Skip to content

Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

Comments

• Would be cool to have a quick way to toggle between this and regular erase mode, maybe shift plus erase but if it’s gotta be in the settings, then it’s gotta be in the settings.

• @rs2000 said:

sorry for causing confusion, I think the way recording and erasing works atm is already great as-is. Erasing events depending on existing data would be more confusing than helpful in my opinion.

That's will be an optional record mode global setting. You choose whatever you want it. Current record mode will be left as default.

• @jimpavloff said:

@rs2000 said:

sorry for causing confusion, I think the way recording and erasing works atm is already great as-is. Erasing events depending on existing data would be more confusing than helpful in my opinion.

That's will be an optional record mode global setting. You choose whatever you want it. Current record mode will be left as default.

Nice.
    Thanks for fixing the OSC pitch knob by the way, it's a pleasure to use now :)

• I’m not an expert on scales but why do the Byzantine through Arabic scales, when in chord mode, play a root note octaves down for every chord? Is that a thing with these scales? I don’t think it sounds too good but I’m willing to be educated.

• @db909 said:
    I’m not an expert on scales but why do the Byzantine through Arabic scales, when in chord mode, play a root note octaves down for every chord? Is that a thing with these scales? I don’t think it sounds too good but I’m willing to be educated.

This is done intentionally. There's no special musical theory behind this.

• @jimpavloff said:

@db909 said:
    I’m not an expert on scales but why do the Byzantine through Arabic scales, when in chord mode, play a root note octaves down for every chord? Is that a thing with these scales? I don’t think it sounds too good but I’m willing to be educated.

This is done intentionally. There's no special musical theory behind this.

Right on

• edited April 2018

Was thinking about chain mode. I wonder if there was an optional chain mode setting called “linear” that simply played through the patterns in the order you see them from wherever you press play from, you still setting number of repeats. Might save some time from having to always go to each pattern, scroll the menu and choose chain to and so on. Also would be pretty straightforward to grasp for people making full songs, and copy/paste would do just fine for moving things. Might even make it easier to perform with as you would always know exactly what’s playing next and could see it in the pattern list. Exporting a chain could be a matter of “patterns 1 through 16”, etc just choosing the start and end. It’s almost easier now to just select the patterns in your preferred order while you record into something else. I guess if you need stems you take the time to make a chain. But for building tracks in the app, it seems like a simple linear playlist style chain mode could be helpful. Not complaining, just a thought

• edited April 2018

@db909 said:
    Was thinking about chain mode. I wonder if there was an optional chain mode setting called “linear” that simply played through the patterns in the order you see them from wherever you press play from, you still setting number of repeats. Might save some time from having to always go to each pattern, scroll the menu and choose chain to and so on. Also would be pretty straightforward to grasp for people making full songs, and copy/paste would do just fine for moving things. Might even make it easier to perform with as you would always know exactly what’s playing next and could see it in the pattern list. Exporting a chain could be a matter of “patterns 1 through 16”, etc just choosing the start and end. It’s almost easier now to just select the patterns in your preferred order while you record into something else. I guess if you need stems you take the time to make a chain. But for building tracks in the app, it seems like a simple linear playlist style chain mode could be helpful. Not complaining, just a thought

Maybe it could be even easier, for example, in Pattern menu something like Chain To: "Next Pattern". So you could combine two modes this way

• @jimpavloff said:

@db909 said:

Maybe it could be even easier, for example, in Pattern menu something like Chain To: "Next Pattern". So you could combine two modes this way

That would work. I guess I was thinking along the lines of something you could flip on and then not think about save for number of repeats.

• @jimpavloff said:

@JangoMango said:
    Hey dudes...

How do you copy a whole sequence to the next bank?
    Aaaand...
    How do you make it song length ? I.e more than the 4 bars?

Thanks a lot.

Depends on what you mean by sequence and by bank. If you mean a pattern, there's a chain pattern mode, which allows you to chain several patterns to be played one after another.

