Skip to content

Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

Comments

• @jimpavloff said:

@Iostress said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@Iostress said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff Any plans in near future to give GR Auv3 status - that would be really good if in due time GR gets Auv3 implemented then can load multiple instances and record multi stems in a DAW or the AUM Mixer (check Beathawk) I been trying to think of a way to implement multi stem export for future updates - Recording live to seperate tracks in a DAW would be excellent way to expand GR into a full production tool-

Auv3 would limit many capabilities of GR, so I'd better think about how to export stems directly right out of GR.

Curious how would AUv3 limit GR16? I imagine dev has better things to do than to write lengthy explanation but maybe someone less busy can enlighten?

To someone like me with little understanding of the way things work below the surface, it seems like the GR16 UI is ideal for candidate for AU version? Looks almost 'made to measure' ;)

And with the arrival of midi AU (rozeta etc) I figured everything like Probability etc was kind of 'open' now and there was potential for AU's like GR16 that could be self contained instruments inside AU host without being forced to lose features?

Honest question, not trying to bait or belittle. Just curious why things like this wouldn't be possible now on ios and if people think they ever will be any time soon?

Au plugins cannot use more than 384 MB of ram across all shared instances. So it's quite crippling. Specially for a sampler. Midi doesn't need much ram. Unless apple removes the hard limit on ram usage you won't see heavy sample based AUx.

:( good old apple...

Wouldn't something like beathawk AUv3 use same/more ram than GR16 tho?

16sec limit on mono samples in GR16 and 16 per current pattern. I don't know what that calculates as but seems like not very much?

Altho I suppose the way that GR16 stores all samples to cache might be problematic if that entire cache requires to be constantly in ram? As opposed to current pattern only.

Im guessing its pretty clear I have almost zero idea what I'm talking about now :/ haha

I was planning to make AUv3 port of GR in future only for playing back sound/samples. I.e. no pads, no notes, no step sequencer, just a one part playback with one selected sound (part) per AU. Something like a "tone generator" that can be used to play one channel (part sound) of GR. It would be very compact and fast AU though.

• @jimpavloff said:

@Iostress said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@Iostress said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff Any plans in near future to give GR Auv3 status - that would be really good if in due time GR gets Auv3 implemented then can load multiple instances and record multi stems in a DAW or the AUM Mixer (check Beathawk) I been trying to think of a way to implement multi stem export for future updates - Recording live to seperate tracks in a DAW would be excellent way to expand GR into a full production tool-

Auv3 would limit many capabilities of GR, so I'd better think about how to export stems directly right out of GR.

Curious how would AUv3 limit GR16? I imagine dev has better things to do than to write lengthy explanation but maybe someone less busy can enlighten?

To someone like me with little understanding of the way things work below the surface, it seems like the GR16 UI is ideal for candidate for AU version? Looks almost 'made to measure' ;)

And with the arrival of midi AU (rozeta etc) I figured everything like Probability etc was kind of 'open' now and there was potential for AU's like GR16 that could be self contained instruments inside AU host without being forced to lose features?

Honest question, not trying to bait or belittle. Just curious why things like this wouldn't be possible now on ios and if people think they ever will be any time soon?

Au plugins cannot use more than 384 MB of ram across all shared instances. So it's quite crippling. Specially for a sampler. Midi doesn't need much ram. Unless apple removes the hard limit on ram usage you won't see heavy sample based AUx.

16sec limit on mono samples in GR16 and 16 per current pattern. I don't know what that calculates as but seems like not very much?

Altho I suppose the way that GR16 stores all samples to cache might be problematic if that entire cache requires to be constantly in ram? As opposed to current pattern only.

Im guessing its pretty clear I have almost zero idea what I'm talking about now :/ haha

I was planning to make AUv3 port of GR in future only for playing back sound/samples. I.e. no pads, no notes, no step sequencer, just a one part playback with one selected sound (part) per AU. Something like a "tone generator" that can be used to play one channel (part sound) of GR.

@jimpavloff yesssssss see guys told you Jim is the new Einstein - now we talking - good idea Jim

• @stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Iostress said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@Iostress said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

I was planning to make AUv3 port of GR in future only for playing back sound/samples. I.e. no pads, no notes, no step sequencer, just a one part playback with one selected sound (part) per AU. Something like a "tone generator" that can be used to play one channel (part sound) of GR.

