Skip to content

Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

Comments

• ok I worked out slicing -
    1.Load sample you want to slice onto a pad
    2.Press SLICE BUTTON twice (it will now be flashing)
    3,In the Oscillator menu are 3 pink controls
    4.Use pink controls to edit the 16 slices now on the 16 pads
    5.Once edited record/sequence the slices
    6.When finihed seequencing/recording press any other buttons to come out of SLICE MODE
    This feature is super cool . Easy Peasy Neat and Tidy :-)

• @stormbeats said:
    ok I worked out slicing -
    6.When finihed seequencing/recording press any other buttons to come out of SLICE MODE

Yes. This approach has already been discussed. It’s fine unless you want to change the sequence, in which case you’d have to record it all over.

What I have been asking, as well as others, is a way to save these edited slices to be sequenced the same as other instruments.

It doesn’t appear to be possible at this time. Once you back out of slice mode, your sample is back to the pre-edited state.

• wimwim
    edited December 2017

@Mark B said:

@wim said:

@stormbeats said:

@skiphunt said:
    @wim asked about this earlier in the thread, but confused... after I load my sample from the User folder, hit slice and edit each of the 16 pads the way I want... is there a way that I can then sequence each slice like a regular instrument? Before the update I think all you could do was play/record your edited slices while in slice mode, but after you leave slice mode the sample is back to pre-edit. Someone said hit the slice button again, but doesn't that just back you out to the un-edited unsliced sample?

@skiphunt @wim did you manage to work out how to sequence slices - I been out djing so not had time to experiment -

I don’t believe you can. I think the only way to change out slices is through live recording pad hits. You can edit probability, pitch, length, velocity, etc for the slices, but I don’t think you can alter which slice plays.

My thought on how this can be implemented. In the step editor panel you have 4 columns for the notes and 5 columns below for the length, velocity etc. It just needs an extra column on the first line. notes 1-4 and slice number (shown if it is a sliced sound).

I was thinking it would make sense just to extend the EDIT function one more button over to the slice button. Then instead of notes in the upper row, there would be slice numbers.

• Pressing an unlit pad would insert that number into one of the four voices.
    • Pressing a lit pad would turn that slice off.
    • The jog wheel would cycle through the 16 available slice numbers rather than notes.
    • Holding down shift while using the jog wheel would adjust the pitch of the slice for each voice slot. Touching shift would toggle the display from slice number to note for quick reference.
  • @skiphunt said:

@stormbeats said:

Yes. This approach has already been discussed. It’s fine unless you want to change the sequence, in which case you’d have to record it all over.

What I have been asking, as well as others, is a way to save these edited slices to be sequenced the same as other instruments.

It doesn’t appear to be possible at this time. Once you back out of slice mode, your sample is back to the pre-edited state.

ok i get what you mean - I will go into that - you mean like a way to copy the exact "sequencing" of another sample/instrument like "layering"?

• @stormbeats said:

@skiphunt said:

@stormbeats said:

ok i get what you mean - I will go into that - you mean like a way to copy the exact "sequencing" of another sample/instrument like "layering"?

No. Look at what @wim is suggesting (for clarity) it’s a good idea and describes a possible change in the app that would accomplish what we’re after.

• @jimpavloff the SLICE MODE is very powerful - wow!!! this means I have a crazy large amount of sample slicing "real estate" to chop / slice samples
    Dude - that is genius for us deep sample choppers

• edited December 2017

@skiphunt said:

@stormbeats said:

its possible i just closed Grooverider and turned it back on all my sliced samples are there -
    you have to SAVE the PATTERN - even if you have not sequenced the slices they will be saved.You load up the PATTERN you SAVED
    Press PLAY and all the chop play back
    Press SLICE BUTTON all the 16 slices are there

• @stormbeats said:

@skiphunt said:

@stormbeats said:

its possible i just closed Grooverider and turned it back on all my sliced samples are there -
    you have to SAVE the PATTERN - even if you have not sequenced the slices they will be saved.

So, can you edit your sliced samples, then select one as a part, then use it in the sequencer without having to record it in live, then edit the steps in your sequenced edited slice after the fact without recording the sequence?

