. A one-shout _option _ would play the sample all the way through for any length hit. This is pretty standard behavior for drum machines. It would also make triggering longer samples (like full drum loops, vocals, etc) a lot easier.

@wim said:

@stormbeats said:

+1

drum loops especially. If you try to record a 4 bar drum loop sample, chances are, your timing won’t be perfect and the note will sustain across the loop point and then it won’t play for one cycle, but if you try to sequence it in edit mode, you cant drag the note length longer than a single bar.

• @wim said:

@stormbeats said:

+1

@jimpavloff @wlm - yes this would be better "one shot" and a full velocity ( I'am still looking into the velocity settings for one shots its not quite right - on app start up
    Also I clean blank slate in the Inits - no offense in anyway jim your sounds are cool but just more convenient - still cant work out how your sounds play one shot without the AMP EG ON then I load my sounds to the pads but they not "one shot" without the AMP EG ON

• @db909 said:

@wim said:

@stormbeats said:

+1

@wim said:

@stormbeats said:

+1

drum loops especially. If you try to record a 4 bar drum loop sample, chances are, your timing won’t be perfect and the note will sustain across the loop point and then it won’t play for one cycle, but if you try to sequence it in edit mode, you cant drag the note length longer than a single bar.

@db909 yes agreed - there is a velocity combined with the AMP EG and note off that's a bit iffy at moment - don't get me wrong GR is excellent just a bit of fine tuning here and there.

• edited January 2018

@stormbeats. I don’t know what you’re talking about honestly because there isn’t one shot currently. You load a sample and it plays as long as you hold down if looped or until it’s done while you hold down. If you turn on the envelope you can add a release or whatever but there is no way to hit the key and have it play through one shot. Edit: never mind I got it. Yeah the factory samples like kick drums, etc do play one shot without amp env on. Guess I never noticed

• @jimpavloff I think some of the velocity and few other quirks I'am running into is the default Inits - there are different settings on the pads some Poly some not , some have decimate some have "boost" some are in "edit"mode under the "wave" controls - be a lot better if all 16 pads are blank and all set to a proper default with same settings which I think all pads at the 96 velocity (which they are so thats cool) would be right.
    Also your default Inits have thhe Punch Insert effect (although the Inserts are switched off so not a maor prob) - if poss zero fx on start up.
    Will feel more like turning on a real drum machine" no sounds till sounds loaded.
    Blank slate

• edited January 2018

@db909 said:
    @stormbeats. I don’t know what you’re talking about honestly because there isn’t one shot currently. You load a sample and it plays as long as you hold down if looped or until it’s done while you hold down. If you turn on the envelope you can add a release or whatever but there is no way to hit the key and have it play through one shot. Edit: never mind I got it. Yeah the factory samples like kick drums, etc do play one shot without amp env on. Guess I never noticed

@db909 yeh i guess you never noticed.And the none conistent velocity volume level prob I have is when the "release" in AMP EG is ON - experiment you may just notice - know what i'am talking about geeza
    Export a solo "kik" that you set to FULL VELOCITY (127) or (96) into a DAW i.e Auria etc and see if the waveform is consistent in volume which should be for each "kik" hit - I'am sort of getting there in testing but the waveform for each "kik" hit are not level to each other.

• @stormbeats said:

@db909 said:

@db909 yeh i guess you never noticed.And the none conistent velocity volume level prob I have is when the "release" in AMP EG is ON - experiment you may just notice - know what i'am talking about geeza

Hmm. A curious case indeed

• edited January 2018

@db909 said:

@stormbeats said:

@db909 said:

Hmm. A curious case indeed

@db909 yep as GR progess after we all like it we will want to export to other DAW's to get a full mix which jim has provided us the option - in a proper mixdown production those velocity mis matches will be easily heard when compression/limiting etc is added

@db909 You can even see the velocity levels mismatched with the GR Volume LED when AMP EG is switched on.