@jimpavloff yesssssss see guys told you Jim is the new Einstein - now we talking - good idea Jim

@jimpavloff Jim thats exactly what I meant so can have even just one sound per channel in AUM etc - top top idea dude - Any way you the new Einstein - big up dude - nice one :-)

• @stormbeats said:

@BiancaNeve said:
    I don’t see what the problem is.

Treat each pattern Bank as a project

Reload the appropriate pattern bank as and when you want to continue working on it and export it before you load a different one.

@BiancaNeve Good for you and I never said anything is a problem - If you want to erase all your ipads everytime you transfer and load the Banks do that - I have clearly stated I am not knocking GR - solution thinking. I say no more to you. Each bank is not a project As it stands each bank is infact one bank with 256 pattern each okayyyy.

When you open a project in any DAW, your previously loaded project will be closed. Same stuff is here. Think of 256 user patterns in GR is the currently opened project in your DAW.

• @stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Iostress said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@Iostress said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff Jim thats exactly what I meant so can have even just one sound per channel in AUM etc - top top idea dude - Any way you the new Einstein - big up dude - nice one :-)

@jimpavloff its less of a headache thinking about midi sync too -the user can load up multi instances of GR Auv3 press play and record into chosen AU DAW host

• @jimpavloff not sure if possibe but to have the chosen pad per output i.e 1-16 then in AUM etc you select the GR Tone Generator option output number for each channel -Arm record in the DAW/host - press play in GR - multi outputs recorded in one go - like the old days recording live to tape - sorted or as we say in London "kosher mate"

• @stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff not sure if possibe but to have the chosen pad per output i.e 1-16 then in AUM etc you select the GR Tone Generator option output number for each channel -Arm record in the DAW/host - press play in GR - multi outputs recorded in one go - like the old days recording live to tape - sorted or as we say in London "kosher mate"

@jimpavloff I would happily support you on this even if it was a "paid upgrade".

• edited January 2018

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff not sure if possibe but to have the chosen pad per output i.e 1-16 then in AUM etc you select the GR Tone Generator option output number for each channel -Arm record in the DAW/host - press play in GR - multi outputs recorded in one go - like the old days recording live to tape - sorted or as we say in London "kosher mate"

@jimpavloff I would happily support you on this even if it was a "paid upgrade".

@jimpavloff i will test this on my ipad Air2 and Pro to measure cpu and any glitches recording multi with Beathawk Auv3 app bit later with around 10 - 16 instance each with one sound only generated

• @stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff i will test this on my ipad Air2 and Pro to measure cpu and any glitches recording multi with Beathawk Auv3 app bit later with around 10 - 16 instance each with one sound only generated

I don't see a point of using AUv3 for this. Would be better just to have an option of exporting stems without any mediators.

• @jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

I don't see a point of using AUv3 for this. Would be better just to have an option of exporting stems without any mediators.

ok if the multi stem export has option for multi selected patterns and chain information then could work for sure- though also very flexible using AUM etc as a multi input patchbay and recorder - also for live shows GR could excell on that too.

• @stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

ok if the multi stem export has option for multi selected patterns and chain information then could work for sure- though also very flexible using AUM etc as a multi input patchbay and recorder - also for live shows GR could excell on that too.

@jimpavloff perfect for live on stage Beat Battles too

• @jimpavloff said:

@Iostress said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@Iostress said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

The probability and parameter locks would be a shame to not include in an AU :(

Not sure there's much call for GR16 as a single sound generator, a lot of deep competition in that area out there already. From yourself among others ;)

I dunno.. All I ever do is complain ;) But I'd just port the whole GR16 to AU if technically possible.. For users that seems like it would be the most flexible and 'up to date' move, given how things are opening up everywhere else now on ios. Be a shame for GR16 to sit outside of that and be kind of excluded from everything that's going on in terms of apps working together fluidly.

• @Iostress said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Iostress said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@Iostress said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

Not sure there's much call for GR16 as a single sound generator, a lot of deep competition in that area out there already. From yourself among others ;)

I dunno.. All I ever do is complain ;) But I'd just port the whole GR16 to AU if technically possible.. For users that seems like it would be the most flexible and 'up to date' move, given how things are opening up everywhere else now on ios. Be a shame for GR16 to sit outside of that and be kind of excluded from everything that's going on in terms of apps working together fluidly.