• edited December 2017

@Mark B said:
    The only limitation is that you can’t manually edit which slice plays, only the pitch - unless I’m missing something. You have to play the slices in live.

You can delete notes too and then overdub live what you’ve recorded already. Swapping one sliced sample for another via copy paste methods works especially if they have the same number of slices. It would be nice if @jimpavloff came up with a more straight forward way to do step editing of sliced samples. Read the revised manual which was very good.

The only issue I’ve run across is import/export of patterns and samples that were in user sub folders, when the pattern is imported, Groove Rider can’t reconnect the samples with the pattern. Manually loading the samples into the pattern restores its functionality. I was able to reload patterns I’d exported then imported on the same iPad Air 2 so it might be user error.

• @skiphunt said:

@stormbeats said:

@skiphunt said:

@stormbeats said:

you have to SAVE the PATTERN - even if you have not sequenced the slices they will be saved.

So, can you edit your sliced samples, then select one as a part, then use it in the sequencer without having to record it in live, then edit the steps in your sequenced edited slice after the fact without recording the sequence?

ok i got ya - not too sure - gonna go into that tommorow

• @InfoCheck said:

@Mark B said:
    The only limitation is that you can’t manually edit which slice plays, only the pitch - unless I’m missing something. You have to play the slices in live.

You can delete notes too and then overdub live what you’ve recorded already. Swapping one sliced sample for another via copy paste methods works especially if they have the same number of slices. It would be nice if @jimpavloff came up with a more straight forward way to do step editing of sliced samples. Read the revised manual which was very good.

The only issue I’ve run across is import/export of patterns and samples that were in user sub folders, when the pattern is imported, Groove Rider can’t reconnect the samples with the pattern. Manually loading the samples into the pattern restores its functionality.

I haven’t read the updated manual yet. The previous one was good after I got the hang of the interface idiosyncrasies. It sounds like you’re able to do what I’m asking about if I’m reading you correctly. Will visit the updated manual to see if I can sort it out from there. Thx

• wimwim
    edited December 2017

@InfoCheck said:
    You can delete notes too and then overdub live what you’ve recorded already.

That’s the key sentence right there. No way yet just to change slices for a given step in edit mode without live record. I can live with that though.

• @InfoCheck said:

@Mark B said:

The only issue I’ve run across is import/export of patterns and samples that were in user sub folders, when the pattern is imported, Groove Rider can’t reconnect the samples with the pattern. Manually loading the samples into the pattern restores its functionality. I was able to reload patterns I’d exported then imported on the same iPad Air 2 so it might be user error.

if poss can you explain how you created sub folders - I created a folder in Grooverider via files.app but it's not showing in Grooverider ?
    Thanks in advance

• @skiphunt said:

@InfoCheck said:

@Mark B said:

The only issue I’ve run across is import/export of patterns and samples that were in user sub folders, when the pattern is imported, Groove Rider can’t reconnect the samples with the pattern. Manually loading the samples into the pattern restores its functionality.

I haven’t read the updated manual yet. The previous one was good after I got the hang of the interface idiosyncrasies. It sounds like you’re able to do what I’m asking about if I’m reading you correctly. Will visit the updated manual to see if I can sort it out from there. Thx

To record slices after you’ve set them up, hit the slice button after you’ve selected the pad with the original sample on it in trigger mode. Each of the 16 pads will contain a slice. If you have less than 16 slices, those pads beyond the less than 16 will each have the full sample rather than slices. To add notes with the step editor you follow the same procedure as for regular samples on a part except you can’t change which slice is playing in the step editor though you can add more voices (notes) or chords via the keys and chord buttons as it talks about in the manual.

• wimwim
    edited December 2017

@jimpavloff, feature request:
    Could you consider adding “Copy to Groove Rider” ability so that in apps that support it, using “Open In...” would be able to send wav files directly to the User folder?

For instance, in AudioShare, pressing the export icon brings up a list of just about every app that can accept wav files. One simple step from any app rather than having to dump first to the files app then over to Groove Rider.

I can’t say that I’m as enthusiastic about the files app as a lot of people seem to be. It just seems like one more unnecessary stop along the way to me so far.

