Skip to content

Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

Comments

• @stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff hi jim - few things that could be cool for this already top app
    1. Resample direct pad to pad
    2. In sample slice edit window an ADSR and Pitch option per slice.
    3. 16 outputs IAA though have to say the hard work you done on giving us chained pattern stems is excellent
    4. multi select volume fader in the mixer - group faders
    5.How's things developing with the stereo widener effect ?
    6.Double tap SHIFT button to toggle on/off
    All else is excellent - the simplicity of GR without all the extra not needed over the top functions in other apps makes me way more creative with GR - using whats on offer/limitations is keeping GR my top choice for beat creating.
    keep up the good work -
    To add I'am already about to sell one of my hardware Akai MPCs that I've used since 1997 - reason being ok GR may not have an inbuilt sampler but is able to do everything else an MPC can -

Stereo Delay per Part is going to be in the upcoming update. Btw, you can adjust every slice's Pitch already.

ok cool I must have overlooked pitch per slice will check it out-

@jimpavloff if poss can you tell me where the pitch per slice function is?

• @stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:
    3. 16 outputs IAA though have to say the hard work you done on giving us chained pattern stems is excellent
    All else is excellent - the simplicity of GR without all the extra not needed over the top functions in other apps makes me way more creative with GR - using whats on offer/limitations is keeping GR my top choice for beat creating.
    keep up the good work -
    To add I'am already about to sell one of my hardware Akai MPCs that I've used since 1997 - reason being ok GR may not have an inbuilt sampler but is able to do everything else an MPC can -

Stereo Delay per Part is going to be in the upcoming update. Btw, you can adjust every slice's Pitch already.

@jimpavloff cool i found it

• edited February 2018

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:
    keep up the good work -

@jimpavloff actually not found it -
    @jimpavloff ok cool in SEQ EDIT - change note top left of screen.

• @jimpavloff said:

@Audiojunkie said:
    Couldn't you just treat Groove Rider as a simple drum bank when hosted as an AU? In other words, simply load 16 drum samples and have the host play them back?

A good option. Maybe 16-part AU but without sequencer stuff, to be used and played by the host - a possible way for GR's audio unit.

If so, how about also supporting MIDI out and the pads, so that at least in GarageBand the pads could be used to create beats instead of having to used the host keyboard.

• @stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:
    keep up the good work -

You can adjust the Pitch of each of 16 available Slices in Slice Edit mode (tap Slice twice to flash the button) by turning the Pitch ("Slice Pitch") knob.

• @realdavidai said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Audiojunkie said:
    Couldn't you just treat Groove Rider as a simple drum bank when hosted as an AU? In other words, simply load 16 drum samples and have the host play them back?

A good option. Maybe 16-part AU but without sequencer stuff, to be used and played by the host - a possible way for GR's audio unit.

If so, how about also supporting MIDI out and the pads, so that at least in GarageBand the pads could be used to create beats instead of having to used the host keyboard.

Sorry, don't understand your question. Maybe you mean "Midi In" ?

• @jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:
    keep up the good work -

You can adjust the Pitch of each of 16 available Slices in Slice Edit mode (tap Slice twice to flash the button) by turning the Pitch ("Slice Pitch") knob.

@jimpavloff ok thanks

• @stormbeats you can already resample to pads. Mute everything besides the part(s) you want to resample or don’t if you want everything and go to utilities menu and “render pattern audio”. It will ask you if you want to export elsewhere or if you want to load it back in to the currently selected part. So make sure you select the part you want to put it back in beforehand

• @db909 said:
    @stormbeats you can already resample to pads. Mute everything besides the part(s) you want to resample or don’t if you want everything and go to utilities menu and “render pattern audio”. It will ask you if you want to export elsewhere or if you want to load it back in to the currently selected part. So make sure you select the part you want to put it back in beforehand

@db909 yeah i been doing all you mentioned just thinking would be bit more straightforward sampling direct pad to pad without having to mute/export - though this method is ok at present gr version .

• @jimpavloff : IAP samplebanks would be great. I, for one would certainly buy them

• @jimpavloff said:

@Dawdles said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Audiojunkie said:

For me the magic of Gr16 is the connection between the sequencer and the sounds. If you lose the probability, jump mode, arpeggiator, repeats and parameter locks then gr16 just becomes quite a basic synth/sampler sound module, right? And locking 16 tracks of that together doesn’t really have much attraction for me in comparison to using 16 beatmaker pads for samples and au synths. And any fx and Rozeta per pad. Unless I’m missing something?

If full au isn’t possible and au needs to be only sections of the app then I’d find the sequencer half of GR16 much more unique and useful a tool than the sound half of it. If a gr16 sequencer-only AU worked like a Rozeta module in iOS daws it would be very cool indeed....