Jim
    Is there a tutorial video on that?

• @RUST( i )K said:

@jimpavloff said:

@JangoMango said:
    Hey dudes...

How do you copy a whole sequence to the next bank?
    Aaaand...
    How do you make it song length ? I.e more than the 4 bars?

Thanks a lot.

Depends on what you mean by sequence and by bank. If you mean a pattern, there's a chain pattern mode, which allows you to chain several patterns to be played one after another.

Jim
    Is there a tutorial video on that?

Set chain mode to “on” in settings menu. In pattern menu tell it where you want it chained to, meaning what plays next and how many times you want it to repeat before advancing. The manual is fantastic :smile:

• @db909 said:

@db909 this is an excellent suggestion with an option on/off in settings

• @stormbeats said:

@db909 said:

@db909 this is an excellent suggestion with an option on/off in settings

Yeah, I like this too. Would save a good chunk of time in my workflow, which is usually linear like your example.

• A first GR-16 tutorial ever by Electronisounds, just in case for those people who asked for any sort of tutorial in this thread. Most of the basic features covered:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1RzXPZUyBA

• @jimpavloff said:
    A first GR-16 tutorial ever by Electronisounds, just in case for those people who asked for any sort of tutorial in this thread.

>

I got two things from watching this. One, with great versatility comes great complexity. :) But also that some kind of autosave would be useful.

• I thought that was a good balance between informative and entertaining, well done Mr E. I look forward to him doing a psytrance with Grooverider episode

• @jimpavloff said:

@db909 said:

Shuffle mode! B)

• edited April 2018

Jim, forgive me for asking if the app can already do this, but in present form it seems ideal for particular genres, such as EDM and D&B, plus Hip-Hop.

So I am wondering if you have any plans to diversify, like Luis Martinez, and release a Groove Rider Smooth edition, more suited to AOR, light Jazz, ambient tunes and slower rhythms?

• edited April 2018

@Zen210507 said:
    Jim, forgive me for asking if the app can already do this, but in present form it seems ideal for particular genres, such as EDM and D&B, plus Hip-Hop.

So I am wondering if you have any plans to diversify, like Luis Martinez, and release a Groove Rider Smooth edition, more suited to AOR, light Jazz, ambient tunes and slower rhythms?

Not accurate at all in my opinion. You’ve got an acoustic instrument selection built in as well as sample import. You can make anything with this. Sure the design is a design that is typically used to make such genres but personally I feel like I can do whatever I want with this. There’s plenty of acoustic percussion in there too. Like I’ve made patterns that sound like some Billy Joel piano, 80s stuff

• @db909 said:
    Not accurate at all in my opinion. You’ve got an acoustic instrument selection built in as well as sample import. You can make anything with this. Sure the design is a design that is typically used to make such genres but personally I feel like I can do whatever I want with this. There’s plenty of acoustic percussion in there too. Like I’ve made patterns that sound like some Billy Joel piano, 80s stuff

>

Great, thanks for the info. :)

• I've done riffs in lots of different styles just to see if I could, and I really don't feel there's anything genre or style specific about the app. Luis' apps have loads of patterns and samples, plus some "jam" algorithms that are type-specific in each app. Groove rider has a pretty broad selection of samples, and the synth is whatever you can craft it to be. So I'd say it's largely genre neutral.

However, it's hard to imagine doing ambient in it just because it's very much beat-based and geared toward shorter patterns. Something geared toward that wouldn't be a variation of this app, it would be something entirely different ... IMO.

Cheers. B)

• Try slowing the tempo down. You'd be surprised what breakbeat sounds like at 90-110 BPM.

• And don’t forget Midi Out to all your favorite AU soft synths in AUM B)<3

• @wim said:
    I've done riffs in lots of different styles just to see if I could, and I really don't feel there's anything genre or style specific about the app. Luis' apps have loads of patterns and samples, plus some "jam" algorithms that are type-specific in each app. Groove rider has a pretty broad selection of samples, and the synth is whatever you can craft it to be. So I'd say it's largely genre neutral.