I’m guessing it’s comparatively simple to implement this, but I’m not a developer.

• edited December 2017

@jimpavloff In an update can we make the ASDR independant for the 16 slices - Just noticed the slices envelopes ADSR (AMP EG) are linked to whatever is set to the pad that the initial sample has been loaded to.
    Also for other parameters - this will make the SLICES totally independant as an option in the pattern settings for example "Independant Slice Parameters On/Off"

• @wim said:
    Could you consider adding “Copy to Groove Rider” ability so that in apps that support it, using “Open In...” would be able to send wav files directly to the User folder?

For instance, in AudioShare, pressing the export icon brings up a list of just about every app that can accept wav files. One simple step from any app rather than having to dump first to the files app then over to Groove Rider.

I can’t say that I’m as enthusiastic about the files app as a lot of people seem to be. It just seems like one more unnecessary stop along the way to me so far.

I’m guessing it’s comparatively simple to implement this, but I’m not a developer.

yep I thought this too "Open in" Good suggestion

• edited December 2017

@stormbeats said:

@InfoCheck said:

@Mark B said:

if poss can you explain how you created sub folders - I created a folder in Grooverider via files.app but it's not showing in Grooverider ?
    Thanks in advance

The samples are mono wav files in an AudioShare folder, here’s the process:

https://youtu.be/dppN699pIv8

• edited December 2017

@InfoCheck said:

@stormbeats said:

@InfoCheck said:

@Mark B said:

Thanks in advance

@jimpavloff Really weird for me on ipad air 2 ios 11.2.1 the Grooverider folder has no sub folders showing in files.app? I'am on the latest Grooverider version 1.1.2

• edited December 2017

@InfoCheck said:

@skiphunt said:

@InfoCheck said:

@Mark B said:

To record slices after you’ve set them up, hit the slice button after you’ve selected the pad with the original sample on it in trigger mode. Each of the 16 pads will contain a slice. If you have less than 16 slices, those pads beyond the less than 16 will each have the full sample rather than slices. To add notes with the step editor you follow the same procedure as for regular samples on a part except you can’t change which slice is playing in the step editor though you can add more voices (notes) or chords via the keys and chord buttons as it talks about in the manual.

I don’t think we’re on the same page. I’m aware of how the slicing works and that you can record them. I’m asking about something different.

First off, it’s not that important that I be able to do what I’m asking about. I was originally just asking if what I wanted to do was possible. Let me try to describe it again.

I select a sample I’ve imported. I select slice twice so that I’m editing each of the 16 slices. For simplicity in the description, let’s say I’m only interested in the first 3 slices. 1-3.

Ok, I’ve edited slice 1 to be a sliver at the beginning of the sample and pitched it up. Slice 2 is a wider slice of the middle and pitched down. Slice 3 is a sliver from the back end and also pitched higher.

Now, I’ve got 3 edited slices of my sample. I want to select sample 2, go into sequence mode, and make a sequence, not record one. Now my first sequence is playing using only my edited slice 2. Now, I want to select edited slice 3 and create another sequence as if slice 3 is an independent part. I tap out a sequence, then do the same for slice 1.

Now, I’ve got 3 sequences playing and each part is using either edited slice 1, 2, or 3 as its part. But, I want to change my sequence that’s using edited slice 2. I don’t want to overdub or re-record. I just want to change the sequence using edited slice 2 as it’s “part”.

From everything I’ve read thus far, it does not sound like this is possible at the moment. The last suggestion wim made regarding this would accomplish being able to do this, but to be clear, it’s not important that it be possible. I too am ok with the way it is now.

So, after reading this, do you still think exactly what I’m describing is currently possible? If so, I’ll take a good look at the revised manual and sort it out. If this is not possible right now, that’s ok and I won’t bother with it any more for the time being.

• Welcome @Iostress. I thought your feedback was good to read. Critical and pretty blunt but well thought out. I hope you stick around as I reckon you have some good questions to ask and experience to share.

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@Iostress said:

@wim said:

@Iostress said:
    Wasn't intending to be confrontational. Just got greeted with some weird super defensive/condescending responses to my first posts here. Like this app is beyond criticism or improvement or something... A lot of people criticise the hardware electribes a fair bit so...