At least that’s my gut feeling on it. Would be interesting to try the sound module you mention though and see how it fared against other workflow options. Seems like a bit of a coding time resources gamble imho unless it’s not too time consuming to code something like this.

Personally if full AUv3 isn’t possible then I’d wrap gr16 up pretty soon and start focusing on something similar that can play ball as a full AUv3.

You can use it in any DAW right now via IAA, using IAA host sync - almost the same that would be if GR was a fully functional AUv3. The only main difference is that you can use 1 instance only. In all the other things, it's the same workflow.

THIS :#

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@Dawdles said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Dawdles said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Audiojunkie said:

For me the magic of Gr16 is the connection between the sequencer and the sounds. If you lose the probability, jump mode, arpeggiator, repeats and parameter locks then gr16 just becomes quite a basic synth/sampler sound module, right? And locking 16 tracks of that together doesn’t really have much attraction for me in comparison to using 16 beatmaker pads for samples and au synths. And any fx and Rozeta per pad. Unless I’m missing something?

If full au isn’t possible and au needs to be only sections of the app then I’d find the sequencer half of GR16 much more unique and useful a tool than the sound half of it. If a gr16 sequencer-only AU worked like a Rozeta module in iOS daws it would be very cool indeed....

At least that’s my gut feeling on it. Would be interesting to try the sound module you mention though and see how it fared against other workflow options. Seems like a bit of a coding time resources gamble imho unless it’s not too time consuming to code something like this.

Personally if full AUv3 isn’t possible then I’d wrap gr16 up pretty soon and start focusing on something similar that can play ball as a full AUv3.

You can use it in any DAW right now via IAA, using IAA host sync - almost the same that would be if GR was a fully functional AUv3. The only main difference is that you can use 1 instance only. In all the other things, it's the same workflow.

I generally avoid IAA. A lot of bad memories! And switching full app views feels like a disjointed way to work and sometimes results in small glitches. Plus automation of IAA and binding parameters to macros and so on is either not possible or a headache, in comparison to doing these things internally with AU’s. I suppose I’m too accustomed to the convenience of desktop daws and VST. IAA is ‘ok’ as last resort but quite far from ideal.

Just how I feel. I avoid IAA hosted apps like the iOS version of the Black Death :p

It's your loss.

• Was hosting GR16 IAA and Zeeon AUv3 in Cubasis and CPU spikes above 50%. In AUM Max 30s cpu and BM3 as IAA had a crash when switching back to GR-16. So glad GR-16 lets you record melodies and chords!

• @Telstar5 said:
    @jimpavloff : IAP samplebanks would be great. I, for one would certainly buy them

I absolutely would as well, even if just to support further development a teeny bit. I dunno why anyone who loves the app wouldn’t. They are, in practice, simply more oscillators and such. I’d prefer more actual pcm instruments over anything else like stabs or drums. With an eye towards filling any sonic gaps in the app that you can think of

• I haven’t still got into loading samples. But will check out manual on that.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    I haven’t still got into loading samples. But will check out manual on that.

Import from Audioshare. Done B)

• @jimpavloff said:

@realdavidai said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Audiojunkie said:

Sorry, don't understand your question. Maybe you mean "Midi In" ?

MIDI out of the AUV3 into the host sequencer. This is available as of iOS 11.

As an example fire up Moog Model 15 as a Full Screen AUv3 in GarageBand. You can then use Model 15’s keyboard to record MIDI events into Garageband’s sequencer.

I’m requesting the same here except that in full screen mode Groove Rider would have drum Pads in the AUV3 that can be used to send MIDI notes to the sequencer.

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@Dawdles said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Dawdles said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Audiojunkie said:

I generally avoid IAA. A lot of bad memories! And switching full app views feels like a disjointed way to work and sometimes results in small glitches. Plus automation of IAA and binding parameters to macros and so on is either not possible or a headache, in comparison to doing these things internally with AU’s. I suppose I’m too accustomed to the convenience of desktop daws and VST. IAA is ‘ok’ as last resort but quite far from ideal.

Just how I feel. I avoid IAA hosted apps like the iOS version of the Black Death :p

It's your loss.

By the reduction in use problems since avoiding IAAs, I’ve experienced a gain in many ways, but it’s likely you already realise this before writing such a childish comment lol

• edited February 2018

@jimpavloff i might have mentioned before but a more accurate Pitch function in Trigger mode in Parts menu would be good . Also Pitch option in Edit screen with number value -127/+127 maybe next to time shift . There's space there in the screen display - The Pitch knob is a bit jumpy with aftertouch though still useable.