@lostress I agree 100 percent on GR Hosting AU effects - or more effects option - I'am thinking though ahead - the beat is made pre mixed in GR now time for vocals - thats where the brickwall hits us hence iMPC PRO2app recently launched now has full Audio Track capability.You can record vocals into it now but GR for me is way ahead on the beat making side -

• @stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Iostress said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@Iostress said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

@lostress I agree 100 percent on GR Hosting AU effects - or more effects option - I'am thinking though ahead - the beat is made pre mixed in GR now time for vocals - thats where the brickwall hits us hence iMPC PRO2app recently launched now has full Audio Track capability.You can record vocals into it now but GR for me is way ahead on the beat making side

@lostress Would it mean loosing effect paramaters and envelope shaping - ?

• @stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Iostress said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@Iostress said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

@lostress I agree 100 percent on GR Hosting AU effects - or more effects option - I'am thinking though ahead - the beat is made pre mixed in GR now time for vocals - thats where the brickwall hits us hence iMPC PRO2app recently launched now has full Audio Track capability.You can record vocals into it now but GR for me is way ahead on the beat making side

@lostress Would it mean loosing effect paramaters and envelope shaping - ?

@lostress @jimpavloff I know Jim is in the lab as we speak -

• @stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Iostress said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@Iostress said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

@lostress I agree 100 percent on GR Hosting AU effects - or more effects option - I'am thinking though ahead - the beat is made pre mixed in GR now time for vocals - thats where the brickwall hits us hence iMPC PRO2app recently launched now has full Audio Track capability.You can record vocals into it now but GR for me is way ahead on the beat making side -

There's a lot of stuff that GR16 can't do on its own (at present). Nearly all of my most used apps are working 'together' fluidly now via 'complete' AU ports where possible. All boosting the 'overall' environment's functionality.

GR16 is kind of in a grey area tho. Not an effect or (solely) an instrument. And not a daw. So for it to fit in with where other apps are heading....does it host or be hosted? Or neither and just be its own thing?

I guess maybe it was just born to be a bit of a loner...

• @Iostress said:

@stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Iostress said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@Iostress said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

There's a lot of stuff that GR16 can't do on its own (at present). Nearly all of my most used apps are working 'together' fluidly now via 'complete' AU ports where possible. All boosting the 'overall' environment's functionality.

GR16 is kind of in a grey area tho. Not an effect or (solely) an instrument. And not a daw. So for it to fit in with where other apps are heading....does it host or be hosted? Or neither and just be its own thing?

@lostress and from birth can grow into a fully fledged production app - i have all faith in GR

• @stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

@stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Iostress said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@Iostress said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

@lostress and from birth can grow into a fully fledged production app - i have all faith in GR

Haha, optimism! :) Don't forget dev already said that he's planning a deeper app...Not sure how much expansion you should expect from this one bro ;)

Minimum of Eq/HP filter per mixer channel, insert reverbs and separate stems recording/export of live jams and it would be something I could use without need for clunky linking with other apps or au port. Hopefully those things can be added...

I 'could' use it now and have fun/make some decent stuff but found less compromise/awkwardness in using the alternatives so I've shelved it for now and just keeping eye on progress..

• @Iostress said:

@stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

@stormbeats said:

@Iostress said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Iostress said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@Iostress said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

Haha, optimism! :) Don't forget dev already said that he's planning a deeper app...Not sure how much expansion you should expect from this one bro ;)

Minimum of Eq/HP filter per mixer channel, insert reverbs and separate stems recording/export of live jams and it would be something I could use without need for clunky linking with other apps or au port. Hopefully those things can be added...

I 'could' use it now and have fun/make some decent stuff but found less compromise/awkwardness in using the alternatives so I've shelved it for now and just keeping eye on progress..

I hear ya - no worries -

• edited January 2018

@jimpavloff

<3 fucking great idea !!!

• edited January 2018

@jimpavloff said:

Awesome! Stem export is what I was doing with my electribe2 to Ableton for further development.

• @jimpavloff I had a re think about the tone generator idea - you mean to be used a sound module only - no option to record any pad triggering?

• @stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff I had a re think about the tone generator idea - you mean to be used a sound module only - no option to record any pad triggering?

Yes, you would need some external sequencer to write your notes/parts in there and play the AU's, some Daw like Cubasis for example

• @jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff I had a re think about the tone generator idea - you mean to be used a sound module only - no option to record any pad triggering?