I guess my main disappointment/issue was it advertising '32 effects'....That's not really true compared to other hardware or other apps' definition of what a separate effect type is. Would be cool if dev can open up the effects for deeper dialling...

And my other requests were pretty solid too imho...

Guess we'll see how far the dev wants to refine it or just settle as is...

@Iostress - hope I don’t piss you off saying this, but I had a tough time wading through all the snark in your OP. You had great points, but weakened it with all the sarcasm. Unfortunately we all tend to take the bait - thus the backlash. Respect for taking the time to send such specific feedback though.

That said, I can’t help feeling that you’re looking for more out of this than the target audience is. Reading your description, I honestly don’t think I’d be attracted to that product, at least not in light of all the rest I have available. If I want something deep like you describe I’m gonna pull out Gadget, BM3 or something.

If I just want to jam or maybe perform on something GR scratches that itch. I hope it gets a few refinements here and there, but essentially, I hope @jimpavloff keeps this true to its spirit and current form without a lot of feature bloat. It isn’t going to be for everyone, but it sure is for me..
    @ErrkaPetti said:

@Iostress said:
    Wasn't intending to be confrontational. Just got greeted with some weird super defensive/condescending responses to my first posts here. Like this app is beyond criticism or improvement or something... A lot of people criticise the hardware electribes a fair bit so...

I guess my main disappointment/issue was it advertising '32 effects'....That's not really true compared to other hardware or other apps' definition of what a separate effect type is. Would be cool if dev can open up the effects for deeper dialling...

And my other requests were pretty solid too imho...

Guess we'll see how far the dev wants to refine it or just settle as is...

But, your tone and enormous list of complains is making a lot of us others lovers sad...

The developer of Groove Rider GR-16 has made an incredible work with this app, and, you complain just like you just have paid $200 for this instead of just ten bucks...

This is iOS, not yet 100% perfect, but, in the near future when apps is in $200 pricetag, come back and complain and wining like a spolied child...

WTF? 'spoiled child'. For real? No need to cast that kind of judgement dude. You don't know me.

You have confused 'suggestions for improvement' with whining entitlement.

You are aware that there's a whole world outside of iPad yeah? Organelle patches for example are FREE. Devs work hard on them nonetheless. And people still make suggestions for improvement and everyone's cool with it. Without the weird over-protective nonsense this thread is littered with. Someone recently mimic'd a bunch of pedals for organelle which would have cost £1000+ in hardware... For free. And still accepted suggestions and feedback... And don't get me started on VCV rack in terms of being the opposite of free/cheap = be content and shut up. People are brainstorming to develop it as far as possible.

Finding flaws and striving for improvement is how things advance....nothing wrong with that as long as it's done with consideration and optimism.

...still think this Iostress is a troll...

He/she have a new acount made today, make a huge post about how disabled Groove Rider GR-16 is, and, have an arrogant (sometimes) tones between the lines...

He/she says he/she is a touring artist/musician that have all the rights to have 100 demands/improve suggestion to mr Pavloff...

And, after a few hours has made more than 20 replies and already change her/his avatar...

Groove Rider GR-16 is an replica to Korg Electribe 2, and, with that, has the same limitations... Just accept that...

Stranger person.

I think you'll find that gr-16 is actually an app on ios. Not a 'replica' of anyghing. And as such can be whatever it chooses to be. Forgive me for having the imagination to suggest improvements.. This forum is hilarious.

• @wim said:

In Audioshare if you touch and hold the sound then select Export from the menu you can copy the sound directly to Groove Riders folder.

• @stormbeats said:

@InfoCheck said:

@stormbeats said:

@InfoCheck said:

@Mark B said:

Thanks in advance

@jimpavloff Really weird for me on ipad air 2 ios 11.2.1 the Grooverider folder has no sub folders showing in files.app? I'am on the latest Grooverider version 1.1.2

ok I sorted - created my own folders

• edited December 2017

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@InfoCheck said:

@stormbeats said:

@InfoCheck said:

@Mark B said:

Thanks in advance

ok I sorted - created my own folders - folder shows now in GR but no samples - i will go into this - i think maybe cos I haved saved patterns in other locations which now iam trying to move in Files app

nope - iam wrong - iam not seeing any root folders - @jimpavloff

• @gusgranite said:
    Welcome @Iostress. I thought your feedback was good to read. Critical and pretty blunt but well thought out. I hope you stick around as I reckon you have some good questions to ask and experience to share.

