Skip to content

Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

Comments

• edited February 2018

@LucidMusicInc said:

@jimpavloff said:

@db909 said:
    Hot tip maybe: when you are recording or have the pattern playing and save to a new slot during recording and/or playback, you can double tap the play button, pausing and resuming real quickly, to have the pattern save immediately to the new slot rather than having to wait for it to loop back for the changes to be saved. You can keep doing this while recording too, making it very fluid to build up longer phrases.

BUT, because this works so well, it kind of begs the question, @jimpavloff is it feasible to have the “save to new” function do this automatically? Meaning when you hit save to new the changes are immediately saved and the pattern switches to the new version seamlessly and instantly? It’s not a big deal like I said because this works fine, but it makes me wonder.

Looks pretty possible... But I have to think about the caveats and bugs it would fetch.

+1 for a rethought save procedure. A simple onscreen menu like save, save as, duplicate, cancel rather than the default overwrite.

Shift plus write basically gives you all of that doesn’t it? Write is save, shift plus write and save to new is your save as. Shift plus write plus revert to saved will cancel changes, and then copy covers all the duplicating stuff. I was referring specifically to the requirement that save to new only take effect once the loop completes or playback is stopped momentarily.

• @LucidMusicInc said:
    +1 for a rethought save procedure. A simple onscreen menu like save, save as, duplicate, cancel rather than the default overwrite.

SHIFT + Write :wink:

• edited February 2018

@db909 said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@jimpavloff said:

@db909 said:
    Hot tip maybe: when you are recording or have the pattern playing and save to a new slot during recording and/or playback, you can double tap the play button, pausing and resuming real quickly, to have the pattern save immediately to the new slot rather than having to wait for it to loop back for the changes to be saved. You can keep doing this while recording too, making it very fluid to build up longer phrases.

BUT, because this works so well, it kind of begs the question, @jimpavloff is it feasible to have the “save to new” function do this automatically? Meaning when you hit save to new the changes are immediately saved and the pattern switches to the new version seamlessly and instantly? It’s not a big deal like I said because this works fine, but it makes me wonder.

Looks pretty possible... But I have to think about the caveats and bugs it would fetch.

Shift plus write basically gives you all of that doesn’t it?

Too complicated when you're thinking of other things. I'm always overwriting things I wish I hadn't. :s

Edit: maybe you could add those items onscreen menu for the writing in the pattern category.

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@db909 said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@jimpavloff said:

@db909 said:

Shift plus write basically gives you all of that doesn’t it?

Too complicated when you're thinking of other things. I'm always overwriting things I wish I hadn't. :s

Yeah you just need to drill shift plus write plus save to new into your head, it takes 2 seconds but I get where you’re coming from

• edited February 2018

...maybe a little panel with these options popping up right next to the button when hitting WRITE.

• About the new shift+select feature - Isn't it designed to select multiple notes for joint editing while holding shift??

• @rs2000 said:
    About the new shift+select feature - Isn't it designed to select multiple notes for joint editing while holding shift??

No, it only selects a step range.

• I’m so close to getting this drum app guys. But still wondering if it’s for me. I’m an Electric guitar player and already have most drum apps. But this one intrigues me a lot. I’d like to see how good is it for creating rock, soft rock, contemporary rock music. Haven’t heard or seen any YouTube videos on this, or is it mostly for EDM crowd??

• @jimpavloff said:

@rs2000 said:
    About the new shift+select feature - Isn't it designed to select multiple notes for joint editing while holding shift??

No, it only selects a step range.

OK sorry, to be more clear: Would it be asking too much to enable both selection of a step range and individual steps like step one and step nine, for example? You would hold shift and instead of swiping over a step range you'd tap on all the steps you want to edit.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    I’m so close to getting this drum app guys. But still wondering if it’s for me. I’m an Electric guitar player and already have most drum apps. But this one intrigues me a lot. I’d like to see how good is it for creating rock, soft rock, contemporary rock music. Haven’t heard or seen any YouTube videos on this, or is it mostly for EDM crowd??