Yes, you would need some external sequencer to write your notes/parts in there and play the AU's, some Daw like Cubasis for example

In BM3 you could have a gr16 'voice' instance per pad in a bank. Still give you the 16 pads together. But losing the probability, parameter locks and things like arpeggio+ xy and 'jump' mode....There won't be much left really besides a pretty basic sound design palette? Not sure who would use it? Besides @dendy who would prob buy GR16 aftershave if you sold it as IAP ;) (just joking Dendy :)

If not planning a more full-functioning AU then my vote goes for just forget AU all together and focus time/energy on developing the app itself as standalone ;)

Not trying to be negative. Just failing to see the glamour in a 'one voice AU' with the GR16 sampler. Especially for anyone using BM3. Seems more of a hassle than a legit solution to anything?

• Ideally it would be an AU like it is now but with multi track output. But I don’t think any host supports that yet.

• @Telengard said:

@jimpavloff said:

Awesome! Stem export is what I was doing with my electribe2 to Ableton for further development.

Stems, stems, stems... :)

• edited January 2018

@Iostress

First of all, GR16 is not sampler, it is synth based groovebox with added basic sampling features... In first place it is synth, not sampler, and synth with great engine...

most probably 99% sounds can be tweaked also on Poison202, because they share same engine, but what is interesting on GR16 is that it is very simple to get some sounds - architecture of predefined oscillator combinations works perfectly, Jim did great job ... I personally like all XFM: * oscillators, really great sound colors for my music style...

You can get a lot synth colors literally after few seconds, where tweak same thing on standard complex synth can take tenths of minutes...

Plus ability to combine piano roll in DAW, midi tools like BrsmBos's Rozetta package with simple bud effective GR16 synth engine, and then apply other AU fxs on it - this sounds like pretty much hell lot of inspirstion during producing music...

Btw. you would probably not believe :) but there is hell lot music genres which is based on synthesis not on sampling... Synthesis and layering - posibility to layer 3-4 "part" instances and create one huge complex synth sound controlled by single midi channel in DAW sounds super great for me...

For producing in daw i don't need arpeggiator (cause i edit all notes in piano roll manually for total control over it), pads, stepsequencer and other goodness which makes sense when GR16 is used as standalone groovebox.. in DAW i need just sound source, rest stuff is my standard workflow in that DAW

Thats why i would very appreciate to hsvevsingle GR part/voice available as AU plugin.

• @Littlewoodg said:

@Telengard said:

@jimpavloff said:

Stems, stems, stems... :)

Yes, yes, yes.... :)

• edited January 2018

@dendy said:
    @Iostress

First of all, GR16 is not sampler, it is synth based groovebox with added basic sampling features... In first place it is synth, not sampler, and synth with great engine...

most probably 99% sounds can be tweaked also on Poison202, because they share same engine, but what is interesting on GR16 is that it is very simple to get some sounds - architecture of predefined oscillator combinations combinations works perfectly, Jim did great job ...

You can get a lot synth colors literally after few seconds, where tweak same thing on standard complex synth can take tenths of minutes...

Plus ability to combine piano roll in DAW, midi tools like BrsmBos's Rozetta package with simple bud effective GR16 synth engine, and then apply other AU fxs on it - this sounds like pretty much hell lot of inspirstion during producing music...

Btw. there is lot music genres which are based on synthesis not on sampling..

You totally missed my point. But Yeh, if you want the gr16 synth/sampler and don't own any good AU synths and/or bm3 already, then by all means, GR16 will give you some sounds. Not a very exciting prospect for me personally tho. Too many better options already for that. Sound design is not GR16's strongest selling point imo. It's definitely useable for designing patches but I have plenty of AU already that are as good/better for that. I'm sure most people have? And the main point was that this kind of 'one voice au' doesn't solve the main issue of stems/separate outputs etc or carry any of GR16's real strengths with it, which was what lead in to us talking about it.

Great condescending tone in your final paragraph...

• @jimpavloff

Really enjoying your app, considering how far it’s out of my wheelhouse I am having a blast, thanks for all your efforts. I’ve even made a few decent osc patches which is rare for me but speaks to the usability of your creation.

Any chance of a folder of premade Osc patches, maybe a storehouse for all the ones you’ve created in your demos and a place to put my attempts which would be available for fast access. Sometimes I just want to jump in and get a beat going without messing with a list of oscillators and have to create a sound from scratch. Trance, EDM, what ever you want to put in there would be great, thanks.