Hey @gusgranite thanks for the welcome. Good to be here, hopefully ;)

I'm new to ios. Seems like it's really maturing as a serious tool now (beatmaker 3 piqued my interest to look at it again (was considering buying an MPC live at the time....) and then apps like idensity and Fieldscaper have instantly found their way on to records I'm working on. Incredible apps... ).

Dope to have these options in such a portable form. Interested to see where it all leads in future and have some fun with it in the meantime.

I'm glad my suggestions/requests didn't offend you! Maybe I should have sugar coated them a little more but they were aimed purely at the dev for consideration, so a 'matter of fact' approach seemed apt/inoffensive/professional... Not sure why some users got so bent out of shape!? It's not 'their' work/sales/product that I was discussing... Quite odd!

Water under bridge though. Hoping some updates will bring some of the features I'm missing but not holding breath, so many people almost begging for no constructive development is probably enough noise to make dev think 'why bother doing any more work on this? Job done!'.. Which is a shame imo but plenty of other options ;)

• @Iostress said:

@gusgranite said:
    Welcome @Iostress. I thought your feedback was good to read. Critical and pretty blunt but well thought out. I hope you stick around as I reckon you have some good questions to ask and experience to share.

Hey @gusgranite thanks for the welcome. Good to be here, hopefully ;)

I'm new to ios. Seems like it's really maturing as a serious tool now (beatmaker 3 piqued my interest to look at it again (was considering buying an MPC live at the time....) and then apps like idensity and Fieldscaper have instantly found their way on to records I'm working on. Incredible apps... ).

Dope to have these options in such a portable form. Interested to see where it all leads in future and have some fun with it in the meantime.

I'm glad my suggestions/requests didn't offend you! Maybe I should have sugar coated them a little more but they were aimed purely at the dev for consideration, so a 'matter of fact' approach seemed apt/inoffensive/professional... Not sure why some users got so bent out of shape!? It's not 'their' work/sales/product that I was discussing... Quite odd!

Water under bridge though. Hoping some updates will bring some of the features I'm missing but not holding breath, so many people almost begging for no constructive development is probably enough noise to make dev think 'why bother doing any more work on this? Job done!'.. Which is a shame imo but plenty of other options ;)

I think you can make some quality sounds using iOS for sure. I’m pretty new to music production full stop but I have been buying tunes for over 25 years so it feels like a good space for me to play in. This forum has been amazing in learning what the options are on iOS. It’s a great place to interact with the developers as well. The iOS Musicians group on FB has some good chat too.

Don’t give offence and don’t take offence is the way I try to navigate forums :wink:

I would be interested to hear your music if you’re up for sharing it?

• edited December 2017

@jimpavloff I've updated Grooverider to latest 1.1.2
    my ipad pro is ios11
    my ipad air2 is ios11.2.1
    on both my ipads in files app there are no root folders I'am only seeing a "Grooverider" folder.
    i clik on the Groove Rider folder it's empty no sub folders at all? Just the Groove Rider pre installed wav file loops
    Also via iTunes no other folders just Grooverider
    Anyone else with same issue?

• Gee, get over your self now please, who really cares?

@ErrkaPetti said:

...still think this Iostress is a troll...

He/she have a new acount made today, make a huge post about how disabled Groove Rider GR-16 is, and, have an arrogant (sometimes) tones between the lines...

He/she says he/she is a touring artist/musician that have all the rights to have 100 demands/improve suggestion to mr Pavloff...

And, after a few hours has made more than 20 replies and already change her/his avatar...

Groove Rider GR-16 is an replica to Korg Electribe 2, and, with that, has the same limitations... Just accept that...

• @Mark B said:

@wim said:

In Audioshare if you touch and hold the sound then select Export from the menu you can copy the sound directly to Groove Riders folder.

Edit: Sorry, misread your post. You're talking about copying from any app. Fair enough.