GR-16 can do so much more. Import your own samples or use the wide selection that's included and not restricted to EDM. Lots of synthesis and realtime modulation options, you can play and record melodies, in other words it's likely the best groovebox app you can get today.

• Thanks! Was wondering about the patterns in it. Are there any rock grooves?

@rs2000 said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    I’m so close to getting this drum app guys. But still wondering if it’s for me. I’m an Electric guitar player and already have most drum apps. But this one intrigues me a lot. I’d like to see how good is it for creating rock, soft rock, contemporary rock music. Haven’t heard or seen any YouTube videos on this, or is it mostly for EDM crowd??

GR-16 can do so much more. Import your own samples or use the wide selection that's included and not restricted to EDM. Lots of synthesis and realtime modulation options, you can play and record melodies, in other words it's likely the best groovebox app you can get today.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Thanks! Was wondering about the patterns in it. Are there any rock grooves?

@rs2000 said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

Why not record them yourself?
    Choose the drum instruments and record the patterns you want. It's a matter of minutes.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:

@rs2000 said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

A. To call it a drum app is a bit of a miss. It can do all the rest of the music as well.
    B. The included patterns are mostly dance, electronic stuff but you can make any type of music with this. Import some orchestral sounds and write a symphony. There are no genre limitations here

I would say this is mostly a create it all on your own type app as opposed to Groovebox or others that encourage using preset patterns so if you want rock grooves you’ll have to make them yourself. I mention that cause I know how you like your drum/chord generators, etc

• Yeah thanks! I’ve been getting a little better at it myself :D with BM3 and iMPC Pro2 actually :o

But if this app helps you build such patterns a lot easier and then chain them somehow to create the bones of a song sort of speak, then it might work for me. Thing is, I do like patterns cause as a non drummer,they get my creative juices flowing.

@db909 said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

@rs2000 said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

A. To call it a drum app is a bit of a miss. It can do all the rest of the music as well.
    B. The included patterns are mostly dance, electronic stuff but you can make any type of music with this. Import some orchestral sounds and write a symphony. There are no genre limitations here

I would say this is mostly a create it all on your own type app as opposed to Groovebox or others that encourage using preset patterns so if you want rock grooves you’ll have to make them yourself. I mention that cause I know how you like your drum/chord generators, etc

• @jimpavloff any thoughts or progress on an inbuilt sampler - would be a game changeto be able to sample inter app or vinyl from my technics 1200s via camera connection kit/usb soundcard into GR as well as other analogue outboard sources and sampling from one ipad to another into GR.
    Also an option to choose the left or right side of a stereo sample imported into GR - I know GR converts to mono however it mixes the stereo channel into a Left/Right merged sample - I currently use Audioshare to convert Stereo sounds into mono left or right but be cool feature to be able to do this all in GR making GR even more an independant app.This feature I asked the Beatmaker3 devs to implement and they managed it - however GR is now for me the leading app.
    This is very useful when you take a sample and for example vocals are panned left and drums panned right and the user wants just the drums.

• @jimpavloff this is an example from bm3 where you can convert and choose the left or right of a sample.

• @stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff any thoughts or progress on an inbuilt sampler - would be a game changeto be able to sample inter app or vinyl from my technics 1200s via camera connection kit/usb soundcard into GR as well as other analogue outboard sources and sampling from one ipad to another into GR.
    Also an option to choose the left or right side of a stereo sample imported into GR - I know GR converts to mono however it mixes the stereo channel into a Left/Right merged sample - I currently use Audioshare to convert Stereo sounds into mono left or right but be cool feature to be able to do this all in GR making GR even more an independant app.This feature I asked the Beatmaker3 devs to implement and they managed it - however GR is now for me the leading app.
    This is very useful when you take a sample and for example vocals are panned left and drums panned right and the user wants just the drums.

The framework I using for importing audio files does not give stereo conversion options, unfortunately.
    There's no near plans for making built-in Sampler.
    Currently, in the upcoming update, I'm adding patterns chain audio export options (both master output and separate stems).