However, it's hard to imagine doing ambient in it just because it's very much beat-based and geared toward shorter patterns. Something geared toward that wouldn't be a variation of this app, it would be something entirely different ... IMO.

All sounding very encouraging. :)

• @jimpavloff said:
    A first GR-16 tutorial ever by Electronisounds, just in case for those people who asked for any sort of tutorial in this thread. Most of the basic features covered:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1RzXPZUyBA

Yeah, Dean is making great videos! Great guy, just like you, @jimpavloff

• @echoopera said:
    And don’t forget Midi Out to all your favorite AU soft synths in AUM B)<3

>

A feature with much potential for the creation of less frantic music.

• edited April 2018

I just realized that the arpeg and arpeg plus scale modes on the touchpad do not record any notes at all if you are holding the erase button as well, unlike the purely scale mode behavior. Since they record the notes regularly otherwise and since this behavior is NOT the case with the normal scale mode, I’m wondering if it would be a big to do to make it so they do erase + record new notes like the scale mode. This would make it super easy to experiment with all kinds of weird percussion rhythms that you may not otherwise venture into and also whip up a drum beat really quickly as well I imagine. If not for that reason than purely to have consistent behavior across the note playing functions on the touchpad. Not a big deal though

• edited May 2018

Very impressed! Congrats, amazing work. Think I won't manage avoiding buying this :)

• When you say "each step consist of up to 4 voices (notes)", does that mean that chords with more than 4 notes aren't possible? :/ songwriter sadness :/

• Is the synth engine a full Poison-202 or is it stripped down somehow? (Poison sounds so good!!!).

• More than 16 steps possible somehow?

• "Each step can be time shifted forward/backward a fractional value" So is it possible to have slightly off grid steps for more wonky stuff?

• I see that you can record automations, is it also possible to do per-step automations (Elektron parameter locks-style)? I find that this brings a lot of variation and expressivity into sequences, especially when you start changing settings like tape delays or lfo values per step. If not, this would probably be my most wanted feature.

• @stelvio It's the one app that I couldn't part with, I think. It can do so much.

When you say "each step consist of up to 4 voices (notes)", does that mean that chords with more than 4 notes aren't possible? :/ songwriter sadness :/
    Only 4 notes per step per track. You could double up on tracks to represent one sound and double the polyphony. @jimpavloff , does the sequencer only send 4 midi notes from a track at a time? Or could you put a 4 note chord on one step, another 4 note chord on the step immediately after, and then use the off grid timing to "Slide" them to layer the chord up to 8 notes for midi? This hasn't been a serious limitation for me at this point.

Is the synth engine a full Poison-202 or is it stripped down somehow? (Poison sounds so good!!!).
    I'm sure Jim will chime in, but it's simplified; only two "synth" parameters for what is usually two oscillators, along with ADSR and filter. I've learned to really love this simplification. Again, its midi out so you can have any sounds you want...even Poison.

More than 16 steps possible somehow?
    You can extend the pattern length to 4 bars, so 64 steps. You can also change the 1-bar step length on an individual part for interesting polymeters.

"Each step can be time shifted forward/backward a fractional value" So is it possible to have slightly off grid steps for more wonky stuff?
    Yes. You can turn quantize off for recording, employ swing, or manually move notes off the grid in any of the sequence edit modes.

**I see that you can record automations, is it also possible to do per-step automations (Elektron parameter locks-style)? I find that this brings a lot of variation and expressivity into sequences, especially when you start changing settings like tape delays or lfo values per step. If not, this would probably be my most wanted feature.
    Yes. In Seq+Edit mode, you can hold a step's pad and alter that step's parameters for Elektron style p-locks.

• @jimpavloff give us some in-app purchases. I got this at intro pricing and I feel as if I've made out.