• @jimpavloff would be good to have the pad labels automatically named when importing samples to pads

• @jimpavloff is there an erase note function in EDIT window or is hold erase pad during playback the only option? not that its a major prob though

• @stormbeats said:
    is there an erase note function in EDIT window or is hold erase pad during playback the only option? not that its a major prob though

Try shift+tap on the pad that is highlighted for the step...

• @Samu said:

@stormbeats said:
    is there an erase note function in EDIT window or is hold erase pad during playback the only option? not that its a major prob though

Shift+Pad, or change that note's Key all the way down in the Step Editor to make it disappear.

• Would it be possible to add an option to the sequencer so that if you touch a pad to delete a step, the notes for that step are remembered. This is what my electribe esx1 does and I think the electribe 2 has it as an option.

In the part menu where we can select default volume etc there could also be an option to enable this functionality and another to select what the deafault note is for entering new steps.

I think db909 is right about the shift functions, they are very fast and intuitive once you get used to them and are part of what makes it an exciting one screen groovebox rather than a boring daw. Sampling other synths into groove rider is also a very good idea while there is no midi out, maybe afterwards too, I used to sample 8 bar loops from my hardware synths into my esx all the time to get everything in one place with tight timing.

• @Samu said:

@stormbeats said:

ok thanks

• @Samu said:

@stormbeats said:

nice one samu

• @jimpavloff said:

@Samu said:

@stormbeats said:

Shift+Pad, or change that note's Key all the way down in the Step Editor to make it disappear.

cool thanks

• @jimpavloff would be good to get a ADSR/AMP EG on individual notes triggered by the same pad in the EDIT Window- Attack&Release would work well for instance to change the shape of a snare or hat during the sequence - though it's ok at present to copy the same sound to another pad and manipulate Envelope shaping that way.

• edited February 2018

@stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff would be good to get a ADSR/AMP EG on individual notes triggered by the same pad in the EDIT Window- Attack&Release would work well for instance to change the shape of a snare or hat during the sequence - though it's ok at present to copy the same sound to another pad and manipulate Envelope shaping that way.

Individual ADSR for notes feature is beyond the scope and is a very special case. Besides, you can do that by editing ADSR automation for the different snare drum notes inside one Part.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@LucidMusicInc said:
    :( I'm not a fan of hidden features even if I learn them a short cut key combo should still be available in the standard menu system for new users and easily distracted users. @jimpavloff please consider putting the pattern write functions into the pattern menu screen so we can access those functions the traditional way.

I agree.

I have enough happening with making music and performing things to think about secret handshakes and double tap with a twist shit.

Maybe consider putting a second page that is MIDI learnable knobs? Sort of the idea of GlitchBreaks.
    Put all controls out side of immediate sound stuff on one page. I am not sure the idea this has to be crammed on one page is so important.

Why not add a sequencer(piano roll) on one page.
    Fx suite on another
    etc..

Crazy idea I mean AB remote options to do so, or LEMUR template, or just MIDI learn.

I have meant to post this about this app for a minute, but resisted.

I love Jim's work.

I never heard a developer represent my interests more in house music. I am a product of the Soundfactory, Limelight, Twilo, and the Tunnel. Jim's approach and taste of musical genre is so dead on it is scary.

But...I say this with all do respect, this app is not "fun" to use for me.

I know it may be a bitch thing on my part, but, it just is like dealing with iElectribe. Circa 1990's..........

I get the music style is from the 1990's but the interface ...........ahhh. ummmm.......hmmmm

Frankly, with all the new drag and drop stuff and so man things happening, this app is not actually getting the GUI it deserves at this point.

The app itself concept and music sounds / quality is a fucking 11 on a 1 to 10 scale.

But the interface, and the constant new "features" or "controls" just make me turn away a bit.

There are so many easier ways to present this stuff to users.

I realize Jim I trying to keep up with the feedback and make everyone happy, but maybe Jim should tell all of us to STFU and rework this interface that it represents the amazing music production capacity that is there.

Stay away from "shift" type features and "simultaneously" press blah blah......

People are inherently lazy and stupid.

Many other people are total nuts obsessed with the music they make.

As soon as an app "takes brain energy" to do things that are done a lot easier in other formats, it will limit the appeal and usefulness of the app.

Instead of an image of piano roll jammed in the box, but a true sequencer on another page.
    Make the EQ 1 page
    This type of stuff.

I love the app and hope that Jim tweaks the interface to make it feel like the amazing app that I know it is.

No, you are wrong - it’s a 12 on a scale of 1 to 10 lol

Damn.

Wrong again.

Looks like my father was right.

I will never be good at anything.....LOL