• Any owners of the Electribe hardware here? I'm curious to hear what owners of the actual hardware can tell about the workflow of GR16 compared to the original...
    Sorry if this already has been answered but I'm too lazy to search through 69 pages ;-)

• edited February 2018

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:
    @jimpavloff any thoughts or progress on an inbuilt sampler - would be a game changeto be able to sample inter app or vinyl from my technics 1200s via camera connection kit/usb soundcard into GR as well as other analogue outboard sources and sampling from one ipad to another into GR.

The framework I using for importing audio files does not give stereo conversion options, unfortunately.
    Currently, in the upcoming update, I'm adding patterns chain audio export options (both master output and separate stems).

@jimpavloff excellent Jim look forward to the next update - will this include the pattern repeats too?

• @stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff excellent Jim look forward to the next update - will this include the pattern repeats too?

Yes you will be able to use pattern's "Chain Repeat" parameter together with these functions to render any pattern two or more repeat cycles.

• edited February 2018

@SFXGuy said:
    Any owners of the Electribe hardware here? I'm curious to hear what owners of the actual hardware can tell about the workflow of GR16 compared to the original...
    Sorry if this already has been answered but I'm too lazy to search through 69 pages ;-)

It's 150% better. It has the same workflow plus more. The sample slicing is awesome and simple.

• @alecsbuga said:

@SFXGuy said:
    Any owners of the Electribe hardware here? I'm curious to hear what owners of the actual hardware can tell about the workflow of GR16 compared to the original...

It's 150% better. It has the same workflow plus more. The sample slicing is awesome and simple.

Thanks!
    Ok, I think I'll give it a try now...

• Anyone care to make a short vid on the rock patterns? Really appreciate it. Close to pushing the buy button :#

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Anyone care to make a short vid on the rock patterns? Really appreciate it. Close to pushing the buy button :#

Man with the proper samples you can make a rock beat in anything that supports samples and midi ;)

• @jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

@jimpavloff said:

@stormbeats said:

Yes you will be able to use pattern's "Chain Repeat" parameter together with these functions to render any pattern two or more repeat cycles.

@jimpavloff excellent dude thanks - this is good news Jim

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Anyone care to make a short vid on the rock patterns? Really appreciate it. Close to pushing the buy button :#

I didn’t come across any preset patterns that screamed rock to me, but I don’t really use them to be honest. But seriously, it’s real easy to make stuff between the pad sequencer, piano roll sequencer, live recording, arpeggiator (which can be used for any sound including percussion). It’s basically a mobile daw, only your music is saved in 1 to 4 bar patterns which you then chain together

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Yeah thanks! I’ve been getting a little better at it myself :D with BM3 and iMPC Pro2 actually :o

But if this app helps you build such patterns a lot easier and then chain them somehow to create the bones of a song sort of speak, then it might work for me. Thing is, I do like patterns cause as a non drummer,they get my creative juices flowing.

@db909 said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

@rs2000 said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

To be honest, I think you're barking up the wrong tree here. This app has HUGE strengths, and it's one of my all-time top favorites, but for what you're saying you want it for, I'm not so sure it adds much to what you already have.

• Thanks Wim and all! I guess I might stick to the ones I already own. Maybe I’ll end up getting it to support the dev and learn this app and perhaps adapt it to my workflow somehow.
    I’m mostly into Acoustic drums and having the ability to load samples here seems really appealing!

Are we able to add effects on a per pad basis? Like say a pad is playing a snare, can we add reverb to that sound alone?

• You can - I use it all the time on my snares and you can filter it add LFO or delay.

• edited February 2018

@NTKK said:
    You can - I use it all the time on my snares and you can filter it add LFO or delay.

Reverb isn’t an insert fx. Just delay. So @MusicMan4Christ you have 1 insert fx per pad and there’s a bunch but not reverb. Reverb can be a send fx and each instrument has their own send dial or it can be a master fx. But mostly send. So all together it’s one insert fx per part. Per part send fx amount and master fx. But of course you can automate the shit out of everything to get “effects”